• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacramento cops tried to run over man before shooting him (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayu26

In which universe is firing 18 shots for whatever reason at a homeless person full of meth acceptable?

Wait, I may have ended up asking a retorical question.

Henkka

Banned
Zero justification for lethal force that I could see. He stops running, and gesticulates with his hands a bit. Maybe he had a knife? But he wasn't coming toward the cops, so... I'd call it murder.

There was a protest about this killing recently I believe.

Sacramento is a shitty place if you leave the downtown areas.

This is just north of downtown and I ride that train a couple times a week and that area is ruff.

That's the Sac cops mentality for sure tho

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
no comment on the shooting, but that video did not look like he tried to run him over regardless of what was said.

Cops are basically executing people with mental illness or mental disorders.

That is not their mandate; they are supposed to serve and protect, including people who need help

eFKac

no comment on the shooting, but that video did not look like he tried to run him over regardless of what was said.

Yeah I don't see the cops trying to run him over from the surveillance footage. Maybe I'm missing something.

tkscz

Are they putting ANY kind of mental checks or test in police academies? These two are CLEARLY sociopaths who cared nothing for the life of this man and only for the "fun" they were having. They need to be locked up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
they fired 18 shots at Mann, hitting him with 14
So they just went in all guns blazing and missed four times?

We could have been reading a story of two victims.

Yeah I don't see the cops trying to run him over from the surveillance footage. Maybe I'm missing something.

One of the officers says “f--- this guy” in the frantic final minute before they shot Joseph Mann on Del Paso Boulevard. Moments later, the driver says, “I’m going to hit him.”

“OK. Go for it. Go for it,” his partner responds.

During that sequence, the officers gunned their vehicle toward Mann, backed up, turned and then drove toward him again, based on dashcam video released by police.

I don't see how you wouldn't see it. The driver slows down and acknowledges that there is a person headed towards the street. If he had no intentions to hit him, why did the driver accelerate (to the point where the tires are screeching) as he is pointing the car in the direction of the person? He clearly wasn't trying to go down that road because the driver went back around to try and hit him again.

EDIT: I see someone mentioned that you didn't see the extra footage, yeah it's all there. It's pretty bad

fixedpoint

This is murder. Failure to comply, yelling and throwing a Thermos are not capital offenses.
What do you think they should have done???
Tased him??
They shouldn't have murdered him. Murder is illegal for a reason.
Read up.
One of the officers says “f--- this guy” in the frantic final minute before they shot Joseph Mann on Del Paso Boulevard. Moments later, the driver says, “I’m going to hit him.”
“OK. Go for it. Go for it,” his partner responds.

Skilletor

You think "not the cops in my city, no sir!" and then this happens. Eighteen shots!

Cop just got off some abuse charges in Colorado Springs.

The scary part: the guy who got abused by the cops LITERALLY had my name. I was reading the article and got scared as fuck, like it was a premonition or something.

aeolist

Banned
They're complete psychopaths that think it's cool or fun to see 'action'. The way he talks about the 'ramming' seriously, dude's on a playground getting a kick out of it, who the fuck would seriously think ramming someone on foot with a car is a good tactic? It's for their fucking amusement and excitement. After reading that article on the documentary, US cops are pretty much vetted and trained to be homicidal power hungry psychopaths, and they have virtually no regulation or constraints. The police union crushes anyone that disagrees on the inside, and they eliminate DA's that even try to do anything.

Yet politicians are treating it like a relatively minor issue of excessive force and racism in police, if even that. It's fucked up that it's not even between System broken <-> Just excessive force, no it's between Excessive force <-> Nothings wrong.

i have family members who work with cops and anecdotally this is completely true. they'll dodge "boring" calls all the time and as soon as there's anything that sounds "exciting" there will be way too many squad cars peeling out to try and get there ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom