• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 Scans From GI (Plus Others)

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
It's a win-win situtation for me. GI's diligent editors win because now people aren't reading their efforts for free, and I win because I don't have to get angered over another GI feature.

Invader Zim said:
Red "x" MP2 ROCKS!!!

Yeah :(

Redbeard said:
Q: "What does everyone think of it?"
A: "Can't wait!" "Looks awesome!" "GOTY!"

Q: "Why can't you wait?"
A: "..."

I'm asking what it is about this game that is appealing. I'm asking what it is that people can't wait to do, exactly. To look for items? Solve "puzzles"? Deathmatch? etc...

I can't wait to shoot stuff in Halo 2!

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I guess many of you somehow skimmed over the fact that Retro is considering dual control schemes, especially for the multi-player. (dual-analog) Plus the fact that they are nigh complete with the game (70%+) & admittedly said that they would have ample time for overall game polish, (unlike in MP) I would assume for secondary control implementation as well. In fact I would even expect it.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>Actually I think going first-person was a Nintendo decision in that a first-person game is easier to bug-test and polish than a third-person 3D game is. I think I heard that from Miyamoto.<<<

Who gives a fuck if it's faithful to the series as long as it's easy to bug-test? Asshole... (Miyamoto, not Kobun Heat)

And, Society, shoes were basically a random choice. How about a drawing a platypus or a snowflake to jump instead?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Society said:
?

Why can you not jump without shoes? I can.
:lol

and are the pics down at the link (too lazy to look) because this is one of the longest times I have ever seen a scan thread last on GA.

AniHawk

Yeah, I would really like a dual control option put in. GoldenEye had several control options, and that was seven freakin' years ago.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I guess many of you somehow skimmed over the fact that Retro is considering dual control schemes, especially for the multi-player. (dual-analog) Plus the fact that they are nigh complete with the game (70%+) & admittedly said that they would have ample time for overall game polish, (unlike in MP) I would assume for secondary control implementation as well. In fact I would even expect it.<<<<

I already said that a different control scheme would only help make it a better game, not a better Metroid game. First-person is the main thing holding the series back.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
TAJ said:
Who gives a fuck if it's faithful to the series as long as it's easy to bug-test? Asshole... (Miyamoto, not Kobun Heat)

Meh that is totally subjective. The game felt like metorid to me.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Put it in 3rd person in the most cramped areas in the game? Are you a moron? You're in morphball mode then! Do you think Retro were saying it's hard for the game to work in 3rd person in cramped areas for no reason? They were saying it because Samus would take up so much of the screen and it would be hard to see who she should be shooting in cramped areas, amongst other things. Which is not a problem for the morphball, as it's so small.

As for Retro beginning to get the hint...haha, as if. Forget it, this is the way 3D Metroids are going to be. Prime was so well received and praised across the board, Echoes has so far been the same and there's even a DS game in first person. The only things which are in 3rd person are the parts which would be complete and utter shit in first person. If you think that's taking a hint that 3rd person would be better, I don't know what to say.

I don't even know why I've bothered responding, it's obvious you're just pissed off at Nintendo for some reason having thrown in a completely random and unjustified dig at the DS in the middle of a MP2 topic, but there you go.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
First-person is the main thing holding the series back.

Care to explain? Prime is one of the best playing, most polished games to be released in a VERY long time...and simply crushes the two recent 2D Metroid efforts. They re-invented the series and took it beyond its roots. Why must people cling to the 3rd person idea? Is it really that important to SEE Samus on screen?!

TAJ

>>>>Put it in 3rd person in the most cramped areas in the game? Are you a moron? You're in morphball mode then! Do you think Retro were saying it's hard for the game to work in 3rd person in cramped areas for no reason? They were saying it because Samus would take up so much of the screen and it would be hard to see who she should be shooting in cramped areas, amongst other things. Which is not a problem for the morphball, as it's so small.<<<<

How big Samus is on screen is almost entirely dependant on camera placement and the focal length of the "lens". If anything, Samus is more likely to take up the whole screen in ball mode, because it is closer to the shape of most people's TVs than the standing Samus.
(ball is 1:1, TV is 1.33:1, standing about 1:2.2

>>>I don't even know why I've bothered responding, it's obvious you're just pissed off at Nintendo for some reason having thrown in a completely random and unjustified dig at the DS in the middle of a MP2 topic, but there you go.<<<

It was hardly random. It was less a dig at DS, and more a dig at fanboy goggles. Metroid Prime's reviews and sales benefitted from a healthy dose of both that and nostalgia. (which MP played to shamelessly, but only on the most superficial level)

I booted up Prime 1 last night and took more than 20 minutes to look at the first three rooms in the game. It is probably the only game where you could catch a new detail every time you play. Did you know you can even shoot asteroids in the distance in the very first room and they break apart realistically? Did you know that in the first room you can see windows on the frigate that (as far as I can tell) you can actually go to inside and look out from? Seriously, this is one of the many reasons why Prime got praised up and down. The attention to detail is unlike anything else in the industry and reminds me of Peter Jackson's approach to LotR with details that maybe nobody will ever see, but having them there makes the world whole.

The GI article put it best really. When you play the games it feels like you are Samus and you really are on a living, breathing planet.

Now, if I can only complete this time machine to jump to November.....

TAJ

>>>The GI article put it best really. When you play the games it feels like you are Samus and you really are on a living, breathing planet.<<<

I'd rather feel like I was playing a Metroid game. :p If I want Shenmue, I'll play Shenmue.
Or, as they say, "You can't polish a turd.", and, "They couldn't see the forest for the trees.".

ge-man

How odes it not feel like a Metroid game? I think Metroid's jump to first person was completely natural because of the nature of the series. Side-scrolling is the only thing that really different between the Super Metroid and Metroid Prime--both rely on a feeling solitude and immersive exploration.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TAJ said:
>>>The GI article put it best really. When you play the games it feels like you are Samus and you really are on a living, breathing planet.<<<

I'd rather feel like I was playing a Metroid game. :p If I want Shenmue, I'll play Shenmue.
Or, as they say, "You can't polish a turd.", and, "They couldn't see the forest for the trees.".

So, you're upset that they made a BETTER game than any other Metroid title? "It doesn't FEEL like an inferior game!!111"

MoccaJava

Banned
TAJ is probably one of those people that used to post heavily at the IGNCube boards and cried his eyes out after the revelation of Metroid in first person and vowed never to touch Nintendo products again.

Despite the cries of those who can't handle Metroid's switch to first person, the game was done flawlessly and plays exactly like you'd expect a metroid game to play. Echoes, if anything like Prime, will be one of the best games this generation.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Frankly I'm glad they're kind of going with the "if it ain't broken" approach. Prime was an incredible game, and ever since I finished it...and then finished it again I've been wanting more of the same. Well, Retro seems to be providing that plus quite abit more. I couldn't imagine the game being in anything BUT first person after the first outing. A third-person Metroid just sounds too clunky to me. The point of the series isn't about seeing Samus, it's about the immersion the environments provide, and to me, Prime FELT like the 3D successor to Super Metroid.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Wow, crappy scans! How exciting! They make the direct feed screens and movies pale in comparison! :O

WarPig

Kobun Heat said:
Actually I think going first-person was a Nintendo decision in that a first-person game is easier to bug-test and polish than a third-person 3D game is. I think I heard that from Miyamoto.

More specifically, it was 'cos Miyamoto hated Jet Force Gemini.

DFS.

Calibur

I'm wondering if Retro will ever consider putting in the Speed Booster power-up in Metroid Prime 2 or 3?
It'll be hard to do but could look so cool (with blur effects like NFSU and BurnOut) running though walls.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
TAJ said:
Retro said the same thing, so, I laughed my ass off when after saying that they went first-person because they didn't think they could make a third-person camera work well in Metroid's cramped tunnels, they went with a third-person view in the MOST-CRAMPED PARTS OF THE GAME.

Go back to TXB.

YES, I remember YOU(though you probably have no idea who I am).

TAJ

>>>TAJ is probably one of those people that used to post heavily at the IGNCube boards and cried his eyes out after the revelation of Metroid in first person and vowed never to touch Nintendo products again.<<<

No, actually things went like this.

1) Found out there was a new Metroid game. (interest in Gamecube +1000)
2) Realized it was being developed by Americans. Was NOT amused. It suggested to me that Nintendo didn't have respect for the series.
3) Found out about first-person. Became nervous.
4) Found out that almost noone on the team had ever played a Metroid game before. Became VERY nervous
5)Played the E3 demo. THEN I cried.

4) Found out that almost noone on the team had ever played a Metroid game before. Became VERY nervous

Whoa, back that truck up. The Metroid Prime team at Retro are huge fans of Super Metroid and were so long before they got the project. Don't start making crap up to make your argument.

JasoNsider said:
Whoa, back that truck up. The Metroid Prime team at Retro are huge fans of Super Metroid and were so long before they got the project. Don't start making crap up to make your argument.

Yep they have said this in almost any interview......

TAJ

>>>Whoa, back that truck up. The Metroid Prime team at Retro are huge fans of Super Metroid and were so long before they got the project. Don't start making crap up to make your argument.

Yep they have said this in almost any interview......<<<

... as damage control after several team members said that they didn't play it until they got on the project.

TAJ said:
>>>TAJ is probably one of those people that used to post heavily at the IGNCube boards and cried his eyes out after the revelation of Metroid in first person and vowed never to touch Nintendo products again.<<<

No, actually things went like this.

1) Found out there was a new Metroid game. (interest in Gamecube +1000)
2) Realized it was being developed by Americans. Was NOT amused. It suggested to me that Nintendo didn't have respect for the series.
3) Found out about first-person. Became nervous.
5)Played the E3 demo. THEN I cried.
So you let your preconceptions blind you to one of the best video games ever created? Wow, I'd hate to live in your world.

And I bet that you probably think that the Dreamcast had the best software library in the history of man. :rolleyes
[Not as a dig to the DC, which was admittedly great if ill-fated, but as a reference to the jaded-ness of taj in opposition to the bare facts. Sigh]

Kon Tiki

Banned
TAJ said:

http://www.samus.co.uk/mprime/interview.shtml

4. Which game in the Metroid series was the first one you experienced?

The first Metroid on the NES system was the first one I experienced. I remember sitting there with friends, as we would take turns exploring and passing the controller back forth if one of us would die.

Just stfu.

LOL, thanks for digging that up society. You are far less lazy than I ;).

Making arguments to support your opinion is one thing, but making crap up is just wrong.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
JasoNsider said:
LOL, thanks for digging that up society. You are far less lazy than I ;).

Making arguments to support your opinion is one thing, but making crap up is just wrong.

No, that's just damage control. They lied about it after it came out to cover the fact that almost the entire team hadn't played Metroid before. Then martians abducted the original third-person version of the game, forcing Retro to make a crappy first-person rendition. This is all covered in the new David Scheff book, due out later this year.

LakeEarth

Justin Bailey said:
No, that's just damage control. They lied about it after it came out to cover the fact that almost the entire team hadn't played Metroid before. Then martians abducted the original third-person version of the game, forcing Retro to make a crappy first-person rendition. This is all covered in the new David Scheff book, due out later this year.

Of COURSE!! It's so simple... wait a minute, no it's not it's needlessly complicated.

TAJ

>>>LOL, thanks for digging that up society. You are far less lazy than I .

Making arguments to support your opinion is one thing, but making crap up is just wrong.<<<

Actually that interview came up on the first page of my Google search. It was also conducted after the game was out, LONG after, "We're big Metroid fans." became the party line.
I'm having a bitch of a time finding Metroid Prime interviews, though. All I'm getting is ones for Metroid Prime 2. I think the most damning interview was in a magazine, though. (maybe one of the last issues of Next-Gen??)

In any event, if find one of those old articles were they let the unthinkable escape their lips, you haters need to go into exile.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Littleberu said:
Or you could just say : "Wow, I didn't read the scan, as I can't read at all!!!"

People were making comments about the pics too you know. And I'm not going to read through an article from some lousy scan. I want pure text!

TAJ

OK, I tried a different approach. I broke out my copy of Metroid Prime and started searching for specific members listed in the manual, but only found the same two or three interviews, ALL done after the game was out.
Maybe someone with better Google-fu could compile a list of interview links, the more the better (but no duplicates) and preferably from 2001 and before.

This might help:

Executive Producer: Steve Barcia
Producer: Michael Mann (unfortunately same name as a movie director)
Lead Designer: Mark Pacini
Senior Designers: Karl Deckard
Mike Wikan
Designers: Jason Behr (apparently shares a name with an actor on Roswell)
Paul Reed
Tony Giovannini
Amanda Rubright (LOL)

i beleve Steve Barcia left Retro shortly after MP was completed. Don't know if he's off at another company or what. As for the rest, its not suprising there aren't a lot of interviews around. They're a part of Nintendo now. Its all really "hush hush".

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
The new Zelda director hated the first Legend of Zelda game... but he made Majora's Mask...

Oh, wait, I bet TAJ hates Majora's Mask too.

(mutters under breath)

TAJ

>>>The new Zelda director hated the first Legend of Zelda game... but he made Majora's Mask...
(mutters under breath)<<<<

I don't really have an opinion on it. The dark, blurry graphics and low framerate made it make me physically ill. (puking within 5-15 minutes, 5 indoors, 15 outdoors) Now that I'm equipped to play it smoothly in emulation, it's waiting in my long backlog.

Metroid Prime 1 being one of my favorite games of all time (and easily the best this gen), MP2 looks sweet. More of the same is a good thing, and I felt they captured the essence of Super Metroid in the first game, so no complaints here.
TAJ, please, just shut up now...

TAJ said:
>>>The new Zelda director hated the first Legend of Zelda game... but he made Majora's Mask...
(mutters under breath)<<<<

I don't really have an opinion on it. The dark, blurry graphics and low framerate made it make me physically ill. (puking within 5-15 minutes, 5 indoors, 15 outdoors) Now that I'm equipped to play it smoothly in emulation, it's waiting in my long backlog.

Lamme excuse.....

AssMan

Banned
You want to talk about damage control? Read what the opa-age members are saying about MP2. You'll laugh your sox off.

Top Bottom