• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
troid06.png

*yoink*

oracrest

zephervack said:
Hope you dont mind i changed it a little...

No worries.

A few more. Some a bit more on the abstract side.

samus01.png
samus02.png
samus03.png
samus04.png
samus05.png
samus06.png
samus07.png

Also, these old ones are still up for grabs as far as I can tell...

supermet1.png
supermet4.png
supermet7.png
supermet8.png
supermet10.png
supermet11.png
supermet13.png
supermet14.png
supermet15.png
supermet17.png
supermet19.png
supermet22.png
supermet23.png
supermet25.png
supermet26.png
supermet27.png
supermet28.png
supermet29.png
supermet30.png
supermet32.png
supermet34.png
supermet35.png
met01.png
met02.png
met04.png
met05.png
met07.png
met08.png
met09.png
met10.png
met11.png
met13.png
met14.png
met15.png

Kunohara

iirate said:
You know, I'm far from a fan of steampunk, but this is pretty fantastic design.

Yeah, I just like how there are no goggles on her helmet or something like that in the design. Pretty cliche steampunk design.

Cranzor

I just bought Other M from Amazon yesterday, so wish me luck. I'm going in with an open mind and I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it.

Odoul

Highest Tier Franchise

Head and shoulder the coolest property Nintendo has at it's disposal. Too bad they have no clue what to do with it.

This is the series that got me into games.

This music right here was literally my lullaby. My dead used to rock me to sleep while he played the first one.

Super Metroid. Pinnacle of videogames. It is one of the finest crafted works of passion ever made.

And since there's a ton of fanart this one is pretty cool.

metroid_physiology_by_kalapusa-d2p7uhd.jpg

oracrest

Cranzor said:
I just bought Other M from Amazon yesterday, so wish me luck. I'm going in with an open mind and I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it.

Even if you don't get into the story, the presentation of the gameplay is still really fun. It has sort of a PS1 MGS feel to it.

Red

Cranzor said:
Ignore the story, enjoy the rest.

Rezbit

Metroid Killer said:
Didn't think I would ever see a steam-powered Power Suit...

the same with rezbit having an actual rezbit avatar! about time! :p

4 years later! Finally achieved the username + avatar combo.

The Other M story is so incredibly terrible. Only once the game actually shut up and let me find stuff on my own did I start to enjoy it. Unfortunately that was only about 15% of the game!

Also, just want to share one of my favourite Metroid songs: Red Brinstar. Takes me back to when I was a kid, having to navigate that really tough room with one block platforms and those things that ate you!

Victrix

*beard*
One of the very best mixes of sound, music, and graphics to create an atmosphere like no other.

Super Metroid in particular stands tall as one of the all time very greatest games ever made.

Still haven't forgiven them for MoM.

I hope we see a resurrection that does the series and the character justice. Samus is one of the best, and so is Metroid.

watershed

Banned
Boney said:
You know, I'm still super pissed japanese audio wasn't available. I bet it'd make the whole thing a lot more bearable.
True but then I wonder if Japanese gamers sit around complaining about the awful voice acting in Other M and we'd just be oblivious to it.

Rezbit said:
4 years later! Finally achieved the username + avatar combo.

The Other M story is so incredibly terrible. Only once the game actually shut up and let me find stuff on my own did I start to enjoy it. Unfortunately that was only about 15% of the game!

Also, just want to share one of my favourite Metroid songs: Red Brinstar. Takes me back to when I was a kid, having to navigate that really tough room with one block platforms and those things that ate you!
Really? I think I spent about 40% of the time locating all the hidden powerups. A lot of those were hidden pretty cleverly that required you to use your brain.

Red

Boney said:
You know, I'm still super pissed japanese audio wasn't available. I bet it'd make the whole thing a lot more bearable.
Doubt it. Nothing could mitigate that disaster.

Sanic

samus06.png

Took that one, thank you! Actually going to use a modification of it with the black background removed, I think.

Rezbit

Lord_Byron28 said:
Really? I think I spent about 40% of the time locating all the hidden powerups. A lot of those were hidden pretty cleverly that required you to use your brain.

Forgive me if my memory is hazy, but didn't the game have dots on the minimap that essentially told you there were items in a room? I didn't try it on hard so I don't know if that turned off. You're right though, some of the items were fun to find.

mantidor

KevinCow said:
These tracks from Harmony of a Hunter:

The Crimson Depths
Symbol of the Ancients
In the Beginning...

I cannot hear them without thinking about how cool a Metroid movie could be. Now, granted, I often think about how cool a Metroid movie could be. But these tracks seem to make me think even harder about it.

While I agree, the horror that was Other M (hate to bring it up over and over again but its impossible to ignore) really makes me think twice, the material is awesome but so special that it can become something terrible really easily. Women protagonists are so rarely treated well in any sort of fiction or storytelling medium.

KevinCow

Banned
mantidor said:
While I agree, the horror that was Other M (hate to bring it up over and over again but its impossible to ignore) really makes me think twice, the material is awesome but so special that it can become something terrible really easily. Women protagonists are so rarely treated well in any sort of fiction or storytelling medium.

Well, sure. If someone did a movie, it would probably suck. I think we all knew this before Other M, just because of how video game movies have always been treated.

But I think the content is there to potentially be awesome, if it was ever an adaptation done by someone with an ounce of respect for the source material, it could be pretty cool.

I guess that goes for a lot of things, though.

robor

Boney said:
I'm talking about all the lore that's there, and Retro being a master in illustrations and everything did a remarkable job with Talon IV and it's architecture.

In terms of intro's yeah Super takes it. The small voice clips and the scientists and ridley, so awesome. Only problem is that Samus is a pansy with that little peashooter.

Oh no, I meant the first 20 minutes of gameplay on planet Zebes.

Teknoman

Crunched said:
Doubt it. Nothing could mitigate that disaster.

On the bright side, at least the animations were nice. The next Metroid title better go back to having atmospheric yet catchy music though. None of that ambient sound junk for the majority of the game.

kunonabi

Samus is really the only improvement over the English dub. Even then I still thought Martin did a solid job for the most part. She didn't handle the commanding bits as well as Kobayashi but she didn't embarrass herself either. I prefer the supporting cast from the English version myself, especially Adam. The script isn't all that different either. My Japanese isn't perfect but it seemed to be match up pretty well with the English script.

Lee N

Membre
Just putting this here for posterity. German pixel artist Vierbit did a mockup of Metroid for the Commodore 64 staying true to all the restrictions of the hardware. I figured someone here might get a kick out of seeing it.

c64_vierbitmetroid.png

Lee N said:
Just putting this here for posterity. German pixel artist Vierbit did a mockup of Metroid for the Commodore 64 staying true to all the restrictions of the hardware. I figured someone here might get a kick out of seeing it.
As a C64 fan, I did get a kick out of it, thanks for sharing.

Red

MNC said:
fufufufufu

what price?

That's I think the only game missing in my metroid collection.
And other M
I got a copy for like $10 at Gamestop 4 or 5 years ago, after having lost my original. It's not really hard to find.

Teknoman said:
On the bright side, at least the animations were nice. The next Metroid title better go back to having atmospheric yet catchy music though. None of that ambient sound junk for the majority of the game.
Other M looked very good in places, that's true. I liked it well enough, even with its flaws, but overall it was very middle-tier. An okay game with some good moments, marred repeatedly by baffling and bizarre design choices.

Nemesis556 said:
Can I buy a metroid plushie, please? >_>
Join the contest! So far only a couple of members have actually bothered to shoot a photo proving them to be Metroid fans, you got a pretty fair chance at winning as long as you just take photograph of anything Metroid really.

Last day to sumbit photos is on Friday (26th August)

8BitsAtATime said:
I just got this in the mail today

33c59ce0.jpg
Awesome! After hearing that Metroid II will come to the 3DS eShop later this year, I'm sooo fucking tempted to buy a 3DS. With the oppertunity to play Fusion once again I don't know what's holding me back (yes I do... money/time ;_;)

Oh and I was planning on writing a small article on the great music of the games, but it seems like I was beaten by Nate Andrews at Nintendo World Report. His article, The Music of Metroid, is defintely worth a read.

Metroid Killer said:
Awesome! After hearing that Metroid II will come to the 3DS eShop later this year, I'm sooo fucking tempted to buy a 3DS. With the oppertunity to play Fusion once again I don't know what's holding me back (yes I do... money/time ;_;)

Except that, if you don't own a 3DS by now you won't be having access to Metroid Fusion.

AbsoluteZero said:
Except that, if you don't own a 3DS by now you won't be having access to Metroid Fusion.
Oh I didn't know it was exclusive to Nintendo Ambassadors. I'm sure it will be available to all some point down the line.

Top Bottom