• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

ruxtpin said:
supermet24.png

Taken?
It's free. :)

Also I wanna see more entries for the contest. Only a few have taken photos for the contest so far, so you actually got a pretty good chance at winning without putting much effort into it.

ruxtpin

Banned
Claimed! =)

Thanks for such an awesome thread Killer. I remember playing Metroid on the NES when I was about 5, while I was at the sitter's house. I never owned the game myself, but after reading a bit of your awesome OP I'm going to make it my mission to finally beat the original NES game (and d/l Super Metroid on VC and beat that too!)

^Np, thanks for the comment :)

And yeah playing Metroid last year was such a joy. You defintely need to have an open mind about it (which I didn't have when I played it for 10mins some years ago), and learn to live with some of the more archaic design choices. But other than that I would say that the game was waaay ahead of its time, and considering how hard pressed the team behind it were it's insane the end result was this good.

I updated the OP with avatars as usual, but also added likeGdid's wonderfull Samus and Ridley artpiece as well as a profile on Hip Tanaka, the man behind the music of Metroid(nes). I figured that besides celebrating the entire franchise, this is the game that's turning 25 after all and any personnel working on it deserves all the recognition they can get.
I will try to do a little write-up on the music from the first Metroid when I have the time.

Crunched said:
That's exactly true. I get the surface resemblance to a shooter, but would you call TES games shooters? Amnesia? Scratches? Myst? Mirror's Edge?

Just because a game is first person does not instantly make it a shooter. Just because a game has shooting in it does not make shooting the focus.

There's no more emphasis on action in Prime 1 than there was in Super Metroid. It's about the environment. It's about the discovery.
*shrug* I'm not trying to convince anyone that the Prime games were awful or anything. I just can't stand the series. Hated the switch to First-Person Shooter, but whatever.

Unrelated, but I've never heard of any of the other games you mentioned aside from Mirror's Edge.

Red

Professor Beef said:
*shrug* I'm not trying to convince anyone that the Prime games were awful or anything. I just can't stand the series. Hated the switch to First-Person Shooter, but whatever.

Unrelated, but I've never heard of any of the other games you mentioned aside from Mirror's Edge.
You haven't heard of The Elder Scrolls, Amnesia, or Myst? That's not something I ever thought I'd see on GAF.

So last night I finished for the first time Metroid 1 in honor of it's 25th birthday.

Now that I bet all the Zelda games with m finishing Zelda 2, Metroid is my next mission. Metroid 2 and Super are on the back burner while I finish Other M.

Poor Samus. Just a couple years ago you were the shining star in Nntendo's lineup with the Prime games. I think Other M embarrassed them into celebrating this year.

Red

Professor Beef said:
Can't say that I have. But if they're PC games, then that would explain a lot.
Myst has appeared on consoles, and The Elder Scrolls is the series the games Morrowind and Oblivion belong to. It's been on consoles as well (and done well there).

Crunched said:
Myst has appeared on consoles, and The Elder Scrolls is the series the games Morrowind and Oblivion belong to. It's been on consoles as well (and done well there).
Drawing a complete blank. :lol

No big deal though. I think sometime this week I want to try and get a 100% run going in Super Metroid. It'd be my first time, too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gravijah said:
The Digimon TV show has been shown to rot the brain.
Don't make me tug on your li'l Raichu ears. :p

I kid, I kid. :)

Professor Beef said:
Drawing a complete blank. :lol
Well, the goal of a professor is to educate themselves constantly...

It's too bad you haven't heard of them until now, though.

Dark Schala said:
Well, the goal of a professor is to educate themselves constantly...

It's too bad you haven't heard of them until now, though.
I'm guessing I'm going to have to do some good ol' fashioned internet spelunking to find out what these games look like.

It's been at least a good decade since I've played the first Metroid, but were there wall jumps in that game?

Here's a pixel avatar for the rarely seen suitless Samus without Varia (and I can't believe I still remembered the password for that).

10yjvbk.png

Edit: Hey, the avatar I yoiked is apparently based on this rarely seen Samus, I knew I was attracted to it for a reason.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
It's been at least a good decade since I've played the first Metroid, but were there wall jumps in that game?
I don't think so, no. I think the wall jump first appeared in Super Metroid.

Fake edit: Apparently it did first appear in Super Metroid.

Don't want to double-post, but I was using these on Facebook on and off. Not sure if they've been posted in this thread yet:

BzSrQ.png

Source

FE1zp.jpg

(Forgot where this came from)

Rezbit

Hey sweet a Metroid love-in! How did I miss this? I remember when I first finished Super as a kid....by the time I actually stopped running around randomly and got around to beating the final boss I had racked up about 24 hours playtime. Pretty good effort for a kid. Somehow I also managed to beat Metroid 2, although I probably would have had a lot of help from big brother.

I'd love to see a new sidescrolling Metroid game on 3DS. All the different layers popping out, could look amazing.

Wondering what game to play in the series now. Go back to the original? Maybe a run through Zero Mission? Been a while since I finished Echoes...hmm.

Also, is this Samus avatar taken?

supermet33.png

Will snap that up like a seagull to a hot chip if it's free.

Also, well done on a terrific OP. What a great series.

robor

DragonKnight said:
WRONG. Super is amazing but to me you're just shooting dumb mindless aliens and creatures while trying to take down Mother Brain. In Prime you get a real respect for the world you are in and the Space Pirates that you are trying to take down.

You're dealing with some massive over sight here buddy.

Boney said:
I agree that Prime does a better job at introducing the alien world to the player, probably the best in that regard, but in the end, that doesn't really matter to me all that much.

Really?? Man I think Super Metroid has the best introduction EVER (well one of the best).

Boney

Banned
robor said:
Really?? Man I think Super Metroid has the best introduction EVER (well one of the best).
I'm talking about all the lore that's there, and Retro being a master in illustrations and everything did a remarkable job with Talon IV and it's architecture.

In terms of intro's yeah Super takes it. The small voice clips and the scientists and ridley, so awesome. Only problem is that Samus is a pansy with that little peashooter.

oracrest

Rezbit, this one is just for you ;) You get first refusal.
...one of my favorite characters in all the primes...... Hell, any metroid games....

troid01.png

A few more..

troid02.png
troid03.png
troid04.png
troid05.png
troid06.png
troid07.png
troid08.png

KevinCow

Banned
oracrest said:
...one of my favorite characters in all the primes...... Hell, any metroid games....

troid01.png

It has bugged me for the longest time that he doesn't have a Rezbit as an avatar.

maeda

I cannot pick my favorite Metroid. I am torn between Super and Prime 1. Even though overall I enjoyed Prime 1 much more (It is my most replayed game. I know it by heart. When I first got it I played 3 times straight through it.), Super has this eerie and fine air about it. I felt it was disturbing and creepy much more often than Prime and I love that about it. Plus it was my first Metroid. I actually just realized that Other M is my 2nd favorite Metroid; how odd...
What was the defining moment of the 1st Prime for you guys? The moment when you felt completely engrossed in the experince and nothing could pull you from the gamepad. For me the moment that defined the game was the moment when I entered the very first room of Chozo ruins. I cleared the room of beetles and then just stood there examining the environment. I marveled at the beauty of the clear sky above me. The wind was blowing the incredibly realistic sand and then my sight caught 2 decrepit columns. I pulled my scan visor and scanned them. The onboard computer infromed me that columns collapsed due to age and corrosion and carbon dating cannot determine their age. That was it. That last part made me feel like I was in an alien world, which was inhabited by sentient creatures millions of years ago, and now I had to explore it and find out what had become of it.

Rezbit

oracrest said:

troid01.png

Dude that is amazing. Totally snagged, thank you! It really is a great enemy design, and I don't think I've seen anything quite like it before or after Echoes, in terms of HUD effects/interaction. It reminds me how immersive the Prime games are. I must have gotten deliberately hit about 10 times by a Rezbit before I went about my business!

Yeah KevinCow, I couldn't find a good picture of a Rezbit so instead I went with Dick Van Dyke. Happy to ditch him now though haha.

Kunohara

Thought you guys would like this:
Steampunk-Samus.jpg

I do wish to use this as an avatar, but I do not have the capability to reduce the size here at work.

Top Bottom