• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

Metroid Killer said:
It's free. :)

Also I wanna see more entries for the contest. Only a few have taken photos for the contest so far, so you actually got a pretty good chance at winning without putting much effort into it.

I was away for 2 weeks and now that I'm back I'm cleaning up my game room to take a photo of my Metroid stuff. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll add pictures.

supermet32.png

Claimed! Happy 25th Metroid!

darkjedi187 said:
when will we get a new metroid for 3ds and any idea when metroid 2 will be out for the eshop?
There's a good chance that Yoshio Sakamoto will turn back Metroid Dread sometime in the future. He just finished Rhythm Heaven Wii, and we don't know what his next project is going to be. There's a good chance that he's working on the next WarioWare game, either for the WiiU or 3DS *shrugs*
If/when he decides to work on Dread, it'll be pretty much from the scratch as it was it was only in early conceptual stages before being put on hold.
Yoshio Sakamoto said:
I cannot deny the existence of such a project in the past but cannot say if it will be what I move onto next or not. I’m sorry but we would like to keep that game a mystery. After all, there has been a lot of speculation surrounding Dread. And my hope, if at all possible, is to reset the situation at once and start from scratch.
Now we don't know which console Dread was planned for, but I highly expect it was for the DS, which would make it appear on the 3DS if it ever gets developed.

Last time I heard rumors said that Metroid II would be available in the eShop this November which coincides the game's 20th anniversary as well.

My entry for the contest. I didn't know if we could only submit one photo or multiple ones, so to be safe I combined them all into one file. Best fucking video game series ever. I don't have any of the awesome statues since I just can't afford them, but I have a bunch of promotional stuff. I know have some more things, and all the boxes for the cartridge games they're just all packed away right now.

6066542198_e147c107b0_b.jpg

Just started Metroid: Other M. Do I have to constantly go into first person mode to look for things to scan like in the Prime series if I want to get 100%?

Mockingbird said:
Just started Metroid: Other M. Do I have to constantly go into first person mode to look for things to scan like in the Prime series if I want to get 100%?

No, the scanning only shows up at plot-important scenes and doesn't count towards 100%. IIRC, only items/upgrades count towards it.

Electivirus said:
No, the scanning only shows up at plot-important scenes and doesn't count towards 100%. IIRC, only items/upgrades count towards it.

Cool. are there any things that can be missed if you don't get it at a certain time?

Mockingbird said:
Cool. are there any things that can be missed if you don't get it at a certain time?

A few, yes. I can't remember exact places, but there are expansions in areas that become blocked off/destroyed after a certain point in the game.

Actually, there are no items that can be missed permanently in Other M (or any Metroid game for that matter).

In Other M sometimes certain doors, rooms or passages become temporarily (or permanently) blocked off, but even then, if there is still an item, there will be another way to get to it.

Some items, if not picked up at the first opportunity, will become unavailable until much later in the game (
Some of them can be only revisited after the secret Boss battle
), but no matter what you do, you'll always be able to complete your item collection rate to 100% in your save game.

... at least if you don't trigger the "door-won't-open"-bug. In that case, you'll have to delete your save and start all over!

Kontergurke said:
Actually, there are no items that can be missed permanently in Other M (or any Metroid game for that matter).

In Other M sometimes certain doors, rooms or passages become temporarily (or permanently) blocked off, but even then, if there is still an item, there will be another way to get to it.

Some items, if not picked up at the first opportunity, will become unavailable until much later in the game (
Some of them can be only revisited after the secret Boss battle
), but no matter what you do, you'll always be able to complete your item collection rate to 100% in your save game.

... at least if you don't trigger the "door-won't-open"-bug. In that case, you'll have to delete your save and start all over!

Cool. Thanks for the heads up on the bug. I'm sure I would've saved and been fucked.

Madao

i'm going to replay Other M this saturday since it marks the game's 1st anniversary (counting from when i got it).

*hears crickets*

also, hopefully Metroid 2 shows up in the eShop by year's end. that's the only metroid game i don't own in any form.

Shin Johnpv said:
My entry for the contest. I didn't know if we could only submit one photo or multiple ones, so to be safe I combined them all into one file. Best fucking video game series ever. I don't have any of the awesome statues since I just can't afford them, but I have a bunch of promotional stuff. I know have some more things, and all the boxes for the cartridge games they're just all packed away right now.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6088/6066542198_e147c107b0_b.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

you're missing the Metroid prime 2 demo bonus disc!! :p

Nessus

Electivirus said:
A few, yes. I can't remember exact places, but there are expansions in areas that become blocked off/destroyed after a certain point in the game.

Not entirely correct.

They become blocked off for most of the game, but the entire map is re-opened at the very end.

uchihasasuke said:
you're missing the Metroid prime 2 demo bonus disc!! :p

Actually I do have it. It was inside the Metroid Prime case. I realized after I posted the photo that I had forgotten to take it out. Decided not to try and take a new photo. I can always amend it some how though lol.

sphinx

the piano man
Shin Johnpv said:
Actually I do have it. It was inside the Metroid Prime case. I realized after I posted the photo that I had forgotten to take it out. Decided not to try and take a new photo. I can always amend it some how though lol.

well, your metroid prime 1 gamecase is definitely not the one that had the MP2 demo disc inside, so THAT's what you are missing

(hihi, just kidding, cool metroid collection and memorabilia)

Shin Johnpv said:

6066542198_e147c107b0_b.jpg

Do you have the LE lenticulars given away at Circuit City if you bought Prime and Fusion there? Because T-Shirts aside, I can't think of any other U.S. merchandise you're missing.

oracrest

Mockingbird said:
Do you have the LE lenticulars given away at Circuit City if you bought Prime and Fusion there? Because T-Shirts aside, I can't think of any other U.S. merchandise you're missing.

There is always the second version NES cart with the different art.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Mockingbird said:
He doesn't have the shit-tacular figure that GamePro/Joyride made. Or the First4Figures statues.

I have a snazzy little "Ask me about Metroid Prime/Ask me about Metroid Fusion" lanyard from when those released. The Prime logo is embroidered all along the strap, pretty nifty.

Shin Johnpv said:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6088/6066542198_e147c107b0_b.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Ah, I'd love to have that Zero Mission stand.

You are a lucky man. :)

The Zero Mission stand is awesome, I have one as well (including a giant Metroid Fusion promo box).

I also have framed posters for Prime 2, Zero Mission and Other M (signed by the guy who did the chalk art, for whatever reason).

I probably have more than Shin Johnpv but I'm too way lazy to take it all out to capture it. He has the FDS Metroid and Metroid Prime display over me (although I could have gotten the Prime display, I just had nowhere to store it), I have boxed copies of Metroid NES (both versions), a boxed Asian Version Metroid NES, boxed copies for all the Game Boy/GBA games plus a lot of Japanese strategy guides and mangas (Samus and Joey, LOL). I have the Prime t-shirt a little GameCube disc caddy with the Prime logo on it, plush Metroids. The official Prime/Fusion soundtrack (one track has a bad audio encode, ugh), a fan made DVD set, a Metroid Prime GameCube box. The Prime 2 demo disc.

I have a really, really sad amount of stuff. o_o;

Okay, as I was typing this I remembered that I DID take a picture of a lot of this stuff, around the time Zero Mission was coming out. This is probably a fraction of the stuff I have now. Except for the games themselves, all of this is scattered all over the place in different boxes, no time/energy for a reunion tour, so here's my OLD picture.

From 2004.

2mfjehk.jpg

Thanks everyone, yeah Metroid is my favorite video game series ever. If I have an opportunity to grab some display stuff or other things I usually jump on it when I can. The Metroid Prime Standee is my pride and joy of it all. That thing will always be in my game room.

My Prime 2 demo disc isn't one that came with Prime 1, but was sent in the mail. So it has no case just a plastic sleeve so I put it in my Prime 1 case. Ohh man I just remembered a bunch of shit I forgot to take photos of. I also have that Prime 1/Fusion OST, it is full of major awesomeness. I have a shit load of strategy guides, and those lanyards some where. I do not have the second NES release with the different artwork. Been meaning to get it though. Can I upload a second add on pic tomorrow night? lol. I also have a Samus stick on the wall thing some where.

Let me know if I can do a picture addendum and I'll upload another one tomorrow night with all the strategy guides and a few other things.

Mockingbird said:

No I didn't even know CC gave anything like that away. I must have missed it back then. I have like 2 or 3 shirts I think somewhere, part of the problem is shit gets packed away and then its like hmm where the hell did I put it.

Shig said:
He doesn't have the shit-tacular figure that GamePro/Joyride made. Or the First4Figures statues.

I have a snazzy little "Ask me about Metroid Prime/Ask me about Metroid Fusion" lanyard from when those released. The Prime logo is embroidered all along the strap, pretty nifty.

Yeah I don't have the awesome F4F statues. I wish I did, specially the fusion one, and the gunship one. Those are awesome. Just out of my price range right now (fuck you student loans wanting to be paid back). I do have a bunch of those lanyards, and some shirts some where but I don't know where the hell I put them.

Neon_Icarus said:
You are a lucky man. :)

Thank you, though I suffered many long years in retail while acquiring some of this stuff, so it kind of balances out.

I love me some fucking Metroid. Personally story aspects aside I thought Other M looked and played great. I would kill for a Metroid sequel using that engine on the 3DS, just with out the first person stuff. Hell even better would be a Metroid II remake of it on the 3DS using that engine.

PixyJunket said:
The Zero Mission stand is awesome, I have one as well (including a giant Metroid Fusion promo box).

I also have framed posters for Prime 2, Zero Mission and Other M (signed by the guy who did the chalk art, for whatever reason).

I probably have more than Shin Johnpv but I'm too way lazy to take it all out to capture it. He has the FDS Metroid and Metroid Prime display over me (although I could have gotten the Prime display, I just had nowhere to store it), I have boxed copies of Metroid NES (both versions), a boxed Asian Version Metroid NES, boxed copies for all the Game Boy/GBA games plus a lot of Japanese strategy guides and mangas (Samus and Joey, LOL). I have the Prime t-shirt a little GameCube disc caddy with the Prime logo on it, plush Metroids. The official Prime/Fusion soundtrack (one track has a bad audio encode, ugh), a fan made DVD set, a Metroid Prime GameCube box. The Prime 2 demo disc.

I have a really, really sad amount of stuff. o_o;

Okay, as I was typing this I remembered that I DID take a picture of a lot of this stuff, around the time Zero Mission was coming out. This is probably a fraction of the stuff I have now. Except for the games themselves, all of this is scattered all over the place in different boxes, no time/energy for a reunion tour, so here's my OLD picture.

From 2004.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2mfjehk.jpg

Mighty fine collection there. That Prime 1/Fusion OST is absolutely amazing.

aechris

Mockingbird said:

There's a Nintendo Power poster that had a 2000 print run.

http://bit.ly/ruc5d5

Is this rare? Worth anything? I have this in my basement.

Oh hey, I though I should do a little something for the anniversary, even if I'm like almost a month late. I think I did okay.

Here's a list of all the Samuses and game of origin from left to right.

JUSTIN BAILEY ------ ------ (Suitless Varia) - Metroid
Light Suit - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Fusion Gravity Suit - Metroid Fusion
Green Team Color Variation - Super Smash Bros.
Suitless II - Metroid II: Return of Samus
Original Varia Suit - Metroid
Civilian Clothes - Metroid Other M
Zero Mission Suitless - Metroid Zero Mission
Fusion Suit - Metroid Fusion
Gravity Suit - Super Metroid
Zero Suit - Metroid Zero Mission
Morph Ball - Metroid (Representing Metroid Prime Pinball)
PED Suit - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Fully Powered Varia Suit - Metroid II: Return of Samus
Power Suit - Metroid
Super Suitless - Super Metroid
Fusion Suitless - Metroid Fusion
SA-X powered Fusion Suit - Metroid Fusion
Kid - Metroid Fusion (JPN Only), Metroid Zero Mission
Military Dress - Metroid Other M
Phazon Suit - Metroid Prime
Fusion Varia Suit - Metroid Fusion
75% corrupted PED Suit with Hazard Shield - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Dark Suit - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Suitless - Metroid

that's 25 different Samuses if you're to lazy to count.

See you neext mission!

Shin Johnpv said:
Mighty fine collection there. That Prime 1/Fusion OST is absolutely amazing.
Yours is excellent as well. The Zero Mission stand is a right pain to dust, eh? I remember I used to bribe GameStop managers for these things, like "I'll pre-order Metroid Zero Mission if I can have that stand when you're done with it." it worked every time. Ultimately, I think I only kept the Metroid ones and a giant Final Fantasy IV GBA box (and I was distraught when they didn't make one for V and VI).

Dude, get your poster framed, Target sells frames in that size for like $12, trust me, you'll love the difference it makes.

15d1b7s.jpg

PixyJunket said:
Yours is excellent as well. The Zero Mission stand is a right pain to dust, eh? I remember I used to bribe GameStop managers for these things, like "I'll pre-order Metroid Zero Mission if I can have that stand when you're done with it." it worked every time. Ultimately, I think I only kept the Metroid ones and a giant Final Fantasy IV GBA box (and I was distraught when they didn't make one for V and VI).

Dude, get your poster framed, Target sells frames in that size for like $12, trust me, you'll love the difference it makes.

http://i55.tinypic.com/15d1b7s.jpg

Thank you and yeah MAJOR MAJOR pain in the ass to dust. You have to be so damn gentle with it. Well shit I didn't know target had frames that size, I'll have to go there. On the wall to the right and the wall, I have a bunch of movie posters that are framed, and yeah framing makes a huge difference. I got that Zero Mission one from Toys R Us and its such a weird size I never saw a frame that would fit it.

Nice to see people posting their photos for the contest. ~5 hours before I close for submissions.

Edit: Aaaand Submissions closed for the contest. Winners will be announced sometime during the weekend.

What it is still open is the door for new gaf artwork. Chet has already posted his insane 25 Samuses piece, but MYE and dr_octagon has made a new piece each as well:

NEW
Power Suit Samus by dr_octagon (Hi-rez)

NEW
Samus Poster by MYE (Hi-rez)

NEW
25 Samuses by Chet Rippo (Hi-rez)

Shin Johnpv said:
No I didn't even know CC gave anything like that away. I must have missed it back then. I have like 2 or 3 shirts I think somewhere, part of the problem is shit gets packed away and then its like hmm where the hell did I put it.

Can only find the image for the Prime one. The Fusion one is similar to the boxart, I think.

Metroid%20Prime%20Artcell.jpg

Just a quick question. I have the GBA version of the original NES game, is it a fairly good representation of that first title?

(For anyone who doesn't know what I mean) VVVVVVVV

2rnx3c8.jpg

I never played the NES game. All I know is what I've played of the GBA version and it's hard as fuck.

I never played the GBA version game. All I know is that I've played the NES version and it's hard as fuck.

:p

Edit: Once you get around 3 energy tanks and the ice beam, the game changes from being a survival game to Metroid. Getting the screw attack is such a godly moment. The screw attack has never felt as powerful or as important in newer Metroid games as none of them were as fuckhard as the original.

Just beat Other M. Starting post-game tomorrow.

Does Other M have any references to the Prime series at all btw? I've only played part of Prime 1 and none of the others, so I don't know the story.

Mockingbird said:

Does Other M have any references to the Prime series at all btw? I've only played part of Prime 1 and none of the others, so I don't know the story.
Except for both games using first person view I don't think there are any connections. Had Kenji Yamamoto been on board for Other M I'm sure we would have witnessed some prime music remixed.

Edit: Oh I guess the Seeker Missile is weapon powerup originatin from Metroid Prime 2 Echoes.

KevinCow

Banned
Mockingbird said:

Seeker missiles originated from Echoes. Other than that, it pretty much completely ignores the Prime games.

I never played the GBA version either but I really should pick it up. I never played Super Metroid as a kid, only the NES version so that's always my number one pick to play these days. Don't get me wrong, I love Super but man, that original is so much fun.

Top Bottom