• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake isn't a PlayStation exclusive

Mr.Phoenix

So you perfectly fine if Sony purchases a multiplatform 3rd party title and turn it to a exclusive... but you aren't ok if Microsoft purchase a 3rd party developer and turn their games to exclusives. Do you actually realize how hypocrite you sound?
I never said that. And that you are saying this means you are misquoting me. Why? I have no idea.

I specifically said -
I don't know about you, I would rather platform holders pay for timed exclusive deals, than buy out the IPs completely and make them first party. So companies like MS would advocate the death of third-party exclusives... while just buying publishers outright behind the scenes.
I cannot even begin to understand how you would read that, and arrive at what you are accusing me of saying then go as far as calling me a hypocrite lol...

I'm going to ask you a question and try to answer it honestly... would you be ok if Microsoft purchased 3rd party games like FF7Remake and FF16 and turn then in full blown exclusives?
Of course, I wouldn't be ok with it, because that's not what I said. I said, and now I would explain... I am against third-party exclusives, but I am not naive enough to think they will never be a thing. So if they are going to be a thing, then I would rather those exclusives be timed. Because it means I at least get to pay them eventually. As opposed to them being permanent.

Then I made a reference to MS (which mind you if you want to talk about anyone being a hypocrite this is your cue), publically championing games for everyone and being anti-deals or exclusives, while at the same time outright buying out publishers with dozens of IPs under their belt. And that is what the naivety of thinking exclusives have no place in the industry results in. Consolidation.

Mozzarella

Exclusive benefit is just that it will run better because its optimized perfectly for one console, so higher chance of better performance and less bugs.
No exclusive may have some issues with performance and bugs but it makes the game playable for everyone and especially on PC you gain the ability to mod it and improve upon it and potentially rendering it immortal as it will stay available and easy to access for everyone.
So heck yeah, i'll take no exclusives.

Bry0

If that rumor about an alternate ending is legit then I have a really bad feeling Konami will F this up.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
It would be an optics failure for this game not to be a timed exclusive and lifetime console exclusive.

I'm expecting PS5 and PC. an xbox port will come later when Konami can be bothered. They've never really given a shit about xbox and have always partnered with Sony every chance they get. I can't see sony getting timed console exclusivity for silent hill but not MGS.

Last edited:

fermcr

I never said that. And that you are saying this means you are misquoting me. Why? I have no idea.

I specifically said -

I cannot even begin to understand how you would read that, and arrive at what you are accusing me of saying then go as far as calling me a hypocrite lol...

Of course, I wouldn't be ok with it, because that's not what I said. I said, and now I would explain... I am against third-party exclusives, but I am not naive enough to think they will never be a thing. So if they are going to be a thing, then I would rather those exclusives be timed. Because it means I at least get to pay them eventually. As opposed to them being permanent.

Then I made a reference to MS (which mind you if you want to talk about anyone being a hypocrite this is your cue), publically championing games for everyone and being anti-deals or exclusives, while at the same time outright buying out publishers with dozens of IPs under their belt. And that is what the naivety of thinking exclusives have no place in the industry results in. Consolidation.

FF7Remake is a Sony console exclusive deal. FF16 apparently follows the same path... you claimed timed exclusives, but they are full Sony exclusives.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Pretty sad the only rumour for the Playstation Showcase is that a game isn't an exclusive 🙄

Killer8

We have a product for people who can't get the new remake, it's called Xbox 360:

VmZTW7Y.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought they were remaking 1 not 3.
Both rumours are rumours.
MGS3 doesn't make sense but neither did Silent Hill 2.
But Silent Hill 2 is most successful game in the series so maybe that's why they decided to do that one.
But MGS2 & MGS1 sold more then MGS3 soo...That can't be it.
MGS3 is just a odd choice and the rumours have also pointed to MGS1.
We might not see either of them.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

FF7Remake is a Sony console exclusive deal. FF16 apparently follows the same path... you claimed timed exclusives, but they are full Sony exclusives.
Wtf? Whatever kinda agenda you are pushing? Keep me out of it.

You said, enough with third-party exclusives.

To that, I answered that third-party exclusives would always be a thing and that I would prefer that they are timed exclusive.... I didn't mention any games. like just give it a rest.

You misquoted me, and now trying to push this agenda over something that has nothing to do with me or that I didn't even say.

I have made it clear, I am against third-party exclusives, and that I would rather they be timed than outright exclusives. Wtf is so hard to understand there? And you shouldn't even be mentioning SE or the FF IP if trying to make this argument, Sony and SE have had a relationship on that IP that spans decades. But for what its worth, I am not for that being exclusive either.

And last I checked, this is a Metal Gear thread.

Last edited:

fermcr

Wtf? Whatever kinda agenda you are pushing? Keep me out of it.

You said, enough with third-party exclusives.

To that, I answered that third-party exclusives would always be a thing and that I would prefer that they are timed exclusive.... I didn't mention any games. like just give it a rest.

You misquoted me, and now trying to push this agenda over something that has nothing to do with me or that I didn't even say.

I have made it clear, I am against third-party exclusives, and that I would rather they be timed than outright exclusives. Wtf is so hard to understand there? And you shouldn't even be mentioning SE or the FF IP if trying to make this argument, Sony and SE have had a relationship on that IP that spans decades. But for what its worth, I am not for that being exclusive either.

And last I checked, this is a Metal Gear thread.

Nice excuse! /s

Tomeru

I hope they remake this game with actual soldiers and military personnel. Playing against all them dancers and balerinas was weird and uncomfortable.

Pardon my french.

Dokku

I won't enjoy this as much knowing that people are playing on a different console. This is why I'm advocating for it be exclusive to the Dreamcast.

Because Microsoft is a PC company so its naturally expected to come to PC? I was pretty pissed that I couldn't play most of their stuff on my computers and they would have instead pushed me into spending twice the american price + 2/3x the cost for a single game compared to the PC version.

But they already had games for PC like Flight Simulator and Age of Empires. It's one thing they bring all their games to PC..it's another that they do so Day 1. PC has various other advantages over console (no paid online, full mod support/ability, can fully customize the hardware, be a hub for gaming/productivity/business/media, KB & M support by default, etc.) so I'm surprised Microsoft never considered the fuller damaging implications of doing Day 1 for all their games to PC.

OTOH, I do understand that decision WRT securing PC and Windows as a viable home for PC gamers, since all of these PC ports are specific to Windows and not, say, Linux. And MS just happen to own the Windows OS, which is way more valuable to them than Xbox consoles. It's one of many reasons I feel Xbox's business model would be much better if they just made them PC-like gaming devices and operated on a PC hardware business model.

Instead it still feels like MS want to have their cake and eat it too, trying to put big focus to Windows PC gaming and Xbox console gaming but don't have the ability to do both at their optimal level simultaneously. That's why Phil Spencer's doing interviews acknowledging a growing feeling of Xbox owners who feel like second-class citizens in their own ecosystem. He wouldn't have to say these things if Xbox were delivering in terms of consistent 1P AAA content, or even still had a few actual Xbox exclusives that didn't go to PC Day 1 and were actually good (Crossfire X and Space Jam ain't it).

Plus I dunno where you assumed whose people in favour opinions are on other stuff, because i'm the opposite of that, unless you're talking about that other place where everyone of all platforms shares the last line of view.

It doesn't matter if you're on Xbox or PlayStation, or Switch or PC. This idea that exclusives are inherently bad is stupid, point blank. Whether they're 1P or 3P, permanent or timed, exclusives have a lot of advantages in platform ecosystems for both the platform and the games themselves.

However there is a weird flex these days that companies shouldn't get exclusives if they don't own the content; a lot of the same people saying that just so happen to support big acquisitions, particularly if Microsoft is doing them. That isn't a coincidence, because they're actually saying that exclusives are okay but ONLY through a strategy the company they prefer is best suited to exploit. It's basically bias on their parts.

I'm not saying you fall in that definition, I don't even know what your preferred platform(s) are but IMO that doesn't matter when speaking against the idea that 3P exclusives are suddenly a bad thing that should be stopped.

Hot take.
MGS 2/3 Remastered by Virtuous studio's
Time Exclusive.
MGS Remake by Bluepoint Studio's
Exclusive

I could see that happening, but I'm curious if Bluepoint is instead working on something Castlevania-related.

Say if they're doing a SOTN remake in 3D, that would get insane reactions and massive interest right out of the gate. Would eclipse Sony's E3 2016 in fact with that reveal alone, let alone anything else.

Why.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
The only reason why people like me have been expecting Sony collaboration is because of that. MGSV sold barely better than MGS4, and basically matched MGS1. MGS2 is the best selling still.

Why Sony and Konami wouldn’t try a FF7R is unexpected for me. Specially considering the enormous discrepancy in userbase now and the near future, between PS5 and XboxS. I don’t have any faith in Konami pulling off an ambitious remake all by themselves.

Weird analogy, since Square developed FF7R on their own.

If Square and Capcom can pull off their own remakes, perhaps we should have faith Konami can do same? It’s a remake, and it’s not exactly rocket science to pull off a beat-by-beat remake with massively upgraded visuals like what Bluepoint did with Demons Souls.

Bry0

MGS 3 makes sense to me as it’s first chronologically, and it already had a 3rd person mode. Translating 1 and 2 for modern audiences would probably mean ditching the isometric view, but that also means redesigning huge chunks of the game to work in a new perspective. MGS 3 would be much simpler to remake.

Last edited:
Exclusive benefit is just that it will run better because its optimized perfectly for one console, so higher chance of better performance and less bugs.
No exclusive may have some issues with performance and bugs but it makes the game playable for everyone and especially on PC you gain the ability to mod it and improve upon it and potentially rendering it immortal as it will stay available and easy to access for everyone.
So heck yeah, i'll take no exclusives.
Yay but what if it's trash thanks to chosing a small indie studio that does not know how to make games (just like they did with silent hill 2/bloober team) I would prefer bluepoint to handle the remake

Last edited:

Dane

But they already had games for PC like Flight Simulator and Age of Empires. It's one thing they bring all their games to PC..it's another that they do so Day 1. PC has various other advantages over console (no paid online, full mod support/ability, can fully customize the hardware, be a hub for gaming/productivity/business/media, KB & M support by default, etc.) so I'm surprised Microsoft never considered the fuller damaging implications of doing Day 1 for all their games to PC.

OTOH, I do understand that decision WRT securing PC and Windows as a viable home for PC gamers, since all of these PC ports are specific to Windows and not, say, Linux. And MS just happen to own the Windows OS, which is way more valuable to them than Xbox consoles. It's one of many reasons I feel Xbox's business model would be much better if they just made them PC-like gaming devices and operated on a PC hardware business model.

Instead it still feels like MS want to have their cake and eat it too, trying to put big focus to Windows PC gaming and Xbox console gaming but don't have the ability to do both at their optimal level simultaneously. That's why Phil Spencer's doing interviews acknowledging a growing feeling of Xbox owners who feel like second-class citizens in their own ecosystem. He wouldn't have to say these things if Xbox were delivering in terms of consistent 1P AAA content, or even still had a few actual Xbox exclusives that didn't go to PC Day 1 and were actually good (Crossfire X and Space Jam ain't it).
MS games sell well on Steam and most of the time they do run well or somewhat, the idea of excluding PC from launch is bad, these PC focused games also deserve to be on console day one.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Half of GAF wont want it anymore - even tho they hyped it to hell for what seems like years now.

Ive always been in the camp that this 'remake' never needed made in the first place because the original is already perfection.
We need 3d remakes of the MSX originals - or just go for MGS6 already.

I can't imagine Coward Duck as boss, wearing an Australian hat with donald duck reference in metal gear 🦆

Last edited:

Bry0

Yay but what if it's trash thanks to chosing a small indie studio that does not know how to make games (just like they did with silent hill 2/bloober team) I would prefer bluepoint to handle the remake
According to wiki virtuos is composed of 23 studios and 3500 employees.

Barakov

Gold Member
Both rumours are rumours.
MGS3 doesn't make sense but neither did Silent Hill 2.
But Silent Hill 2 is most successful game in the series so maybe that's why they decided to do that one.
But MGS2 & MGS1 sold more then MGS3 soo...That can't be it.
MGS3 is just a odd choice and the rumours have also pointed to MGS1.
We might not see either of them.
It'd be weird if we get a MGS4 Remaster after all of this.

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

Thirty7ven

Banned
Weird analogy, since Square developed FF7R on their own.

I’m sure Sony helped them considering it was exclusive from the start and even switched devs. Either way if FFVIIR had developed the game on their own it wouldn’t have begun development as an exclusive.

SE already confirmed Sony devs worked on FF16 too.

But whatever man.

Ozriel

M$FT
I’m sure Sony helped them considering it was exclusive from the start and even switched devs. Either way if FFVIIR had developed the game on their own it wouldn’t have begun development as an exclusive.

You can sign deals for games that haven't even started development. You can even sign deals for games already in development, like Sony did with Deviation Games title or with the Stellar Blade folks.

SE already confirmed Sony devs worked on FF16 too.

This is a different game from FF7R

There’s really no point in trotting out these unconvincing reasons for why you’d prefer it a PlayStation exclusive.

But whatever

Banned
Knowing the studios behind konami remakes(Blooper,Virtuous)... i would be worried about the games.

yeah, Bloober recently PROUDLY released an Unreal Engine 5 technology demo based on Layers of Fear.
and it's a fucking joke.

It's literally a corridor based walking sim, with last gen looking assets, really mediocre RT reflections, AND... it has UE5 i/o stutters, even tho it's only mostly detailless corridors

Ozriel

M$FT
Oh so they help with FF16 but FF7R they didn’t because you need an argument.

Cool story.

I said there’s no evidence they helped with FF7R. I’m not the one making definitive statements.
Just because Square received help with FF16, it doesn’t mean they also received help with FF7R.

This can’t be that hard to parse.

Anyway, this is a pointless discussion, especially over unconfirmed rumors. But if Capcom put out an excellent RE4 Remake without any co-development help from a platform holder, I’m not sure why you think that development support is a pre-requisite for a great remake from Konami.

Top Bottom