• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake isn't a PlayStation exclusive

Naked Lunch

Half of GAF wont want it anymore - even tho they hyped it to hell for what seems like years now.

Ive always been in the camp that this 'remake' never needed made in the first place because the original is already perfection.
We need 3d remakes of the MSX originals - or just go for MGS6 already.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

darrylgorn

Meaning GIF

adamsapple

Anyone notice in the article that the developer is Virtuous, the absolutely awful studio who did the PS4/X1 era Arkham Collection (20FPS, anyone?) and the newer Outer Wilds: Spacefarers edition (also a technical disaster)?

I think that’s more of a news story than what systems this game is coming to.

Virtuous has been rumored to be the dev behind it for the last 1, 2 years. Unless it get officially confirmed, it is still a rumor, but then again it comes from the same places which accurately penned Bloober as developing the SH2 remake.

So it's probably true.

Last edited:

SCB3

That's great and ultimately irrelevant.

But does this mean it's a full multiplatform game or just PS and PC?

My only concern is that the more I heard it the more it sounds like its some third-party studio remaking the game. As opposed to one of sonys studios. I would worry about the quality of the remake if that were the case. But keeping my fingers crossed that whoever is working on it does it justice.
Usually when other companies say this, its PC and the console, with Sony however they don't seem to count the PC as a platform so its everything else (Xbox and Switch)

I don't think that rules out timed exclusivity. We'll have to see. It would blow the rumour out of the water that Sony managed to get a deal on Konami's big three franchises.

Great. Duck exclusives.

Come on man. Exclusives make systems worth owning. If every system had exactly the same games, the choice for consumers would be very poor indeed. It would inevitably come down to price and performance. But what fun is that?

Enough with 3rd party exclusives.

No issue with them tbh. The lack thereof would only push companies to acquire them to get them. Making third party into first party.

It's just funny how one console manufacturer who is one of the richest companies in the world can't seem to get those deals. Funny isn't it.

adamsapple

With Konami? Absolutely. And if you care about MGS you will hope this isn’t just Konami and Virtuous, otherwise you’re just interested in the console brand and not the game.

They are not Capcom.

Well, to be fair, reading your post it does come off that you care more about the console brand the game is on rather than the game itself.

And we have heard so much rumors about this being Virtuous, it's probably 100% guaranteed to be them. KCEJ very likely doesn't have that kind of development chops to make it in-house anymore.

Mr.Phoenix

Enough with 3rd party exclusives.
Hehehe... very naive thing to say. Hasn't what has been going on in the last two years taught you anything? Do you know what no third-party exclusives really look like?

Bethesda... they become first party.

I don't know about you, I would rather platform holders pay for timed exclusive deals, than buy out the IPs completely and make them first party. So companies like MS would advocate the death of third-party exclusives... while just buying publishers outright behind the scenes.
Suddenly it isn't as special to a select group of people?
So... a sincere question. lets assume you own a PS5 and a PC. And lets also assume you want an MGS3 remake.

If you hear that Virtuous Studios is making MGS3R for PS5, XBSS+SX and PC. Or you hear that Bluepoint s making it exclusively for the PS5 and Nixxes is handing the PC port. Which of those options would give you more confidence as to how the game woud turn out?

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Imagine if this were a switch or Xbox exclusive, people would absolutely freak
If it's a shit dev team I think people will do the opposite of freaking out.
Switch/Xbox people would know the suffering of PS people when Bloober was officially announced as the devs making Silent Hill.
ERibxXNW4AAiYIH.jpg:large

Thirty7ven

Banned
Well, to be fair, reading your post it does come off that you care more about the console brand the game is on rather than the game itself.

And we have heard so much rumors about this being Virtuous, it's probably 100% guaranteed to be them. KCEJ very likely doesn't have that kind of development chops to make it in-house anymore.

Hardcore MGS fan here, if you tell me Phil Spencer signed MGS as a timed exclusive and they got their tech team and maybe a studio like The Coalition or whatever helping with the game I’ll take it right now.

Konami going at it alone with Virtuous who is a support studio? That’s just deflating as all hell, and it probably means we’re dealing with a pussy ass remaster at best, a shit remake at worst.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
Suddenly it isn't as special to a select group of people?
Until we see it who knows? Henderson didn't report this out of the kindness of his heart is the only thing I know for certain.

It's like war in that a hill is just a hill until someone makes it worth fighting over. Henderson knows how to get the warrior set going.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
First time I heard it was supposed to be exclusive. I always thought it wasn't because it's Konami IP.

Maybe timed exclusive, like FF7 (but then Square doesn't bother with porting to Xbox for some reason).

RAIDEN1

To this day, the only Metal Gear that remains a Playstation exclusive is Metal Gear 4.....for me probably the last great Metal gear game, I still have my copy from 2008....where as Metal Gear 5....after a while I had no hesitation in trading it in, and I don't miss it either...

feynoob

Gold Member
Come on man. Exclusives make systems worth owning. If every system had exactly the same games, the choice for consumers would be very poor indeed. It would inevitably come down to price and performance. But what fun is that?
It only benefits the system owner.
It's bad for consumers as you are denying a platform from playing that game.

I have no problem of their own exclusives. But 3rd party games? That is just down right shit.

splattered

If it's a shit dev team I think people will do the opposite of freaking out.
Switch/Xbox people would know the suffering of PS people when Bloober was officially announced as the devs making Silent Hill.
ERibxXNW4AAiYIH.jpg:large
Collaborative effort between KojiPro and The Coalition on unreal engine 5 in development for 3 years boom

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Nice! So....PC then?

I hope so...most people say it was the best one and I've barely played it. I just haven't had it in me to plug in my PS3 for back compat though I do own the game. I know, sad.

Never had a PS2 either. Could only afford an Xbox back then.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hehehe... very naive thing to say. Hasn't what has been going on in the last two years thought you anything? Do you know what no third-party exclusives really look like?

Bethesda... they become first party.

I don't know about you, I would rather platform holders pay for timed exclusive deals, than buy out the IPs completely and make them first party. So companies like MS would advocate the death of third-party exclusives... while just buying publishers outright behind the scenes.

So... a sincere question. lets assume you own a PS5 and a PC. And lets also assume you want an MGS3 remake.

If you hear that Virtuous Studios is making MGS3R for PS5, XBSS+SX and PC. Or you hear that Bluepoint s making it exclusively for the PS5 and Nixxes is handing the PC port. Which of those options would give you more confidence as to how the game woud turn out?

I personally would want Bluepoint to make it all day, if it is being made.

I own PC, PS5, Xbox, Switch, Steam Deck, Soon to be ROG Ally....I buy and play everywhere. I don't actually know who Virtuous are but I know Bluepoint do amazing work.

Was Virtuous rumored to be the Dev when everyone was going on about how amazing this remake was going to be for the last how ever long?

Top Bottom