• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake isn't a PlayStation exclusive

Drizzlehell

Banned
so-what-al-bundy.gif

Ozriel

M$FT
It's relevant and gonna be useful infos for the people that wonder why XX sequel isn't announce for Xbox etc

There’s a significant difference between ‘sell fewer’ and ‘sell poorly’.

Come on man. Exclusives make systems worth owning. If every system had exactly the same games, the choice for consumers would be very poor indeed. It would inevitably come down to price and performance. But what fun is that?

Steam users don’t seem to mind

Flutta

Banned
I mean shouldn’t mean much in the grand scheme of things. Xbox gamers are more used to renting games now anyways.

Mr.Phoenix

I personally would want Bluepoint to make it all day, if it is being made.

I own PC, PS5, Xbox, Switch, Steam Deck, Soon to be ROG Ally....I buy and play everywhere. I don't actually know who Virtuous are but I know Bluepoint do amazing work.

Was Virtuous rumored to be the Dev when everyone was going on about how amazing this remake was going to be for the last how ever long?
Nope... until now we all thought it was Bluepoint. Especially after that cryptic message, Bluepoint put out a while back.

Virtuous has so far been a support studio. They have never done anything to the scale of the kinda remakes Bluepoint does. But they also helped with support for both the Horizon games and have done quite a few ports. So I am keeping my fingers crossed, but now a little bit concerned. Only because I would at least trust Bluepoint to give a remake like this, with Sony backing, the kinda care and attention it deserves. I simply can't say the same about Virtuous.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Nope... until now we all thought it was Bluepoint. Especially after that cryptic message, Bluepoint put out a while back.

Virtuous has so far been a support studio. They have never done anything to the scale of the kinda remakes Bluepoint does. But they also helped with support for both the Horizon games and have done quite a few ports. So I am keeping my fingers crossed, but now a little bit concerned. Only because I would at least trust Bluepoint to give a remake like this, with Sony backing, the kinda care and attention it deserves. I simply can't say the same about Virtuous.

Yeah, I feel bluepoint are making an exclusive castlevania game that looks like bloodborne.

But I can dream....

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I hope everyone realizes this is supposedly being made by Virtuos studios and they fuck up everything they touch

Most likely a timed exclusive then, which is what I was expecting anyway. Question is how long the duration of timed exclusivity would be.

There’s a significant difference between ‘sell fewer’ and ‘sell poorly’.

Steam users don’t seem to mind

Steam users don't have to pay to set up an account.

No more leaks Tom. Just let the show happen.

Very much this. These insiders suck the soul and fun out of these events just to boost their own credibility (or damage it). I could've waited a couple of days for the trailer to see the details and know for myself if it were exclusive or not.

Last edited:
I don't think that rules out timed exclusivity. We'll have to see. It would blow the rumour out of the water that Sony managed to get a deal on Konami's big three franchises.

Exclusives also give a platform its identity, or at least help greatly. If Nintendo put all their games on PC Day 1, the value of the Switch would crater to the ground and they know it. Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft Gaming, has himself said that it's (in his opinion) "very hard for Xbox to be Xbox"; Phil, Xbox's identity was built on having key 1P and 3P Western exclusives, dudebros, and leading the pack in online gaming. And with the 360, doing a lot of the same 3P exclusivity deals you now detest Sony for doing in return.

But Xbox wouldn't have nearly as much a brand identity crisis if it still had some actual exclusives. Why MS thought Day 1 for all 1P on PC wouldn't deteriorate things for Xbox is beyond me. There are other benefits to exclusives though, such as ensuring the game only needs to focus on a single hardware specification rather than a ton of different ones. Having better access to platform holder resources, funding etc. are also benefits when talking about 3P exclusives.

No issue with them tbh. The lack thereof would only push companies to acquire them to get them. Making third party into first party.

It's just funny how one console manufacturer who is one of the richest companies in the world can't seem to get those deals. Funny isn't it.

It's also kind of funny that the people who favor acquisitions in lieu of 3P exclusivity deals are unironically championing the biggest and richest tech companies in the world to fatten their pockets even more. Yet these same people usually ridicule and insult actual billionaire individuals and want rich people to give up 60%+ of their money in taxes or give their money out to everyone else.

So if it's a super-rich individual person it's okay to want them to slim down their wealth, but if it's super-rich mega conglomerate tech companies we want them to acquire even more wealth? Really funny how that works.

Shifty1897

Virtuous is the reason my profile pic has been the Square Enix logo for the last year, they did the miracle port of Nier Automata to Switch, so I wouldn't shoot down any hype for the MGS3 remake just yet. It's a wait and see.

Last edited:

Dane

Exclusives also give a platform its identity, or at least help greatly. If Nintendo put all their games on PC Day 1, the value of the Switch would crater to the ground and they know it. Phil Spencer, head of Microsoft Gaming, has himself said that it's (in his opinion) "very hard for Xbox to be Xbox"; Phil, Xbox's identity was built on having key 1P and 3P Western exclusives, dudebros, and leading the pack in online gaming. And with the 360, doing a lot of the same 3P exclusivity deals you now detest Sony for doing in return.

But Xbox wouldn't have nearly as much a brand identity crisis if it still had some actual exclusives. Why MS thought Day 1 for all 1P on PC wouldn't deteriorate things for Xbox is beyond me. There are other benefits to exclusives though, such as ensuring the game only needs to focus on a single hardware specification rather than a ton of different ones. Having better access to platform holder resources, funding etc. are also benefits when talking about 3P exclusives.

It's also kind of funny that the people who favor acquisitions in lieu of 3P exclusivity deals are unironically championing the biggest and richest tech companies in the world to fatten their pockets even more. Yet these same people usually ridicule and insult actual billionaire individuals and want rich people to give up 60%+ of their money in taxes or give their money out to everyone else.

So if it's a super-rich individual person it's okay to want them to slim down their wealth, but if it's super-rich mega conglomerate tech companies we want them to acquire even more wealth? Really funny how that works.
Because Microsoft is a PC company so its naturally expected to come to PC? I was pretty pissed that I couldn't play most of their stuff on my computers and they would have instead pushed me into spending twice the american price + 2/3x the cost for a single game compared to the PC version.

Plus I dunno where you assumed whose people in favour opinions are on other stuff, because i'm the opposite of that, unless you're talking about that other place where everyone of all platforms shares the last line of view.

I've always associated Metal Gear with the PlayStation brand, felt weird seeing kb/m controls when I played MGS5 on PC. That said, I got over it. Just happy to get more MGS, even if it's a remake, I hope Konami's been using all this time to ensure that their biggest brand got the respect and effort it deserves in a remake....But I don't expect anything from them at this point and just hope for the best.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member

Holy shit, hope that dude was ok 😆

Anyway, uh… cool? I’m always happy to see games Sony hasn’t molested with their money. Assuming the game even exists and that this rumor is true. It could be “multiplatform” the same way FF7R is.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I've always associated Metal Gear with the PlayStation brand, felt weird seeing kb/m controls when I played MGS5 on PC. That said, I got over it. Just happy to get more MGS, even if it's a remake, I hope Konami's been using all this time to ensure that their biggest brand got the respect and effort it deserves in a remake....But I don't expect anything from them at this point and just hope for the best.

The only reason why people like me have been expecting Sony collaboration is because of that. MGSV sold barely better than MGS4, and basically matched MGS1. MGS2 is the best selling still.

Why Sony and Konami wouldn’t try a FF7R is unexpected for me. Specially considering the enormous discrepancy in userbase now and the near future, between PS5 and XboxS. I don’t have any faith in Konami pulling off an ambitious remake all by themselves.

Last edited:
It only benefits the system owner.
It's bad for consumers as you are denying a platform from playing that game.

I have no problem of their own exclusives. But 3rd party games? That is just down right shit.

Right but if you go by that logic so many consoles would barely have any games. Third party exclusives can compliment a consoles library. But some third party franchises will always be known for a certain platform because of their success.

I think you have to keep in mind as well that some of these third party exclusives wouldn't exist without the support of the platform holder. Case in point, Sony completely funded Street Fighter V. Microsoft funded Quantum Break. Etc. These games wouldn't exist unless these deals were made. But equally sometimes it just makes sense to release your game on a set platform. They may well come to others eventually. But for example if you were making a JRPG title that was going to be exclusive to any platform at release because of budget reasons, you'd obviously go Nintendo or PlayStation. If you were making a shooter or multiplayer game you'd go Microsoft. Sometimes it's just business.

hell no... if Sony gets involved you'll have a constant codec window on the top of the screen where an NPC will tell you exactly what to do
demons souls remake had the same gameplay as older one, just different artstyle.

I think the best case scenario would be Bluepoint doing it, but it's almost confirmed it's not them. They were what I meant with sony involvement

Let's hope virtuous delivers it like the return to arkham remasters

Banned
demons souls remake had the same gameplay as older one, just different artstyle.

I think the best case scenario would be Bluepoint doing it, but it's almost confirmed it's not them. They were what I meant with sony involvement

Let's hope virtuous delivers it like the return to arkham remasters

I'm half joking of course, but there's no doubt in my mind that for example the fact that in Last Guardian, every single time you have to crouch through a small gap, a button hint pops into view telling you to press X, is absolutely something that Sony made the developers implement.

the way they playtest is just the worst, they make developers throw in last minute things like the constant puzzle spoilers in GoW just because some low IQ idiot during late development playtesting didn't immediately know what to do.

they are so scared that any player could at any time not instantly progress

Last edited:

fermcr

Hehehe... very naive thing to say. Hasn't what has been going on in the last two years taught you anything? Do you know what no third-party exclusives really look like?

Bethesda... they become first party.

I don't know about you, I would rather platform holders pay for timed exclusive deals, than buy out the IPs completely and make them first party. So companies like MS would advocate the death of third-party exclusives... while just buying publishers outright behind the scenes.

So... a sincere question. lets assume you own a PS5 and a PC. And lets also assume you want an MGS3 remake.

If you hear that Virtuous Studios is making MGS3R for PS5, XBSS+SX and PC. Or you hear that Bluepoint s making it exclusively for the PS5 and Nixxes is handing the PC port. Which of those options would give you more confidence as to how the game woud turn out?

So you perfectly fine if Sony purchases a multiplatform 3rd party title and turn it to a exclusive... but you aren't ok if Microsoft purchase a 3rd party developer and turn their games to exclusives. Do you actually realize how hypocrite you sound?

I'm going to ask you a question and try to answer it honestly... would you be ok if Microsoft purchased 3rd party games like FF7Remake and FF16 and turn then in full blown exclusives?

Last edited:
Top Bottom