• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental wellness check-in

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm kind of in the middle right now. Not great, not terrible. I'm thinking I'm doing pretty good compared to some other people. Also add in the fact that the world is slowly descending into chaos. Taking a step back from the net outside of Gaf was a wise choice. Kinda weird that the outside world is a sanctuary from the terminally online. Strange times we're in.

Aesius

Struggling with my marriage a bit. My wife works a stressful job at a hospital and I work from home. After we get our two kids down for the night, she just wants to relax and watch TV or read a book before going to bed around 10 p.m. I want to talk to her and have quality time together and really spend more than 1.5 hours together a night.

I hate complaining to her but I finally brought it up a couple of months ago, and while things are better and she's making an effort, I'm still sad knowing that I will likely never be her top priority in life ever again. It's work, kids, then me. She also refuses to look for a different job because she finds what she does so fulfilling, even though it basically wipes her out by the end of the day.

It got to the point where I started worrying that she was having an affair and even went through some text messages on her phone. I didn't find anything inappropriate but it did reveal she has a much more robust/vibrant social life at work than I knew. Her job requires her to text and call people all day long in all sorts of positions in the hospital, and she has built good relationships with many of them (women and men). So work serves as her social outlet, and when she gets home, she doesn't really care to sit and have a long chat with me.

It feels bizarre because our relationship has done a 180 since she started this career and we had kids. For years before, she chased me in the relationship and while I loved her and we spent quality time together, I was the somewhat ambivalent, detached one at times. Now I'm desperate for a closer connection with her because it feels like she's barely my wife. I occupy maybe 5% of her energy/thoughts/attention. Not sure what to do or change, especially since she has already changed and been more affectionate/talkative to me, but it still feels like it's not enough. I hate being needy so I just deal with it on my own, but sometimes I think that we are taking the first baby steps out of the 100 or so steps that leads to a divorce.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Probably the hardest year of my life.

My job has been grinding me into dust for years and it literally just doesn't stop getting harder. The nature of my job means I have very frequent deadlines that I simply cannot miss and the volume has been nearly impossible since I started.

Because of my work volume, it is incredibly hard to take time off. The last time I was able to take two or more consecutive days off was about 14 months ago.

To make matters (a lot) worse, I'm being severely underpaid.

I'm only staying because it's incredibly good experience, but I've had two mental breakdowns in the last month.

Nydius

I’m almost permanently stuck between 6 and 7 on this scale. Very, very rarely do I drop below 6 and occasionally I have days between 8 and 9.

But 6-7 is my baseline. Super fun when your insurance won’t cover therapy or psychiatry.

8JurCt4.jpg

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I’m almost permanently stuck between 6 and 7 on this scale. Very, very rarely do I drop below 6 and occasionally I have days between 8 and 9.

But 6-7 is my baseline. Super fun when your insurance won’t cover therapy or psychiatry.

8JurCt4.jpg

Looks pretty.

Lacks lots of nuance.

Saiyan-Rox

Tried too off myself a few months ago

Started seeing crisis therapists and going to the gym, seeing a PT lost some weight and had a date since.

Date didn't go past the first one and it's put me back to square one about potentially wanting to off myself again.

Hell of a year and last year was bad too.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Tried too off myself a few months ago

Started seeing crisis therapists and going to the gym, seeing a PT lost some weight and had a date since.

Date didn't go past the first one and it's put me back to square one about potentially wanting to off myself again.

Hell of a year and last year was bad too.

I hit a low point a couple years ago... Just down about everything... As I was walking to work, I almost walked right into traffic. I was THIS close to either offing myself or becoming paralyzed.

What stopped me is imagining my mom losing her youngest child. I couldn't put her through that. That was my mind's defense.

Please take time for yourself to do things you ENJOY! And enjoy them for YOU! *HUGS*

Saiyan-Rox

I hit a low point a couple years ago... Just down about everything... As I was walking to work, I almost walked right into traffic. I was THIS close to either offing myself or becoming paralyzed.

What stopped me is imagining my mom losing her youngest child. I couldn't put her through that. That was my mind's defense.

Please take time for yourself to do things you ENJOY! And enjoy them for YOU! *HUGS*

luckily (or unluckily) I have access to Insulin so I can do mine in a much nicer and pain free way. I wish I could say I have the same defence but I just don't, the best i'd do is not doing it near Xmas.

it's a flaw but I'm not happy when I'm not in a relationship. last one ended after 6 years because of me and I also can't forgive myself for that. But you lot aren't my therapist lol I don't know what I enjoy anymore tbh

Shifty1897

I'm my usual grumpy self. Just been a while since I've been able to take a day for myself and I'm stretched so thin between my job, my marriage, and my toddler that I basically just rotate between them who I'm gonna disappoint on a daily basis. Going to sneak a PTO day next week and play video games all day.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Struggling with my marriage a bit. My wife works a stressful job at a hospital and I work from home. After we get our two kids down for the night, she just wants to relax and watch TV or read a book before going to bed around 10 p.m. I want to talk to her and have quality time together and really spend more than 1.5 hours together a night.

I hate complaining to her but I finally brought it up a couple of months ago, and while things are better and she's making an effort, I'm still sad knowing that I will likely never be her top priority in life ever again. It's work, kids, then me. She also refuses to look for a different job because she finds what she does so fulfilling, even though it basically wipes her out by the end of the day.

It got to the point where I started worrying that she was having an affair and even went through some text messages on her phone. I didn't find anything inappropriate but it did reveal she has a much more robust/vibrant social life at work than I knew. Her job requires her to text and call people all day long in all sorts of positions in the hospital, and she has built good relationships with many of them (women and men). So work serves as her social outlet, and when she gets home, she doesn't really care to sit and have a long chat with me.

It feels bizarre because our relationship has done a 180 since she started this career and we had kids. For years before, she chased me in the relationship and while I loved her and we spent quality time together, I was the somewhat ambivalent, detached one at times. Now I'm desperate for a closer connection with her because it feels like she's barely my wife. I occupy maybe 5% of her energy/thoughts/attention. Not sure what to do or change, especially since she has already changed and been more affectionate/talkative to me, but it still feels like it's not enough. I hate being needy so I just deal with it on my own, but sometimes I think that we are taking the first baby steps out of the 100 or so steps that leads to a divorce.
I read this about your marriage and it makes me think of my own. My wife thinks I don’t want to spend time with her. She wants me to watch TV with her for hours and to be honest there’s a lot of stuff I’d rather be doing. She binge watches Netflix. She says it’s quality time together, but it’s more often than I enjoy. Also, my job has been a lot more enjoyable than being at home. That sounds bad, so I thought that there’s something underneath the surface. I found out today that Testosterone levels are low. My doctor never tells me that something is wrong. Usually my labs are great, but this time I asked the doc to check my T levels. Honestly, I could stand to lose some weight, but my blood sugar levels are normal. I’ve noticed some changes in the last couple months. I think I’ll start doing whatever treatment my doctor gives me. I told my wife I needed some time to process whatever it is that’s going on, but my mind never wanted to think about it. Life can be a weird SOB.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've never been married but seem my share of friends and fam divorced.

Whatever you do, take care of kids and hope for an amicable split. Some splits were messy, some seemed like no problem. But do not force it. Saw some friends try to force it assuming everything will right itself. Just got worse and everyone was miserable. The second they finally split up, you couldnt believe how happy they suddenly were. It was like night and day. Not only did they perk up but their work improved too. They'd spend so much time frazzled at work or being behind closed doors talking to their lawyer and shit on company time rushing to and from meetings.

If the marriage wanes and people arent feeling it, just split up and both sides look elsewhere for love. Just take care of the kids.

Last edited:

Aesius

I read this about your marriage and it makes me think of my own. My wife thinks I don’t want to spend time with her. She wants me to watch TV with her for hours and to be honest there’s a lot of stuff I’d rather be doing. She binge watches Netflix. She says it’s quality time together, but it’s more often than I enjoy. Also, my job has been a lot more enjoyable than being at home. That sounds bad, so I thought that there’s something underneath the surface. I found out today that Testosterone levels are low. My doctor never tells me that something is wrong. Usually my labs are great, but this time I asked the doc to check my T levels. Honestly, I could stand to lose some weight, but my blood sugar levels are normal. I’ve noticed some changes in the last couple months. I think I’ll start doing whatever treatment my doctor gives me. I told my wife I needed some time to process whatever it is that’s going on, but my mind never wanted to think about it. Life can be a weird SOB.
That's a tough scenario too. I don't mind having a few nights where my wife and I just watch TV or movies together, but I also like nights where we just sit and talk. Are there any other activities you could do with her that don't involve just watching Netflix?

The low T thing could be affecting your libido, which in turn affects your desire for your wife. Even your tolerance for her to some degree. To me quality time and sexual desire tend to go hand in hand and influence each other. The more I want my wife, the more time I want to spend with her. And the more time I spend with her (given our otherwise busy schedules), the more I want her.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's a tough scenario too. I don't mind having a few nights where my wife and I just watch TV or movies together, but I also like nights where we just sit and talk. Are there any other activities you could do with her that don't involve just watching Netflix?

The low T thing could be affecting your libido, which in turn affects your desire for your wife. Even your tolerance for her to some degree. To me quality time and sexual desire tend to go hand in hand and influence each other. The more I want my wife, the more time I want to spend with her. And the more time I spend with her (given our otherwise busy schedules), the more I want her.

We could do lots of things like play games, cards, but TV is the go to because she’s tired. I get that, but I can do other things when I’m tired. I actually enjoy playing games when I’ve had a long day. The games she likes tend to be open world sandbox without any dark tones. She doesn’t like horror or anything dark. To be honest, my libido has tanked. She says I never want to be intimate. I didn’t realize it was such a problem because I didn’t initiate or desire sex. It’s sad when your wife wants sex more than you do, but that’s society telling us all that. It’s embarrassing to admit, but that’s where I’m at. I think if my libido was higher things would be better.

Ikutachi

I think the key thing is you work at home. There's nothing to keep her on her toes to keep the relationship up to snuff, and that you had to prompt her to improve kind of validated that. If there's a social outing you can have that involves beautiful women you can befriend, that's something to think about. Be emotionally prepared for the worst.

Top Bottom