• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental wellness check-in

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Hey y'all.

I lost my job in August and have been relentless in looking for a new job, preferably WAH. My back got pretty messed up in the last few years and I can't be on my feet too much.

As you may surmise, it's been a toll on my mental health.

I got two wins today ... My audiologist didn't charge me for my appt today and I had a new feature turned on for my Cochlear AND I got my audiogram to prove I'm deaf (can't believe these agencies don't keep this information... It's not like I suddenly was tired of deafness... I'd be the only one if that was the case and be studied in a lab! 😂😂😂

Second win was that one of my best friends found my mini-mic accessory to my Cochlear so I can hear in loud spaces. I thought I lost it forever... But it was at her house. I'll get it soon.

The small wins... The little moments where you smile and it's not forced to make others feel good but because you GENUINELY feel good .. celebrate those! Even if you have very little money like I do ... Celebrate the little wins. Acknowledge the wins and let it motivate you as these have for me. I hope I find work soon. This has been a very traumatic and trying year for me ... Especially the last 5 months. It's so important for your mental health to acknowledge and celebrate your small wins

Thank you for listening to me. I'm a bit tipsy so....

*Holds up the sign for "I love you"*

How are you?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I’m going to Vegas to see U2 in the sphere.

giphy.gif

Dev1lXYZ

One of the worst years of my life. A guy walked out in front of my wife’s moving vehicle last Christmas Eve. He lived with only having a broken leg. It was ruled his fault by the police, but that didn’t save us from multiple lawsuits. Our insurance company ended paying the guy 70k and the other cases were dropped.

Meanwhile, we had a regime change at work. The new regime wanted to clean house and I got swept a little bit. I take pride in my job and they messed with the wrong guy at the wrong time. I got my union involved and my job basically laughed at them as DeSantis’ union busting bill had just gone into effect. Thankfully, the union survived and the regime backed off of me when I got very serious about how I would never have to work again after I finished suing the hell out of them.

I suffer from long COVID and haven’t been very energetic and it was extremely hard and exhausting. I started taking Wellbutrin that helped a lot with the fatigue and Xanax for the anxiety caused by my job.

I don’t plan on taking X for very long and try not to take any unless I can’t sleep at night. That’s another thing about long COVID, your sleeping pattern goes to shit. I sleep only 5-6 hours a night, when I used to get 8-9 easily. The fact that no one believes you and there aren’t any accommodations really sucks too.

But man, the games have been awesome this year. I may have waded through hell, but I’ve played EVERYTHING and enjoyed every second.

DT- I’m glad you got things sorted out man. Life is tough sometimes, but it makes you appreciate things a whole lot more when things turn around.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Life is hard. Lost a dog that was very dear to me

One of the worst years of my life. A guy walked out in front of my wife’s moving vehicle last Christmas Eve. He lived with only having a broken leg. It was ruled his fault by the police, but that didn’t save us from multiple lawsuits. Our insurance company ended paying the guy 70k and the other cases were dropped.

Meanwhile, we had a regime change at work. The new regime wanted to clean house and I got swept a little bit. I take pride in my job and they messed with the wrong guy at the wrong time. I got my union involved and my job basically laughed at them as DeSantis’ union busting bill had just gone into effect. Thankfully, the union survived and the regime backed off of me when I got very serious about how I would never have to work again after I finished suing the hell out of them.

I suffer from long COVID and haven’t been very energetic and it was extremely hard and exhausting. I started taking Wellbutrin that helped a lot with the fatigue and Xanax for the anxiety caused by my job.

I don’t plan on taking X for very long and try not to take any unless I can’t sleep at night. That’s another thing about long COVID, your sleeping pattern goes to shit. I sleep only 5-6 hours a night, when I used to get 8-9 easily. The fact that no one believes you and there aren’t any accommodations really sucks too.

But man, the games have been awesome this year. I may have waded through hell, but I’ve played EVERYTHING and enjoyed every second.

DT- I’m glad you got things sorted out man. Life is tough sometimes, but it makes you appreciate things a whole lot more when things turn around.
aren't you right leaning? how does it feel with that desantis shit and nobody believing long covid ? genuinely asking

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I'm a bit aimless in life but otherwise I'm fine. No real problems to speak off.

Find it funny how the mind works. I always though that getting rid of all problems will lead to 24/7 happiness... but instead it just makes you more vunerable to depression.

That was a massive design flaw god...

Last edited:
Thank you for making this thread, I am sure many besides me are not ok, obviously we will hear responses from both kids and adults that dont understand, thats cool I would never wish hurt like that on another
Peace to you

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
First of all Keep up the good work GAF I’m proud of you and small steps will make a long journey. It takes a lot of courage and self awareness to pull yourself out of a dark place. You guys are amazing for that. It’s about progress not perfection.

Weather outside is cold and gray plus rain
But keeping positive

I'm doing better. I had a few small wins went to watch a film in French (the creator) understood about 50/60% of the French dub. Which is good as I am continuing to learn French. So it’s not going to waste. I did a test and I A2.1 so just at that level. I had some time to be able to take an intensive month long course and in the course. I could understand 90% of all the teacher was saying. My reading improved etc but not to an everyday level. I also improved my confidence in speaking
Doing a modified huberman daily routine.

Mostly that means enough sleep. Water before bed. And when I wake up. Sun light in morning chilling out without the phone. Etc wake up times can vary due to shift pattern etc but I aim for 7/8 hours
Which means
I’ve been getting enough/better sleep so feeling better. Cannot stress this enough sleep is important

Also
Teaching myself editing using adobe premiere. To help in my job prospects.
Did a month free of linked in learning. Will use other YouTube videos or free courses to learn more and I have a lot of holiday footage from over the years to work with.

Been using the stoic app and it’s good
Made me realise how I spoke to myself and how it affected me mentally

Make sure you catch yourself if you talking to yourself negatively or derogatory. You wouldn’t talk to a person you care about in such a hard way. But the way you talk to yourself, just treat yourself as you would someone you care about and give yourself that care.
It makes a difference over time.

I’ve also been trying hard to catch myself in a negative thought spiral.

I Need to keep on the weight loss and exercise getting older so it’s harder to shift. Who am I kidding I been eating a lot as well. But from doing exercise I was able one day to sprint for a bus and not be out of breath majorly.
I don’t drink or smoke or do any drugs. Apart from prescription ones lol. So my vice is food. Mostly any and all. I’m m really not fussy so.

Been listening to audiobooks and just investing in myself.

Nothing is perfect but I think/hope I’m slowly making progress.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'm a bit aimless in life but otherwise I'm fine. No real problems to speak off.

Find it funny how the mind works. I always though that getting rid of all problems will lead to 24/7 happiness... but instead it just makes you more vunerable to depression.

That was a massive design flaw god...
I know that feeling. I think we get a “now what??” kind of realisation, we done the thing, we reached the finish line.

Time for the promise land.

I been reading and listening to things in the past and I think they always leave out the. It still takes (a lot of) work and most importantly you have to learn to love the journey mentality.

trying to get into that mindset more. Before I was” if I do X, Y will disappear meaning I won’t have to do X anymore. “

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not too bad. The transition to being freelance has by and large gone pretty well, with a few extra stresses involved here and there. My family’s health problems have calmed down a bit, which helps my state of mind - although I never get away from dreading one of ‘those’ phone calls. Am very much looking forward to getting back out to Australia to see my Aus family in January.

Glad you’re feeling upbeat DT.

For those of you feeling not so great, go to your doctor. Mental health problems are no different from physical health issues. If you have a constant pain in your back, you go get treatment, a pain in your heart or mind is absolutely no different. Plenty of help is accessible, and medication exists when those other methods might fail.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

How? Why? What!? So someone walks out in front of you and he somehow wins?? How does a judge not throw that case out the fucking window and if that's the case why can't your wire sue him for emotional damage now that she can no longer drive a car or something... That's just fucked up

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
How? Why? What!? So someone walks out in front of you and he somehow wins?? How does a judge not throw that case out the fucking window and if that's the case why can't your wire sue him for emotional damage now that she can no longer drive a car or something... That's just fucked up
The justice system doesn't work for normal people, it just doesn't. Period

My father, worked seven days a week almost for most of his life, had several work related injuries, never compensated for them properly, still went back to work every day, was killed in a care home after an operation on a stint at 62, he was only in there to recover. Lawyers were involved, everyone walked away, scott free. A human, was killed, at the hands of a nurse and shitty ambulance service, that still has her pin..

I have all the records, even the ambulance service screwed up.. nothing was done

My wife was mugged by some little shit head. I found his picture, address, I even managed to screen cap some evidence from his twat sister who gave him up over WhatsApp. I gave it all to police, they closed the case two hours later. 'Nothing could be done' they said

I'd be prime suspect if I did anything now. These are just two things, I've seen too many

Woman gets burnt by hot coffee in McDonald's? We cant bend over enough and where shall we send the cheque..?

Nothing makes sense.

Everyday I hope things will get better, everyday they get worse. For everyone.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I asked my lad what plane you was on just by looking at the pic. 737 Max, United..

He's such a geek :messenger_tears_of_joy:
He is correct. I will give you another in 2 hours. This flight is full and there is a nice older lady watching me type about her on my phone right now before takeoff. Flight is full.

Mistake

Things are going well for me. I still have a few issues to work out which may be mostly resolved after this weekend, but still going well.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't know.
It's not like I feel specially down or sad or anything but I also haven't really felt happy for a prolonged period of time in years.
Going through some financial difficulties these past few years doesn't help

I’m going to Vegas to see U2 in the sphere.

Seek help my friend, self harm isn't the answer

Go_Ly_Dow

Mentally good and each day wake up looking forward to the day ahead. On and off therapy over the years has helped me figure myself out and be more honest with what I want.

Took a risk career/work wise 2 years ago by quitting my job and becoming self-employed aka day trading stocks/shares and this has so far worked out and put me in a much better financial position. I hope to continue doing it forever but its a high risk/high reward way of living, so we'll see! 🤞

Relationship wise me and my former fiance parted ways 2 years ago and since then I haven't met anyone else but have been dating. Recently I've been eager to meet someone. A wife and kids would be nice.

I'm happy with my weight but have let myself go by not exercising enough over the past 2-3 months, so feeling the need to do more weights and cardio.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Seasonal Depression is kicking in so just keeping myself busy, I feel like I need a change in job at the moment, something more fulfilling even if it pays less.
Look into taking Vitamin D3 with K2 (you usually get both in one supplment) for seasonal depression. It might help.

Dev1lXYZ

I more or less expected it. Let this be a lesson. If you hit someone with a vehicle, even when they themselves walked out in front of you….they can sue you and your insurance company. The insurance company knows that it’s cheaper to settle than to waste the time and legal expenses. That’s how real life is these days. The guy‘s medical bills still had to be pretty high and cutthroat attorneys fees are also a large chunk gone. He survived because he was jacked up on meth and drunk on top of it. I’m hope he turned his life around afterward, because it was a miracle. 60 mph Tahoe strike is normally death.

poodaddy

I'm sorry you lost your job OP. It doesn't pay much, but if you truly just need work and it needs to be work from home, please check into Telus ad rating. It's reputable, and I've been doing it for about six months now to supplement our income every month. It's a boring as sin job and it's only 14 an hour, but you choose your own hours and most weeks lately they've been allowing 35 hour weeks. I'm happy for your small wins though OP, sincerely.

As for my mental wellness check in, I'm still processing something. Just found out about two hours ago that my mother found my Step Dad's body in the fetal position, blood trickling out of his mouth and his head swollen with blood. She said there were flies everywhere. I think I'm still kind of in shock. He was my real Dad, my father didn't stick around. I can't imagine him ever being in the fetal position, he must have been in pain, and he was alone. I live across the country, can't shake the feeling that I did something wrong by not living closer but I know that's ridiculous. I don't know. Just finished shaking about a half hour ago. Don't know what to do now. I've never done this. My mother is alone now and she's across the country, but I have a daughter and a very busy wife here. This could not have happened at a worse time.

Don't really know why I unloaded that. I don't have many friends, I think I just wanted to tell someone.

Anyway, yeah. I don't know. Wish I could feel less. Can't sleep now, just laying in bed with my wife and dog, wondering what the hell I'm going to do with my mother.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm sorry you lost your job OP. It doesn't pay much, but if you truly just need work and it needs to be work from home, please check into Telus ad rating. It's reputable, and I've been doing it for about six months now to supplement our income every month. It's a boring as sin job and it's only 14 an hour, but you choose your own hours and most weeks lately they've been allowing 35 hour weeks. I'm happy for your small wins though OP, sincerely.

As for my mental wellness check in, I'm still processing something. Just found out about two hours ago that my mother found my Step Dad's body in the fetal position, blood trickling out of his mouth and his head swollen with blood. She said there were flies everywhere. I think I'm still kind of in shock. He was my real Dad, my father didn't stick around. I can't imagine him ever being in the fetal position, he must have been in pain, and he was alone. I live across the country, can't shake the feeling that I did something wrong by not living closer but I know that's ridiculous. I don't know. Just finished shaking about a half hour ago. Don't know what to do now. I've never done this. My mother is alone now and she's across the country, but I have a daughter and a very busy wife here. This could not have happened at a worse time.

Don't really know why I unloaded that. I don't have many friends, I think I just wanted to tell someone.

Anyway, yeah. I don't know. Wish I could feel less. Can't sleep now, just laying in bed with my wife and dog, wondering what the hell I'm going to do with my mother.

Wish I could give you a hug. I know it's tough losing a parent.

She didn't raise me but I got to know her and love her since I was 15... Lost my birth mom 3 years ago. My bio siblings and I were planning to go see as she wasn't expected to live out the rest of the month... But our plans were a day late as she passed the NEXT day after we talked and cemented our plans. I just hope she knew we loved her.

Whitecrow

Banned
Not too bad here.

I'm not in a terrible position, but I'm quite lost in life.
I'm socially awkward, shy, with ADHD, an OK job with OK salary, but I cant move from my parents house, which it's been taking a toll on me for some years now, and I pity me each time I see myself in the mirror, since all I can see are flaws.
And I have a mild hyperacusis, which makes me more uncomfortable in a lot of social situations, and made me unable to enjoy music as much as I always did.

I dont have terrible health, but still, looks like everything in my life is a fight, and I'm tiiiiired.

Actually just today got sideswiped trying to pull out of a three way intersection. There was a big ass truck blocking the view from the right, but some old lady on our left was stopped and was motioning for us to go, so we did and there was someone coming from the right. Luckily he pulled to the right in time and only lightly scraped/bumped the car.

Me, my wife, and our five month old were in the car, and luckily us and the guy in the other car were fine. Luckily still the guy wasn’t upset and we were able to exchange information amicably. My insurance should cover my costs, but now I just need to see if they are going to find anyone liable for it.

I don’t think either of us would be liable since we couldn’t see each other and another third person kept motioning for me to pull out. So I’m hoping the other guy’s insurance will cover his damages and everything will be fine. I really hope it doesn’t get into liability or legal issues. The important thing though it no one got hurt, especially my daughter. It’s could’ve been a lot worse.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For me, everything kind of just hums along fine. But a small win is that my cable company finally fixed some wires outside my house. In the spring, some workers did some work on my neighbour's grass and cut some wires which turned out to be my internet. But oddly their internet was fine.

A week later a technician came to fix it temporarily by planning to split my neighbour's service into mine. But they werent home so he couldnt get approval and I couldnt get hold of them either. So we did some rewiring looping a wire from the street over one of my trees to the side of my house. It works. But ugly.

They finally came by last week to fix it in the dirt permanently. Took like half a year. It looks like the company scheduled this crew to fix tons of shit in the neighbourhood since all day they were doing their stuff at different homes and around the block too at other homes when I drove by.

Hey Deaf, just curious about your deafness. It looks like you can hear with your device, but how loud and clear is your heaing?

Let's say someone stood right in front of you and talked to you in a normal volume voice. Would that be a-ok and clear? At what point/distance does your hearing kind of fade out as it's too far?

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
For me, everything kind of just hums along fine. But a small win is that my cable company finally fixed some wires outside my house. In the spring, some workers did some work on my neighbour's grass and cut some wires which turned out to be my internet. But oddly their internet was fine.

A week later a technician came to fix it temporarily by planning to split my neighbour's service into mine. But they werent home so he couldnt get approval and I couldnt get hold of them either. So we did some rewiring looping a wire from the street over one of my trees to the side of my house. It works. But ugly.

They finally came by last week to fix it in the dirt permanently. Took like half a year. It looks like the company scheduled this crew to fix tons of shit in the neighbourhood since all day they were doing their stuff at different homes and around the block too at other homes when I drove by.

Hey Deaf, just curious about your deafness. It looks like you can hear with your device, but how loud and clear is your heaing?

Let's say someone stood right in front of you and talked to you in a normal volume voice. Would that be a-ok and clear? At what point/distance does your hearing kind of fade out as it's too far?

Hey Beige. Well, it depends on the background noise mostly. Someone could be right next to me and I'd have a hard time understanding them even though I can hear their voice.

If all is quiet in the background, I can understand them fine and crystal clear. Distance-wise, depends on how loud their speech is. 5ft is the limit where I can understand speech clearly, quiet background and all.

Folks seem to think my deafness is cured... It's not. I'm still deaf. My battery runs out and if I don't have a spare with me, I can't hear a thing.

Also, hearing and understanding what I'm hearing; two different but related things... Some people don't understand what I mean. I have to keep explaining it to folks ... Mostly new folks.

I appreciate the question.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went and got a physical today. I also got a flu shot. That felt better than just not going for one this year. I’m considering seeing a therapist again. It’s nothing new and it’s nothing alarming. Mental health is important and my insurance pays for it. They’re checking my T levels and that hasn’t been fun. I get it. Society doesn’t want to hear about a man and his emotions about his penis. :) otherwise I’m doing ok.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My reco for people who need some mental health help is ask your company HR (assuming it's big enough and they listen) to improve health perks. Every big company will probably have their eyeglass and dental perks, but for vague stuff like mental health if you bug them enough they might add in benefits.

The past year my company added incremental benefits where we can claim an extra $1500 on medical/mental stuff. It is on top of our usual benefits. You'd have to look at the policy to see what qualifies and not, but it's vague and flexible enough as long as you dont try to claim hookers and beer, it'll probably be approved.

Its just one of those things that the past bunch of years with covid, wfh, medical issues etc.... some companies will dish out extra perks to help you out.

If your company doesn't do this (and it seems reasonable they are big enough they should be able to afford it), see if you and coworkers can band together and suggest to HR and bosses for more perks.

At worst they say no. A good company will work with people to improve it. Just make note it'll take time and benefit changes always change beginning of a fiscal year (at least in my experience it does). So you'll have to be patient and wait for the timing the company will flip the switch.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
After literally three years of trying, I finally got an in-person therapist for the first time in my life. I’m only a month or so in, but it’s already been a positive change.

The one downside is that I told my therapist one of my hobbies is gaming, and so now he shoehorns 90% of his metaphors into “relatable video game” things. Like how life can feel like a constant struggle, like getting first place in Fortnite. (That’s not a real example, but you get what I mean lol.)

But, fuck, the pandemic plus work stuff really made some bad habits for me, and as a mid-thirties dude who no longer has any semblance of energy, I am also just drifting along. Therapy has been a boon so far, though.

That, and boofing adderall.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Not bad. I turned down a ticket to this years Blizzcon, btw. I could have went to all the panels and what not.. also lol @ closing out the con with K-pop. Microsoft already doing great.
Nah... when I get off work (I could have gone after) I don't feel like doing shit, except a hot shower, a solid meal and my 96% THC + Video Games or Movies, or I just watch Shorts till I get sleepy.

All in all, I am o.k, I am slowly coming to terms with what is going on all around us, atm. I felt information overload a couple of days after Oct 7th, but I stepped back from all media, minus My Shorts, now I feel ready to soak it all in again.

Top Bottom