• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect EGM Cover Story = Seven Soldiers In Space

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
jarosh said:
importance of storyline: 10%
importance of storytelling: 90%

like our good friend ebert said: it's not important WHAT it is about, but HOW it is about

excellent post. I was about to post something similar....

but I couldn't have done it with the finesse that you did. Anyways, a very true statement.

temp

posting on contract only
jarosh said:
importance of storyline: 10%
importance of storytelling: 90%

like our good friend ebert said: it's not important WHAT it is about, but HOW it is about
He then went on to say

There will be malcontents who claim I am not the real author of this review, because how could a cat know that after you mention a character in a movie, you include the name of the actor in parentheses? Do these people believe a cat lives in a vacuum?

Zaptruder

Banned
The story outlined there... doesn't even make sense!

Why would an ancient alien race leave short lived beings for millenia before coming to harvest a bunch of them?

Wouldn't it be easier to take half of them frequently, which would allow the races to regenerate in relatively short order?

And they probably according to the story travel from galaxy to galaxy harvesting multiple races. WHY WOULD THEY GO FROM GALAXY TO GALAXY?! It sounds like they're using all the fuel/energy from the harvesting to go on a never ending massive intergalactic joy ride.

Scary for the victims is one thing... but if you're going to use hyper intelligent beings as the villains, give them at least half way intelligent motivations.

Amir0x

Banned
maybe they harvest and whatever they harvest lasts them for the millenia or whatever, so that's why it takes them so long to come back

Zaptruder said:

Why would an ancient alien race leave short lived beings for millenia before coming to harvest them?

Because you have to let the race reach a certain level of technological development before they're fit to be harvested again? This is Evil Alien Harvesting 101, guys.

Zaptruder

Banned
Amir0x said:
maybe they harvest and whatever they harvest lasts them for the millenia or whatever, so that's why it takes them so long to come back

Well, yes, certainly a possibility, but at the same time, why hasn't this hyper intelligent race devised a more efficient means of energy then harvesting sentient races?

It's not even like the matrix, which kinda covered some of its bases, by blocking out the sun!

No... these alien overlords are apparently just pricks.

Hunter D

Zaptruder said:

Why would an ancient alien race leave short lived beings for millenia before coming to harvest a bunch of them?

Wouldn't it be easier to take half of them frequently, which would allow the races to regenerate in relatively short order?

And they probably according to the story travel from galaxy to galaxy harvesting multiple races. WHY WOULD THEY GO FROM GALAXY TO GALAXY?! It sounds like they're using all the fuel/energy from the harvesting to go on a never ending massive intergalactic joy ride.

Scary for the victims is one thing... but if you're going to use hyper intelligent beings as the villains, give them at least half way intelligent motivations.
How about waiting for the game to come out. All we have seen so far is a basic summary of the plot. You are asking questions that should be asked after you actually play through the game.

Amir0x

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Well, yes, certainly a possibility, but at the same time, why hasn't this hyper intelligent race devised a more efficient means of energy then harvesting sentient races?

maybe because the process of the harvest keeps people in constant fear, and also makes sure they never get quite strong enough to become a political or military threat

just throwin' out ideas i mean we don't have much to go on!

Zaptruder

Banned
Synthesizer Patel said:
Because you have to let the race reach a certain level of technological development before they're fit to be harvested again? This is Evil Alien Harvesting 101, guys.

If they took half of them every few hundred years, that would leave their tech base in place to propogate, as well as giving them much shorter time to regenerate to harvestable populations!

Come on man! These aren't just any ordinary evil aliens! They're alien OVERLORDS!

Hunter D

Zaptruder said:

It's not even like the matrix, which kinda covered some of its bases, by blocking out the sun!

No... these alien overlords are apparently just pricks.
Maybe they think of them the same way we think of the animals we eat?

temp

posting on contract only
Maybe the robots feed of off the happiness of intelligent species, and they need to leave them alone for a millenium so they forget about the alien robots that eat them and become happy again.

Amir0x

Banned
Hunter D said:
Maybe they think of them the same way we think of the animals we eat?

well, they'd have to be pretty dumb aliens to think that. i mean, cognizance shouldn't exactly be a foreign concept to those powerful enough for crossing a galaxy and harvesting races for energy

Zaptruder

Banned
Hunter D said:
How about waiting for the game to come out. All we have seen so far is a basic summary of the plot. You are asking questions that should be asked after you actually play through the game.

I'm been facetious, yes. But at the same time, it doesn't mean even with fleshing out that the general premise isn't a flawed one to begin with.

Good writing is not unlike good design (or anything else really); they both need great details, but at the same time, it's best if they're both working of good bases to begin with.

Speevy said:
No you wouldn't. Bioware is one of the most acclaimed developers in PC gaming history.

This is true.

TOO BAD THEY'RE NOT DEVELOPING PC GAMES ANYMORE.

Instead we get dumbed down console crap with horribly contrived good/evil systems and predictable plot twists.

Speevy

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
This is true.

Instead we get dumbed down console crap with horribly contrived good/evil systems and predictable plot twists.

OMG YOUR OPINION IS WRONG. Blitzball for you.

Why the hell would they be harvesting them for ENERGY?

Just cause the Matrix had that terrible second-law violating plot point doesn't mean other evil races are as completely boneheaded in their harvesting.

It's far more likely that races are being harvested for their synaptical/emotional/spiritual capacity, not because they're out of D-sized batteries.

Seriously, do you know anything about why lesser races would be harvested? Energy?! Give me a fcukin break.

GreekWolf

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Sure they are. Dragon Age and the new MMORPG come to mind.

I think you're getting Lionhead and Bioware confused.

I'm actually really confused by the energy comment.

What the hell.

The whole point of harvesting is to keep your crop in check, not to eliminate it. More important than the sheer numbers of your crop are its current level of cultural development. Harvesting races for energy reasons is entirely thermodynamically irresponsible, so you always have a better reason for needing sentient creatures to do your enslaved bidding than "lol batteries."

Are the youth of today really as so ignorant as to not know the first goddamned thing about harvesting sentient races? Depressing.

GreekWolf

Nerevar said:
sounds like Star Control.
Which would be the highest compliment any game could recieve.

Seriously, I got the exact same vibe when watching the demo. The galaxy hopping, planet exploring, upgrading your ship and interacting with bizarre alien races makes everything feel like Mass Effect is a proper sequel to SC2.

Zaptruder

Banned
Synthesizer Patel said:
I'm actually really confused by the energy comment.

What the hell.

The whole point of harvesting is to keep your crop in check, not to eliminate it. More important than the sheer numbers of your crop are its current level of cultural development. Harvesting races for energy reasons is entirely thermodynamically irresponsible, so you always have a better reason for needing sentient creatures to do your enslaved bidding than "lol batteries."

Are the youth of today really as so ignorant as to not know the first goddamned thing about harvesting sentient races? Depressing.

Regardless of the harvesting reason; it's said, they wipe out civilizations during their harvesting.

So, not sure who you're criticizing there Synth.

Indeed... if it was a grand scheme to harvest psychic energy... why not just hook them up matrix style?

Whatever the case is, my point still holds true; the premise is flawed.

Zaptruder said:
Regardless of the harvesting reason; it's said, they wipe out civilizations during their harvesting.

They wipe out civilizations; they don't extinguish the race. Race != civilization. They eliminate the race's ability to retaliate, while leaving enough behind to be "harvested" again in a few more millenia. Reread that description.

THINK!

Zaptruder

Banned
Synthesizer Patel said:
They wipe out civilizations; they don't extinguish the race. Race != civilization. They eliminate the race's ability to retaliate, while leaving enough behind to be "harvested" again in a few more millenia. Reread that description.

THINK!

I'm thinking you have an unnatural need for defending this...

You're right Race doesn't mean civilization, but at the same time, a civilization can be composed of mulitple races, so it could be wiping out multiple races!

Moreover, if the plot is centered around such a device... it's safe to assume that the player is somehow involved in stopping this harvesting (saving the universe type deal), and as such, the alien overlords haven't done an entirely good job of eliminating the ability to retaliate.

Zaptruder said:
I'm thinking you have an unnatural need for defending this...

You're right Race doesn't mean civilization, but at the same time, a civilization can be composed of mulitple races, so it could be wiping out multiple races!

Sure, that's fine. The point is that decimating a civilization is not concordant with driving a race (races) to extinction; in fact, "on a routine cycle" specifically speaks out against said extinction.

Zaptruder said:
Moreover, if the plot is centered around such a device... it's safe to assume that the player is somehow involved in stopping this harvesting (saving the universe type deal), and as such, the alien overlords haven't done an entirely good job of eliminating the ability to retaliate.

First of all, we don't even know the entire plot. It's entirely possible that it's based around defending against a single instance of the harvesting, rather than stopping the machine overlords once-and-for-all. Have to leave something for the later games, after all.

Second, it's established that human beings are new to the galactic stage and, as such, could be a "wild card" not taken into account by the harvesters' plans. If humans haven't been harvested before, then they may have some advantages they can lend these other races.

The reason I'm defending it so much is because dismissing a three-game narrative based on a one-sentence, over-simplified summary is, well, dumb. Especially when there are countless possible logical explanations for what's-going-on. Don't be dumb, Zaptruder.

Zaptruder

Banned
Synthesizer Patel said:
Sure, that's fine. The point is that decimating a civilization is not concordant with driving a race (races) to extinction; in fact, "on a routine cycle" specifically speaks out against said extinction.

Or they could simply seed multiple civilizations over multiple galaxies.

The reason I'm defending it so much is because dismissing a three-game narrative based on a one-sentence, over-simplified summary is, well, dumb. Especially when there are countless possible logical explanations for what's-going-on. Don't be dumb, Zaptruder.

I'm not saying the story will be dumb (nor that the game not worth playing). But definetly, there will be a lingering feeling of incompleteness, if overreaching parts of the plot are based on flawed premises. (whether or not they are flawed remains to be seen; but there's certainly room for doubt!)

That said, I've read plenty of incomplete fiction, and the gaping plot holes haven't really stopped me from enjoying them.

jarosh

let's have 5 pages over a vague two-sentence description of the basic premise of an unfinished story from an unfinished videogame! YES

Hunter D

Amir0x said:
well, they'd have to be pretty dumb aliens to think that. i mean, cognizance shouldn't exactly be a foreign concept to those powerful enough for crossing a galaxy and harvesting races for energy
They are superior to the other races in the game. And its not like the idea I stated hasn't been used before. Take the robots in the matrix for example, they treat humans like cattle.

Amir0x

Banned
Hunter D said:
They are superior to the other races in the game. And its not like the idea I stated hasn't been used before. Take the robots in the matrix for example, they treat humans like cattle.

ok being superior doesn't mean you don't understand cognizance. In fact, it would mean they probably understand the concept better. And there's no evidence to say the robots in the Matrix think of the human race as no different than animals - the fact that they created an elaborate matrix actually is evidence to the contrary

Hunter D

Amir0x said:
ok being superior doesn't mean you don't understand cognizance. In fact, it would mean they probably understand the concept better. And there's no evidence to say the robots in the Matrix think of the human race as no different than animals - the fact that they created an elaborate matrix actually is evidence to the contrary
Didn't say they don't understand cognizance.

The little bit of the story that has been revealed leads me to believe they don't think much of the other races.The story is about them harvesting the other races after all.

Zaptruder said:
If they took half of them every few hundred years, that would leave their tech base in place to propogate, as well as giving them much shorter time to regenerate to harvestable populations!
No, you want to knock a civ back to the bronze age and give them a couple thousand years to reach the eventual population boom due to tech if you want to prevent any serious development towards retaliation. The benefit of knocking a civ so far back is that you pretty much ensure that your previous harvest will be regarded as a myth. Leaving the tech base and half the population for a few hundred years pretty much ensures that whatever you left behind ain't going to be what's greeting you next time.

As for the harvest pattern, humans are near the edge of the galaxy; seeding a lot of planets nearer to the galactic core would make a lot more sense, and would explain why Humans Save The Day since we would be a wildcard.

Of All Trades said:
No, you want to knock a civ back to the bronze age and give them a couple thousand years to reach the eventual population boom due to tech if you want to prevent any serious development towards retaliation. The benefit of knocking a civ so far back is that you pretty much ensure that your previous harvest will be regarded as a myth. Leaving the tech base and half the population for a few hundred years pretty much ensures that whatever you left behind ain't going to be what's greeting you next time.

As for the harvest pattern, humans are near the edge of the galaxy; seeding a lot of planets nearer to the galactic core would make a lot more sense, and would explain why Humans Save The Day since we would be a wildcard.

AT LAST, someone who understands the proper methodology for harvesting sentient races! We have these rules for a reason, you know!

salute.jpg

Sallokin

Just read the article, and it just seems like there's TOO much to do. I never thought I'd actually think that about a game. I'm also happy to hear that the games won't be cliffhangers.

I don't know if I should be excitied for this or not. Graphics and coversation system seem great, but the little gameplay I saw looked horrid. Kotor = great, Jade Empire not so much, so I think I'm in a wait and see mode.

Zaptruder said:

Well, in Seven Soldiers the reason is that the society at Summer's End had stagnated; it wasn't the people themselves they wanted, it was their technological ideas, their fashions, culture, music, everything. Harvesting them too soon would stop civilization from reaching its nadir, and only taking half would have alerted humanity to their presence and allowed the to begin formulating a defence.

So since this is borrowing from SS, I guess that's the case here.

Zaptruder

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
Well, in Seven Soldiers the reason is that the society at Summer's End had stagnated; it wasn't the people themselves they wanted, it was their technological ideas, their fashions, culture, music, everything. Harvesting them too soon would stop civilization from reaching its nadir, and only taking half would have alerted humanity to their presence and allowed the to begin formulating a defence.

So since this is borrowing from SS, I guess that's the case here.

Sounds somewhat intresting. Although, what is seven soldiers? Some kind of literary work from?

But still... the question of why harvest remains?

What was the reason in SS? Wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to engage in intergalactic congress with the fledgling societies? Or assimilate them into their own empire? If it's the case of harvesting psychic energy (or some such), then wouldn't matrix style machines be adequate?

At this point, I'm more just curious how one would make that kind of plot work well... not trying to troll.

Zaptruder said:
Sounds somewhat intresting. Although, what is seven soldiers? Some kind of literary work from?

A freaking brilliant comic written by Grant Morrison. It would take too long to describe here, but it was seven interlocking four issue mini series - none of the characters ever meet, but their stories all affect one another, and there are all kinds of weird synchronicities between them.

Each series was kind of a different genre as well, and the whole thing comes together into what Morrison calls a 'hypersigil' - a work of associative images and ideas that coalesce into one large scale work designed to stimulate transformative mental processes in both the creator and reader. Each Soldier is archetypal, and represents an individuation and growth cycle for that aspect of the personality. There's a TON of eastern and Judeo-Christian/Qabbalistic subtext and symbology to the series; Morrison is himself a practicing Crowleyite/Chaos Magickian.

What was the reason in SS? Wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to engage in intergalactic congress with the fledgling societies? Or assimilate them into their own empire? If it's the case of harvesting psychic energy (or some such), then wouldn't matrix style machines be adequate?

At this point, I'm more just curious how one would make that kind of plot work well... not trying to troll.

In that series, because they'd stagnated. They were a Monarchic autocracy, and they had reached an evolutionary dead end. They possessed magic and technology that had made most tasks routine, but were culturally spent. They could only progress by assimilating new ideas.

Storywise, they choose the route they did because by destroying humanity they forced the survivors to rebuild their society in a different way. The series begins with the destruction of Camelot and the last stand of the Round Table; Avalon's magic and wisdom is replaced in the present day by our scientific and rational knowledge. This allowed them to reap different types of human society rather than just assimilating one. Why they do this to humanity rather than various alien civilizations isn't explored, although the last issue has been delayed 6 months so perhaps they go into detail there.

The reasons why are probably subtextual - their leader is the archetypal wicked queen, the 'bad mother' stand-in of fairy tales. Her people, the Sheeda represent the fear of death that overshadows our personality, and forces the ego to make decisions for its own benefit and survival against those of others. As the work is designed as a hypersigil meant to energize aspects of the personality while simultaneously sublimating the dominating role of the ego and transcend its confining worldview, a personification of the roadblocks that prevent this was necessary. Morrison chose adversaries that are avatars of Jungian shadow archetypes to do so.

Zaptruder said:
A series of comics (seven different comics of 4 issues, each about one of the soldiers, plus a prologue and yet to be released finale) written by Grant Morrison. Most of it is collected in tbp form.

Maybe they need alien pineal glands. All it needs to be is something organically grown that isn't easily replicable. Maybe the part differs depending on the environmental conditions, who knows. Hell, it could be brains for all that it matters.

Further, if the harvesting race is robotic, it's possible that they're operating on commands from a now-dead race.

The Sheeda (bad guys) are just nasty folk in general, as they are magical and therefore powerful without the need for rational behavior. It's pretty weird. Time/Space don't seem to apply to them, either.

jett

D-Member
Mass Effect looks cool and sounds cool. System seller potential for me.

One question though, does it have a create a character mode, or am I stuck with generic bald space marine design fo life?

arne

EDIT, thanks zaptruder:

The debate on this page, shows to Wanderer on the first page, that: even if you think it's the same old rehased storyline in general, it still isn't.

Zaptruder

Banned
arne said:
I think all the debate and ideas for what the story could be and why aliens would wait millenia to come harvest people on earth and all that just proves wanderer over there on the first page that even if you think it's the same old rehased storyline in general, it still isn't.

no?

Hmmm? You mean to say:

The debate on this page, shows to Wanderer on the first page, that: even if you think it's the same old rehased storyline in general, it still isn't.

Because for a while I was reading; Wanderer was right about 'even if you think it's the same old rehased storyline in general, it still isn't.'

Which was confusing, because that isn't what he was saying.

Coop

jett said:
Mass Effect looks cool and sounds cool. System seller potential for me.

One question though, does it have a create a character mode, or am I stuck with generic bald space marine design fo life?

You can customize your character like all bioware games.

Top Bottom