• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition Launch Update Is Reportedly Huge, Patch Notes Leak

Miles708

Remember back in the day when games were released in a finished and complete state.

If the game requires such a huge day one patch, then IMO the game isn't finished.

> Remake a game came out in 2007
> Keep project secret to avoid public pressure
> Take years to develop it to make sure is ready
>>> Gigantic day one patch.

WTF.

Last edited:

Nico_D

For me it is not about tweaking day 1 patch, that is fine.

But if it something like Disco Elysium, that is just poor QA. Game breaking bugs, a lot of missing voice dialogue, badly working interactions. As wide spread as those issues were, how could they be missed in testing?

It seems to be the latter is becoming more common. 10 gb is not a good sign.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

But if it something like Disco Elysium, that is just poor QA. Game breaking bugs, a lot of missing voice dialogue, badly working interactions. As wide spread as those issues were, how could they be missed in testing?

Its not missed content or accidental broken code getting pressed.

It's intentionally left in sloppy work, in hopes a later patch will fix it.

Miles708

Hot take: day one patches are made for shareholders, not for gamers.
They would just delay the thing otherwise. But quarter expectations must be met at all costs.

Freeman76

Holy shit what's with all the negativity over a day one patch that pretty much all modern games have now?

The game went gold about a month ago iirc and it's a good time between then and release to patch up and improve things further. I get that Bioware isn't exactly on peoples fav. list anymore but calling this "pathetic" is.. weird..

Have a day one patch and people go crazy
Release the game without one and have more bugs and people go crazy

It's literally a lose-lose.

All those snowflakes who get banned from Era need somewhere else to spread their poison, unfortunately GAF is the next best thing. Anyone with even a modicum of a life has far more shit to spend time on than an 11GB patch. I just add them to my ignore list and make GAF a brighter place for myself.

mhirano

All those snowflakes who get banned from Era need somewhere else to spread their poison, unfortunately GAF is the next best thing. Anyone with even a modicum of a life has far more shit to spend time on than an 11GB patch. I just add them to my ignore list and make GAF a brighter place for myself.
-Calls people 'snowflakes'.
-Blocks anyone who thinks differently.
bY8phXh.gif

Andodalf

Banned
Remember back in the day when games were released in a finished and complete state.

If the game requires such a huge day one patch, then IMO the game isn't finished.

When? I only remember when games shipped with bugs that just stayed forever, and were many times completely gamebreaking. Also lol at complete, they cut content back then just like they do now, you just had lower expectations and the media never told you about it

Miles708

When? I only remember when games shipped with bugs that just stayed forever, and were many times completely gamebreaking. Also lol at complete, they cut content back then just like they do now, you just had lower expectations and the media never told you about it

You and me live in different universes I think.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Practically every game released on disc since the PS360 days has had some sort of day 1 patch. It honestly makes me wonder why people continue to buy discs. It's like intentionally collecting broken toys. "At least I'll be able to play it when the digital stores disappear" is a funny perspective since what you're playing may actually be unplayable without patches.

Derktron

Banned
You really have no idea how much effort it takes to code games.
I really wish people would stop giving excuses to these major developers who have tons of money and tons of resources to fix that issue if that is an issue. These are excuses at this point, especially when they have enough time to do what you claim. I can understand if the devs are indie, where they don't have enough resources or manpower to do such a thing but these companies are worth millions and millions of dollars. We don't give excuses for the movie industry and music industry so what makes gaming anything different.

Freeman76

-Calls people 'snowflakes'.
-Blocks anyone who thinks differently.
bY8phXh.gif

Erm, are you really that short on sense? I have 0 interest in reading all that bullshit. Doesnt mean I cant take a differing opinion, just got no time for idiots. If you think that makes me a snowflake then I can just add you to that list.

Umbasaborne

Banned

I agree, devs and publishers have gotten to much slack. I know games are big undertakings, but why isnt it possible to release a finished game on disc anymore. Id love to hear a devs pov

mhirano

Erm, are you really that short on sense? I have 0 interest in reading all that bullshit. Doesnt mean I cant take a differing opinion, just got no time for idiots. If you think that makes me a snowflake then I can just add you to that list.
I don't think anyone is a snowflake, every opinion counts.
I think that online forums are really a waste of time, but so are videogames. But I still waste my time on them because they're FUN!

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Being a game collector and fan of the trilogy, this sounds really shit. I will not preorder anymore the game and wait if the physical version is not too buggy.
In this day and age there are very, very few games worth owning via physical due to them being shite without patching, hell, the last game I can honestly remember being a solid on disc release was Dark Souls 2 on the PS4 (so maybe the X1 is the same). I'm sure there are others but they're few and fair between.

Arun1910

I really wish people would stop giving excuses to these major developers who have tons of money and tons of resources to fix that issue if that is an issue. These are excuses at this point, especially when they have enough time to do what you claim. I can understand if the devs are indie, where they don't have enough resources or manpower to do such a thing but these companies are worth millions and millions of dollars. We don't give excuses for the movie industry and music industry so what makes gaming anything different.

You should read the entire post again. If you still don't understand then that's on you. I said why it's impossible to catch all bugs.

Comparing games to movies in terms of complexity is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Jokerevo

Banned
Am I the only one who saw the side by side's of the original vs the remaster and couldn't tell which even looked better?

And I'm a Mass Effect fan, but the new look of it.... wasn't impressed.
Lmao you must be. You were watching 4k trailers right? On a 4k TV?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Back before consoles were online and developers had no choice but to ship a finished game.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
Cars release finished. TV releases finished. Books release finished. Music releases finished. Movies release finished. TV shows release finished. General software releases finished. Sure, it gets patched when issues arise, but it's not "release MS Office without printer support and patch it in five months later" or "MS Word spelling checker becomes pay to use with patch 1.2 after reviews are out".

Games release with entire levels, episodes or maps missing, that the devs promise will come later, but then they don't. Anthem was supposed to be this awesome, future changing thing. We know what happened.

Battlefield drops season passes and promise everything will be free. Then, what constitutes "everything" is cut down 80%.

And that shit with review embargoes. FUCK that! FUCK the gaming websites and YouTube shills who get free Cyberpunk chairs and tell you how awesome and mold breaking Cyberpunk is, and when the game launches, it's "oops, I had no idea". I wish every reviewer was like Mack from Worth a Buy. He calls shit out the second he sees it and doesn't give a fuck about review copies. I'd rather read/watch an honest review than a day one review, thank you.

Did Roger Ebert care about review embargoes? No, he saw a movie he thought was shit, and called it out.

The gaming industry is full of lies, fraud, grief and exploitation. It is shameful and it's awful.

I really really miss the 1990s, when computer gaming was less mature and spoiled by greed and corruption. And it was a lot more creative, too. And games were complete, and you didn't need an internet connection to get fixes for a broken game you bought on release.

There's a reason why I'm spending a lot more time replaying my older games: they don't disappoint me.
Hold your horses, man. This "unfinished products" disease is also infecting TVs.

Heck, even some "important" software nowdays is "never finished", as its now released as a subscription, like Office 365 or Adobe Creative Suite.

I have GamePass for that reason as well: try before buy. You can't trust reviewers and gaming industry is full of bullshit. If I can't find a game on GamePass, I go as far as waiting for playthroughs on YouTube and seeing for myself if it's worth the money.

Having said that, I was truly excited to order Mass Effect Legendary Edition day-one, as that trilogy were my favorite games from the PS360 era. Seeing that it has day-1 patches has curbed my enthusiasm a bit and will wait and see some gaming footage on Youtube before ordering.

There is no way we can support these kind of bullshit tactics from developers.

SCB3

Speaking of Patches, does anyone know if Andromeda got anything major since its Launch? I was just watching an older Launch day playthrough of it and I've not touched it since I beat it when it came out

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Speaking of Patches, does anyone know if Andromeda got anything major since its Launch? I was just watching an older Launch day playthrough of it and I've not touched it since I beat it when it came out
Been playing it on the series S and it plays fine, on the very odd occasion it'll throw up an odd bug but it's mostly solid.

reinking

Gold Member
Practically every game released on disc since the PS360 days has had some sort of day 1 patch. It honestly makes me wonder why people continue to buy discs. It's like intentionally collecting broken toys. "At least I'll be able to play it when the digital stores disappear" is a funny perspective since what you're playing may actually be unplayable without patches.
It is economics for me. I will continue to buy disc based consoles as long as they are available. It is not about choosing disc over digital. It is about shopping for the better price available. Disc seem to be cheaper most of the time. Plus, I can trade/sell the disc if I decide to do so.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hold your horses, man. This "unfinished products" disease is also infecting TVs.

Heck, even some "important" software nowdays is "never finished", as its now released as a subscription, like Office 365 or Adobe Creative Suite.

I have GamePass for that reason as well: try before buy. You can't trust reviewers and gaming industry is full of bullshit. If I can't find a game on GamePass, I go as far as waiting for playthroughs on YouTube and seeing for myself if it's worth the money.

Having said that, I was truly excited to order Mass Effect Legendary Edition day-one, as that trilogy were my favorite games from the PS360 era. Seeing that it has day-1 patches has curbed my enthusiasm a bit and will wait and see some gaming footage on Youtube before ordering.

There is no way we can support these kind of bullshit tactics from developers.
Well it can be seen on current consoles, it's crazy how unfinished OS is/was. It wasn't like that before...

DrAspirino

Banned
It is economics for me. I will continue to buy disc based consoles as long as they are available. It is not about choosing disc over digital. It is about shopping for the better price available. Disc seem to be cheaper most of the time. Plus, I can trade/sell the disc if I decide to do so.
That depends on the country. Here in Chile at least, physical games never go on sale, and most of the time you can get the better price on foreign e-stores, as there are only 3 major gaming retail stores and the 3 of them collude in pricing (Zmart, Microplay, and WePlay). Heck, they have Crash Bandicoot 4 at US$82, while the same game is only US$64 in my country Xbox store (and even cheaper in other countries e-stores).

Neil Young

Didn't a good chunk of the development take place DURING the pandemic? How dare they release a day one patch when their optimal working conditions have been impacted!!

The nerve of these developers, in the month-plus in between going gold and releasing the game, they decided to continue to address bugs and fix some things, when they should've just moved onto the next game just so "gamers" don't have to endure a Day 1 patch. Like do some of you want the games to have bugs in them just so you don't have a Day 1 patch? Or would you rather them continue to look for bugs that they can patch?

Also lol at these people acting like the "lazy developers" of today don't care as much as devs during older generations, games back then had the same amount of bugs as today, the only difference was they couldn't fix them. Also these are very unlikely to be gamebreaking bugs, so this notion that the game is "broken" without this patch seems misguided. Just because a game has a day 1 patch doesn't mean it's unplayable without it, it's just better with it.

SCB3

The nerve of these developers, in the month-plus in between going gold and releasing the game, they decided to continue to address bugs and fix some things, when they should've just moved onto the next game just so "gamers" don't have to endure a Day 1 patch. Like do some of you want the games to have bugs in them just so you don't have a Day 1 patch? Or would you rather them continue to look for bugs that they can patch?
I think people just want the complete experience to be retained offline and for preservation really, but the thing is, we've moved on from that now

Shifty1897

I sort of checked out the minute I found out Bioware thought it would be too hard to port the game from UE3 to UE4 so they're just releasing a UE3 game in 2021.

dotnotbot

I sort of checked out the minute I found out Bioware thought it would be too hard to port the game from UE3 to UE4 so they're just releasing a UE3 game in 2021.

Lame, but maybe not a bad decision if they were constrained by money and time. Batman Arkham remasters are a nice reminder how bad porting to UE4 could go.

Last edited:

MAX PAYMENT

Where are the people that swear by physical that tell me I will lose my digital games? I'd love to see them play their patchless games when I lose my digital copies.

/s

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Where are the people that swear by physical that tell me I will lose my digital games? I'd love to see them play their patchless games when I lose my digital copies.

/s
Why the sarcasm? Wouldnt you like to know disc games wouldnt need to be patched and could be played years down the line?

You comment comes across as a weak moral victory, for no reason.

M1chl

I am preloading EU version at just 20GBs? That's on XSX, so no fancy compression. Does not seems right...

Stuart360

Gold Member
I am preloading EU version at just 20GBs? That's on XSX, so no fancy compression. Does not seems right...
Interesting. Steam is down at the moment so i cant check the PC version, but the key sites have it down as 120gb, but that itself doesnt sound right either, and sounds more placeholder.
Maybe thats why the day one patch is 12gb, a lot of it is actual game data.

M1chl

Interesting. Steam is down at the moment so i cant check the PC version, but the key sites have it down as 120gb, but that itself doesnt sound right either, and sounds more placeholder.
Maybe thats why the day one patch is 12gb, a lot of it is actual game data.
Pardon shitty quality, I was just zooming at screen, but here is the info
20210510_18210075jl0.jpg

So that seems really low.

Stuart360

Gold Member
Pardon shitty quality, I was just zooming at screen, but here is the info
20210510_18210075jl0.jpg

So that seems really low.
To be fair, the better textures are just AI upscaled, whihc means the texture size wont go up at all compared to the older games. The more detailed assets will take up a bit of extra room, but not as much as stuff like textures. Its entirely possible that even though the remasterd games look better (especially the first game), the actual size of each game may not of gone up much at all.
Pretty sure on PC the orig games were something like 5gb for ME1, 7gb for ME2, and 8gb for ME3. Throw in 2 or 3 extra gigs for the dlc, and it will be close.

If the day one patch does include mostly game data, we would be talking about 32gb fhe new edition. Could be about right.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
To be fair, the better textures are just AI upscaled, whihc means the texture size wont go up at all compared to the older games.

What now? If I take a 100x100 texture and upscale it to 4k x 4k, it will look like shit but will still take up the same space which is 4096 x 4096 x 16/32 bit. The size on disc is most likely small due to FMV (or lack of it). Video and audio takes up a huge check in story driven games. Of course compression is also an unknown variable in all this.

Last edited:

Look at Disco Elysium. Everyone's indie darling. It took them 10 patches.

Don't buy at release.

Stuart360

Gold Member
What now? If I take a 100x100 texture and upscale it to 4k x 4k, it will look like shit but will still take up the same space which is 4096 x 4096 x 16/32 bit. The size on disc is most likely small due to FMV (or lack of it). Video and audio takes up a huge check in story driven games. Of course compression is also an unknown variable in all this.
As someone who mods a lot, thats not how it works on PC. There are texture packs for many games (Skyrim for example) that have been upscaled and look significantly better than base textures, yet take up less room.
Although like you said, better compression could be a major factor here.

Top Bottom