• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect EGM Cover Story = Seven Soldiers In Space

Okay, so I touched on it in the EGM Scores thread, but all the details in the story were just too bonerizing to sully by spilling them in that saloon shootout of a thread.

Here's the story-related quote that inspired the thread title:

Apparently, the entirety of organic civilization as you know it is merely a Matrix-y crop, allowed to grow up by ancient machine races that have ruled the galazy for millions and millions of years. They come to harvest us on a routine cycle, decimating civilization every couple thousand years.

Basically the article just fleshes out all the little stuff we've heard about (Customizability, Ongoing Character Between All Three Games And The DLC, Upgradable Everything). But seeing it all spelled out alongside hott new screenshots will make Mass Effect anyone's most desired game ever.

It does a great job of showcasing how fantastic the design of both the armor and the alien races is. I love both the angles and the branding. Not to mention the color choices. Man, everything is just about perfect. And it looks like your ride is just as customizable, down to the nitty gritty, like grip and handling.

And it teases on what's to come in terms of DLC and future installments of the series. (
Future Earth?
)

Basically, if you don't have a 360, don't read this article. It will hurt too much.

wanderer

That better not be the storyline, sounds generic and boring.

EDIT: Before anyone else jumps on top of me, I am only commenting on the storyline as it now. The game still blows me away if for nothing else then the scale alone is worth keeping track of it eagerly.

I'm sorry I typed anything at all now.

wanderer said:
That better not be the storyline, sounds generic and boring.

Seven_Soldiers_Frankenstein_2_800x600.jpg

O RLY?

Sugarman said:

Having read both (and Planet X and Universe X and X X and X X [X]), I like Seven Soldiers (and the comparison) better.

Plus, in certain EGM screenshots, your main character even LOOKS like old Grant Morrison himself.

:D

wanderer

BenjaminBirdie said:
Read Seven Soldiers, discover how pretty much the same storyline can be about as ungeneric as anything you can imagine, get back to me.

How about no, I was basing my judgement on initial reactions to what was written in the chain quote. Maybe it could be amazing, but I don't want to play another aliens have been controlling us bollocks.

jimbo

Banned
OMG I downloaded the video off Xbox Live. This game is my most anticipated game for the 360. Holy F*** at the character interactions. And the atmosphere and art. This game better deliver, cause it's deffinitely got all the right stuff. And yeah, it may sound generic....but hey Halo is just a soldier shooting aliens.

wanderer said:
How about no, I was basing my judgement on initial reactions to what was written in the chain quote. Maybe it could be amazing, but I don't want to play another aliens have been controlling us bollocks.

Then...don't?

wanderer said:

Definitely don't read Seven Soldiers, man. Why burden your life with enjoyable experience. It's too short!

The best part is the last sentence "Maybe it could be amazing" (Oh, we can only hope! That would be a great thing to experience! And, well, if it's amazing, then I guess it renders the next part of sentence obselete, but here it comes anyway!) "but I don't want to play another aliens have been controlling us bollocks." (Even if it turns out to be amazing? But that -- Oh forget it.)

wanderer

BenjaminBirdie said:
Definitely don't read Seven Soldiers, man. Why burden your life with enjoyable experience. It's too short!

The best part is the last sentence "Maybe it could be amazing" (Oh, we can only hope! That would be a great thing to experience! And, well, if it's amazing, then I guess it renders the next part of sentence obselete, but here it comes anyway!) "but I don't want to play another aliens have been controlling us bollocks." (Even if it turns out to be amazing? But that -- Oh forget it.)
Actually you're spot on, irregardless of how good this game is I really don't want to play another "aliens have been controlling us bollocks". The game may well turn out amazing, but that's irregardless to how I view the story as it is now. No contradictions in my post.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I'm reading the article now, Zinio download. Even though I haven't enjoyed Bioware RPGs in the past, holy **** are these visuals incredible. The Matrix-like story does come off as generic, but I like the fact humans are seen as "noobs", the freshmen in this governing space council.

Back to the article...

Goreomedy said:
I'm reading the article now, Zinio download. Even though I haven't enjoyed Bioware RPGs in the past, holy **** are these visuals incredible. The Matrix-like story does come off as generic, but I like the fact humans are seen as "noobs", the freshmen in this governing space council.

Back to the article...

That's what's going to be soooooooo dope about the continuing storyline and maybe (just maybe)
seeing what Future Earth is like.
That's what's got me zazzed about the whole enterprise. Seven Soldiers did the same thing, taking a tired ass concept (that everyone already hates [see: this thread]) and making it awesome through context and detail.

Tieno

BenjaminBirdie said:
Seven Soldiers did the same thing, taking a tired ass concept (that everyone already hates [see: this thread]) and making it awesome through context and detail.
Which Prey didn't do all that well. But I think it'll be different with Mass Effect.

bengraven

wanderer said:
Cheers for that little Timmy, that thought never crossed my mind.

You make me sad. Hating on a game just because a story sounds slightly familiar to others.

But at the same time, don't buy it so I won't have to listen to you crying in the future Official Mass Effect Thread about how much you hate it.

wanderer

bengraven said:
You make me sad. Hating on a game just because a story sounds slightly familiar to others.

But at the same time, don't buy it so I won't have to listen to you crying in the future Official Mass Effect Thread about how much you hate it.
*sigh* opinions. I didn't even hate on it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
It's not an attempt at redefining a shooter. It's actually an evolution from KOTOR into the realm of third-person shooter action.

I wish they had gone into more detail about the combat mechanics. The strategy elements sound great as always, but how does the combat itself "feel". The shooting action in the Mass Effect Xbox Live video looked like ass.

I don't care if it alienates RPG fans. They've got to beef up the intensity of the action, and allow full control over it. Please!

jarosh

importance of storyline: 10%
importance of storytelling: 90%

like our good friend ebert said: it's not important WHAT it is about, but HOW it is about

Speevy

Banned
jarosh pretty much hit the nail on the head.

People, Bioware games engage the player and make dialogue scenarios into gameplay scenarios. That's what it's all about. As a matter of fact, that is without question the most compelling aspect of KOTOR and Jade.

Doom_Bringer said:
just out of curiosity have you played and beat KOTOR? What did you think of the story line?

sucked and predictable, saw the "twist" coming 3 planets away, zzzzz. of course the story was crippled from the start by being set in the incredibly lame star wars universe.

that said, seven soldiers rocks and so will mass effect!

Speevy

Banned
Synthesizer Patel said:
sucked and predictable, saw the "twist" coming 3 planets away, zzzzz. of course the story was crippled from the start by being set in the incredibly lame star wars universe.

Yeah...I'm going to have to kill you now.

Tiktaalik

Goreomedy said:

Back to the article...

What the crap? My Zinio says there are no new publications?! And I just used one of the links I found here to sign up just the other day and I got the August one. I can't find the link on GAF anymore either. Does anyone know what the EGM digital signup link is or how I can get Zinio to recognize that I have a digital subscription?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
wanderer said:
Actually you're spot on, irregardless of how good this game is I really don't want to play another "aliens have been controlling us bollocks". The game may well turn out amazing, but that's irregardless to how I view the story as it is now. No contradictions in my post.
Except for multiple uses of the nonsensical "word" "irregardless," which is a double negative word with a negative prefix contradicting a negative suffix. So where you are using "irregardless" to indicate that it "doesn't matter" to you how good the game is, you are actually saying, by your choice of wording, that it "does matter" to you.

So actually your entire post means the exact opposite of what you think it does. Which is fairly contradictory, if I do say so myself. Good job.

Surreal

I wish someone would give me an army of devs and millions of dollars. I'd make a better game than this. Anyways, I hope they get the sense of freedom right. Because if it's like "lol, can't go there, blackhole.","sorry hostile territory.","no one lives here! can't do it." That'd suck.

Speevy

Banned
Surreal said:
I wish someone would give me an army of devs and millions of dollars. I'd make a better game than this. Anyways, I hope they get the sense of freedom right. Because if it's like "lol, can't go there, blackhole.","sorry hostile territory.","no one lives here! can't do it." That'd suck.

No you wouldn't. Bioware is one of the most acclaimed developers in PC gaming history.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Surreal said:
I'm glad you know how superior your game-making skills are when stacked up against a game you haven't played that won't be released for a good year or so.

And you know you don't fly around aimlessly in space looking for stuff or anything like that, right? You navigate between planets with a star map.

bud

wow

bald spacemarines with body armour AND A GENERIC STORY.

why do they do this?

the game will be fun no doubt but still :(

Uncle

Surreal said:
I wish someone would give me an army of devs and millions of dollars. I'd make a better game than this.

I'm an eccentric millionare, and I would like to hear your idea. Would you be so kind to post it, so I could judge whether to give you the money or not?

Hunter D

Surreal said:
lol put the pipe down man.

:lol; Holy crap, that really is exactly the plot from Seven Soldiers of Victory! DC and Grant Morrison oughtta sue. Too bad they don't have badass excalibur-wielding Frankenstein or subway pirates :(

Still, the footage on the 1up show was mindblowing. Frothing demand = not decreased.

Himuro said:
Guys, the story is a lot more interesting when you read the article even if it sounds a little generic.

Can you actually fly your space ship or do you have to follow that galaxy map as is via point and click?

Looks like point and click. But damn that map looks so slick.

jarosh

Bud said:
wow

bald spacemarines with body armour AND A GENERIC STORY.

why do they do this?

the game will be fun no doubt but still :(
mass effect is one of the few 'space games' that stands out. the footage we've seen so far looks far from generic. both the style and the atmosphere are very unique and the vibe i'm getting is so different from most of the space/sci-fi crap we've seen recently.

i also don't get how people can seriously criticize and even write off the game based on a short plot outline. is that what you do if you rent a movie?

"Following the death of a publishing tycoon, news reporters scramble to discover the meaning of his final utterance"

sounds pretty lame. i'll pass.

Top Bottom