• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect EGM Cover Story = Seven Soldiers In Space

Coop said:
You can customize your character like all bioware games.
The implied range in which you can customize your character, however - seems to be far greater than Bioware's previous efforts.

I expect you'll be able to customize almost everything in your own image of Shepherd.

Zaptruder

Banned
U K Narayan said:
The implied range in which you can customize your character, however - seems to be far greater than Bioware's previous efforts.

I expect you'll be able to customize almost everything in your own image of Shepherd.

Female, DD, puffy nips.

arne

Zaptruder said:
Hmmm? You mean to say:

The debate on this page, shows to Wanderer on the first page, that: even if you think it's the same old rehased storyline in general, it still isn't.

Because for a while I was reading; Wanderer was right about 'even if you think it's the same old rehased storyline in general, it still isn't.'

Which was confusing, because that isn't what he was saying.

oops.

yes you got what i meant to say.

perhaps somewhat fitting I have the remake of War of the Worlds on and, hey, guess what it is about? A super advanced alien civilzation that came to earth to kill the population and uses humans as an energy source.

temp

posting on contract only
Coop said:
You can customize your character like all bioware games.
You can't customize your character at all in Jade Empire, and KOTOR is only picking a different face. It sort of sounds like there's a better create-a-character than they've ever done in Mass Effect, or at least I'm hoping so.

Zaptruder said:
Female, DD, puffy nips.
Finally a worthwhile contribution to this thread, Zap.

arne said:
perhaps somewhat fitting I have the remake of War of the Worlds on and, hey, guess what it is about? A super advanced alien civilzation that came to earth to kill the population and uses humans as an energy source.

You also have a terrible movie on.

But that has more to do with how the story is told. Jarosh had it right with the Ebert quote, Garfield 2 review notwithstanding.

arne

buckfutter said:
You also have a terrible movie on.

But that has more to do with how the story is told. Jarosh had it right with the Ebert quote, Garfield 2 review notwithstanding.

haha, busted. it is quite terrible.

Wollan

I guess I could complain on how insanely unlikely it would be for us to go up against these machines that have been extremly technological for a millions of years and just kept on evolving but then of course it would never be a game.
I really like the setting.

arne

Speevy said:
The world is crumbling, Tom Cruise. SCREAM DAKOTA FANNING, SCREAM

I didn't know you wrote the script! wow, celebrity in the house. :p

Wollan said:
I guess I could complain on how insanely unlikely it would be for us to go up against these machines that have been extremly technological for a millions of years and just kept on evolving but then of course it would never be a game.

david and goliath dude, david and goliath.

oh wait, that story too has been rehashed over and over and it's old as dirt. I guess even more reason for wanderer to be right.

I just saw those EGM scans with the Mass Effect story and HOLY CRAP does it look incredible. That's got to be the most impressive next gen graphics I've seen.

This game is so money. I can't wait.

Azazela

Banned
What I liked about the EGM scans is that the finally show some day footage, all that darkness in the trailer was pretty lame.

Game looks amazing too.

antipode

The game sounds great, but were they really going to reveal that plot point at the beginning of the story? It sounds really spoiler-y.

Unless it's something like the Butlerian Jihad in Dune where it's more important to the setting than as plot.

jett

D-Member
U K Narayan said:

Awesome. Bioware should release some screenshots with different looking Shepards to demonstrate the engine's versatility.

GreekWolf

jett said:
Awesome. Bioware should release some screenshots with different looking Shepards to demonstrate the engine's versatility.
Definitely. And in case some of the Bioware guys are lurking, how about an Easter Egg which allows you to play through the campaign as the alien bartender or one of the other races. That would be a nice reward for completing the game under certain conditions, like a time limit.

Wollan said:

Those damn machines will never understand the power of the human spirit. [/everystorylikethisever]

GreekWolf said:
Definitely. And in case some of the Bioware guys are lurking, how about an Easter Egg which allows you to play through the campaign as the alien bartender or one of the other races. That would be a nice reward for completing the game under certain conditions, like a time limit.
While it would be cool, I can't see the final result of that working too well. You are supposed to be the spearhead of humanity's expansion in the galaxy, after all.

Easter egg. Meh, well, I reckon that could work. That idea would be way sweeter if it was an entirely different campaign. :)

JCBossman

Banned
Synthesizer Patel said:
I'm actually really confused by the energy comment.

What the hell.

The whole point of harvesting is to keep your crop in check, not to eliminate it. More important than the sheer numbers of your crop are its current level of cultural development. Harvesting races for energy reasons is entirely thermodynamically irresponsible, so you always have a better reason for needing sentient creatures to do your enslaved bidding than "lol batteries."

Are the youth of today really as so ignorant as to not know the first goddamned thing about harvesting sentient races? Depressing.

I with you SYNTH, What the hell are our schools teaching our kids these days?, I mean we Gotta get back to basics, the HELL with the 3 R's(TWO of them aren't even R's!)
We Need MORE technically proficent students and the SOONER they learn about Harvesting Sentient Races the better! What do you think the Red Chienese are teaching thier kids, yeah, thats right, Harvesting Sentient Races.I met an 8 yo chineese girl who knew more about the basics of Harvesting Sentient Races than a LOT of freshman in college in the states...

JCBossman

Banned
The more I think about it, this is a job for PARENTS, you talk to your kids about Drugs and Sex, why NOT "give them the talk" about Harvesting Sentient Races, I mean I know it's a little uncomfortable but better little Johney hears the truth from you, then from the BAD kids in the playground.

temp

posting on contract only
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Anyone know if that's Billy West playing the alien bartender? I re-watched the 1up show and thought that he sounded and awful lot like him.
Sort of sounds like him, but I don't think it is. I wouldn't mind if he voiced the entire game though. Maybe Cam Clarke too.

shpankey

not an idiot
just read the egm article and am pretty much floored. this is probably gonna be a serious goty contender for me.

GreekWolf

shpankey said:
just read the egm article and am pretty much floored. this is probably gonna be a serious goty contender for me.
True dat. I've always considered Bioware to be the Square of the West.

except that Baulder's Gate 2 is probably better than anything in the FF series :)

Chichikov

GreekWolf said:
True dat. I've always considered Bioware to be the Square of the West.
Really?
In what way?
imho they are pretty much as different as two companies that make games (mostly) of the same genre can be.

and on topic -
they had me at the ****ing starmap.
Even if you just get to play rhythm based mini-games on every planet, I’d still buy it.

GreekWolf

Chichikov said:
Really?
In what way?
imho they are pretty much as different as two companies that make games (mostly) of the same genre can be.
Though their respective styles are completely different, both companies are well-known, respected and revered for delivering some of the very best RPGs to the industry. Square, primarily for the FF series and Bioware with the Baulder's Gate franchise.

Chichikov said:
Really?
In what way?

and on topic -
they had me at the ****ing starmap.
Even if you just get to play rhythm based mini-games on every planet, I’d still buy it.

:lol
I'm right there with you. This game has some of the best design I've seen since the grand Designers Republic days.

Everything in Mass Effect pleases me - the fact that it is the brainchild of BioWare, the design of the characters / locations ( judging from what I have seen 'thus far, obviously ), and the apocalyptic setting ( which is ultra-cool ).

I can't wait.

Top Bottom