• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered | PS4 Pro VS PS5

Codes 208

“The game is worth a rebuy because we swapped out peter’s model. We told you guys it’s more than a 4k/60fps boost!”

jokes aside, and not to throw further diss, but this doesn’t look like that big of an improvement. Like if they made a boost mode to spiderman PS4 and added the new peter model I feel the game would look 98% identical to this remaster. (with 60fps being the only real big change. Which again could’ve been done in a boost mode)

Last edited:

Shmunter

This is the Boost mode I’d expect. I guess we can write off any such automatic improvements on ps5 then as they will encroach on selling the same game twice.

Codswallop_

Neophyte
:pie_thinking:

JmnCF6u.jpg

Only possible on PS5. I totally get why this is locked behind a $60 paywall ($80 here).

Last edited:
Only possible on PS5. I totally get why this is locked behind a $60 paywall ($80 here).
Yea we need to call out this anti consumer stuff from the game company there is no need for a remaster of this game it came out in 2018 for god sake it not even 3 years old yet and this so call remastered is barely a remastered more like little enhancement they could have just call it that next gen enchancement like other company are doing and offer it as a free upgrade for PS4 Spiderman game owner instead they are charging money for this wile other game company are not is just a bad look.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
this is my fave PS4 game but it doesn't justify the $80 price tag, was expecting more with the power fo the PS5

Hostile_18

Banned
The character model is 100% worse. It's meant to be an older more experienced Peter at the height of his powers, this new guy looks about 17.

I wonder I'd the real reason is because this is who they have decided to go with for Spiderman 2.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
“The game is worth a rebuy because we swapped out peter’s model. We told you guys it’s more than a 4k/60fps boost!”

jokes aside, and not to throw further diss, but this doesn’t look like that big of an improvement. Like if they made a boost mode to spiderman PS4 and added the new peter model I feel the game would look 98% identical to this remaster. (with 60fps being the only real big change. Which again could’ve been done in a boost mode)

How can Sony get away with giving a free upgrade to the PS5 version for everyone who bought Miles Morales, but refuse to do that for the PS4 version? Especially when the only real visual change is a swap of the face actor? When the game in 60 fps mode is indistinguisahble from the PS4 version at 30 fps?

This is a blantant money grab that no publisher should ever get away with. Just imagine a publisher charging money for a "remastered" PC game with additional 60 fps mode and raytraced reflections in puddles.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
How can Sony get away with giving a free upgrade to the PS5 version for everyone who bought Miles Morales, but refuse to do that for the PS4 version? Especially when the only real visual change is a swap of the face actor? When the game in 60 fps mode is indistinguisahble from the PS4 version at 30 fps?

This is a blantant money grab that no publisher should ever get away with. Just imagine a publisher charging money for a "remastered" PC game with additional 60 fps mode and raytraced reflections in puddles.

Not ideal but not absurd, this is akin to a pre-order bonus or a collector edition bonus more precisely. Not aware it can be bought on its own.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The character model is 100% worse. It's meant to be an older more experienced Peter at the height of his powers, this new guy looks about 17.

I wonder I'd the real reason is because this is who they have decided to go with for Spiderman 2.
Isn't it only supposed to be one year into his Spiderman "career"?

Edit: Nevermind, apparently it's 8 years into it, not sure how I completely missed that

Last edited:

Md Ray

Why are those reflections so wrong if it's raytracing? the trees are all missing the majority of their leaves in the reflection, and his fingers and toes don't even line up with the reflection lol. Look at his thumb that's on the glass on his left hand - doesn't line up. Look at his left foot - his toes/lower half of foot aren't even there in the reflection. Look at his right foot - again, no toes/lower half of foot in the reflection.

This looks suspiciously like a haphazardly photoshopped bullshot.

Md Ray

Boost mode can't do anything to a 30fps locked game. It still needs devs input i.e. a patch to unlock frame-rate.

God of War on PS4 Pro for e.g. has one and PS5's boost mode will take full advantage of that to hit 60fps without any patch.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I'll be fine with my Pro version, I really don't even notice stuff like reflections when I'm playing a game, I'd rather they spent the resources on frame rate to be honest.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is the Boost mode I’d expect. I guess we can write off any such automatic improvements on ps5 then as they will encroach on selling the same game twice.
All a boost mode is going to do is unleash the CPU and GPU on the existing code base, so best case you will get improved resolution and frame-rate (if these are uncapped).

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Boost mode can't do anything to a 30fps locked game. It still needs devs input i.e. a patch to unlock frame-rate.

God of War on PS4 Pro for e.g. has one and PS5's boost mode will take full advantage of that to hit 60fps without any patch.

Many of the grumbles about the remastered Spider-Man for PS5 would be taken away if Sony/Insomniac offered one of these two choices:
- Upgrade path to PS5-version, either free or paid
- Patch for Spider-man on PS4 that adds an unlocked frame rate so the game could run in 60 fps on PS5 in boost mode

Now we got zilch.

MrFunSocks

Banned

That doesn’t at all address my post.

Those reflections do not look good because they aren’t reflecting what is actually there. They’re reflecting much lower quality versions of it, to the point where they look completely different, or in the actual character models case, not ray traced and still bad looking.

The tweeter person appears to work for Insomniac, so it’s nothing more than PR.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

Those ground shadows flickering when Spiderman was on the crane. They could of improved the LOD of the shadows at least.
i am hoping things like that will be improved in the 30fps mode

i really dont see myself playing 60fps mode... it is literally PS4 version but in 60fps

Falc67

Except this one is 4k/60 fps options and ray tracing

I was all up for purchasing the ultimate edition, providing there was a good difference, like what we've seen in Miles Morales so far.

The only gameplay footage they provided for the remastered version doesn't have ray tracing. And that looks pretty much identical to the PS4 pro version at 4k/60. If they had patched the PS4 pro version to run at 4k/60 through BC, that could have saved them a whole lot of time and no one would have complained.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why are those reflections so wrong if it's raytracing? the trees are all missing the majority of their leaves in the reflection, and his fingers and toes don't even line up with the reflection lol. Look at his thumb that's on the glass on his left hand - doesn't line up. Look at his left foot - his toes/lower half of foot aren't even there in the reflection. Look at his right foot - again, no toes/lower half of foot in the reflection.

This looks suspiciously like a haphazardly photoshopped bullshot.

I actually explained this earlier .. it’s quite smart.. they are using lower detailed lod models for raytracing to increase performance.

evanft

Yea we need to call out this anti consumer stuff from the game company there is no need for a remaster of this game it came out in 2018 for god sake it not even 3 years old yet and this so call remastered is barely a remastered more like little enhancement they could have just call it that next gen enchancement like other company are doing and offer it as a free upgrade for PS4 Spiderman game owner instead they are charging money for this wile other game company are not is just a bad look.

LMAO. You could just not buy it, bro.

Shmunter

You guys are forgetting that the gameplay was shown in performance mode. The fidelity 4K mode might look better to justify the remaster.
They would have put their best foot forward in a trailer. Prediction: 30 FPS mode would look better, but not different enough to PS4 to promote, hence the 60gos showcase.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I actually explained this earlier .. it’s quite smart.. they are using lower detailed lod models for raytracing to increase performance.
It might be “smart” but it looks bad. Using 1/4 resolution smoke and shadows and other alpha textures in Gran Turismo 5 might have been “smart” as well, but it didn’t stop it ruining the effect.

RT reflections that literally show different models are worse than SSR in my opinion because you notice it reflecting the wrong thing more than not reflecting something you can’t see.

Seems like if you've played the game it's definitely not worth it. I'm not one of the people that thinks they should have to give it for free but I know for sure I'm not getting it unless it's dirt cheap.

Roufianos

Not being a dick but outside of the grey hue, I was genuinely struggling to notice any differences until they were pointed out.

Last edited:

Md Ray

It is man. Its funny after so much secrecy that we are starting to see the PS5 HW limitations and these are 1st party games.
You're forgetting it's still a game that was designed from the ground up for PS4. May I know what exactly is your concern that makes you say that?

Andodalf

Banned
You're forgetting it's still a game that was designed from the ground up for PS4. May I know what exactly is your concern that makes you say that?

What console it was made for shouldn't heavily impact things like the Ray Count the console can provide from Hardware acceleration

I was watching this one and the PS4 version looks better to me. Why is the lighting so different

Looks like there's less light sources, which could be a limitation of a new lighting model. On top of that, If they had to go back and re light scenes, It's very possibly many scenes were done haphazardly.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I believe it is called the Fanboy Effect, that being said though, this remaster should look much better in motion than it currently does, hoping they polish it up leading to launch.

yurinka

They are already giving a preinstalled game and the whole PS Plus Collection
And the free PS5 version of all the known 1st party cross gen, and more 3rd party crossgen games than MS.

See the following link:

Yep, As I remember Insomniac also confirmed it on Twitter: they won't give away the remaster to the owners of the original PS4 game, but the original PS4 game will run in PS5 BC.

So thanks to the PS5 BC and its boost mode, owners of the original PS4 game will be able to play it for free on PS5 with related boost mode benefits: higher/more stable framerate (as I remember the game was capped at 30fps), higher resolution because it had dynamic resolution on PS4 (now very likely will be always native 4K) and way shorter loading times than in PS4 (looking at tech specs there should be a bigger difference than the one we seen in Series X BC).

They confirmed that basically the top 100 most played games are some of that 99.9% of the thousands of PS4 games tested for BC, and Spiderman should be one of these. They also confirmed PS5 BC hast boost mode so this is what we should expect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom