• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Spider Man 2 Review Embargo lifts on October 16 at 10:00 AM EDT.

Predict Spider Man 2 Scores

• MetaCritic/OpenCritic 60 - 70

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • MetaCritic/OpenCritic 70 - 80

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • MetaCritic/OpenCritic 80 - 90

Votes: 67 47.9%
  • MetaCritic/OpenCritic 90 - 95

Votes: 61 43.6%
  • MetaCritic/OpenCritic 95 - 100

Votes: 8 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Lets Go Yes GIF by Cameo

Luipadre

Review copies already out? Pretty insane. It will end up being around the same score as the first one even tho it will be improved upon every feature of the first one. Wasnt hyped before the latest SoP, but the overview trailer did it for me

Varteras

Gold Member
I think this may finally break Insomniac past that "mid 80s" barrier they've historically found themselves in.

I'm guessing 91 Metacritic/OpenCritic.

They did that already. Rift Apart is at 88 on both MC and OC. Spider-Man hit 88 on OC. Not the remaster. The PS4 version. Now they need up in them 90's guts. They do that and we can safely call them the GOAT.

Pelta88

To me, 10/10 but I'm expecting 80-87 on Meta.

Most importantly, it doesn't need to be a 10/10. It can exist and more importantly, thrive, in its own space as a great game...

Last edited:

Little Mac

Probably around 85. Reviewers will say something under the lines of "it's more of the same but that isn't necessarily a bad thing".

Still waiting for a "slim" or "pro" PS5 model. I'll play both Spider-man games down the line.

GymWolf

Why would that be overrated? And compared to what?
Because i played and liked the first spidey (completed 2 times actually) but imo it was not even close to an 87 on a normal score scale.

The sequel seems extremely similar so i think it is gonna get a similar score or slightly superior\inferior.

If you think the game is gonna be a deserved 11\10, good for you.

And before you ask, yes i use the full scale of scores where 7 is GOOD, not trash like many gaffers think.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Because i played and liked the first spidey but imo it was not even close to an 87 on a normal score scale.

The sequel seems extremely similar so i think it is gonna get a similar score or slightly superior\inferior.

If you think the game is gonna be a deserved 11\10, good for you.
Not sure where I implied anything about an 11/10, but okay. 🤣

In other words, it doesn't do anything inherently bad, you just feel it doesn't deserve high scores. I get it. Don't agree, but get it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm gonna go with an overrated 85-89.
Yep. Remember Death Stranding was at 82. The Last Guardian 82. Ghost of Tsushima 83.

Meanwhile Spiderman 87! Ratchet 88!

These insomniac games always review well, but then are forgotten come GOTY season. Death Stranding was the overall GOTY winner in 2019 with over a 100 goty awards despite low metacritic. Ghost was runner up to TLOU2 and still won 74 goty awards that year. And it went up against TLOU2, cyberpunk ff7, hades, and animal crossing. meanwhile Ratchet goes up against the worst goty lineup in decades and manages to win just 19 awards. Spiderman was 3rd behind rdr2 and gow both of which won over around 200 awards while spiderman got 24.

GymWolf

Not sure where I implied anything about an 11/10, but okay. 🤣

In other words, it doesn't do anything inherently bad, you just feel it doesn't deserve high scores. I get it. Don't agree, but get it.
I think traversal was great fun and it has the best iteration of free flow combat, my problem is that i don't like free flow combat to begin with, it's a lazy combat system used by people who can't come out with an original one that should have died with the arkham series, hopefully wolverine is not gonna use it but i don't have much hope.

Main story was great bud sidecontent was mostly trash.

Also very easy and the idiots locked the hardest difficulty behind finishing the game once (stupid move no matter the dev or the game).

Tbh, i score a 7 to most of the games i play.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I think traversal was great and it has the best iteration of free flow combat, my problem is that i don't like free flow combat to begin with.

Main story was great bud sidecontent was mostly trash.

Also pretty easy and the idiots locked the hardest difficulty behind finishing the game once (stupid move no matter the dev or the game).

Tbh, i score a 7 to most of the games i play.
I tend to rate most games higher. Takes a lot for me to start docking serious points.

For all the crap I give Starfield, for example, I'd rate it between 8.5-9. It's buggy, has rough spots, but gets the job done, looks good 80-90% of the time, and mods will surely keep it breathing for a while!

GymWolf

I tend to rate most games higher. Takes a lot for me to start docking serious points.

For all the crap I give Starfield, for example, I'd rate it between 8.5-9. It's buggy, has rough spots, but gets the job done, looks good 80-90% of the time, and mods will surely keep it breathing for a while!
I use 2 scores.

My personal score based on how much i PERSONALLY enjoy the game, and the real public score where i analyze the flaws of a game and i take out my personal enjoymemt out of the equation.

Like, i enjoyed the first horizon like it was an 11\10 and it was my gotg, but if i do a cold analisys, it's more of a 7,5 game, 8 at the very top if you sleep with a dinobot waifu pillow.

Some people think that because they don't care about some flaws, then these flaws don't exist for anyone else, but it doesn't work like that, i can have an high tolerance for a flaw where other people can find it super annoying.

For starfield i would score barely a 6 but more like a 5,5 as personal score and maybe barely a 7 as an actual score because there are things in that game that i don't care for like spaceship building and outposts stuff but many people seems to enjoy so i have to take into account.

Last edited:
It will be between 90-95 bank on it.If you asking yourself how I know? Easy, they improved on everything not just the graphics. Game has lots of content new gameplay elements everything is way better than the first installment.The first was between 90-95 this will be the same.Also it will be fastest and most selling PlayStation game

Last edited:
Yep. Remember Death Stranding was at 82. The Last Guardian 82. Ghost of Tsushima 83.

Meanwhile Spiderman 87! Ratchet 88!

These insomniac games always review well, but then are forgotten come GOTY season. Death Stranding was the overall GOTY winner in 2019 with over a 100 goty awards despite low metacritic. Ghost was runner up to TLOU2 and still won 74 goty awards that year. And it went up against TLOU2, cyberpunk ff7, hades, and animal crossing. meanwhile Ratchet goes up against the worst goty lineup in decades and manages to win just 19 awards. Spiderman was 3rd behind rdr2 and gow both of which won over around 200 awards while spiderman got 24.

It would not surprise me if SM2 is the best game on PS5 when it releases

skit_data

Sending out review codes three weeks before embargo lifts sounds almost a bit excessive but it does give the impression of confidence, which is positive.

I'm expecting Metacritic/Opencritic scores to land somewhere between 85 and 89 when all reviews are in and accounted for.

mrmustard

Banned
I guess mid to high 80s like most high budget games. But maybe they can finally cross the magic 90 line and ascend to Olympus.

Fbh

I'm going with 90-95.
Summary will be "It's basically more of the same but it's also bigger and better than the first one in virtually every way"

Since the first one already had an 88 and critics don't really seem bothered by more of the same (look at Gow Ragnarok for empale) I'd be surprised if it scores lower than 88.

Top Bottom