• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
True talk: Garth Ennis' run on the Punisher was the first book to show me that comics could tell stories that were more compelling than just a bunch of dudes in spandex punching that shit out of each other*. It eventually lead me to some of my very favorite comics of all time like Preacher, Sandman, Scalped and Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing.

*Not that there's anything wrong with dudes in spandex punching each other either.

Same here!

Director Joe Carnahan (Narc, Smokin' Aces, The Grey, The A-Team) had this NC-17 trailer made to show what his proposed remake would be like. 1970s. New York. Fucking horrifying place. Violent. Dark. If the vibe of these shows was like this... that'd be so fucking amazing.

It'd be cool if the vibe of Daredevil was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92cVd9HalHs

While I don't doubt that this is accurate to what a studio's thought process would be in that situation, it is also why movie studios are fucking stupid. Jane was and remains the best choice to play the character, he has the right look, the right physicality, the right balance between being charming while being a complete psychopath, and he wasn't really responsible for any of what was wrong with the first film, but yet he is completely off limits for a completely separate project in a different medium with a different creative team?

Because that's how it works. People aren't going to say, "oh, a new Punisher movie. I'll give it a chance." They'll say, "oh, a sequel to that goofy movie with John Travolta? Nah."

It sucks, but that's just how people work.

Slayven

Only times Punisher was interesting
prv12905_pg1.jpg

6zc7zHq.jpg

punisher_11.jpg

Only times Punisher was interesting
prv12905_pg1.jpg

6zc7zHq.jpg

punisher_11.jpg

Franken-Castle was excellent.

Space-Punisher was okay.

Angel-Punisher was shit all around. Just terribly written.

I don't mind when they do odd or weird things, but at least put effort into making them good. I hoped Franken-Castle would have lasted longer.

But! Ennis-Frank was great. And Rucka Punisher was excellent. Snake Punisher is best Punisher.

punisher-zone-011.jpg

Plus, I'm really excited for the upcoming Edmondson series. Great art, plus great setup, and a new interpretation of Frank. I like seeing new interpretations instead of Ennis-Frank (as interesting as he is) being constantly regurgitated.

Ennis just hates superheroes.

It's really clear in his writing that he does, hahaha. Fucking abhors them.

Greg Rucka's run is worth a read, if you haven't done so. Very good stuff, and it's not 'Punisher-as-serial-killer'. Plus, the PWZ miniseries he finished with is amazing when Frank takes on The Avengers.

anaron

I wonder if AoS starts to seriously tank to a point of no return if Marvel/ABC will ship it off to Netflix.

DrSlek

PLEASE BE MATT FRACTION. I haven't read his Iron Fist run (tried to find some of it in a comic shop yesterday but turned up blank), but if Hawkeye's any indication...hng.

Take Fraction's Hawkeye series, and add a generous dose of Enter the Dragon, and a dash of detective noir. Now multiply by 7.

It was that awesome.

pdgC4TN.jpg

ReiGun

Punisher is lame. Never saw the appeal. I suppose I could read one of his runs, but I don't want to.

I do hope they intend to bring Misty Knight into one of these shows, and that she is played by an absolutely banging sister.

Punisher is lame. Never saw the appeal. I suppose I could read one of his runs, but I don't want to.

I do hope they intend to bring Misty Knight into one of these shows, and that she is played by an absolutely banging sister.

Just get this:

Ridiculous, silly, disgusting, hilarious, and exciting in all the best ways.

How ridiculous? At certain points Frank not only uses a polar bear to kill a man, but his obscenely overweigh neighbor as well.

You. You amuse the shit out of me.

btw very nice post on Punisher.

Come on, man. You have the right to not like the character but don't play that stupid game.

What game?

The answers are there written in ink

And here's where you instantly lose me. You say I can have my own opinion but then you imply that I'm 100%, ipso facto wrong.

since when does being a serial killer preclude a character from being interesting anyway? There have been plenty of movies, books and TV shows about serial killers over the years.

Yes, and our death worship culture is disgusting.

You. You amuse the shit out of me.

btw very nice post on Punisher.

What game?

And here's where you instantly lose me. You say I can have my own opinion but then you imply that I'm 100%, ipso facto wrong.

Yes, and our death worship culture is disgusting.

I dunno if you'd want to, but if you can, you should check out Gregg Rucka's run on Punisher. It's less 'serial killer' and more 'taciturn soldier/man of mystery/badass'.

Garth Ennis has written a definitive take on the character (The MAX series is finished by Jason Aaron, and has a few other writers, it's actually really long and deep), but it is an oppressive, bleak, black-hearted story. It's soul-killing. One of the darkest stories I've ever experienced. I don't think you'd enjoy it very much if you haven't already read it. It's great at it what it's trying to do, one of the best crime comics of all time, but it's very bleak.

In Rucka's run, Frank is more a mysterious force of nature and you can't really see what's making him tick. The story's ultimately not really about him, but his relationship with a fellow Marine who has suffered horrific losses of her own. Really good story. Since you're not really ever in Frank's head, you see his actions through the eyes and perspectives of other people, which makes everything a whole lot more interesting. Some people see him as a lunatic, others as a hero.

The finale with the Avengers is fantastic too. They finally try to straight up capture him, and what ensues is epic.

Try these:

TPB Vol 1

detail.jpg

TPB Vol 2

detail.jpg

TPB Vol 3

detail.jpg
[/IMG]

Punisher War Zone (finale)

detail.jpg

Plus, I've always loved this cover:

The new series starting up in 2014 will have a different vibe from this one (for one, it's more about Frank Castle AND the Punisher, which is a change from the Punisher "identity" consuming Frank Castle which we see in Ennis' work and somewhat in Rucka's).

If you're in the mood for something hilarious fun, read Remender's run and Franken-Castle.

If they ever decide to go screw it and make a stand alone Punisher movie, The Slavers arc from Ennis' run would be grand, since it's basically Taken minus the annoying kid and any moral scruples at all from Castle.

If they ever decide to go screw it and make a stand alone Punisher movie, The Slavers arc from Ennis' run would be grand, since it's basically Taken minus the annoying kid and any moral scruples at all from Castle.

Sure, but it also murders all chances of happy feelings for about a week, give or take.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo

Was it Mother Russia or Man of Stone that had the scene where Fury takes off his belt and whips that general with it? I'd murder 6 drug dealers, 8 armed robbers and 2 litterbugs to see that acted out on screen.

I know for sure it was Mother Russia where Fury offers him up all that information on convicted criminals in exchange for getting a little girl out of Russia. I think that would be a great movie, and it had a happy ending as far as punisher arcs go. Bonus points if Fury sends Ward from AoS out with him and he ends up being the one Frank leaves for dead in the snow.

Was it Mother Russia or Man of Stone that had the scene where Fury takes off his belt and whips that general with it? I'd murder 6 drug dealers, 8 armed robbers and 2 litterbugs to see that acted out on screen.

I know for sure it was Mother Russia where Fury offers him up all that information on convicted criminals in exchange for getting a little girl out of Russia. I think that would be a great movie, and it had a happy ending as far as punisher arcs go. Bonus points if Fury sends Ward from AoS out with him and he ends up being the one Frank leaves for dead in the snow.

Mother Russia.

Bonus points if Fury sends Ward from AoS out with him and he ends up being the one Frank leaves for dead in the snow

LOL.

I read here that they had originally tossed around ideas for a Captain America vs. Punisher movie. I'd love to see that.

That's awesome. Netflix has really come roaring back into relevance. I hope these are better than SHIELD (though I've admittedly stopped watching. Did it get better? I thought it was A-Team tier, at best.).

Daredevil on TV has worked so well in the past

q42PAnG.jpg

I would love a recommendation for a great run of Daredevil. I've never really gotten into him. He's a blind gymnast who can...see? and hits people with a stick? He always struck me as a lesser-tier super-hero, if he is even "super" at all.

anaron

That's awesome. Netflix has really come roaring back into relevance. I hope these are better than SHIELD (though I've admittedly stopped watching. Did it get better? I thought it was A-Team tier, at best.).

I would love a recommendation for a great run of Daredevil. I've never really gotten into him. He's a blind gymnast who can...see? and hits people with a stick? He always struck me as a lesser-tier super-hero, if he is even "super" at all.

Daredevil is probably Marvel's most consistent in quality and features some of the best runs ever. Check out Miller, Bendis and Waid's work.

Tagg9

God, I hope they hire some good writers for these shows. Couldn't make it past the first two episodes of SHIELD.

I can only imagine how good a Marvel series could be if done right.

neoanarch

I'm most excited about the format. I've always felt a mini-series was the way to go for comic adaptations. AoS has to worry about all kinds of network stuff that bogs it down. A series of 13 episode serials should give them the focus to do the characters justice.

Director Joe Carnahan (Narc, Smokin' Aces, The Grey, The A-Team) had this NC-17 trailer made to show what his proposed remake would be like. 1970s. New York. Fucking horrifying place. Violent. Dark. If the vibe of these shows was like this... that'd be so fucking amazing.

It'd be cool if the vibe of Daredevil was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92cVd9HalHs

You're a fantastic human being for this post. You get it.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
I'm most excited about the format. I've always felt a mini-series was the way to go for comic adaptations. AoS has to worry about all kinds of network stuff that bogs it down. A series of 13 episode serials should give them the focus to do the characters justice.

It really has its advantages even over the film format. They don't mention how long the Defenders mini-series itself will be but even with just the four solo shows we'll have twice as much content from the Defenders characters than we do from the Avengers ones despite a seven year head start. Jessica Jones and Iron Fist will actually be more familiar to us than Iron Man and Captain America.

karasu

It's kind of lame that they're just going to try to repeat the Avenger thing over and over again.

How can The Punisher not be caught by the cops already. It's hard to believe that you can leave a trail of bodies that immense and not be captured or killed by now. Without powers, how hasn't he been shot to death?

Aiii

So not worth it
It's kind of lame that they're just going to try to repeat the Avenger thing over and over again.

How can The Punisher not be caught by the cops already. It's hard to believe that you can leave a trail of bodies that immense and not be captured or killed by now. Without powers, how hasn't he been shot to death?

Yeah, we definitely need more realism in our superhero serials.

Blader

It really has its advantages even over the film format. They don't mention how long the Defenders mini-series itself will be but even with just the four solo shows we'll have twice as much content from the Defenders characters than we do from the Avengers ones despite a seven year head start. Jessica Jones and Iron Fist will actually be more familiar to us than Iron Man and Captain America.

The Defenders is 8 episodes.

I guess they don't mention it in this press release, but when it was originally reported that Marvel was shopping around these shows, the deal was for 60 episodes: four 13-episode shows and an 8-episode miniseries.

Wonder if they'll call the shows by the names of the heroes. Daredevil might carry some stigma thanks to the film, and "Luke Cage" (or even Power Man) ain't the catchiest name fir a TV show.

Man Without Fear mini-series by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr.

Basically a Daredevil: Year One, and easily my favorite work JR Jr. has ever done.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785134794/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Daredevil show seems like it would be exactly like Arrow in look and feel in my mind.

A Punisher TV series would be amazing as well

Slayven

It's been hinted that they capes and cops give Punisher a lot of slack because he cleans up little cockroaches. Hell he doesn't even go up against the real marvel mafia the Maggia. Piss them off and they will send someone like The Cat, or Taskmaster after him.

Wonder if they'll call the shows by the names of the heroes. Daredevil might carry some stigma thanks to the film, and "Luke Cage" (or even Power Man) ain't the catchiest name fir a TV show.

It will probably be handled just as the PR does. Daredevil and Iron Fist are those heroes' names, I don't remember the last time Jessica Jones and Luke Cage went by anything other than their real names. How long ago was "Power Man" dropped?

Slayven

It will probably be handled just as the PR does. Daredevil and Iron Fist are those heroes' names, I don't remember the last time Jessica Jones and Luke Cage went by anything other than their real names. How long ago was "Power Man" dropped?

And there is a new Power Man

Hes been captured quite a few times, hes also got himself captured on purpose a few times already too. He's had several arcs where he was in prison, as well as one where they do sentence him to death for his crimes, but it ended up being staged.

Many heroes look the other way when it comes to the Punisher, as many aren't as goody goody as others think. It's also hypocritical of many heroes who spend time on a regular basis with other killers. Rucka's run was pretty good on this as they obviously thought of that, such as how accepting everyone is of Wolverine and hes on every team when hes a well known mass killer as well. Punisher is also extremely intelligent and a master tactician.

The NYPD themselves were shown to also just accept him with many officers agreeing with his methods, so they created a bs task force to go after him which is on purpose understaffed severely and not capable of really doing anything.

Mudcrab

Ennis' Punisher MAX run is amazing.

The fascinating thing about Ennis's MAX run is that he never paints Frank in a very positive light. He's almost always the lesser of two evils usually by a very thin margin. At best Frank is a sad old man broken by war, at worst he's a more vicious monster than those he "punishes."

Frank in the Max series is man who went to war and never came back, he's just this dark void who is alien to his family and country. He fell in love with war in Vietnam and his murdered family is the easiest excuse for endless wartime. Frank is no hero. Any good that comes from his exploits is almost coincidence. Still, Frank is often a badass and the people he kills are terrible and you cheer him on, but at the end when you look back you can't help but ask: how many people did he really save? Very few. What problems did really he fix? Almost none. Doesn't matter anyway because he doesn't really care, he lives only for the punishment. Easily my favorite interpretation of the character. No apologies from Frank or Ennis.

Oh, and Rawlins is one of the greatest scumbags in comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom