• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandalorian Season 2 | DIsney+ | October 30th

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

The dude GAF worships didn't gloss over the flaws and be like "MY NOSTALGIA." Funny how so many people roasted on that soy dude but they all did the same when Luke appeared. 🤐

I do agree that too many shows at once when it needs a stronger focus is a negative but whatever. Disney likes money and NPCs wanna feel like they're 8 again when they don't enjoy life anymore.

Last edited:

Calcium

Banned
The dude GAF worships didn't gloss over the flaws and be like "MY NOSTALGIA." Funny how so many people roasted on that soy dude but they all did the same when Luke appeared. 🤐

I do agree that too many shows at once when it needs a stronger focus is a negative but whatever. Disney likes money and NPCs wanna feel like they're 8 again when they don't enjoy life anymore.

He's absolutely right with his criticism. If it weren't for the sequel trilogy I'd probably be a lot less forgiving with the show, but god damn it's nice to enjoy Star Wars again.

GreyHorace

Which soy dude if you don't mind me asking?

Anyways, that's a good review from the Drinker. I do acknowledge the flaws he brought up, yet I'm surprised at how complimentary he was about Luke Skywalker's appearance. I thought he'd tear that scene apart, but then I remembered this is the guy who did a video on comic book heroes and why they matter.

No one wants to seek Luke as a broken, bitter old man who gets beaten down just so a Mary Sue NPC can shine. And by that same token, no one wants to see the legacy of a franchise tarnished by people looking to subvert stuff or push an agenda. Looking at you Star Trek Discovery and Picard.

The Mandalorian is unapologetically classic Star Wars, and I love it for that.

GreyHorace

The dude who wept watching the TROS trailer.

Oh. You mean this guy?

I always found it funny when people get so emotional over a trailer. I mean shit, I'll admit to getting swept up in the hype when trailers for The Force Awakens dropped. But goddamn, I didn't cry over that stuff. It's just a fucking preview.

And for the record, I didn't cry at Luke's appearance in the season finale but I was grinning from ear to ear at seeing him kick ass. The goodbye scene between Mando and Grogu did make me misty eyed however.

INC

Oh. You mean this guy?

I always found it funny when people get so emotional over a trailer. I mean shit, I'll admit to getting swept up in the hype when trailers for The Force Awakens dropped. But goddamn, I didn't cry over that stuff. It's just a fucking preview.

And for the record, I didn't cry at Luke's appearance in the season finale but I was grinning from ear to ear at seeing him kick ass. The goodbye scene between Mando and Grogu did make me misty eyed however.

I cried too, at how shit it looked

GreyHorace

Yeah, I assume that's who Werewolf Jones Werewolf Jones was referring to. That's who popped into my head, anyway. Crying over the sequel trilogy is pretty fucking embarrassing, especially when it is Disney looking at the damage they did to the franchise.

I'll admit to liking The Force Awakens when it came out. But looking back at it, it's a goddamn shame that they didn't get Jon Favreau to handle the Sequel trilogy. Like I said before, he gets the feel and tone of the franchise down pat. Whereas JJ Abrams is all flash but no substance as he did with Star Trek.

dan76

I think it a pretty good review, but I'm not sure about the whole side quest thing. I certainly think the "side quest" type episodes could have done with more variety, but I think Favereau has set up the Mandalorian to be like one of those 80's shows on purpose. It's Kung Fu does Star Wars, and is unapologetic about it. The side quest is the show, people are just impatient for more plot and meaning. It's tv.

The other thing is "fan service". If you set something in the Star Wars universe, but everything looks different and all the characters are different, well what makes it Star Wars? Is fan service when something or someone is recognisable? Where's the line, what's the perfect ratio? I think the Mandalorian has got a pretty good mix of old and new but I don't really see it as fan service, or "giving the fans what they want" . It's just Star Wars.

I hope the writing tightens up in future seasons and they don't do something dumb with Grogu. like turn him into some big deal or something. Part of me thinks he should die at Luke's temple. That would be a pretty strong motivation for what's happened to Luke in those crap Disney sequels. I can't see how they can undo them, so they should go full on with it. The Rise of Skywalker was a half arsed apology for The Last Jedi and look how that turned out.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Just caught up with the rest of the season.

Enjoyed it... but what a crying shame it is that we all know what eventually happens to this universe with those awful, shit house movies. How much more exciting would it all be if we didn’t know what would eventually happen to Luke?

The stuff with Mando and Grogu is what the show is all about. I can frankly take or leave all the fan service bullshit.

Let‘s hope they’re not apart for long in season three.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
No one wants to seek Luke as a broken, bitter old man who gets beaten down just so a Mary Sue NPC can shine. And by that same token, no one wants to see the legacy of a franchise tarnished by people looking to subvert stuff or push an agenda. Looking at you Star Trek Discovery and Picard.

The Mandalorian is unapologetically classic Star Wars, and I love it for that.

Catphish

Just finished the s2 finale.

Wow. That was fucking awesome. Like, that made me feel 12 years old again. So good.

Give Favreau the next trilogy, ffs. Give him a trilogy of trilogies.

GreyHorace

Lucasfilm employees back to shitting on fans for being too excited

What else is new? Some comicbook writers at Marvel do the same thing to their fans and they're still employed (though hopefully not for long with funnybooks industry due to COVID).

Besides, that stupid prick Hidalgo has been MeToo'd already.

GreyHorace

132940628_10222303418528704_7335665546105877971_n.jpg

Trilobit

So I watched the finale yesterday. I must say, this is some of the best Star Wars in a very long time. Not every episode was top notch and I didn't care for some characters being brought into this show. But overall it was a great season.

What I really, really, hope is that the sequel trilogy is forgotten and wiped away. I really don't want that trilogy to be the end result. I'd rather want an organic story telling that leads to something fresh with a real Luke Skywalker, instead of that milk drinking cry baby.

I also hope The Mandalorian doesn't become the Jedis show. It can grow and expand, but I want to watch Mando, not Ahsoka.

Doczu

I also hope The Mandalorian doesn't become the Jedis show. It can grow and expand, but I want to watch Mando, not Ahsoka.
I think thats a given with how many new shows they announced. I too was afraid that the space wizards would take over the show, but not anymore.
Now we will have shows about space wizards, space cowboys and space police

Edit: damn typo's. Don't drink and post!

Last edited:

Jethalal

Banned
I saw the entire show recently. I must say, this is my favourite star wars related media. I saw the movies, but they were kinda meh except probably TLJ and ESB. I'll watch Clone Wars and rebels soon to fill in the gap and know more lore.

Reactions: Gp1
Was there any indication he wanted to do it?

Surface-level is always going to be more "fun", it's natural. Mandalorian is like the best, most expensive possible version of "star wars fan fic: the series".
Sorry, but that's simply not true.
Mandalorian is what Star Wars would have been without all the fuckery they did in the last 37 years instead of what everybody was expecting and hoping for in 1983.

I was there, and I remember.

I'm not gonna defend ROS, since it was a mess...
me neither

but TLJ in particular actually has a point. It's engaging with the mythos, it's got something to say. And because of that it can't just be composed of a series of vignettes which are built around dusting off the greatest hits, from the OT to the EU.
What's the point of having a point, if you are not doing it within the rules and established tropes of the universe and setting you are doing it in?
Johnson is not a bad director, but he completely disregarded what Star Wars is about, its physics and what is at its heart.
He just did his egoistic thing, shitting on everything that came before.
TLJ is not a Star Wars movie.

If you want to "let the past die" and create somethign different, then why do it for a 40 years old movie series?
Just create something new, you lazy fuck.

Mandalorian has nothing to say. I know people love it, and to your point I'd agree on a cotton candy-level it has some really enjoyable moments, or even full episodes sometimes... but overall, in terms of story and character, it's barely there.
Why do you think Star Wars needs to be Hamlet?
It never was and was super successful.

And then along come some snobs, and think they need to reinvent something that doesn't need to be reinvented.
And then wonder why they get flak for it.

There is "The Expanse" for that kind of story you are looking for. There is no need to streamline everything into the same thing.
Most people are perfectly able to enjoy both things equally.

Do you?

EruditeHobo

Sorry, but that's simply not true.
Mandalorian is what Star Wars would have been without all the fuckery they did in the last 37 years instead of what everybody was expecting and hoping for in 1983.

I was there, and I remember.

Mandalorian is a mostly empty vessel. It's fun, there are some cool moments and a good few episodes maybe. But I mean, this seems like a strong reaction to a kind of obvious statement. It's not horrible, I'm just saying I wish it had some more weight.

And I was there too, I worked at the company for years. Agree to disagree.

What's the point of having a point, if you are not doing it within the rules and established tropes of the universe and setting you are doing it in?
Johnson is not a bad director, but he completely disregarded what Star Wars is about, its physics and what is at its heart.
He just did his egoistic thing, shitting on everything that came before.
TLJ is not a Star Wars movie.

Well... that bold is objectively wrong. Pointless to address beyond that.

The point of "having a point" is engaging with the mythos and communicating something meaningful and interesting. Star Wars rules have been up for interpretation since the first film, and they've been iterated upon across the entire saga, in all forms of media, basically since the very start.

I'm always more interested in the ideas behind a story, and the best of Star Wars has never let me down in that regard. The Mandalorian is a hodge-podge of slick references. I credit them for making something popular and very pretty, that in itself is not easy to do... but upon close examination, there's not much to actually chew on. Unlike many other SW stories.

The OT very much "has a point".

If you want to "let the past die" and create somethign different, then why do it for a 40 years old movie series?
Just create something new, you lazy fuck.

He did, he created a Star Wars movie which expands the universe/characters and also is in line with the overall arc of the main character of the series. This is not "lazy".

Why do you think Star Wars needs to be Hamlet?
It never was and was super successful.

I don't think it needs to be anything. I prefer when it has something beneath the surface... because the initial movies certainly do.
The inspiration for Luke Skywalker literally predates Hamlet by centuries.

And then along come some snobs, and think they need to reinvent something that doesn't need to be reinvented.
And then wonder why they get flak for it.

They're not reinventing anything, they are continuing a story. The Last Jedi is a pretty clear continuation of the allegory/inspiration for the original trilogy.
You know who else is a gigantic story snob? George Lucas.

Mandalorian is a mostly empty vessel. It's fun,
And that's all that Star Wars ever was.
It's light weighted fun with a a lot of heart.
And I was there too, I worked at the company for years. Agree to disagree.
You just have to love it when someone comes along with the "I work in the industry" line, lowering the validity of other opinions.
Get vetted for your claim to "have worked at the company" with the mods here, or get the fuck out.

Well... that bold is objectively wrong. Pointless to address beyond that.
It doesn't even care about what made Star Wars what it is.
Physics, conventions, etc.
It just wants to tell its own story, but chose SW as its vessel to reach a broader audience.
And the hipsters fell for it.

The point of "having a point" is engaging with the mythos and communicating something meaningful and interesting. Star Wars rules have been up for interpretation since the first film, and they've been iterated upon across the entire saga, in all forms of media, basically since the very start.
Dude, I have been watching the original movies at the cinema when they released (except the first one), have played the West End games TT RPG, which was along the EU books the only content we got for many years for Star Wars until some of those PC games dropped.

Star Wars was a rather straight thing until the prequels dropped.

Where have you been then?

I'm always more interested in the ideas behind a story, and the best of Star Wars has never let me down in that regard. The Mandalorian is a hodge-podge of slick references. I credit them for making something popular and very pretty, that in itself is not easy to do... but upon close examination, there's not much to actually chew on. Unlike many other SW stories.
I disagree here.
They accomplished more with it than anybody else over the last 37 years.
And that is, that it feels like genuine Star Wars.

The OT very much "has a point".
That is? And how is it more than what Mandalorian has to tell?

He did, he created a Star Wars movie which expands the universe/characters and also is in line with the overall arc of the main character of the series. This is not "lazy".
Sorry, but it feels completely crazy to me how you can say that TLJ feel within the "overall arc of the series".
Its problems and how these things don't work within the physics of the Star Wars universe don't work have been written about many times.

I don't think it needs to be anything. I prefer when it has something beneath the surface... because the initial movies certainly do.
The inspiration for Luke Skywalker literally predates Hamlet by centuries.
So, what exactly does it have "beneath the surface"?
Alien tit milk?
Shitty jokes that are completely missing the tones of the scene they are made in?
That incredibly "deep" explanation that people are earning money off war?
Alien Horses being more important than freeing slave kids?

They're not reinventing anything, they are continuing a story. The Last Jedi is a pretty clear continuation of the allegory/inspiration for the original trilogy.
How?

You know who else is a gigantic story snob? George Lucas.
I agree. He had no idea what he had created, thus the prequels were the shit they were.

EruditeHobo

And that's all that Star Wars ever was.
It's light weighted fun with a a lot of heart.

I mean, it's that too! But the OT is about a lot more than merely an aim to provide "light fun, with heart".

You just have to love it when someone comes along with the "I work in the industry" line, lowering the validity of other opinions.
Get vetted for your claim to "have worked at the company" with the mods here, or get the fuck out.

I didn't lower anything. You said "I was there", or whatever... and I'm telling you so was I. You opened the door, sorry you doin't like my response, but the degree to which I was "there" means I sought out an entry-level job at Lucasfilm and stayed there, employed, for years. So... I was there, too.

I didn't lower the validity of anything, I don't claim to be right based on my resume. The only person who can do that is you, by offering arguments like "it's only meant to be light fun" or "you're a snob".

It doesn't even care about what made Star Wars what it is.
Physics, conventions, etc.
It just wants to tell its own story, but chose SW as its vessel to reach a broader audience.
And the hipsters fell for it.

People really interested in mythic storytelling "fell for it". Physics, the "rules", the universe itself has always, from the very beginning, changed. It's been constantly iterated upon, by the OG George himself, and by others working on the expanded stories within the universe GL created.

So, what exactly does it have "beneath the surface"?

The story of Luke Skywalker? A lot of things... suggest you start by googling Arthurian legend and Carl Jung, if you're actually interested. But there are at least a few other ways to go in this regard, I think.

Alien tit milk?
Shitty jokes that are completely missing the tones of the scene they are made in?
That incredibly "deep" explanation that people are earning money off war?
Alien Horses being more important than freeing slave kids?

You clinging to a few moments which triggered you kind of shows you don't have much substance to your outrage, honestly.

We don't need to go through this beat by beat, we can agree to disagree. I'm not calling out your opinion, even if I disagree with it, I'm just giving mine on a forum. It's no big deal. You reacting the way you did is kind of telling, since I'm not attacking you.

Happy new year.

Last edited:

sol_bad

My mum hasn't seen any of Star Wars but I made her watch episode 1 which she enjoyed. In episode 2 she noticed the Star Wars logo at the start. A week later and she was already half way through season 2.
Watched the last 4 episodes with her today and she was surprised to see Luke, she didn't care about him though. She cried when Grogu left Djinn.

Happy to see the show had an impact on her even without knowing a single thing about the universe.

Gp1

Just watched the s2 finale.

That's how you do Star Wars. It's full of fillers, it's pure fan service, but it was awesome. Let's forget about the half assed new trilogy and just pick up from this finale. Jon Favreau really understood what this was all about.
It saddens me that they used the new trilogy as guinea pig for how to handle the entire franchise.

DISNEY AND KAT REDEEMD, FIRE JJ AND NEVER LET RJ COME CLOSE TO ANYTHING STAR WARS RELATED.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just watched the s2 finale.

That's how you do Star Wars. It's full of fillers, it's pure fan service, but it was awesome. Let's forget about the half assed new trilogy and just pick up from this finale. Jon Favreau really understood what this was all about.
It saddens me that they used the new trilogy as guinea pig for how to handle the entire franchise.

DISNEY AND KAT REDEEMD, FIRE JJ AND NEVER LET RJ COME CLOSE TO ANYTHING STAR WARS RELATED.

You don't have to worry about JJ. He and Bad Robot are WB exclusive now.

Wimbledon

I just watched episode 7 and i'm blown away by Bill Burr in this entire episode just line by line gold. When he confronted the officer about operation cinder it made me realize how great a show can become with great writers and great actors.

Like this show made me like Star Wars, NOT THE MOVIES. Which is strange to me because like i don't get how they could fuck up the movies and then put out gold like this.

Finn should've been written similar to how Bill Burrs character was. But i get it this is more serious tone but Mayfield was a far more interesting character than anyone i saw in the new star wars movies.......like how does that happen? lol

It just goes to show if you have good writers and good actors you are capable of making a great show, but that shouldn't have to be said. It's sad because where we are now their agendas and quotas that for some reason people are more focused on than just having great characters and an awesome series.

Really liked first 2 episodes. When it's basically witcher side quests. The rest is just cringe to me. Maybe IDGAF about star wars cus seeing Boba and Luke and the clone wars chick did nothing for me. The fight choreography was meh. Some decent moments. The air fights we're good and the bill burr dialogue was good.

It all feels like fan fiction.

Jethalal

Banned
Mandalorian has more interesting characters than any of the Star Wars films.
Though I disagree with your statement as a whole. I really liked most of the characters. I'll watch Clone Wars and rebels for Bo Katan and Ahsoka Tano.
Really excited for the shows coming out.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So is Bo Katan/Ashlee Sackhoff coming back for S3? It doesn't look like she's getting her own show, so maybe that's where they're going with S3?

sol_bad

So is Bo Katan/Ashlee Sackhoff coming back for S3? It doesn't look like she's getting her own show, so maybe that's where they're going with S3?

That's what I'd assume. The main plot line will be about the Dark Saber. I'll be kind of annoyed if it was resolved in a single episode. But also, how do you drag it out for 8 episodes???
Hmmmmm

Dazraell

That's what I'd assume. The main plot line will be about the Dark Saber. I'll be kind of annoyed if it was resolved in a single episode. But also, how do you drag it out for 8 episodes???
Hmmmmm
They actually opened a lot of interesting storytelling opportunities for multiple episodes. Season 3 will probably not be about darksaber directly, but about uniting remaining Mandalorians in order to reclaim Mandalore. Din being a rightful owner of the darksaber at this moment is something that will create a lot of tension between him, Bo and true Mandalorians. This new world he just found himself in will probably continue challenging his identity and start pushing his story arc more into him being a leader, which I presume was their goal from the start.

Watched the whole thing this weekend in one sitting. It was incredible. :messenger_fire: Better than season 1.

But not sure where the story can go from here. I thought the whole princess sub plot was mediocre. If season 3 is just Mando in some political political rivalry that would suck.

Top Bottom