• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandalorian Season 2 | DIsney+ | October 30th

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
How can this series be so much better than the last three movies?

Outstanding job. Keep it coming!

JJ Abrams was kept far away from it.

Although Favreau did try to copy JJ Abrams' "MYSTERY BOX" bullshit with Season 1 by hiding The Child from merchandisers so there were no baby Yoda toys that Christmas. But that's still not as bad as JJ Abrams hiding so much that he let Hasbro make action figures of characters who didn't even appear in the movie. Then directing Disney to DMCA strike anyone who dared to buy an action figure of Rey with a lightsaber before the movie came out due to Hasbro's distribution being garbage and those figures arriving in stores weeks before the movie came out.

Codiox

But that's still not as bad as JJ Abrams hiding so much that he let Hasbro make action figures of characters who didn't even appear in the movie.

haha what? for real?
do you have some pics of these figures?

Sounds like some collector stuff!

GreyHorace

In other news, salty Sequel Trilogy fans pissed that Luke Skywalker is a heroic figure once again.

1-jpg.1799667

2-jpg.1799668

3-jpg.1799669

4-jpg.1799670

5-jpg.1799671

6-jpg.1799672

7-jpg.1799673

8-jpg.1799674

9-jpg.1799675

10-jpg.1799676

11-jpg.1799677

Getting triggered over a fucking Star Wars tv show of all things. These people are pathetic.

oagboghi2

So perfect and so true.

Even the response is exactly what I would expect
From 2013:

Before TFA peope wanted Disney to remake or retcon the Prequels. That didn’t happen so now the narrative has moved to the Sequels. In 5-10 years it’ll then switch to whatever the new Star Wars is then. It’s a cycle that’s been going on since the Special Editions were announced in 1996.
How is a hollywood executive maybe thinking about remaking the prequels a decade from now at all similar to what you said?

Before YouTubers discovered they could make money trashing the Sequels, they were claiming that the movies would erase the Prequels starting with TFA.

Where are the videos demanding this happen? All you offered is one guy making up fan fiction

Are there really ST fans? I have a hard time believing that.

I have met PT fans and they've been rather cool. I get that, since that's what was released when they were young. However, the ST doesn't really attempt to be kid friendly.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Moving forward I like the small stories on the outskirts. If they want to do a big movie again I would like them to move out of what we know and go to the old republic. I am curious to see the high republic stuff. But I feel like it is a vehicle for wokism in SW.

As far as wokism goes I think it just comes down to the quality of the story, action, & characters. Case in point: the finale to this show straight up had a scene in a room occupied by a hispanic dude, a black dude, an asian woman, a mixed race woman, two white women, and a white dude. Its like the most blatant of diversity checklist quotas, but it didn't feel forced or even noteworthy because the episode was actually fun and captivating to watch. Diversity doesn't make an entertainment product good as we've seen time and time again, but it certainly doesn't auto-disqualify anything. The Acolyte is supposedly a female-centric series but that ain't impacting my anticipating for it one way or the other. We'll just have to see.

GreyHorace

As far as wokism goes I think it just comes down to the quality of the story, action, & characters. Case in point: the finale to this show straight up had a scene in a room occupied by a hispanic dude, a black dude, an asian woman, a mixed race woman, two white women, and a white dude. Its like the most blatant of diversity checklist quotas, but it didn't feel forced or even noteworthy because the episode was actually fun and captivating to watch. Diversity doesn't make an entertainment product good as we've seen time and time again, but it certainly doesn't auto-disqualify anything. The Acolyte is supposedly a female-centric series but that ain't impacting my anticipating for it one way or the other. We'll just have to see.

And let's not forget that one of the women is Public Enemy Number 1 among SJWs.

If Disney was seriously looking to appease the woke crowd, they would have fired Gina Carano's ass long ago.

It's too soon to tell, but maybe Lucasfilm are getting the message that maybe fans don't want faux social justice or virtue signaling. They want great characters and good simple storytelling.

Calcium

Banned
It's too soon to tell, but maybe Lucasfilm are getting the message that maybe fans don't want faux social justice or virtue signaling. They want great characters and good simple storytelling.

They are, but there are still people like Kathleen Kennedy on the inside pushing for that shit despite the damage it does. The brand took a serious hit after TLJ, the toys stopped selling and eventually found their way to outlet stores. They felt that, just like they take notice of all The Mandolorian merch that is selling now. Appease the fans, you make money - appease twitter, your franchise burns. I think there is a slogan for that.

Kenpachii

Dam didn't expect to see Luke. But once that fighter came in i knew shit was about to get real. And honestly i couldn't think of a better ending towards the series. Luke was the only one that could take this guy in and feel satisfied.

I must say it feels kinda like the complete ending of the entire series tho. Perfect ending.

However my only one complain about the final was, the fucking white trooper are so fucking useless it was painful to watch.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Great episode. I like how clean cut the ending is. We have now ended the story with the Child and now Mando can go to more mando stuff. Tons of drama with him and Bo Katan. Madalore needs to be retaken. I'm sure there are tons of bounties out there.

Who knows where Mando is going.

2. The fight for the dark saber and learning the lore behind it.

This part actually pissed me off. Because I have watched Rebels. I know that So whats up with that?

I guess it could be that Mandalorian's questioned her first possession of the Dark Saber and this time she isn't fucking around and is going to win it in combat but I need continuity.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
So perfect and so true.

Even the response is exactly what I would expect

How is a hollywood executive maybe thinking about remaking the prequels a decade from now at all similar to what you said?

Where are the videos demanding this happen? All you offered is one guy making up fan fiction
It's easily found with a search. Back during TFA the (false) narrative was that Disney would be ignoring the Prequels going forward. Of course that never happened so now the new bullshit is that they're ignoring the sequels. In 10 years people will be pretending that they're ignoring the Taika movie or even Mando.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
finally saw the Luke scene. was not impressed. felt like a weird videogame character or a robot wearing his skin. also we know where Luke and his Jedi end up. so it's very anti climactic.

they seem to be doing the same old stuff, recycled lazy nostalgia. he was basically swapped in for a version of the same scene from Rogue One. which was a flashy but pointless scene made entirely to cater towards the very "fanboy" sensibilities that the company for some reason spends a lot of time chastizing. this stuff would be okay if the media and writers weren't endlessly complaining about fanboys. like, STFU, this is your meal ticket, you hypocrites.

so for me, it's not just that new Star Wars is soulless, a robot wearing a skin of someone i loved, having them mouth the words "please love me" over and over. it's also that the company has no coherent plan and that demonstrates a lack of care for the franchise and the customers.

that is fine for them, it prints money. i have lost all interest though. i still haven't watched the entire season of this. i skimmed through the one where Fett returns, it looks less visually interesting than a '60s Star Trek TV episode. they are just running around in a California desert for half an hour, maybe there are laser effects. tbh this realistic look is never why i got into SW in the first place, and it is not enough to carry the weak storytelling. just having people that look like characters I used to like 30 years ago running around in another desert (with a new name!) is not satisfying. i need unique worlds. i need fantastic planets. Tatooine's twin suns was famous because it was a spellbinding look, how has not a single planet matched the strangess of that? Hoth was a punishing place traversed by odd creatures like the Tauntauns and Wampa, both who we see our characters have to work with and have encounters with, because the unique aliens are a part of the worldbuilding.

where are the new aliens? new robots? how come everyone is still just talking about characters from 40 years ago? were there any new characters aside from frog lady this whole season? where are the new planets? the spider thing was a decades old unused creature from Dagoba. where is the new? i don't know, i haven't seen all the episodes, because i'm tired of things rehashing the OT, and the only things i see people talk about from this show are the memberberries. the fact that the ending was a tease for a Boba Fett show -- a Boba Fett tv spin off from the Not Boba Fett tv show -- i almost had to laugh. yes, we are redoing ROTJ again, cos we have to redo everything. what is he going to do? i guess we need to look at the OT and figure out which scenes they haven't re-created with a few tweaks. seriously...

a year ago they were saying they made a mistake that there was "too much, too fast". now they announced 11 shows, and will have, what, 4 stimultaneous Boba Fett TV shows? already this show is mediocre just coasting on nostalgia, i can't imagine they can maintain quality over multiple shows. these people aren't that talented.

they are going to have to get more SNL people besides Horatio Sanz to fill out the cast. the day Pete Davidson is on SW is the day im done for good.

Last edited:
It's been a brutal year, in a harrowing decade in so many ways

It's ultimately a franchise built on silly, charming classic sci-fi tropes. It's the pure definition of escapism. I'm 38. I work hard, I care for my family, I'm constantly tired and there's a lot to worry about in the world. A hero of my youth in fiction comes back and kicks some ass and makes a heroic gesture.

If the haters want to rip that apart, that it's lazy, or cynical or not cool because it's not some outlandish post-modern deconstruction - then let them.

But fuck them.

It was a nice send off episode

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I'll never understand why they handled things the way they did, making Han and Luke utter failures that abandoned their loved ones was infuriating.

The ST is basically pretty recent stuff. Han was around (started racing after ROTJ) and Luke was training Ben. The whole thing with Ben killing Luke's academy and Luke going into exile was only about ~5 years before TFA.

And Luke in exile was George's idea. That was his version of Episode VII, and Luke died in that version too. Basically JJ threw out George's Episode VII to remake A New Hope and spooge all over nostalgia, and TLJ was closer to George's version of VII.

The Death Star stuff in Rise of Skywalker was also from George's early Episode VII stuff, but in that one the throne room was under water and Kira had to dive to get to it.

Luke.png

Last edited:

Romulus

finally saw the Luke scene. was not impressed. felt like a weird videogame character or a robot wearing his skin. also we know where Luke and his Jedi end up. so it's very anti climactic.

they seem to be doing the same old stuff, recycled lazy nostalgia. he was basically swapped in for a version of the same scene from Rogue One. which was a flashy but pointless scene made entirely to cater towards the very "fanboy" sensibilities that the company for some reason spends a lot of time chastizing. this stuff would be okay if the media and writers weren't endlessly complaining about fanboys. like, STFU, this is your meal ticket, you hypocrites.

so for me, it's not just that new Star Wars is soulless, a robot wearing a skin of someone i loved, having them mouth the words "please love me" over and over. it's also that the company has no coherent plan and that demonstrates a lack of care for the franchise and the customers.

that is fine for them, it prints money. i have lost all interest though. i still haven't watched the entire season of this. i skimmed through the one where Fett returns, it looks less visually interesting than a '60s Star Trek TV episode. they are just running around in a California desert for half an hour, maybe there are laser effects. tbh this realistic look is never why i got into SW in the first place, and it is not enough to carry the weak storytelling. just having people that look like characters I used to like 30 years ago running around in another desert (with a new name!) is not satisfying. i need unique worlds. i need fantastic planets. Tatooine's twin suns was famous because it was a spellbinding look, how has not a single planet matched the strangess of that? Hoth was a punishing place traversed by odd creatures like the Tauntauns and Wampa, both who we see our characters have to work with and have encounters with, because the unique aliens are a part of the worldbuilding.

where are the new aliens? new robots? how come everyone is still just talking about characters from 40 years ago? were there any new characters aside from frog lady this whole season? where are the new planets? the spider thing was a decades old unused creature from Dagoba. where is the new? i don't know, i haven't seen all the episodes, because i'm tired of things rehashing the OT, and the only things i see people talk about from this show are the memberberries. the fact that the ending was a tease for a Boba Fett show -- a Boba Fett tv spin off from the Not Boba Fett tv show -- i almost had to laugh. yes, we are redoing ROTJ again, cos we have to redo everything. what is he going to do? i guess we need to look at the OT and figure out which scenes they haven't re-created with a few tweaks. seriously...

a year ago they were saying they made a mistake that there was "too much, too fast". now they announced 11 shows, and will have, what, 4 stimultaneous Boba Fett TV shows? already this show is mediocre just coasting on nostalgia, i can't imagine they can maintain quality over multiple shows. these people aren't that talented.

they are going to have to get more SNL people besides Horatio Sanz to fill out the cast. the day Pete Davidson is on SW is the day im done for good.

Totally fine with anyone not liking it, but you come off as bitter and your post is convulated mess of thoughts. Lol

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Fantastic to see Luke in his prime. Actual Luke too.

It is HILARIOUS that some people still blame JJ and not RJ for ruining Star Wars.

Am I the only one who was meh about this last episode? I guess I kind of like that the Mandalorian largely stood on its own with ancillary characters so when they brought in you know who for a cameo it sort of spoiled it for me, lol

Plus the deep fake was just bad.

Last edited:

dan76

Everyone's talking about Luke but the best scene was what happened after. It was really moving and Mando and Grogu's bond was the best thing of the entire show.
Yeah, watching it again and knowing that the cgi Luke was off allowed that goodbye to have more impact. On the first watch I was just dumbfounded as to how bad Luke looked. Pedro Pascal was great, there's the tiniest hint of a smile when Grogu touches his face, may be the first tine Mando has ever smiled as his life seems to be pretty gruelling.

To think, 14 months ago none of this existed. Crazy what they've done in that space of time.

Cocksman

I’m no expert on CGI but why can’t Disney take the idea of deep faking , develop their own screen ready version and put some money behind it. It looks much better than trying to place a built from scratch face over someone else’s body.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I have this stupid toy.
This issue happens with shows / movies frequently though. Toy companies don't get final scripts to work from and sometimes don't get final art designs.

That’s not what happened in this case. Hasbro needed a certain number of figures in each wave for a case assortment. JJ didn’t want to reveal anything about TFA so he gave them BS characters to make toys out of.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

Officially confirmed that Book of Boba Fett isn’t replacing Mando S3:

Cool. And not surprised that Robert Rodriguez is involved, given that he directed the episode where Boba finally returned in all his glory. It's pretty much going to be a western in the vein of El Mariachi/Desperado but set in the Star Wars universe.

I’m no expert on CGI but why can’t Disney take the idea of deep faking , develop their own screen ready version and put some money behind it. It looks much better than trying to place a built from scratch face over someone else’s body.

Deep fakes look just as bad often, especially when you scale up the video resolution beyond what youtube is putting out. There is also likely legal issues with deepfakes as the tech depends on using established footage and images from other sources to use it.

As for the Luke Deepfake, it's alright but also looks to be just ROTJ luke and not an aged up Luke also

GreyHorace

There is no quarantine.

CA has some restrictions in some counties, but there hasn't been an actual quarantine for a long time.

Alright. Haven't really followed Covid-19 news in the US so I wasn't sure. I know Netflix's The Witcher had to stop filming it's second season due to Covid concerns. So I was surprised they were currently filming the Boba Fett series right now.

Kenpachii

Would be a good solution to call it quits on mando to be honest. Yoda was half the series at this point.

Would be nice to see a luke + yoda to replace mandalorian with.

Last edited:

Doczu

Gold Member
This aged like milk. Today Favreau confirmed that Mando isn't taking a break and Book of Boba isn't a replacement for Mando S3.

I"m ok with that, doesn't have to be yearly. They need some good ideas to hook people now that Grogu is out of the picture.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Favreau got the MCU rolling.

That was before Disney owned Marvel and Wall Street was giving Disney a pounding for spending $4 billion on Star Wars, so I guess they felt pressure to get a "BIG NAME" director that'll make the investors happy. Thus JJ Abrams got to remake A New Hope.

Top Bottom