• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia III and Race: An in-depth discussion

Tangeroo

I'm surprised at the backlash. I didn't even know he was black until I saw an interview. He's only half black. Have people considered that the other half might be...Italian?

I'm assuming that the people with the problem don't think he's "Italian" enough.

Amir0x

Banned
complaining about race stuff?

Yes, that is a component of most of these discussions at the moment. There's plenty who are excited as well like I am, but this issue is starting to drown on reasonable discourse on the subject in certain corners and I'd like to evaluate why.

ShutterMunster

I'm worried about this game. If they're not careful they will rub a lot of people the wrong way. These are very serious topics and you can't afford to deal with them in a cartoonish or half assed way. They already sound petrified of the waters they're stepping into. I wonder how many minorities are even on their dev team.

I'm not even going to get into the mixed race protagonist thing.

Whatever, kudos to them for sorta doing a black lead in a video game. I hope they nail it, maybe other teams will start showing the brothers some love too.

Props to the OP too. You did damn good work in the first post. Brave man.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Mafia 1 was awesome, 2 not so much. 3 looks pretty cool so far, very interesting decissions.
Also, fantastic OP

Tapejara

Damn good write-up, Ami.

I don't know what else there is to add, except that personally, I really like where they're taking this series - both narratively and thematically. Another Italian-American mafia story would have been expected, but putting the focus on a half black protagonist and incorporating the civil rights issues of the time period makes it all the more interesting. This is still a game about the mafia, the criminal underworld and people doing terrible things; but Hanger 13 is trying something different than what we've come to expect and I couldn't be more excited.

I'm surprised at the backlash. I didn't even know he was black until I saw an interview. He's only half black. Have people considered that the other half might be...Italian?

Unfortunately, I'm not. It's funny, there have been many accusations of developers "shoehorning" minority characters into games. with the justification that "there weren't any black/minority people around" or "there weren't any black/minority people involved." This sort of viewpoint is informed by whitewashed media, which hasn't acknowledged any minority presence for years, to the point where it's accepted as the reality that should be perpetuated.

It 's pretty clear that the characters are perfectly appropriate to the time and place, and to the type of story being told. Still won't stop people from pulling the dreaded "SJW" line.

Amir0x

Banned
if they really want to be realistic, every time you drive down the road and pass the police they need to attempt to pull you over.

jmood88

I would have thought it was maybe a cynical marketing move after focus testers said the Italian Mafia is 'out' in popular culture right now, but reading the OP I have to be honest it sounds far more interesting than I expected, and I would be more rather than less likely to purchase the game because of it.

I do think that the term 'Mafia' implies Italian or Italian American criminal organisations in popular culture, though. I don't know anything about the word other than its usage in popular culture, I'm just saying that if I bought a game or movie with 'Mafia' in the title I'd be surprised if the main characters weren't Italians or their descendants.
That's because pretty much the only mafia shown in popular culture is the Italian version.

this isnt the same board it was 11 years ago, to be fair

I think the general reaction to the game has been widely positive, hasnt it?

I mean I get what you guys are saying but I don't see much outrage. Most people seem to think this is a cool thing

since when do youtube comments count for anything

excited to see where this game goes

But unfortunately the issue is still the same,.

A lot of gamers pull the "I can't relate" card to dismiss characters like this and Franklin, CJ. People need to understand that when a developer makes a game with a non editable character. They don't give a shit, they are trying to tell a story and if people can not "relate" to a character because of the tone of their skin they have a bigger problem which they should reflect on.

This is a game about hardened criminals, who in this hobby could really relate to it? Regardless of race.

Salsa

Yes, that is a component of most of these discussions at the moment. There's plenty who are excited as well like I am, but this issue is starting to drown on reasonable discourse on the subject in certain corners and I'd like to evaluate why.

well, I believe you, but I havent really seen it here, which is kinda cool

and believe me I laugh and shake my head as most with the "can't relate" argument to a mass murder simulator, lol

Amir0x

Banned
I also want to note another thing. The very first thing they decided to reveal about this game in the CG trailer was a man very clearly discussing the problem of feeling orphaned by the very country you come from - because of race.

When he talks about family, he talks about how he had to go to Vietnam and form bonds in blood just to feel like he had brothers. The implication is obviously that his own country never accepted him, because he's black.

I find it hard to believe they are not intending to touch the subject in any head on fashion when the first trailer is basically all about that.

Salsa

have we ever had a game with a black protagonist set in this era with kind of a funk theme that wasnt a blacksploitation parody kinda thing?

I also want to note another thing. The very first thing they decided to reveal about this game in the CG trailer was a man very clearly discussing the problem of feeling orphaned by the very country you come from - because of race.

When he talks about family, he talks about how he had to go to Vietnam and form bonds in blood just to feel like he had brothers. The implication is obviously that his own country never accepted him, because he's black.

I find it hard to believe they are not intending to touch the subject in any head on fashion when the first trailer is basically all about that.
Might even have to do with being a mixed race. Where neither community fully accepts you.

Pyrrhus

For their own sakes they'd have better thought this out pretty well. They will burned to a crisp before they know what's up if they touch a live wire.

For my part, I think it's cool. Kind of odd that they have moved to a real city instead of the fictional ones they cultivated in the first two games. My main concern is that they're going to lean too hard on cliched music and imagery about the '60s, specifically Vietnam and the counterculture, which they seemed to do in the cinematic teaser.

Salsa

For their own sakes they'd have better thought this out pretty well. They will burned to a crisp before they know what's up if they touch a live wire.

this is why im more inclined to believe the interview I posted

this is big studio bucks. they're not gonna risk that kinda thing.

it'd be great, sure, but I doubt the race part of it will be much more than a side thing of the era that is maybe alluded to or drawn comparison to some stuff in terms of social commentary; but it won't be the game's MAIN theme

kind of like how Bioshock Infinite (2k as well) dealt with racism

maybe if it was an indie game

hope im wrong tho

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Disgusting. How can Off-Topic decry police officers shooting non-white people for no good reason but then come into the Gaming section and go, "EWW! Black people!"
To be perfectly honest I had a problem with Franklin, the problem was that he was go damn one note and stereo-typically 'gangsta'

Well that was 2004.

ironcreed

Banned
This really shouldn't be a huge deal

One would think, but the reveal thread proved otherwise. Shocking, really.

All I saw with the trailer and gameplay is a refreshing change of pace set in a period of time that ironically stood for a force of change and the breaking of repressive chains. We could still stand to learn a few things from the 60's and what it all was supposed to have meant, apparently.

I didn't even know the protagonist was black when I first assumed people would do the "can't relate" thing based on the location alone. Now there's no hope they'll ever relate to this character :(

harSon

Banned
Don't forget about Stephanie St. Clair, who basically made Bumpy Johnson by handing him the keys to the empire.

Scribble

OK. Now I'm interested. This is the sort of thing I want from games. More intricate subject matter. Less GANGSTER NINJA ZOMBIES SPACE SHIP ELVES.

Speaking of GTA...
GTA V's first few hours (at least, didn't get far) seemed like a white person wrote Franklin in the game just so they could have an unlimited pass for using the n word. It's GTA, which is crude and clumsy in general, but still. Clumsy.

Salsa

There are very few games set in this era period it feels like.

im just really excited about the music aspect of this game and it seems to play a big part

it's funny cause I totally can relate that way

big part of why I loved San Andreas is cause I love 90s Hip Hop. Kinda looking at this the same way in that aspect.

Corpekata

Banned
Given the setting and what looked like a Baron Samedi bobblehead I wonder if we'll see any exploration of voodoo type stuff. Not the actual "magic" uses of it but that there were often powerful people in communities that were supposed to be witches and whatnot that were really just smart people using superstitions to their advantage.

VaLiancY

It 's pretty clear that the characters are perfectly appropriate to the time and place, and to the type of story being told. Still won't stop people from pulling the dreaded "SJW" line.

It's bound to happen in this generation. Someone is going find something to take offense about to and make a page long complaint on their tumblr. I'm just getting ready to cringe at this point.

I've never played a Mafia game(will change when I catch it on sale) but this game has me very interested in its theme, setting and subject. I really hope this game pans out for the developers because I'll be there day one.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Imagine if this forum weren't moderated though

Well, compared to now, it hardly was back then.

But you're right, the worst of youtube and news comments would show up here even now.

No, just no.

I could get into a huge long discussion on why this isn't the case but I have to step away for a few hours.

You think being mixed race didn't present problems with acceptance by both blacks and whites in 1968 in the south? Or were you making some other point?

Ryan_MSF

2015 and we're still having these discussions.

what_the.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I kept having this feeling the trailer was gonna be a switcharound and the protag was going to turn out to be the kidnapped guy.

I'm happy to have a protagonist not voiced by Troy Baker personally

I'm honestly super confused why this even needs to be a discussion. It truly didn't even occur to me that it would matter at all that the new protagonist was black. Ya'll are weird. This is 2015 and the protagonist being blacks fits perfectly with the story.

jmizzal

Has any of those people complain seen American Gangster? Yes it was a true story

And this is a great direction for the series

Top Bottom