• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Persona 3 FES & Persona 4 Golden

Femto.

**SPOILERS**

Sheesh, where to begin?

Back when I bought a Vita in 2013, also the same year I joined GAF, I had been looking for games to play after finishing Dragon's Crown. I kept reading on here how people felt towards these games and figured I'd give it a shot once I read a comment that was along the lines of "it's like Pokemon but with demons". So I picked up P4G December 2013, started on hard difficulty, got up to Kanji's dungeon, was getting rolled over by shadows, and then I set the game down because I didn't feel like grinding. Fast forward to 2016 (Yeah I know lol). I picked up P3 in August because I figured I'd start over my P4G run and play this before doing that.

Persona 3
MAN THIS GAME IS SO DEPRESSING!

The Journey

The start of the game throws at you with what looked like a suicide attempt by Yukari. I know this wasn't the first thing that the game starts with, but when I saw this I had a feeling this game was going to be dark. It's also before the game tells you what an evoker is, which I think was a cooler way to use your Persona's abilities compared how it just happens in P4 after awakening to the power. Which makes sense since in P3 these people have "potential" and it gives reason to the evokers name and utility. A darker tone than P4 for sure, but nearly everyone in this game has gone/goes through tragedy. The social links that hit me hardest was Sun and hanged man. Mind you, I only got around to finishing those two plus Moon, Empress, Devil, and Magician. This was my first Persona playthrough so I had no idea how to optimally maximize social links in a single play through (like the fortune box) until almost 50 hours in. Even the ones that I couldn't finish was just sad to hear, like the reason why your track mate is running and ends up having an injury so it seems like he can't keep his promise. I also completely missed the Tower s. link because I had no idea how much these games makes you "dig" for stuff you can miss.

Despite a few okay characters, like Junpei, Fuuka, and Ken, I really liked the main cast. I would have liked Shinjiro to have been more fleshed out since I think he was killed off too early for me to care enough. Yukari has some moments where she's quite the prick, but her connection with Tartarus made me sympathize with her. Akihiko, for being "edgy", I found really likable because the guy is a softy behind his tough bravado. Mitsuru, aka best girl, was a strong character and felt more like the leader of the group than the MC. Aigis, as soon as this character was introduced I had an Ai the movie vibe coming from her and seeing her become "human" was really something. Elizabeth, meh. Her "dates" were fun to watch.

Villains, Strega was okay. Chidori was the only interesting one, and Takaya was punk Jesus. At least that's what I referred him to. Jin? Forgettable. What made the group interesting was their inability to control their personas. The chairman's betrayal was completely out of left field, but the guy was boring. Nyx, as you progress with his s.link I quickly caught on that this character was going to have some heavy significance and him being of the death arcana had me on the edge of my seat. I liked his final form (boss), the fight was definitely fun. In fact, most of the bosses where fun.

Once you save the world and all is back to normal. Seeing as how everyone had amnesia about the whole ordeal, it fucking hurt watching Aigis "stalk" the MC as he approached school with Junpei and Yukari. I had already got watery eyed during the cutscene when she shows emotion as the MC returns from his fight with Nyx but oof that was rough. Then the rest happens and the game ends beautifully. So I thought.

The Answer

OH COME THE FUCK ON!!!

After finishing the journey I was on quite the Persona high and jumped straight into this after the final cutscene and the MC is dead? :( Despite how much I didn't like playing through this because of the ridiculous grinding and no compendium (seriously?), the answer felt like a double edged sword. It was a final farewell to the cast that you grew to care about and Aigis' completion to becoming human. I got less sad about the MC's death when you discover why and the final boss being people's "want for death" was interesting. Afterwards when Aigis wasn't waking up I was ready to have a fit if she died.

All in all, I love this game. I've never had an RPG take me for a ride like this one has and this game holds a special place in my heart due to my personal attachment to it. The year this game takes place in, 2009-2010, was one the best and worst years of my high school life. Coincidentally, I happened to have been in the same grade as the MC at the time and rocked a similar hair style lol

Persona 4

I'll get this out of the way, Chie is trash.

Seeing as how maxed s.links made an appearance during the Nyx fight in P3, I used a guide for P4 to make sure I maxed out as many as I could for my play through. That being said, the supporting cast s.link stories in P4 where less depressing and much more relatable. I also liked the P3 references made throughout the game, especially the pink alligator story and Elizabeth's relation to Margaret.

Man, I've never grown so attached to a main cast before as I did with P4. Yosuke, a clown, but a bro. Chie, obnoxiously loud and annoying, but she is a fellow broseph and I ended up liking her more in the end. Teddie, I love this guy. Despite some cringe worthy dialogue his comedic relief delivered every time. I felt like they were trying to recreate Aigis with Teddie, so the whole shadow thing didn't really have an impact for me. Yukiko, her laugh get up got annoying after a while, but she compliments Chie very well and is OP when it came to magic and healing. Kanji, best bro, how can you not like Kanji? The dude is very relatable on a personal level and I enjoyed his development. Also, his wardrobe change during the Golden ending? LOL. Rise, she was too much when it came to being on the MC's sac all the damn time, but I ended up going the lovers route with her since she was the only girl that was confident in herself. Atlus, why didn't you let me raise my hand? Naoto, most interesting female character in Persona so far and her s.link mysteries were fun. Only reason I didn't go for her lovers route was because I couldn't do Kanji wrong like that. Marie, pretty bland but had some funny scenes, and her true identity redeemed her as a character. I actually figured it out because of the special lecture the group got a Gekkouken High. I'm glad I decided to not skip the lecture as I usually do lol

The story, better than P3 and much more suspenseful. Funny thing is, I remember seeing this image on GAF years ago, but I don't remember what the thread was about and the context of the post. So going in P4 I just assumed Adachi was going to be a potential victim at some point. Ha, how wrong that was. After a while Adachi's "accidental" blabbering about the mystery had me cynical and I started to think that he might have been the killer. Then the whole Namatame thing happened and I was like never mind until the story ending choices started coming in. I didn't want to screw it up so I looked up a guide for Yosuke's dialogue options during the hospital scene. Wtf, I never would have gotten it right due to having to make five (six?) correct choices all in one go. Then when you get Namatame's side of the story, it became obvious that it was Adachi. Seeing Adachi go from the goof that he played off as into just some loser with an inferiority complex made me want to kick his ass all that much more.

Marie's dungeon and Izanami, Marie's dungeon is ass. I decided just to rush through the whole thing when I reached the second level since I was over-leveled and didn't want to deal with the SP BS. The boss fights, and music theme for the dungeon are good though. The realization that the gas attendant was the one behind the whole thing hit me like a truck during the Junes cutscene/dialogue with the group on the MC's last day. Admittely, I rushed that dungeon too, but the Izanami fight and the music was glorious.

Then there are the final cutscenes: as soon as I saw Yukiko and Teddie running after the train while crying, then the rest of the crew, I couldn't hold it and let loose a few bullets of tears. I don't ever recall a game making me tear up more than P4, most of the time it was because of Nanako. Which probably has to do with the fact that I have a little sister. Overall, I'm happy with this game's story

Persona As a Series

OST for both games = Fantastic

I've never experienced story telling the way Persona does it. I love the s.link system as it allows characters to be fleshed out and the daily living part was new and refreshing. Aesthetically, it is very stylish. The combat is okay, but fun enough to go through with it. In P4 I liked how there was more incentive to maxing s. links with party members with added skills. I don't understand why P4 restricted most of the analyzing abilities in P3 to Rise's s.link. I didn't like guessing for weaknesses before the analyze skill is fully upgraded. Since P5 is featuring teenagers again, I hope P6 uses an adult cast (college-age is fine too) to change things up a bit. Regardless, Persona is now in my top 5 series and I'm glad I gave these games a shot. I saw my first P5 trailer after finish 4 and I AM HYPED!

Femto.

Wait Persona 3 FES works on the vita?

Nope, I played it on the PS3.

I thought it was pretty obvious MC was dead at the end of P3...like, what else conclusion is there to draw?

I mean, it just ended with him "falling asleep" at the end. It seemed like it was up to interpretation until it's explained in the answer. At least that's how I experienced it lol

aadiboy

I thought it was pretty obvious MC was dead at the end of P3...like, what else conclusion is there to draw?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Chie is trash.

This is how I know you have good taste. I don't even have to read the rest of your OP to know this.

But yeah, it's pretty obvious Minato "died" at the end of Persona 3, I felt. Also if you're wanting to play an Adult Persona, do the Persona 2 series. They are VERY old-school RPG with the numerous encounters and grind, but it's (IMO) worth it if you enjoyed Persona 3 and 4's story.

Mediking

I was about to welcome you into PersonaGAF until I realized OP's name is from.... a certain somebody from Berserk.

To be honest I thought Yosuke was trash.

The guy was an annoying fuck plus I won't forgive him for being an ass to Kanji.

Also man did Persona 4 have an asspull with Nanako.

AdaWong

LMFAO the savage first line of P4.

Yukiko and Naoto >>>>>>> Chie and Rise

And Yosuke is the worst fucking character in the world. His sexist, homophobic self can go die.

mitsuru best girl

naoto best girl

the answer is dope

Minato>Yu

Persona 3>Persona 4

and persona 2 duology is the best in the series

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I feel like Chie's shit tier Golden voice actor is what makes people respond negatively towards her. Play OG P4 and you'll find she is quite the awesome character.

Aikidoka

Wait. You call Chie loud and annoying but think the homophobic, misogynist dirt-bag that is Yosuke is a cool bro?? Christ.

Femto.

To be honest I thought Yosuke was trash.

The guy was an annoying fuck plus I won't forgive him for being an ass to Kanji.

Also man did Persona 4 have an asspull with Nanako.

LMFAO the savage first line of P4.

Yukiko and Naoto >>>>>>> Chie and Rise

And Yosuke is the worst fucking character in the world. His sexist, homophobic self can go die.

Wait. You call Chie loud and annoying but think the homophobic, misogynist dirt-bag that is Yosuke is a cool bro?? Christ.

Yeah, Yosuke is an asshat and I wasn't very fond of him at first, but I ended up caring for him because of his s.link.

The homophobic stuff in particular was stupid. Also, I never said he was cool, just a "bro". He's down there with Chie to me.

pezzie

Chie is the best girl and Golden Chie voice > OG. :mad:

Glad you're enjoying the games. I loved them too, and I'm super happy I was introduced to this series in 2014 because that means I only had to wait 3 years for P5 rather than 9 like some people.

bleaker

*Flame shield on*
Persona 3 is better in every way (story wise). I'm not gonna drop that bomb without explaining, and P4 definitely has better gameplay, but P3s story was much stronger for me. P4 has a good cast, but the powerhouses in P3 are incredible. Junpei, Aigis, Yukari, Akihiko, and Mitsuru were amazing in my eyes.

P4s story has its moments, and Nanako is just fantastic, but I guessed the killer within the first two dungeons and the story was way to light to me. P3 was like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and P4 was like Scooby-Doo for most of its runtime. Both are excellent games, but I feel like P3 is closer to the series roots.

But it's whatever, because P2 is better than either of them.

*Flame shield on*
Persona 3 is better in every way (story wise). I'm not gonna drop that bomb without explaining, and P4 definitely has better gameplay, but P3s story was much stronger for me. P4 has a good cast, but the powerhouses in P3 are incredible. Junpei, Aigis, Yukari, Akihiko, and Mitsuru were amazing in my eyes.

P4s story has its moments, and Nanako is just fantastic, but I guessed the killer within the first two dungeons and the story was way to light to me. P3 was like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and P4 was like Scooby-Doo for most of its runtime. Both are excellent games, but I feel like P3 is closer to the series roots.

But it's whatever, because P2 is better than either of them.

I'd agree that Persona 3 had a better story and the cast was slightly better with P4 still having a great cast. If they made a Persona 3 Crimson that modernized some mechanics of the original and touch up the game a bit, they would definitely make me feel that P3 is way better than P4 in almost all regards. While dungeon design wasn't a strong suit in either game, P4 was definitely better in that regard along with combat. P4G made combat really easy at times though.

Not enough Marie love for my taste, but I'm happy you like the two games, friend! I extremely disagree that Persona 4 has a better story than 3 FES. I honestly think 4 is a step down in every regard, besides minor accessibility tweaks. Not that I found 4 disappointing, it's just 3 was THAT amazing and 4 is... troubled. Either way, can't wait for 5 :)

EDIT: Persona 3 FES is the perfect amount of depressing that I think every game should aim for. It's SO grimdark and gritty and edgy and I loved every second of it.

StereoVsn

what does "bro" mean
He is an ass but he is your friend who is an ass but hey will always have your back in a sticky situation. I have couple of friends like that. They certainly can be offensive but at he same time they are your friends. Plus we are talking high school. Insecure, offensive teenager is not a rare find.

Edit: and yes, from romance perspective Chie and Naoto were off limits since Yosuke and Kanji were interested there.

Edit: From perspective of a storyline itself I think P3 may have an edge but as far as characters go I felt that P4 crew and most of social links were a ton better. Although I may still be hurting from P3P and awful Ken social link for FMC.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The only trashcan in persona 4's main cast doesn't appear until golden because Marie is actually just unbearable, between her awful side missions, her annoying personality, her extremely shoehorned in scenes and her poetry stuff I just wished she wasn't required for the bonus dungeon because my god I just want to pretend she doesn't exist.

Every other character was endearing in some way or another.

Korigama

EDIT: Persona 3 FES is the perfect amount of depressing that I think every game should aim for. It's SO grimdark and gritty and edgy and I loved every second of it.
As someone who actually liked P3 and bought both the original and FES, that's much of my problem with it. I felt that it tried too hard in that regard. I far preferred P4 in respect to cast (going by vanilla P4, what little I've witnessed of Marie in a side game like P4AU alone was enough to put me off of her), setting, and narrative (could go either way on soundtrack). From what I've read of the import impressions for P5, it seems the team has learned more in respect to how to write a darker story properly, so I'm hoping that it's an improvement over how P3 beat people over the head with its approach. Otherwise, if I had to pick something that set out to be dark, most SMT games have felt more natural to me in their approach, whereas P3 comes off more as an awkward transition between its spin-off roots and attempting to become its own thing (which I felt that P4 was more successful in managing, though I do have high hopes for P5 accounting for traditional SMT elements like melee and guns for everyone, along with bringing back demon conversations).

And absolutely no game should serve as an example of what tone every game should aim for (I couldn't disagree more with such a notion).

The only trashcan in persona 4's main cast doesn't appear until golden because Marie is actually just unbearable, between her awful side missions, her annoying personality, her extremely shoehorned in scenes and her poetry stuff I just wished she wasn't required for the bonus dungeon because my god I just want to pretend she doesn't exist.

Every other character was endearing in some way or another.

Marie was definitely garbage. In fact I didn't really care for much of what was added in Golden. Winter Inaba was cool though.

bleaker

I'd agree that Persona 3 had a better story and the cast was slightly better with P4 still having a great cast. If they made a Persona 3 Crimson that modernized some mechanics of the original and touch up the game a bit, they would definitely make me feel that P3 is way better than P4 in almost all regards. While dungeon design wasn't a strong suit in either game, P4 was definitely better in that regard along with combat. P4G made combat really easy at times though.
Oh definitely, P3P was close combat wise, but the adventure aspect was kinda slashed to make room on the PSP. Dungeon design has been a weak point of the later Persona games. I'd rather have well designed dungeon versus a randomly generated one.

ajim

I came in expecting Marie hate and was surprised on the Chie hate.

Glad you enjoyed the games.

And youre right, the attachment you have to the cast is pretty much unmatched.

Edit: Marie hate is terrible. She added so much to the game and was awesome.

I came in expecting Marie hate and was surprised on the Chie hate.

Glad you enjoyed the games.

And youre right, the attachment you have to the cast is pretty much unmatched.

Edit: Marie hate is terrible. She added so much to the game and was awesome.

I don't mind the additional content that she added, but her as a character was just meh to me. Her poetry thing was alright, but she just got annoying to me and there wasn't as much to her character as other people, mostly because she was added to Golden as just another character. I just feel indifferent to her, but I understand why she was hated; there wasn't much to her character in my opinion.

Plus: avatar quote :p

Coincidentally I just started P3P two days ago. I loved P4G so much, I had to have more, even if I did have to pay triple the price.

I am still trying to get to the first block in Tartarus. Still haven't formed too many opinions on the characters yet, but Junpei is a bit annoying so far, though the rest seem cool. Mr Ikutsuki (sp?) clearly has the same voice actor as Igor, which I find funny. They use the same timing and overpronounced way of saying things.

As for P4G, I liked the Yukiko S-Link best out of all the romance paths (was a total hound dog during my second play through), though all of them are sweet in their own ways. The despondency of the girls you reject on Valentine's Day is heartbreaking though. Chie especially made me feel like an ass.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Female MC is the best. I don't get why they don't want to write in a female protagonist in any of the other games.

Not enough Marie love for my taste, but I'm happy you like the two games, friend! I extremely disagree that Persona 4 has a better story than 3 FES. I honestly think 4 is a step down in every regard, besides minor accessibility tweaks. Not that I found 4 disappointing, it's just 3 was THAT amazing and 4 is... troubled. Either way, can't wait for 5 :)

I wouldn't say P3 is "grimdark" or "edgy."

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I went with Yukari and Yukiko.

Apparently I have shitty tastes in a lot of things.

mhayes86

I feel like Chie's shit tier Golden voice actor is what makes people respond negatively towards her. Play OG P4 and you'll find she is quite the awesome character.

Quite the opposite for me. I played both, and prefer Chie's VO in Golden. She had more energy in her voice which suited her character.

FluxWaveZ

I only just started the game. Why are they shaped like guns?

They'll explain that stuff in detail later on, and some stuff regarding Evokers become plot points later on too.

Basic reason behind the form is that one's true self surfaces when faced with death, which is a major theme throughout the game.

Yosuke's homophobia is a product of the time the game was released. GAF at the time used to tolerate that sort of behaviour as a matter of course (lest we forget all the trannysurprise running gags). Society's acceptance of LGBT people changed through the course of the Obama presidency and so did perceptions of what was acceptable discourse. We often forget how fast this happened.

Heck, I myself used to make homophobic cracks when I was that age.

They'll explain that stuff in detail later on, and some stuff regarding Evokers become plot points later on too.

Basic reason behind the form is that one's true self surfaces when faced with death, which is a major theme throughout the game.
Thanks! It's nice to know it makes a bit of sense and isn't just there so 13 year olds will think it's cool.

petran79

Banned
Recently I devoted lot of time on Persona 4 (undub version). Really interesting premise, story and characters but it drags on for too long. Reached Heaven dungeon but had enough.

I think I prefer the Sakura Taisen V approach much more over this, regarding character interactions and battle system, without the need for grinding or buying weapons. Despite that Persona 4 characters are a lot better.

Top Bottom