• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for some great obscure 80s/90s movies

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Reviewers hated it. I thought it was solid. Low end budget, but decent action flick. Mick Jagger is great in it.
Freejack.jpg

deYiQRa.png

Tuff Turf, a long forgotten James Spader 80s movie. Starts as a usual 80s high school movie, gets serious and then goes off-rails at the end with some over the top beat-em up sequence (This is a positive). Fun watch and if you love 80s synth then the movie is worth checking out for the score alone.

Kagey K

Banned
I don't know that I've ever even heard of this one.

Just watched the long lost Disney classic Condorman last week. Will look for this one.

My list was already like 120 movies long its going up significantly after this thread. This might take longer than I expected. 😅

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Funny story, this is the movie that made me want to get into computer science: 1987's "Not Quite Human".

MV5BYjJhNzczZjMtMzczOS00MjMzLWE2NTAtYTAyNWM2YzkzYjc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI2OTM0NzQ@._V1_.jpg

Somehow in 1987, it wasn't a big stretch to think we could go from the Apple IIe to Commander Data without much in between.

I actually watched this last week with my grown son. Obviously I had a huge amount of nostalgia for the film, but even my son said it was entertaining and that the jokes and physical comedy held up pretty well. Never released on DVD, but there are some VHS rips on Youtube. They made a few sequels too.

MacReady13

ydUEAWJ.jpg

Just discovered this beauty recently, don't know how I missed it at the time, this was released during my prime VHS rental period and this would have been something I would have been drawn to then.
It's set during Christmas as well so it's a great time to watch it.
I won't spoil it other than to say it's a buddy cop movie with alien drug runners and a gang of yuppies in 3 piece suits called 'The White Boys'.
YES! Thought I was alone in thinking how good this film truly is!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Can I cheat and do December 1979? If so then..

220px-The_Black_Hole_%281979_film%29_poster.jpg

Disney's "The Black Hole" is a special kind of obscure failure that was a massive hit in an alternative universe.
This must be on D+, right?

The other memory holed Disney release

0AUEZ8H.jpg

Alexanders series would be PERFECT for a remake. It has all the usual stuff but some great concepts like the dead coming back through the cauldron and those guys that get stronger the more of them you kill. Been a while since I've read it but I don't think it was so Euro-centric that it couldn't survive a current casting trends.

no-escape-movie-poster.jpg

Not sure if its obscure, It did have a theatrical release, but there are some rights issues I think so its decently hard to find, I don't think its on any streaming services not even to buy digitally. But its a fun romp, good cast of characters, bad guy from Lethal Weapon 3 hamming it up.

Wow I forgot about this movie! I remember liking it.

I remember this movie as Escape from Absolom. Because that was the title of the movie out side the US.

And somehow that was the version of the film I watched. Even though I was living in the US at the time...

Kagey K

Banned
no-escape-movie-poster.jpg

Not sure if its obscure, It did have a theatrical release, but there are some rights issues I think so its decently hard to find, I don't think its on any streaming services not even to buy digitally. But its a fun romp, good cast of characters, bad guy from Lethal Weapon 3 hamming it up.

These are 2 of my favorite movies from that time, and already on the list.

Both Ray Liotta and Christopher Lambert are underrated IMO.

This must be on D+, right?

The other memory holed Disney release

0AUEZ8H.jpg

Alexanders series would be PERFECT for a remake. It has all the usual stuff but some great concepts like the dead coming back through the cauldron and those guys that get stronger the more of them you kill. Been a while since I've read it but I don't think it was so Euro-centric that it couldn't survive a current casting trends.
Black Hole and Black Cauldron are on D+ watched Black Hole with my son about a month ago, and he couldn’t get over the robot.

Last edited:
Space Camp (1986)

61xItZkGj9L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I have a said it on GAF before but man I love this movie! Amazing cast, amazing John Williams sound track. Amazing 80s style!

Whole movie is on youtube now for some reason.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Allan Quartermain and the Lost City
Action Jackson
XTRO
Romancing the Stone
Jewel of the Nile
Q the Winged Serpent
Best Defense
TANK
All of Me
The Man with Two Brains
The Golden Child
To Be or Not to Be

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
D9VQvPk.jpeg

Okay maybe it's not "great" per se... or even what one might call "good" or whatever but it was a fun rental when I was 12 years old and there aren't enough movies about two dudes in giant robots beating the shit out of each other innit?
This is the prequel to Pacific Rim, and a great big screen version of Rock em Sock em Robots.

This movie is great in all the obscure ways I meant great when suggesting this thread.

It really encompasses everything I wanted this thread to be.

Just so bad it's good and so good when it's meant to be bad.

I still can't tell if I like or hate this movie, and I've watched it so many times.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Return to Oz
Flight of Dragons
The Dark Crystal
Labyrinth
Krull

Damn the 80s just had too many great movies.

Alx

Xenq1uN.jpg

Dobermann(1997)

Like a French Tarantino movie, with Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci at their prime, Tcheky Karyo impersonating the most corrupt (and hilarious) bad cop of all times.

Top Bottom