• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Souls movie looks amazing, but it isn't real

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
and it makes me mad.

IBcHw5N.jpg

All of those seem to have been generated through an AI, and it makes me wish for an actual Dark Souls movie, specially in this late 80s to early 90s style.

What do you think? Not only of this, but AI stuff in general... Do you think it'll get to a point were AI generated art could be use as an in game asset? Some may say that AI art is soulless and that it misses something, but I think we've already gone far beyond that point.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
and it makes me mad.

All of those seem to have been generated through an AI, and it makes me wish for an actual Dark Souls movie, specially in this late 80s to early 90s style.

What do you think? Not only of this, but AI stuff in general... Do you think it'll get to a point were AI generated art could be use as an in game asset? Some may say that AI art is soulless and that it misses something, but I think we've already gone far beyond that point.

Already happening

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
AI generated assets are already here. I don’t want movies of every game released but that seems what we are now getting these days.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Already happening

Woah didn't know. That's cool, and I agree with them that that kind of "weird art" fits pretty well with the world they've created for the game.

AI generated assets are already here. I don’t want movies of every game released but that seems what we are now getting these days.
Yeah lots of! But sadly none with the style on display here. Guess that AI must've watched Conan a few times. :goog_relieved:

TintoConCasera

Kimahri

Banned
AI art is a really sad thing and it just proves all the worst nightmares about the future.

I now fully believe that Wall-E is the inevitable future. People will be jacked into AI that knows everything about you and reads you like an open book, then feeds you custom made entertainment artificially generated to suit all your needs.

Nobody needs creative people anymore, because why waste time and money on that when ypu can have algorithsm do everything for you?

Why learn a craft when you can just dream it up and get it 3d printed and painted with no skill or effort?

The worst of it all is that a lot of this 3d art looks really good. Like really good.

Aesius

AI art is a really sad thing and it just proves all the worst nightmares about the future.

I now fully believe that Wall-E is the inevitable future. People will be jacked into AI that knows everything about you and reads you like an open book, then feeds you custom made entertainment artificially generated to suit all your needs.

Nobody needs creative people anymore, because why waste time and money on that when ypu can have algorithsm do everything for you?

Why learn a craft when you can just dream it up and get it 3d printed and painted with no skill or effort?

The worst of it all is that a lot of this 3d art looks really good. Like really good.
Everything that can be done on a computer will eventually be overtaken by AI.

"Learn to code" gonna be replaced with "Learn to repair HVAC"

nkarafo

Is it just me or this AI artist thing became way too good in a very short time span? Like, this wasn't even a thing a year ago or something and now you can't tell if it's an AI or a great artist? I would assume something like this would need decades to evolve but no. It's already good enough.

Kimahri

Banned
The cream will rise to the top. At least it bypasses the Hollywood gatekeeper only feeding us what they think we want to see.
What top? There won't be a top anymore. You can just type in "dark fantasy movie with big swords and even bigger boobies" and you'll get an AI grimdark movie on demand right into your veins.

It's inevitable at this point.

It's a horrible, horrible thing, and we're all going to love it.

TintoConCasera

What top? There won't be a top anymore. You can just type in "dark fantasy movie with big swords and even bigger boobies" and you'll get an AI grimdark movie on demand right into your veins.

It's inevitable at this point.

It's a horrible, horrible thing, and we're all going to love it.
Aside from many people losing their jobs, why would it be so horrible?

Humanity has come to the point of creating a machine that's able to replicate one of the most beautiful traits of the human being, art, and I think that's quite the feat.

Kimahri

Banned
Aside from many people losing their jobs, why would it be so horrible?

Humanity has come to the point of creating a machine that's able to replicate one of the most beautiful traits of the human being, art, and I think that's quite the feat.

Well, art is important to me, always has been. The act of creating something is something I value greatly. I value skill, the time it takes to become skilled. I value the heart and emotion a lot of artists put into their works.

AI dismantles all that and makes it completely worthless. Nothing needs to mean anything anymore, it doesn't need to come from anywhere. It can just be generated like that. It's a cold, sad development.

TintoConCasera

Well, art is important to me, always has been. The act of creating something is something I value greatly. I value skill, the time it takes to become skilled. I value the heart and emotion a lot of artists put into their works.

AI dismantles all that and makes it completely worthless. Nothing needs to mean anything anymore, it doesn't need to come from anywhere. It can just be generated like that. It's a cold, sad development.
Well I bet creating those AI have taken a lot of work, time and skill to be developed. It just different means for the same end.

Kimahri

Banned
Well I bet creating those AI have taken a lot of work, time and skill to be developed. It just different means for the same end.
Different means for the same end? It completely obliterates art.

Just because something takes work, time and skill doesn't mean it should be done.

I mean, ffs, teachers are now saying schools are basically fucked. Why? Because any student can now, instead of actually do the work, just ask som AI bot for a report about some individual, and it'll deliver, according to which grade you want.

It's classic Ian Malcolm time:
jurassic park film GIF

I figured I'd be fitting to ask Chat GPT for some lyrics about how artificial intelligence is changing art, and well, here's the result:

Verse 1:
We've created machines with minds of their own
We've given them power, but do we really know
The dangers that lurk, the risks we take
When we put our faith in artificial intelligence

Chorus:
We're losing the art, we're losing the soul
We're losing the beauty that once made us whole
We're letting machines take control
The dangers of artificial intelligence, they're taking their toll

Verse 2:
We're replacing the human touch, with cold, calculated algorithms
We're losing the emotion, the passion, the heart
We're letting machines dictate the art
The dangers of artificial intelligence, tearing us apart

Chorus:

Bridge:
We've sacrificed creativity, for efficiency and speed
We've traded humanity, for technology and greed
We've let machines decide, what art should be
The dangers of artificial intelligence, we can't see

Chorus:

The computer said it, not me.

TintoConCasera

K Kimahri maybe it's time to start teaching kids other kinds of stuff at school I guess? I dunno man, I respect you opinion (gave you a lol reaction for the song) but I think you are overreacting a bit.

Think it this way: now everyone would be able to produce art of their own desire without actually needing any kind of skill. Isn't that great?

Kimahri

Banned
K Kimahri maybe it's time to start teaching kids other kinds of stuff at school I guess? I dunno man, I respect you opinion (gave you a lol reaction for the song) but I think you are overreacting a bit.

Think it this way: now everyone would be able to produce art of their own desire without actually needing any kind of skill. Isn't that great?

I get what you're saying, and a part of me thinks "yippeee, no more sketches", but no, I don't think it's great. If people want to make art, they should do what everyone else has done since the dawn to time, learn to make it, or ask someone to make it.

This... this just trivializes it. It makes it worthless, just a keystroke away. And it does it by training these AIs on actual artists, ripping off and copying work down to imitating their exact brush strokes.

TintoConCasera

I get what you're saying, and a part of me thinks "yippeee, no more sketches", but no, I don't think it's great. If people want to make art, they should do what everyone else has done since the dawn to time, learn to make it, or ask someone to make it.

This... this just trivializes it. It makes it worthless, just a keystroke away. And it does it by training these AIs on actual artists, ripping off and copying work down to imitating their exact brush strokes.
I don't think it makes it worthless, since experiencing art can give us emotions and feels no matter if it was done by an AI or an actual artist.

I get your point tho. I'd be probably really pissed if I was an artist, but those should still value their own work and skills even if now they have to compete against those AI.

And I don't think those skill will be trivialized either. Just compare a factory from 1930 with a factory from today. There are much less workers there today because most of the stuff is taken care of by robots, but those still working there are still very valuable. I think some poster refered to it on a previous post as the "top of the crop".

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
We found the high school drop out I see.
Not my case, but If someone dropped out it wouldn't be such an absurd nowadays

tumblr_n2fkunKtsV1shu02mo1_1280.jpg

Kimahri

Banned
Wow. Impressive. From art created by ai to teachers pushing children to be trans. Quite the leap.

I'm not sure dropping out was a good choice, mate.

and it makes me mad.

IBcHw5N.jpg

That looks fucking awesome. Give this to a movie director.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's semantics, but I'd argue the validity in calling something AI generated "art," in the first place. An image emulating art, sure. The same as a toy gun with Styrofoam darts emulates a rifle, but you sure as shit aren't going to enlist with one.

Art implies an emotional connection with the medium. It implies a bit of the artist is left behind in the brush strokes, or chorus, or texture. But again, things become homogenized every day, and there are still purists keeping the originals in business. Think about food. You can go 20 minutes in any direction and hit 15 places where you can do a quick five minute exchange and get hot food and not have to do any work at all, and people still opt to create and consume home cooking. Why? Because the things that truly connect us as people are the ideas and emotions shared THROUGH the medium.

Yerd

Definetly gonna give it a watch. Can you believe I watched Conan for the very first time earlier this year? And it went to be one of my, if not my favorite adventure movie.

The sequel tho... holy shit. :goog_relieved:
I remember that movie from it's early days. One of the best movies ever. The sound track it easily matches the best movie soundtracks out there, too. I love the sound track.

For me, I read the original Conan books by Robert E Howard within the last decade. If that first Conan movie was more book accurate, it would have been even better.

Knightime_X

Creativity all starts with the mind.
AI simply unlocks potential for everyone, not just the physically talented and able.
Ultimately, no one really cares where the art comes from as long as it looks good \ interesting or whatever they're into.

Lately, I find myself more interested in AI stuff.
Sad? Maybe, but I don't care because I'm enjoying it like the rest.

Is it just me or this AI artist thing became way too good in a very short time span? Like, this wasn't even a thing a year ago or something and now you can't tell if it's an AI or a great artist? I would assume something like this would need decades to evolve but no. It's already good enough.
It's wild how far things have come. It's a bit like VR, in that it was a bad novelty in the past, and now it's far from a joke. It's a viable future. Imagine describing the movie you want made and it rendering out with you just having to make a few edits.

TrebleShot

People complain that it’s killing artistry as if Hollywood didn’t do that about a decade ago , there hasn’t been a good big budget movie in about 3 to 5 years. Everything out is either a sequel that pales in comparison to the original or just has some secret inner meaning that ruins the focus of the film.

This is amazing and in terms of killing jobs why is everyone so pissy about this but not about automated till systems in supermarkets?

Top Bottom