• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else super nostalgic for the late 80s/early 90s Mario and LoZ?

I dunno what it is, but there's something super nostalgic about that era. It was slightly before my time, I actually grew up with SM64 and OoT/MM, and while those are nostalgic in their own way, I find the late 80s/early 90s era to be more charming.

I love how the creatures in Mario at around this time were basically just dinosaurs, and how the setting of LoZ felt very Jim Henson dark fantasy-esque. It's the same type of nostalgia I feel for the old, original TMNT movie. I really wish Nintendo would do a modern spinoff for both in those styles.

Codes 208

i mean arguably if they went back to the old NES zelda games (specifically 1) then you’s actually just be getting botw again minus the sheikah tech and added proper dungeons since the original was open world too technically.

A modern adaptation of ALttP in the style of the traditional 3D games would be amazing though

i mean arguably if they went back to the old NES zelda games (specifically 1) then you’s actually just be getting botw again minus the sheikah tech and added proper dungeons since the original was open world too technically.

A modern adaptation of ALttP in the style of the traditional 3D games would be amazing though
I'd freaking love a modern adaptation of ALttP with the artstyle and character designs from that time period. It doesn't need to be as open-world as BotW or Totk, it can be smaller in scale, but modern graphics with that retro aesthetic would be awesome.

Same with Mario, a modern adaptation of the older sidescrollers with that 80s/90s aesthetic.

Danknugz

Love the 80s and 90s Nintendo. In fact, I love almost everything about 90s gaming. PS1, Saturn and N64 were a force to be reckoned with. So many great and genre defining games were created during this era. It was like a new genre was born every week and developers constantly pushed the envelope.
same but for me I also add the arcade machines. mame for me is probably my most respected video game software.

cireza

I am nostalgic for the 90s in their entirety. But don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I don't fully enjoy current times to the fullest.

El Muerto

Absolutely. I owned all the games, Link to the Past 2 and SMB3 were my favorites on NES. I used to watch the cartoons religiously when i was a kid, currently have both the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and TLOZ sets on dvd and some on VHS. Used to by Mario and Zelda comic books when i was a kid too. But Nintendo kinda lost me when the N64 came out. Wasnt a fan after Majora's mask and SM64, dont really care much for them now.

amigastar

I am, i love the old Zelda and Mario games.
I'm planning to make a playthrough through Zelda The Minish Cap. I remember it fondly.

Reactions: Isa
Absolutely. I owned all the games, Link to the Past 2 and SMB3 were my favorites on NES. I used to watch the cartoons religiously when i was a kid, currently have both the Super Mario Bros. Super Show and TLOZ sets on dvd and some on VHS. Used to by Mario and Zelda comic books when i was a kid too. But Nintendo kinda lost me when the N64 came out. Wasnt a fan after Majora's mask and SM64, dont really care much for them now.
I started watching the old Mario and LoZ cartoon shows, which is what inspired me to make the thread. As cheesy as they are, the nostalgia/atmosphere/aesthetic makes them so enjoyable to watch.

Shut0wen

The fact that they seemed to have abandoned traditional zeldas is a shame.
I wouldnt be surprised if they go back to it in the next 5 years, i can definitely see them making a smaller zelda project when the main entry is in development

daffyduck

Can’t imagine there to be many Boomer Zelda fans, other than those employed by Nintendo in the ’80s and ‘90s.

Ozzie666

Zelda a Link to the Past transends time and space, it will forever be a master piece in game design. Suitable for any generation. I'm super nostalgic for the 16bit era of 2D pixel arts games in general. The NES is a bit more difficult to go back too, but for anyone who lived through the 80's. Everything gaming was reffered to as Nintendo. The mayhem around Super Mario 3 was just insane, which was also a great game.

It's really amazing to see Nintendo's evolution from early NES to late SNES, let's not discuss Mario 2 or Zelda 2 (I think it was).

Nok Su Kow

Yeah totally, more to that point I have a huge fondness for the promo art they did for Mario and Zelda from that era

1*U4KEQX6KyOaBXNv8Rg4FwQ.jpeg

51060472568_e3fd20d353_c.jpg

NikuNashi

Add proper varied bosses to that and I am there. Day 1.

Schmendrick

Nostalgia is just self inflicted falsified memory. You're not missing the old comparatively primitive and restrictive games, u miss being a child.

Last edited:
Nostalgia is just self inflicted falsified memory. You're not missing the old comparatively primitive and restrictive games, u miss being a child.
Maybe being primitive and restrictive is part of the draw. Now it seems every other game is a 50 hour bloatfest with tons of gameplay options to learn. Better visuals and performance now are nice but I miss when games were simple, linear, and got to the point.

Schmendrick

Maybe being primitive and restrictive is part of the draw. Now it seems every other game is a 50 hour bloatfest with tons of gameplay options to learn. Better visuals and performance now are nice but I miss when games were simple, linear, and got to the point.
There are tons and tons of games of that category out there, the tech has just evolved to the point that game designers actually have a choice.
If you decide to overlook these... Well that's on you.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Great games for the era, but compared to now they would be considered $10-15 pixel retro indie games made by no-name developer X.

These kinds of games should take a fraction of the time and money to make compared to AAA budget games, so you'd think Nintendo, Sony and MS would have some studios cranking out these games even if the revenue and profits arent sky high. It's probably why a good portion of gamers stay on PC because you get the most of those kids of games there to go along with all the higher budget PC games.

But the console makers probably think it's a waste of time and it looks bad if a console promotes first party retro kinds of games.

Why the hate, child?
No, but seriously why didn't you like SM64 andOoT?
I don't think the jump from 2D to 3D worked. Believe me, I've tried so many times during years to like them but I just don't. Very boring games, ugly as sin, mediocre and unmemorable music.

I think the 2D games on the SNES (and NES) were timeless and beautiful and then they transitioned to primitive low-polygon 3D.. Just no. To me it was a downgrade in every possible way. They lost all the Mario/Zelda feeling because the concept was so vastly different.

Especially Zelda, suddenly the game felt too Japanese to me as well. When the N64 was released I quit console gaming for quite a few years, it just wasn't the same anymore. Worst console ever.

I know I'm pretty much alone with these opinions but I really thought the games sucked when they were released and have aged like sour milk. Gross.

I do like some more modern 3D iterations of Mario and Zelda but it's never been even close to the same greatness as the pre-1995 2D games for me.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Me.

I've accepted that the series has moved on and we are never going to get this classic concepts, so I'm pretty much done with both IP.
It all went down hill... with Skyward Sword. The irony.

^ This.

I believe once Wii came in, they pretty much fucking killed those IP to seek mediocrity. It was like 1 by 1 those IP got nerfed to death and now seem to be only those IP by name alone.

Quantum253

I was saying the other day, I wanted a re master of the NES Dragon Warrior. My friend said they were making Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake. It looks pretty cool. I'd like to see the old Zeldas made in similar fashion or bring the handheld versions to console in similar remakes

Last edited:
Zelda a Link to the Past transends time and space, it will forever be a master piece in game design. Suitable for any generation. I'm super nostalgic for the 16bit era of 2D pixel arts games in general. The NES is a bit more difficult to go back too, but for anyone who lived through the 80's. Everything gaming was reffered to as Nintendo. The mayhem around Super Mario 3 was just insane, which was also a great game.

It's really amazing to see Nintendo's evolution from early NES to late SNES, let's not discuss Mario 2 or Zelda 2 (I think it was).
You. Take. That. Back.

Paltheos

Not particularly.
I've played enough games recently that have iterated on the popular genres of that period that I've come to appreciate the new stuff more (for the most part).

Emedan

Yeah but I'm an absolute sucker for nostalgia so. Many Nintendo games of the era still holds up though, I play and finish them through out the year, playing Super Mario World right now.

I was saying the other day, I wanted a re master of the NES Dragon Warrior. My friend said they were making Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake. It looks pretty cool. I'd like to see the old Zeldas made in similar fashion or bring the handheld versions to console in similar remakes

That looks really cool, I'll have to check that out. I think that would be great for the older Zelda games, or something like those "Let's Go" Pokemon games. If they did it in the style of the latter, I'd love it if they made all the character models in the style of the 90s designs: https://zelda.fandom.com/wiki/Gallery:A_Link_to_the_Past

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm not nostalgic for the old school Mario games. Wonder really scratched my itch for that. I do miss old school Zelda games. The Legend of Zelda on NES was my favorite one, followed by A Link to the Past on SNES. I haven't enjoyed a single 3D Zelda.

Last edited:
Top Bottom