• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China's game art industry reportedly decimated by growing AI use

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At some point AI art might be turn key. Instead browsing overpriced shitty art at stores, all you do is create what you want with AI , pick the one you think is good to go, and go to a print shop (or online shop) and they will frame it for you.

This will cut out the BS of all us at some point browsing shops for pics where 99% of the it is junk.

We are approaching the Sonny horizon.

will smith art GIF

amc

wait until the world learns about AutoGPT and level 5 and 6.

There will be no work, the only way to stop the global economy collapsing is UBI.
It's a done deal. People need to realise we're in for big, big changes over the next few years. Look around, see the acceleration of, well, everything. AI is going to automate so much, it has been in the pipe for ages and high ups and bureaucrats are furiously writing the new charter for the world's change.

AI will change a fucking whole lot more than just jobs in gaming. UBI, love it or hate it, it's coming. Or a lot starve/riot/kill.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Until we see poor results from games made this way I won’t complain. Sounds like a humongous efficiency gain to me.

Technology replacing jobs is nothing new.

Raonak

Banned
As a solo indie developer, AI has been amazing. It's making it easier and easier to make (anything) than ever before.

Civilization's goal has always been to make things more efficient, produce more with less work.
It's the natural evolution of human civilisation.

The good thing is humanity is extremely good at adapting to new technology. So, don't worry, we'll figure it out.

Last edited:

amc

We won't be seeing robots that match a human's manoeuvrability for a long time, thankfully. Plenty of jobs for manual labour, skilled or otherwise for many a year, be a tight squeeze for places, probably. Just anything to do with computing, design, data input, writing etc, etc, etc is what we have to worry about with AI. Those type of jobs will be decimated by 2030. Still room for a good few auteurs, geniuses and mistake polishers in those fields, mind.

Last edited:

Paltheos

As long as this AI stuff can lead to good art and games, I'm all for it. No different than any other industry.

Think of it like ATMs and self check out kiosks at stores. I dont know when they first popped up, but at the beginning it was pretty weird for everyone (employees and users). But give it time and people accept it as long as it's good stuff. And they are so people support it. Why would I stand in a giant line with all the grannies doing stuff manually with staff when I can zoom past them using an empty self check out counter? I'm zooming.

If AI art turns out to be shit, then gamers will hate it and critics will dump on them in reviews. If it's good, hey three cheers for advances in tech.

The concern - and disclaimer as I don't know how legitimate it is - is that AI will replace jobs that are meaningful and allow for unique expression (on top of replacing junior positions for professionals that allow them to sharpen their teeth for senior roles, but that's outside the scope of this discussion). The jobs you described are by their nature tedious and meaningless as far as customers are concerned and don't offer any opportunities for workers to pick up skills that can't be just as easily acquired in other roles (interaction with various stakeholders, ... learning and operating proprietary systems expediently in a work setting?). Artists can create emergent work that's not so easily constrained by fundamentally derivative instructions given to an AI-generator. ... of course, the flip side is that most art probably isn't emergent and AI-produced art on average could maybe exceed human creations, so.. it's an interesting point for discussion.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
We won't be seeing robots that match a human's manoeuvrability for a long time, thankfully. Plenty of jobs for manual labour, skilled or otherwise for many a year, be a tight squeeze for places, probably. Just anything to do with computing, design, data input, writing etc, etc, etc is what we have to worry about with AI. Those type of jobs will be decimated by 2030. Still room for a good few auteurs, geniuses and mistake polishers in those fields, mind.
If anything you'll only have qualified people(instead of filling positions just to fill them) in the field using A.I. support. So instead of paying 15 people you only need 2. Nice way of cutting costs from a business perspective.

Learning a trade, manual labor, growing food for human consumption and many more are always in need. People might have to actually perform tasks that require them to do actual work.

SoraNoKuni

People here claiming to ride the wave, embrace it, and all that stuff.

Nuh, it's easy to say that when your proficiency is not getting decimated by ai, yet.

This will only accelerate a world based on UBI, capitalism and the system will have to change and adapt else this will be the biggest depression the world has faced and I am not dooming or anything, Goldman Sachs has already published a research about million of jobs at danger because of ai.

I love the tech and want to see it getting a lot better, but we have to make sure people can actually live.

I have a quick question. What job isn’t going to be replaced by AI? I need to be ahead of the curve here.

Software development shouldn’t be replaced right away, right?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I work in a 911 center that dispatches for two counties and dozens of agencies from fire to probation. I wonder how long until even my job is phased out. At least, out of all call taking, my job should last the longest. This shit is crazy.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The smart thing to do right now is to try and find a way to leverage AI to your advantage so that you could use it to enhance your work. Fighting against it is futile because it's gonna grow one way or another.

Question, what job isn’t going to be replaced by AI? I need to be ahead of the curve here.

Software development shouldn’t be replaced right away, right?

It's only a matter of time. Microsoft has a lot of business tools that allow for extreme low code development. We just had a demo where a app was written by their AI by providing simple human instructions. Something that would have taken Developers weeks to write suddenly right in front of our eyes within a couple of minutes.

Scary but exciting. I'm looking forward to the day when game development no longer takes 5 to 7 years. Imagine Elder Scrolls Hammerfell being released in 2024. A man can dream.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Outlaw its use then. It’s built off of mass analysis of copyrighted material.
AFAIK even Amazon and other big techs are limiting the use of AI or just prohibiting it because the fear of confronting litigations due to copyright, it's a very tricky thing to use

To be fair, art asset generation had been a huge moneysink in gaming for years now. The ability for AI to generate art assets had been a goal for a while because it is one of the reasons games take so long to make these days. There will always be room for some custom art because you need something you can have IP for, but background stuff and nameless NPCs can be AI generated if they are only used for minor things.

Madflavor

I’m not gonna lie, I’m terrified over what has been unleashed upon the human race. This is just the beginning, imagine what it’s going to look like in 10 years. I am staggered by the lack of responsibility that was displayed by the idiots who developed this technology.

I’m not gonna lie, I’m terrified over what has been unleashed upon the human race. This is just the beginning, imagine what it’s going to look like in 10 years. I am staggered by the lack of responsibility that was displayed by the idiots who developed this technology.
What responsibility? This what inevitable either way. At this point we may as well invest into these companies and get that cash.

It's only a matter of time. Microsoft has a lot of business tools that allow for extreme low code development. We just had a demo where a app was written by their AI by providing simple human instructions. Something that would have taken Developers weeks to write suddenly right in front of our eyes within a couple of minutes.

Scary but exciting. I'm looking forward to the day when game development no longer takes 5 to 7 years. Imagine Elder Scrolls Hammerfell being released in 2024. A man can dream.
If it is low software code development you can just use templates that already exists to create mobile apps.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

It’s going to get to a point where it’s like the holo deck in Star Trek (minus the holograms) where you tell the computer what you want and it will try and make a game you might want to play. And I for one will welcome that, because my AI created games will be nothing but games with character with huge bouncing breasts. The potential to dial in exactly what you want from a game and get exact that would be amazing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The concern - and disclaimer as I don't know how legitimate it is - is that AI will replace jobs that are meaningful and allow for unique expression (on top of replacing junior positions for professionals that allow them to sharpen their teeth for senior roles, but that's outside the scope of this discussion). The jobs you described are by their nature tedious and meaningless as far as customers are concerned and don't offer any opportunities for workers to pick up skills that can't be just as easily acquired in other roles (interaction with various stakeholders, ... learning and operating proprietary systems expediently in a work setting?). Artists can create emergent work that's not so easily constrained by fundamentally derivative instructions given to an AI-generator. ... of course, the flip side is that most art probably isn't emergent and AI-produced art on average could maybe exceed human creations, so.. it's an interesting point for discussion.
Ya fair point.

But AI taking over the world with people freaking out is overblown.

What happened to all the AI-driven trucks that were supposed to put truckers out of business? I dont know about you guys, but every small truck or 18-wheeler I've seen where I take a glance at the cab, there's a human driving it. I have never seen a driverless truck ever.

theclaw135

Banned
Until the machines are self aware and begin telling us they'll be back, we have nothing to worry about. Humans can create eccentric and outlandish art that defies any pattern in a computer database.

ScHlAuChi

Is there a free to use NSFW AI generator?

Asking for a friend.
Well tell your "friend" to install Stable Diffusion then!
There is AI models for pretty much everything, but you need a graphics card with ALOT of VRam.
To find models just have a look here: https://huggingface.co/ - wouldnt surprise me if there was NSFW ones hosted there too.

NikuNashi

The irony. China has been taking everyones copyrights for decades and profitting off their work without putting in the dev time.

Meh, human civilization evolves and adapts. This woe is me hyperbole about AI ruining society is exaggerated.

A few examples of woe is me in history with concerns about technology:

Major complaints from horse breeders and carriage makers when automobiles started dominating society.
Major complaints from the railway industry and ship business about airplanes putting them out of business.
Major complaints from brick and mortar stores about internet commerce putting them out of business.

While it's true that with the emergence of better and more efficient technology that some of these industries were not as strong and dominant as before, these emergent technologies also opened up new possibilities and new industries. Again, human civilization evolves and adapts.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Meh, human civilization evolves and adapts. This woe is me hyperbole about AI ruining society is exaggerated.

A few examples of woe is me in history with concerns about technology:

Major complaints from horse breeders and carriage makers when automobiles started dominating society.
Major complaints from the railway industry and ship business about airplanes putting them out of business.
Major complaints from brick and mortar stores about internet commerce putting them out of business.

While it's true that with the emergence of better and more efficient technology that some of these industries were not as strong and dominant as before, these emergent technologies also opened up new possibilities and new industries. Again, human civilization evolves and adapts.
You dont even have to go that far.

Look at the hyperbole about consoles focusing on digital files filling giant HDD. BIG uproar. Discs rule, digital sucks.

Fast forward to 2023 and console gaming is like 75% digital. And I think that's with Nintendo systems having historically lower digital rates than PS and Xbox. So that means PS/Xbox are probably 80% or more. And a lot gamers support it so much they even buy external storage devices to hold more games.

So it turns out the biggest benefit to digital games (not having to get off your ass to change a disc) outweighed all these big time advantages of discs:

- Cheaper price
- Sell back games
- Trade, lend, borrow
- "I own the game and can play it any time without worrying about the game maker shutting off servers"
- Collect and display on shelf

Last edited:

SHA

There's no need to be afraid , jobs will just change according to ai , absolute jobs exclusion doesn't exist , don't believe in such thing.

Last edited:

Dane

I've been hearing this since last month or so, not surprised when weeks after the AI generated craze people noticed one art for a chinese gacha, Alchemy Stars I think, had two different versions of the same art (one for the game, another in the artist twitter/weibo) that had some fixes on the feet, leaving the impression that they were already using AI and only hiring people to fix mistakes.

The harsh reality is that artists are mostly on hate-hate relationship with clients, the latter doesn't want to pay what's worth and the former ends up accepting because its either accepting it or starving.

As a solo indie developer, AI has been amazing. It's making it easier and easier to make (anything) than ever before.

Civilization's goal has always been to make things more efficient, produce more with less work.
It's the natural evolution of human civilisation.

The good thing is humanity is extremely good at adapting to new technology. So, don't worry, we'll figure it out.
Well I’m glad someone still sees a bright future for us. We need more positive takes, like this, online. 👍🏻

L*][*N*K

Banned
This is going to happen to all of us, I work in Finance and do you think the company I work for will continue to keep me employed a year from now when they find out that they can pay 20$ a month for an AI program that will make much neater Excel Sheets? At this point all I think about is a way out.

The smart thing to do right now is to try and find a way to leverage AI to your advantage so that you could use it to enhance your work. Fighting against it is futile because it's gonna grow one way or another.
Yeah, this is probably what dictators, terrorists and other corrupt leaders are thinking. I'm expecting a new cold war because of the potential harmful uses of AI between countries etc.

Top Bottom