• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Souls movie looks amazing, but it isn't real

BabyYoda

Banned
I feel torn about all this.

On the one hand as a sci-fi nut, it gets me very excited about how empowering this could be for the average Joe on the street and also what it could mean for entertainment and art in general. It could cut out the middle men, the menial tasks needed in all of these fields. It puts me a step closer to my dream of having my own Holodeck from tng (or perhaps a less nightmarish version of the ancient tech in "The Forbidden Planet). It's pure creativity.

That I could input very specific data (not that Data...) into said AI program and it produce something potentially amazing is the stuff that dreams are made of! Also, there could be a massive amount of variance in how much a human injects into said "dream". From, make me a "unicorn Robocop" game and leaving the AI to do the rest. Or adding novels and galleries worth of content into the initial request and then also being able to fine tune the finished result, in the same way a film producer would edit his films, that's the part that makes or breaks a great film btw, or to stick to videogames, the last 10% or so of polish is the hardest and most important part of game development arguably.

Not to mention, the AI is drawing from the internets collection of human creativity when it "creates" something for you, so the human element is never truly lost.

On the other hand, we all know what large corporations will do with this tech and how they will use it to manipulate us to spend more money (and more sinister agendas), whilst doing the least amount of work and paying the least amount of staff. Everything cynical and wrong about Hollywood, the main stream music industry and the AAA development will likely get even worse. But what it could mean for everyone else, well, yes we might lose certain skillsets and artisans of a type, but hasn't that been mostly true of art throughout human history? It's sad in a way, but there will always be new ways to express oneself (like the way we all are online, in a forum, I'm sure that upset people that like old fashioned letter sending etc...) but what we might gain, could be revolutionary.

With this, one person could make the next great MMO, just by inputting the right ingredients into an AI. Who cares if it's the AI that physically created said super tasty cake, when it was a human that told it what to bake and iterated until it got the result it wanted? I personally managed to get some epic looking sci-fi pictures by asking an AI to put together things that haven't been done before and multiple attempts later, I got something that wouldn't look out of place on any sci-fi fans walls, say what you want, but that's progress.

Even if it does stink, creativity that only has human involvement might itself have a sort of renaissance in the future, something purely human will become even more valuable and the same for the skillsets needed to make it.

Man, what a rant, but this gets my juices flowing...

This whole post was created by an AI.

Not really...

Last edited:

SaintALia

That's some generic ass medieval art, ngl. Looks appropriately dark and grimey, but the art design and style for Souls games can be quite amazing and beautiful. This seems neat tho, I guess...

Last edited:
Top Bottom