• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for some great obscure 80s/90s movies

Kagey K

Banned
Sure everyone knows the big ones like Top Gun, Rocky, Goonies, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, but what are some of the great ones nobody seems to remember?

I'm talking stuff like Cherry 2000, Moving, Critical Condition, Funny Farm, Disorderlies, Dream Team and even Ishtar.

Stuff from not great actors (or great actors whose roles were forgotten)

There are so many of these forgotten movies, that once seemed big, but never stood the test of time.

We are currently doing a big 80s/90s run-through and don't want to miss something I forgot about.

GeekyDad

71qTiYQGQWL._SY445_.jpg

AJUMP23

Explorers, it stars a young River Phoenix and I have always loved it.

The Last Starfighter is a brilliant film.

I watched After Hours this week and this is a type of movie they don't make anymore. It was good though.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ydUEAWJ.jpg

Just discovered this beauty recently, don't know how I missed it at the time, this was released during my prime VHS rental period and this would have been something I would have been drawn to then.
It's set during Christmas as well so it's a great time to watch it.
I won't spoil it other than to say it's a buddy cop movie with alien drug runners and a gang of yuppies in 3 piece suits called 'The White Boys'.

jason10mm

Gold Member
ydUEAWJ.jpg

Just discovered this beauty recently, don't know how I missed it at the time, this was released during my prime VHS rental period and this would have been something I would have been drawn to then.
I won't spoil it other than to say it's a buddy cop movie with alien drug runners and a gang of yuppies in 3 piece suits called 'The White Boys'.
Fuck, was just gonna post this!

Note, in the US at least this was called "I come in peace" in the theaters.

My fav JCVD film

AAW5WBd.jpg

It pairs well with this little gem

jzIEpV4.jpg

and for a triple feature
D0AXnTL.jpg

Winter John

Gold Member
Re-Animator. It's a real fun horror movie. Lot of comedy. Good special effects.

King Of New York. This was one of my favorite films for a long time. Christopher Walken is a mob boss who gets out of prison and tries to take over the city. It's one of his best roles and the soundtrack is great.

Mad Dog & Glory. I don't know how obscure it is considering DeNiro, Bill Murray and Uma Thurman star in it, but I never see anyone mention it. Anyways DeNiro is a cop who gets involved with a gangster's girlfriend. It's definitely one of DeNiro's better non-Scorsese movies. He puts in a very low key performance which you wouldn't expect. Murray's mob guy is great too.

Doom85

Better Off Dead.

Better Off Dead Cash GIF by moodman

Don’t think it’s necessarily obscure, but I do still often find people who know movies pretty well but either don’t know this one or they do know but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Definitely deserves a watch for those who missed it as it’s hilarious and surreal.

Kagey K

Banned
I'l give you obscure.

I love this movie, the bone gun was one of the coolest things I’d ever seen at the time.
ydUEAWJ.jpg

Took me a second to realize what movie this was, in Canada it released under the title I Come in Peace.

Has one of my favorite lines ever at the end. “I come in peace” to which he replies “and you go in pieces.” 😅
My fav JCVD film

AAW5WBd.jpg
Rewatched this last Saturday. One of JCVD bests.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
????????

It won Best Picture and seven other Academy Awards. How in the the world is this an "unheard of" movie?

Op asked for great films that nobody seems to remember.

Whenever I tell people that Amadeus is one of my favourite films, I'm always asked the same question "what's that film?"

It may have won awards, but it's absolutely a film that nobody remembers unless you're a film buff.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
A couple more, though I could do this all day:

SVdQk0W.jpg
TPGhw9C.jpg

K2DdCBd.jpg

and this gem, a 3D CARTOON
sAhyo5l.jpg

I tell yah, if anyone is looking for a GREAT idea for the Oculus Quest 2 or other VR it is to find a way to display all those red/blue glasses 3D films from back in the day. The list is AMAZING and you KNOW nostalgia would force everyone to get it just to watch some shit again.

Friday the 13th 3, Amityville 3, Jaws 3, the above Orin and these fucking forgotten classics like
HKeoVzM.jpg

KM0SYBQ.jpg

and this CLASSIC
FnECfNz.jpg

Kagey K

Banned

Whenever I tell people that Amadeus is one of my favourite films, I'm always asked the same question "what's that film?"

It may have won awards, but it's absolutely a film that nobody remembers unless you're a film buff.
I’ll be honest, I remember looking at it a lot in the video store as a kid, but I’m not sure that I’ve ever actually watched it.

intbal

We senior citizens sometimes forget that not everybody remembers all the things that used to be "common knowledge".

For my contribution, I'll add two awesome film noir selections, both from the same year (1991).

dIgVfzX.jpg
YyZWXNZ.jpg

Sure everyone knows the big ones like Top Gun, Rocky, Goonies, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, but what are some of the great ones nobody seems to remember?

I'm talking stuff like Cherry 2000, Moving, Critical Condition, Funny Farm, Disorderlies, Dream Team and even Ishtar.

There are so many of these forgotten movies, that once seemed big, but never stood the test of time.

We are currently doing a big 80s/90s run-through and don't want to miss something I forgot about.

MV5BMTYzOTQ3MjI1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTUwOTM5._V1_.jpg

Beyond Begley and Goldblum it also features the great Carol Kane and Michael Richards in a sort of proto Kramer role. Loved this movie as a kid and I NEVER hear anyone talk about it. In fact when I opened the thread I ctrl-f'd the title to see if there were any fellow Transylvania 6-5000 fans but alas, I'm all alone in this again.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
Explorers, it stars a young River Phoenix and I have always loved it.

The Last Starfighter is a brilliant film.

I watched After Hours this week and this is a type of movie they don't make anymore. It was good though.

Explorers was one of my favorites! I just saw it was on prime video a couple weeks ago.

Kagey K

Banned
MV5BMTYzOTQ3MjI1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTUwOTM5._V1_.jpg

Beyond Begley and Goldblum it also features the great Carol Kane and Michael Richards in a sort of proto Kramer role. Loved this movie as a kid and I NEVER hear anyone talk about it. In fact when I opened the thread I ctrl-f'd the title to see if there were any fellow Transylvania 6-5000 fans but alas, I'm all alone in this again.
I loved this movie as a kid, but I love horror comedies like this, Monster Squad, Saturday the 14th, Haunted Honeymoon and High Spirits.

I was supposed to watch it in Oct as part of our yearly Horror watch, but we ran out of time. It's top of the list for next year though.

Last edited:

poppabk

I’ll be honest, I remember looking at it a lot in the video store as a kid, but I’m not sure that I’ve ever actually watched it.
I will always remember it as they showed it in music class when we were like 13 and they didn't realize it had tits in it.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Alright Kagey K Kagey K I'm going to throw these ones out there if you want obscure. You may not be able to find them precisely on streaming but dig through eBay or Amazon for a VHS or DVD release. If not there...try YouTube.

1. Freakshow 1989
2. Society 1989
3. Bloody New Year (almost nothing to do with New Year's but incredibly obscure) 1987
4. Eyes of Fire (this movie should have been a lot bigger. Stars: Dennis Lipscomb and Rob Paulson (later became a big voice actor and Animaniac) with music by Brad Fiedel (Terminator) 1983
5. The Boogeyman 1980

All of these are low-budget and a bit cheesy. However, there are certain things that go pretty far into obscure and I can't say I've seen anything remade or rebooted past or today that resembles how strange certain parts of these movies become.

Kagey K

Banned
Alright Kagey K Kagey K I'm going to throw these ones out there if you want obscure. You may not be able to find them precisely on streaming but dig through eBay or Amazon for a VHS or DVD release. If not there...try YouTube.

1. Freakshow 1989
2. Society 1989
3. Bloody New Year (almost nothing to do with New Year's but incredibly obscure) 1987
4. Eyes of Fire (this movie should have been a lot bigger. Stars: Dennis Lipscomb and Rob Paulson (later became a big voice actor and Animaniac) with music by Brad Fiedel (Terminator) 1983
5. The Boogeyman 1980

All of these are low-budget and a bit cheesy. However, there are certain things that go pretty far into obscure and I can't say I've seen anything remade or rebooted past or today that resembles how strange certain parts of these movies become.
Yep that's pretty obscure, only ones I recognize off the top of my head are Freakshow and Boogyman. Going to have to look into the rest.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yep that's pretty obscure, only ones I recognize off the top of my head are Freakshow and Boogyman. Going to have to look into the rest.
I'm almost certain most of them are running in full on YouTube as they've passed many years without being re-licensed. Eyes of Fire was only ever released on VHS in the U.S. (possibly had a basic DVD release in Europe), Freakshow was VHS only in Canada (it's a Canadian film), and Bloody New Year was an English movie only released on VHS in North America. Boogeyman was released by Anchor Bay and is long oop on DVD and Society was last released in a limited edition blu-ray set.

ydUEAWJ.jpg

K8gsqrl.jpg

Always found "I Come In Peace" and "Showdown in Little Tokyo" to be a great Dolph buddy cop double feature. =P

jason10mm

Gold Member
K8gsqrl.jpg

Always found "I Come In Peace" and "Showdown in Little Tokyo" to be a great Dolph buddy cop double feature. =P
I watched Showdown a few weeks back. It does NOT hold up that well, but it is still fun. Dolph is just so sleepy talking and Brandon hasn't gotten comfortable with his sass yet. Fuck if Tia Carrere isn't SMOKING in this though and it has all the great action stuff for the 80's/90's like gratuitous nudity, horrible racist stereotypes, and shoddy practical stuntwork :)

poppabk

Took me a second to realize what movie this was, in Canada it released under the title I Come in Peace.

Has one of my favorite lines ever at the end. “I come in peace” to which he replies “and you go in pieces.” 😅
Weirdly enough the version I watched was called Dark Angel in the streaming service but the title card during the actual movie was I Come in Piece.

Weirdly enough the version I watched was called Dark Angel in the streaming service but the title card during the actual movie was I Come in Piece.
Dark Angel was the original title which was used in the Euro release. The US bluray release has a flippable cover where you can choose which title and boxart you've prefer. =P

Last edited:
Top Bottom