• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII DEMO - OUT NOW* -

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It's only a problem if you don't do quests.
I played on normal mode and didn't have problems, but like I said I did most quests I came across and abused Chronostasis, I abused it too much, probably, since I had time to spare at the end.
Normal enemies on normal mode don't give out much EP/GP but the bigger ones like the Zaltys enemies you find in some spots give at least 1 EP/GP each, so killing those are a really good way to get more EP/GP, assuming you can defeat them anyway, since those are really tough at first.

So the trick is to farm enemies and quests so that you can save more EP/GP to extend time in a later moment. Considering I plan to platinum the game completing all the quests was already part of the plan to begin with.

Kagari said:
You can only level through quest completion, which means if you get stuck you can't exactly grind out levels or anything. I think in general the battle difficulty is also increased compared to the previous games. Probably because there is only one player character, but yeah.

Final Fantasy XIII was quite difficult, hopefully I don't get stuck at every new boss lol ~

thx

Caayn

That's somewhat disappointing after playing the demo. Sure the time pressure isn't going to be high, but if there's a timer anywhere in the game I automatically start to rush things no matter how much time I've got. And I don't really like the sound of the new level system. I already didn't really liked the FFXIII(-2) systems.
Still thanks for the tips.

Timu

Oh and dem screens, game looks good to me:
ibyqjQ78ojYIq3.png

iZdBtnRMnakmh.png

iQv4cNhVga4DY.png

i4s9gysyXUZKu.png

iV3NUHH6r8hXx.png

iphsLFPS4tuLT.png

ij7qGDJwDCJpc.png

ibz9srLKochAqa.png

RPGCrazied

Eh. Screw it. I'll probably regret it later. I guess I will day 1 it now. Give me something to play while I wait on my ToS Chronicles CE.

So I played about half of FFXIII before giving up. I thought it was ok I didn't hate it. This game is completely different? Do I need to know the story up to this point?

Perfo

So I played about half of FFXIII before giving up. I thought it was ok I didn't hate it. This game is completely different? Do I need to know the story up to this point?

The game is completely different from both XIII and XIII-2. As for the story it's a direct continuation of the story even if the game tries to explain previous events in its own way. Obviously you would be enjoying more of it by knowing everything.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So the trick is to farm enemies and quests so that you can save more EP/GP to extend time in a later moment. Considering I plan to platinum the game completing all the quests was already part of the plan to begin with.

Final Fantasy XIII was quite difficult, hopefully I don't get stuck at every new boss lol ~

thx

Eh, I thought XIII was pretty easy and XIII-2 was a joke even on Normal mode.

Jolkien

You would probably be lost anyway. I find the story very hard to follow especially in XIII-2.

RPGCrazied

So, I'm going to have 5 costumes when I start playing. 1 from preorder, 2 from demo, 2 from XIII and XIII-2 saves.

Do costumes give any stats or they just for show?

Perfo

XIII-2 was a joke and we agree here. As for FFXIII locking levels imho made for a great difficulty balance. Lots of RPGs in general would benefit from removing completely the levelling system or limiting it like XIII/LO. Farming/Grinding to beat hard enemies is cheating and there's nothing hard about it unfortunately, only tedious. I think the solution suggested by LR: FFXIII is also interesting, similar in certain ways but invites you in dealing with the extras you usually skip because worthless. I'm sure they're all fetch quests but at least rewards sound interesting (exp, items, equips, time for the world ecc.).

Bladenic

I've bought both LE strategy guides for the past 2 games and they were incredibly nice, dunno if I'll bite here though.

Ugh

The costume DLC fest is pretty annoying

Making your fans jump around through these hoops for nominal content is so childish and demeaning

Any impressions of the actual game? I know GAF has been playing the JP version for some time now. Whats the consensus?

ronito

Sorry SquarEnix, not falling for it this time. Fooled me once with FFXIII and then fooled me again with FFXIII-2. Shame on me.

Perfo

Any impressions of the actual game? I know GAF has been playing the JP version for some time now. Whats the consensus?

I think not more than 3 here played the game. Kagari didn't like it (calling it "average" in her review), the other guy (goli) is posting here various gameplay details and he seems to like the game.

Kinda like Namco and them pricing their costumes for Tales Of. I've probably spent over $20 on costumes on Graces and Xillia. :p

I'm part of the problem I guess.

Yuck dude....

Cmon now. I mean expendable income is what it is. It wouldn't hurt so much if it wasn't becoming the preferred customer to cater too.

No offense but I feel like the trend benefits buyers of costumes over people that play the actual game.

Thats likely an overreaction but the trend is constantly in our faces with nearly ever game now..

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yuck dude....

Cmon now. I mean expendable income is what it is. It wouldn't hurt so much if it wasn't becoming the preferred customer to cater too.

No offense but I feel like the trend benefits buyers of costumes over people that play the actual game.

Thats likely an overreaction but the trend is constantly in our faces with nearly ever game now..

Just be glad you don't have to buy the DLC outfits if you don't want to. And be glad they are shoehorning in story content as DLC either like they did with XIII-2.

RPGCrazied

Well, I make an exception for Tales Of. Its like my favorite franchise. I normally wouldn't spend that much on cosmetic items in a game. I do wish games would go back to leaving this in the game to unlock or get within the game. Older Tales Of did this, and I sure do miss it.

Well there are more than 80 outfits in the game if I'm not mistaken, those extra DLCs are just for hardcore fans like myself. Not necessary.

At least most of these AAA devs do discounted complete editions down the line...

I just hate having everything itemized. Even for games with Free DLC I wish they would bundle them into ONE download so I dont have to click 50+ links (exaggeration)

just beat XIII-2 finally last night, and i'm pretty sure i could have beaten the last boss(es) with just tapping X without even bothering to heal or looking at the screen.. there was NO challenge at all. the bosses were pretty cool otherwise though.

Long Gui was a joke too. there are some bosses i haven't tried yet, i hope they'll offer a bit more challenge...

and i really hope LRFFXIII isn't as piss-easy as FFXIII-2.

i do admit i have a habit of overleveling my chars though xD but still.. the older FF games were way more challenging even with overleveled chars

Esura

Banned
I can't wait til this game comes out.

Looks like the only thing I'll have to get used to is the uneven quality in models and the environment and the time limit. I'll use this demo to familiarize myself with everything.

I plan on playing a good chunk of the game with Lightning in the most revealing clothes possible.

Toth

Bummer. And with this being it for XIII games, I assume we won't get to see him anymore.

His arc from XIII-2 is continued in the game (completed? play and see) and he does get some scenes
in the ending
. You may be happy with what you get, I wager.

Pain

Banned
Will try this out later today just for shits and giggles. God I love having a decent internet connection now. I don't know how I ever put up with 1.5mpbs before.

pixlexic

Banned
Is the battle system like ff12 now were you have the mmo aggro type battles or dies it still completely take you out of the world to battle?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Can't find it on my 360 anywhere.

I see on the Xbox.com website but it says I need Gold to download it which I currently have a Gold trial right now.

.... the hell....

Top Bottom