• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P releases on September 19 | Summer Game Fest

Mr Moose

• As others have pointed out, the whole "lie" aspect of the game is pretty on the nose.
fry-futurama.gif

Finished the demo yesterday. Considering I wasn't even remotely interested in the game going in (my friend has been bugging me to give it a try), I enjoyed it overall.

It's not without its issues of course, but there's enough there to make me want to play it on my PC since I've got a gamepass subscription anyway:
  • The underlying lore and the spin on the original tale is very interesting. I enjoy all of the occult references and the suggestion that the city of Krat owes its success + prosperity to the creation golems/puppets ala Sefer Yetzirah.
  • Translation + localization is... rough. Lots of awkwardly worded sentences. Needs quite bit of work here.
  • Voice acting is good overall. Some inconsistencies on line delivery, but given the translation quality, it's understandable.
  • Animations are fine. Attack telegraphing could use some improvement (more on this later). Other than that, not really sure what the complaints are about honestly. Not quite the level of Bloodborne, but expecting FromSoftware quality in an indie title is kinda unfair.
  • Visually, the game looks and performs great! Played on the PS5 at 40fps fidelity mode, but I plan to move to my PC for the full release. The HDR implementation needs some work. It doesn't appear to be reading from the PS5 calibration so peak whites are too dim and contrast goes from washed out to blown out with a single bump of the sliders. Played in SDR (in an HDR container) for the demo since I couldn't get this tuned correctly and it looked much better. At times, I wish they didn't lean too heavily into the Bloodborne aesthetic. Broken down carriages + luggage as environmental barriers is incredibly lame.
  • As others have pointed out, the whole "lie" aspect of the game is pretty on the nose. Underneath the surface, the concept of being able to lie as a puppet and break the Grand Covenant makes me want to learn more, but the cringey inclusion in things like the game over + loading screen really lacks any subtlety.
  • I-frames and dodge distance seem a bit off. Then again, I was playing with around 40% equip load (medium), but Bloodborne-style gameplay shouldn't place so much restriction on weight tiers other than the heaviest. If I need to duck and weave everywhere, then i-frames are very important. Still needs tweaking here.
  • The other side of combat, perfect guards feel great to pull off, but the windows are either ridiculously small or wildly inconsistent. Many enemies have super long wind ups with quick swings, so you're constantly second guessing when you need to block. If this is tightened up, then it could make for interesting hybrid between Sekiro and Bloodborne.
  • They adapted the rally mechanic from Bloodborne to encourage aggressive gameplay, but enemies can also regain health if they manage to hit you or through chip damage when you fail to execute a perfect guard. It ends up being way more punishing than necessary when you account for the weird i-frames and perfect guard window. I was playing with a dex build and damage reduction was pretty low until the end, so maybe I can minimize that stat to something a bit more forgiving.
  • Didn't really play too much with Fable Arts, but it looks like it could mix up the gameplay to further distinguish itself from Bloodborne so I'm all about it.
  • Considering it was just a demo, enemy variety was surprisingly good! Very indicative of early game, so I wasn't expecting too much here, but I was pleasantly surprised.
  • Not a huge game-changer, but I like that you can use the record player in the hub area to give some personal ambience. Was a nice touch. Speaking of the hub area (Krat Hotel), I quite like it. Felt very homey
For being a straight up Bloodborne rip-off, it's executed surprisingly well compared to others. It adds enough interesting mechanics + lore to where I think I'll be able to enjoy it on its own terms rather than leaving me wanting to play the genuine article by FromSoftware. Good luck to the devs for the future release 👍

EDIT: Originally posted this at the bottom of the previous page, but I've moved it here for increased visibility and hopefully spark some discussion

Last edited:

The combat doesn't look floaty to me here.
This guy makes these fights look OP for P, but he makes fights look easy in other Souls-like games too.
Meanwhile I'm getting wrecked by the second mini-boss down by the canal.

I wish this game had a map or am I missing something?

Like Dark Souls and Bloodborne there is no map. You just have to remember the placement of landmarks in areas. Thank you for the video btw. I prefer seeing the best souls players try out games like this to see if I'm missing a crucial mechanic or two.

From what I'm seeing, it seems like using the run is a key component to avoiding big sweeping attacks and also that constant pressure with timed blocks is preferable to playing it safe. Maybe I should be thinking of things more like Sekiro rather than Bloodborne.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Great perfomance on the ps5.

But the combat feels off to me, it's basically a copy of Bloodborne, but something is weird on it... Maybe the evasion iframes or the hit reactions. It doesn't feel good to play.

Also, swinging the sword on enemies feels floaty.

Which is a pity, since the art style and the setting are interesting.
I found that the dodging was less responsive than BB, and I got frustrated. I could be mistaken, but in BB, I recall dodging occurring no matter when you input it. In Lies of P demo, my initial action had to finish first. But maybe in Lies of P that's something that can be mitigated by leveling up a certain stat.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
How's the performance on PC? I can't download just now and i'm curious.
Don't know if anyone's answered you, but performance was great imo. I have a 3080, and was getting 150fps @1440p with default Ultra settings. No stutters that I noticed. It's like looking at a high-def Bloodborne. I was really impressed

Last edited:
I-frames and dodge distance seem a bit off. Then again, I was playing with around 40% equip load (medium), but Bloodborne-style gameplay shouldn't place so much restriction on weight tiers other than the heaviest. If I need to duck and weave everywhere, then i-frames are very important. Still needs tweaking here.
I think there is an adjustment period, but I could dodge most of the attacks of the Scrapped Watchmen and counter at medium weight. I think your issue is you are expecting it to follow Bloodbourne to a T, but it is its own beast.

Also, after beating Krat Hall you can upgrade a P-Organ with a skill that allows an extra dodge input in the middle of a dodge to increase invincibility frames.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Don't know if anyone's answered you, but performance was great imo. I have a 3080, and was getting 150fps @1440p with default Ultra settings. No stutters that I noticed. It's like looking at a high-def Bloodborne. I was really impressed
Good stuff thanks, im stuck at work for another week so cant download but sound promising.

Kataploom

Gold Member
How is it ?
I really liked it and a friend did too, I never played Bloodborne so I can only judge it as it's own thing. Definitely playing it when it releases, the graphics, combat, art style, etc are great, but it's a lighter souls like, seems like a bit easier for experienced souls players though I just only played the beginning, I don't have any problem with that though

rapid32.5

I wish more devs had the balls release such meaty demos. For a demo I give it a 9/10 could end up a solid 82-85/100 game.

MGS2 demo I can see if given a lot of leeway. I can even give the benefit of doubt to RE2 Remake if you are a huge fan. However, a walking simulator like P.T. just feels ingenuine. First person shooters are so foreign to me I cannot even be a judge for Halo CE demo.

What demo (as opposed to full scale release) has gameplay and/or graphics of this quality as of 2023? I would be curious to give them a try.

Last edited:

Crownttano

This demo, this combat, is absolutely awful
Just about every thing is bad
🤢
I beat the first boss no damage, messed around with some other weapons then uninstalled.

Heard there are passive skills tho. Maybe those in the full game will make it better
👺

Ansphn

I beat the demo and loved it. I am going to purchase the game the day it comes out. The production values on this are insane. It's performance on Series S alone, makes Bloodborne on PS4 look like it needed more time in the oven. It is weird how apathetic I was about it before I really dived into the demo. This is the best demo I have ever played. Not even PS1 demo disks had this much content and fidelity to them.

It sounds like a lot of people are playing with 30%+ weight hence the delay to movement and greater stamina consumption. Also a lot seem to be getting filtered out before they unlock more weapons past Hotel Krat. It is weird that people cannot accept a game with differences in its gameplay design. Blocking and Puppet String Legion Arm are incredibly versatile in this game. The only real concern is weapon degradation in combat. It is a good thing the game throws a lot of cool weapons your way to switch between.

There is also a lot of fun to be had with mixing handles and blades to create unique weapon movesets. For me, combining greatsword blade with rapier handle is the fast but strong hit and run weapon I always wanted in these games. That rapier moveset is perfect for both bosses and NPC enemies alike. In the final version, I hope the saber handle will have an electric version to pair with electric baton head as that is the most fun mace I have used. Even though the default electric baton is better implementation of Bloodbourne's Tonitrus, it is not nearly as robust as this combination. It is good that the courtyard of the hotel has training dummies right next to the weapon customization shop as testing the combinations out is truly one of the greatest joys in this game.

I also really liked the level design on this. It was one of the things that were a leap above games like Thymesia. The enemies are not nearly as formidable or aggressive as in Thymesia, but they offered enough of a challenge with the way they are placed throughout the level and the bosses were certainly difficult and intimidating. I can't wait to see what else the developers can accomplish with the full release.

Past the first boss, you need to speak with Sophia (aka Blue Fairy) at Hotel Krat to level up.

They have an option for clicking left stick to run. My only gripe with the alternative one button implementation is that it is dodge on button press and not on release. Not a big deal though.
Yes exactly my thoughts and complaints. The L3 to run is superior even in Souls-likes. I hate that run is locked to dodge.

mrcroket

I enjoyed the demo, is long, well optimized and transmits the developers' confidence in their game. And only for that I will buy the game day one, I never do that but this people have gained my trust after this demo 3 months before the release date.

🤢
I beat the first boss no damage, messed around with some other weapons then uninstalled.

Heard there are passive skills tho. Maybe those in the full game will make it better
👺

Gotta say... you play in the most boring way imaginable. If you use a tank build while employing hit-and-run tactics then of course the first boss of the game will seem like a snooze-fest.

Try a dex build and get up in the face of the enemy to exchange blows while using dodges + perfect guards. I'd be curious to hear what you think then.

Eiknarf

Banned
🤢

👺

Yeah
It’s a bit cringe

(Get mad everyone who “thinks” they love it. Stop trying to convince yourself)

LastBattle

It's gotta be said. Some posters on GAF are the most jaded cynical gamers I've ever come across. The sentiment I've seen elsewhere for Lies of P is very positive. I also believe it has huge potential based on what I played. Reading some of the comments here you would think the game was utter garbage. Same goes for the many other games. What a bunch of Debby downers!

Is it because it's available on Game Pass? I've noticed a pattern of 3rd parties on Game Pass being lambasted here.

Last edited:

Neolombax

The game is fine, not for me though. Aesthetics wise, its very similar to Bloodborne, which I quite like. Very moody. I don't feel like there's anything special going on with this game though, its a very well made soulslike game but it appears that is all it has. I may be wrong though.

(Get mad everyone who “thinks” they love it. Stop trying to convince yourself)
You made me picture this face reading your post lol
psh-dwight-schrute-whatever-acting-like-jim-g6veep9ptrmpv6u5.gif

It's okay if you don't like it man. That's the beauty of a genre being a genre. You have enough options to not care about this one. If you change your mind, see you at the OT, otherwise...

a84db60597b4187dfb83a2274d6a553f45526296.gif

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finished the demo completely. Favorite combo of what I tried was the Greatsword blade with the club hilt. Final boss was fun and took me about 5 or 6 tries.

Too bad it comes out right before Starfield, but I'll pick this up for sure.

Crownttano

So my home girl sent me screen shots of the passive skills and they look promising. I really don't get why they decided to keep them locked away till the end of the demo, some shit in there that'll really improve the combat
🤥
I said fook it, let me download again and finish

Scrapped Watchman No Damage with the Police Baton, default Handle

Acidjuice

Neo Member
i really like it. its a bloodbourne ripoff that has enough of its own charm and mystique to mostly be its own thing. i kinda wanna see what this team can do in a couple more iterations.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
It's gotta be said. Some posters on GAF are the most jaded cynical gamers I've ever come across. The sentiment I've seen elsewhere for Lies of P is very positive. I also believe it has huge potential based on what I played. Reading some of the comments here you would think the game was utter garbage. Same goes for the many other games. What a bunch of Debby downers!

Is it because it's available on Game Pass? I've noticed a pattern of 3rd parties on Game Pass being lambasted here.

Or maybe, some will like just because its gonna be on gamepass ? See ? It works both ways, do you understand how utterly stupid sounds parroting the same thing over and over again ?

Man, this persecution complex has been getting out of hand lately not to mention insufferable , it's like, you already know that it'll be the de facto quote and fake concern® when it comes to some users.
Every other God damned post is about this, it used to be that you couldn't criticize Xbox exclusives because..."reasons" some time back, now , criticizing/discussing 3RD PARTY games that their only virtue is the fact that they'll be available on gamepass is also "forbidden" apparently otherwise you're gonna be labeled a "fanboy", holy shit at the paper-thin skin of some people, like, God damn this whining has been getting insufferable, and the fun part ? These people whine about...other people whining (?) How does it work ?

LastBattle, learn to accept other people's opinions besides yours, the fact that some like it means exactly jack and shit and it's not proof of anything since - and this might come as a shock - different people like different things.

Last edited:

LastBattle

Or maybe, some will like just because its gonna be on gamepass ? See ? It works both ways, do you understand how utterly stupid sounds parroting the same thing over and over again ?

Man, this persecution complex has been getting out of hand lately not to mention insufferable , it's like, you already know that it'll be the de facto quote and fake concern® when it comes to some users.
Every other God damned post is about this, it used to be that you couldn't criticize Xbox exclusives because..."reasons" some time back, now , criticizing/discussing 3RD PARTY games that their only virtue is the fact that they'll be available on gamepass is also "forbidden" apparently otherwise you're gonna be labeled a "fanboy", holy shit at the paper-thin skin of some people, like, God damn this whining has been getting insufferable, and the fun part ? These people whine about...other people whining (?) How does it work ?

LastBattle, learn to accept other people's opinions besides yours, the fact that some like it means exactly jack and shit and it's not proof of anything since - and this might come as a shock - different people like different things.
I’m just calling it like I see it mate. If you don’t like it. Move on. It’s really not worth getting yourself worked up over.

simpatico

The game isn't bad. The worst parts of it for me are as good as the best parts of The Surge. Combat is just a bit too floaty and unresponsive. I wonder if the rolling "problems" are an engine limitation or intentional. If I hit B I want to be mid roll by the time my thumb comes off the button. Especially in a game where they want you play as a Rogue. The weapon impacts could use more meat and feedback. That is crucial to get right if you're copying From. There's some serious float. The System Shock remake is crushed with the same problems. I wonder what it actually is that makes certain melee combat, and hits especially, satisfying.

Stafford

HDR definitely needs work. Black levels are washed out. Did notice some nice highlights like the lamps and stuff, but fix those black levels please.

HDR can be so damn great, if only implemented properly!!

Field

How can I change which Fable skill/attack I’m using? Or is it maybe tied to which weapon you have equipped?

Mr Hyde

Played up until the first boss, than I had to leave for work. Felt pretty good, but as always with these Soulsborne-games you are constantly reminded that this is just a lesser copy of the games you actually love. There is always something off, and these copycats can't lock down the fundamentals of the formula that From Software excels at. What I mean is that Lies of P feels shallow, surface type level where a game such as Bloodborne stands head above shoulders over this cheap imitator.

With that out of my chest I'm still going to give Lies of P a fair shake. The world design and premise is intriguing and I want to see more of what the game has to offer. Hopefully it can scratch the Bloodborne itch a few inches at least. But man, it's so derivative, the visuals and gameplay mechanics are borderline carbon copy. No originality whatsoever.

Last edited:

sachos

Damn this demo kicked my but. Really liked it although i feel i did not fully utilize/understand its mechanics properly and thats why it felt harder than usual for the beginning of a Souls game. Finished it at slightly over 3hs. Combat felt good if not slightly floaty. Had a couple of dodges that i feel shouldn't have hitted me. Best Soulslike not from FromSoft thus far?

Last edited:
Top Bottom