• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P releases on September 19 | Summer Game Fest

Great perfomance on the ps5.

But the combat feels off to me, it's basically a copy of Bloodborne, but something is weird on it... Maybe the evasion iframes or the hit reactions. It doesn't feel good to play.

Also, swinging the sword on enemies feels floaty.

Which is a pity, since the art style and the setting are interesting.
Exactly this. The best analogy I can give is its like playing bloodborne with shackles on your feet.

Played the demo on PC. The game looks okay. Plays like a fucking piece of garbage. You can tell this is low budget on terms of animation and all. Also, a big portion of the mechanics and design came from Bloodborne. It's insane. The audio design is also pretty bad.

The good part for me is that the game feels very "lightly" to play, where most "souls like" feel heavy, and I hate that. I think for people who like Souls game, THIS IS A LOW BUDGET SOULS GAME and decent one after all, if you can handle the garbage gameplay animations.... oh and the lock on, Oh my, worst one yet!!!

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Wow that's a sizable demo. I can't figure out the perfect parry, either the window is so tight or I'm doing something wrong, getting destroyed by the donkey man...
Overall just as I thought - it's really solid, despite some jittery animation on the lead as expected everything looks very nice and plays as expected, no idea what those criticisms about the gameplay I'm reading even mean.
Slinging shit at it because it "looks too much like Bloodborne" is so retarded I'm lost for words.
I'll try again tomorrow and I'm definitely in when it launches.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Played the demo on PC. The game looks okay. Plays like a fucking piece of garbage. You can tell this is low budget on terms of animation and all. Also, a big portion of the mechanics and design came from Bloodborne. It's insane. The audio design is also pretty bad.

The good part for me is that the game feels very "lightly" to play, where most "souls like" feel heavy, and I hate that. I think for people who like Souls game, THIS IS A LOW BUDGET SOULS GAME and decent one after all, if you can handle the garbage gameplay animations.... oh and the lock on, Oh my, worst one yet!!!
You have no understanding of what makes Bloodborne so good.

As for me, I loved the demo. It’s the closest thing to a Bloodborne sequel we’ve ever had. And it feels like an homage, not a ripoff like the early Dark Souls clones did.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Okay that demo was really good. This is looking up to be an awesome title. Went with the balanced build and the Legion Arm ability you get (the first one) is really effective.

What they are doing with the "lie" part of the fable is cool. Boss fights are great, voice acting is really good, and levels are detailed with some decent exploration.

Also 120fps by default and still looks great at 1080p (based on my TV info).

Last edited:

Zotaku

That guys prettier then most western female characters.
Aloy would like to have a word with you!......or maybe not.

But seriously though....forget about androgyny and effeminate looking men.....this straight up looks like a chick.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Well, I beat the demo today and while it is fun Bloodborne it is not.
Of course it's not, but there are people that see a connection and/or similarities. Whether you do, or don't. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I haven't played it. But I felt from the footage I've seen that there's most certainly some inspiration in there. But that doesn't mean it's a carbon copy or clone, haha.

Last edited:

Fbh

Played up until the first boss (and beat him), overall I really enjoyed the demo.

I thought it looked and ran quite good on Ps5 and it played pretty well too. It''s not quite FROM tier and I struggled a bit with the evade timing, but it plays much better than most "souls-like" games. Combat feels responsive and normal sized enemies give good feedback to your attacks.

It does feel very derivative thought. There's a few unique ideas but it really feels like someone just wanted to make their own FROM game.

Also HDR seems busted on Ps5. It gives the game this ugly washed out look, looks way better with it disabled.

Last edited:
Movement/combat feels off, really bizarre. World is beautiful but this is clearly a budget title latching onto Bloodborne comparisons (lol) to generate interest. If you want a budget Souls game with BB vibes that actually feels good to play Thymesia is currently free on PS+.

Of course it's not, but there are people that see a connection and/or similarities. Whether you do, or don't. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I haven't played it. But I felt from the footage I've seen that there's most certainly some inspiration in there. But that doesn't mean it's a carbon copy or clone, haha.
It's one of the more blatant rip offs ive ever seen, at worst that means its at least a decent game lol.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
i second that emotion (tho i didn't really think it was all that much fun). appearances can be deceiving...

also: does his/her nose grow?...

It is not his nose that grows.

creepy smile GIF
Creeping Parks And Recreation GIF

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Movement/combat feels off, really bizarre. World is beautiful but this is clearly a budget title latching onto Bloodborne comparisons (lol) to generate interest. If you want a budget Souls game with BB vibes that actually feels good to play Thymesia is currently free on PS+.
How similar it is to Thymesia? Because I tried that and nopped out in like 15 minutes because it felt too janky, the combat too floaty and weight-less, and the game too low-budget for my liking.

You're saying that Lies of P is even worse than Thymesia?

I'm torn about the opinions here. On one hand, I think it's great that the game is still being compared to the prestige of Bloodborne even after people have gotten their hands on the demo. On the other hand, making this comparison is also ruining(for you guys) what could be a fun 8/10 gem that is a developer's first effort into the Soulslike genre, and this is a really damn good effort for first timers.

I can only imagine how good Round 8 Studio's next game will be from all of the lessons they've learned making this one.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I'm torn about the opinions here. On one hand, I think it's great that the game is still being compared to the prestige of Bloodborne even after people have gotten their hands on the demo. On the other hand, making this comparison is also ruining(for you guys) what could be a fun 8/10 gem that is a developer's first effort into the Soulslike genre, and this is a really damn good effort for first timers.

I can only imagine how good Round 8 Studio's next game will be from all of the lessons they've learned making this one.
Well said. I feel the same way, and said the same thing about Atomic Heart and its developer.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Price is the problem. Its fully AAA priced which means expectations should be high for it. They shot themselves in the foot with that price.

Price is the problem. Its fully AAA priced which means expectations should be high for it. They shot themselves in the foot with that price.
Price is only relative to time though. When this game goes on sale a few months later and people are looking for reliable reviews, the ones based around price will be the first at the bottom of the list.

To add onto this, on 2 out of 3 platforms it’s price will be equivalent to a one month sub of Gamepass anyway.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really don't like it. Not only it feels like a knock off... which is OK but it doesn't get it.
-Some animations are mortal kombat school of no telegraphing. They will swing from down position, with little to no preparation. The animations are abrupt.
-Parrying fucking sucks. It is unnaturally late. And with these terrible animations, it's really bad. Some animations are ok but man...
-Graphics are so so... Our guy looks great. Environments look kinda flat. No hdr options whatsoever again
-Audio is lacking too.
-What's the point of strength build if it still does shit damage. At least it still swings pretty fast
-Dodge is almost useless. You move slow and the dodge is really short

I don't like UI either. And the "lie" stuff is pretty obnoxious. "lie or die", "now lying (loading)"... cmon.
The worst one is parrying and enemy animations.
I also think it's too complicated with layered mechanics. Souls is good because it is really simple in it's genius

Last edited:

FeastYoEyes

Played a chunk of the demo. The Bloodborne inspiration is blatant and it comes through even more playing it. Plays better than I was expecting. If reviews are good, I'll buy.

skit_data

Gonna check out the demo when I get back home, just gotta try not to go into it expecting it will be like Bloodborne. I did that with Thymesia recently and was so severely let down, the mechanics and gameplay was fine but it looked like something from the early 00s.

Calverz

I really don't like it. Not only it feels like a knock off... which is OK but it doesn't get it.
-Some animations are mortal kombat school of no telegraphing. They will swing from down position, with little to no preparation. The animations are abrupt.
-Parrying fucking sucks. It is unnaturally late. And with these terrible animations, it's really bad. Some animations are ok but man...
-Graphics are so so... Our guy looks great. Environments look kinda flat. No hdr options whatsoever again
-Audio is lacking too.
-What's the point of strength build if it still does shit damage. At least it still swings pretty fast
-Dodge is almost useless. You move slow and the dodge is really short

I don't like UI either. And the "lie" stuff is pretty obnoxious. "lie or die", "now lying (loading)"... cmon.
The worst one is parrying and enemy animations.
I also think it's too complicated with layered mechanics. Souls is good because it is really simple in it's genius
I played it on pc and there was an hdr option

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
It's a little Janky but I had fun the little I played of the Demo. Definitely willing to pick it up.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Phil told no lies, this game is legit.

Remember the reactions when the game got announced and that video with the placeholder voice over got leaked ?

They've made a huge turnaround since then.

ClosBSAS

its the best souls like out there by far, the more i play it th emore i like it. to say mortal shell or thymesia are better is just nuts. those are really low budget clones. this is more competent. play more and the more you play the more yhou understand the mechanics. the last boss is a blocking tutorial basically on perfect guard. game is a solid 7.

Kvally

Banned
Just played a little more this morning. Controls are solid. Love the environment. The sound via my surround is pretty sick.

RNG

No compilation stutter on PC for me, frametime graph stays flat throughout. So far I've beaten the first boss and I'm liking it.

Season 9 Premiere GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

GymWolf

Alright, played the demo, it's actually, pretty decent, tho as you play you can feel the indie, low budgety vibes of it, the architecture and level design isnt that great, but its ok. It does have one huge thing which I hate, and that is auto-follow camera, which moves the camera automatically behind ur back when u move or whatever and for me, thats kind of annoying. If they dont add an option to disable it, might not bite on it. Gives me nausea when games automatically control my camera for some reason. It's not as bad as some other bad souls-likes I played but still meh. Will see.
Some games have the option to turn off that if i i remember well.

Kagero

Loved it! I thought it was quite polished. Not as dense as Bloodborne but if you told me this was a sequel I would sort of believe you. I chose the heaviest weapon off the start and it felt really weighty. Felt great! I look forward to this one. Demo sold me on it. Great world.

Reallink

The trailers are really deceiving on the graphics. Even maxed out on PC at native 4K it looks like a fairly unexceptional PS4 game. A clear step behind Demon's Soul Remake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom