• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P Demo Surpasses a Million Downloads in Three Days

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m on the fence. Either it’s for people who can’t wait for another Bloodborne or it’s people who just want to complain about From games. I might try it. Btw I loved Dark Souls III.

Buggy Loop

I heard negative feedback. Tries to sell as a Bloodborne clone but is slow as fuck, it’s basically slower than even Dark souls and expects you to parry your way into fights but is nowhere near Sekiro in timing.

Will try on my own later but I doubt this game will score above 80

My interest dissipated quickly after the first boss, and definitively when I got to the reskinned version of Darkbeast Paarl.

bloodborne-ps4-darkbeast-paarl-boss-guide-tips.large.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

BbMajor7th

Yeah somehow the evasion move feels off...
Yeah, it really doesn't feel right. I've been trying to get the vibe but the flow just isn't there. I don't know why it's so hard to get the most basic part correct. Every FromSoft imitation seems to miss the most important bit.

Outside of that, it's good, not great. The atmosphere never quite lands, the basic mobs are a push-over and the level design lacks any clever occlusion, so you're never really immersed. Leaves you feeling like you're going through the motions after half an hour.

Last edited:
So, it's not me that's having issues with the combat. Animation locked as you dodge is so ridiculous (is this game tying their input to frame-rate?). Their Fable skills are an interesting add-on to the souls formula but the opening's are too much. And that Fable handle parry.... What the fuck were they thinking with this? You need near perfect timing for this it's practically unusable. Ironically, it's a lot easier to pull of a perfect parry instead, which is bizarre.

That being said, the aesthetics are clearly top-class here. Definitely, one for the steampunk enthusiasts.

Sounds like a lot of you had your weight above 30% the whole time causing P to move slower. That is the only explanation for dodging feeling sluggish. Kind of wierd for me as I could dodge Scrapped Watchman with ease at 56% weight. Also, hilariously enough the perfect block could easily be used instead of dodging for truly heavy builds.

Outside of that, it's good, not great. The atmosphere never quite lands, the basic mobs are a push-over and the level design lacks any clever occlusion, so you're never really immersed. Leaves you feeling like you're going through the motions after half an hour.
The world doesn't really open up until you exit Hotel Krat, which would likely take longer than half an hour. Did you perchance complement Northern Asylum, Things Betwixt, and Untended Graves for their clever design?

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
The dodging feels way better with some skills/perks later on.

I played with around 70% weight, but all that aside I much prefer using the perfect block mechanic in this game. Easy to do and makes the boss fights aggressive and fast paced.

I really enjoyed this Demo and it did a good job selling me on the game. I think it's the best feeling Soulslike I've played so far, the Bloodborne vibes were off the charts. I especially like the world design a lot.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I tried the demo. It’s like they took all the things from the Yharnam/Cathedral Ward and twisted it. The item behind the locked gate, the enemies with canes/gun, the dogs, etc. etc. I’m interested to see if they fixed some things. The homing telegraphed boss move was not fun. It wasnt fluid. The iframes aren’t there. I feel like there’s no breakable boxes, so smashing crates isn’t there. If the impressions are good then it might be worth checking out. It could be great, but I thought some Bloodborne bosses were more enjoyable. This is like rough hit boxes and pitiful dodge mechanics.

Yeah, it really doesn't feel right. I've been trying to get the vibe but the flow just isn't there. I don't know why it's so hard to get the most basic part correct. Every FromSoft imitation seems to miss the most important bit.

I felt this way about The Surge and Thymesia. There’s something they haven’t coded or some setting that’s raw or isn’t adjusted properly. It’s like they’re letting the enjoyment/passion of the From Software games show, but they don’t exactly have the game design part.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
lies-of-p-demo-1536x864.jpg

Having unleashed the demo across all platforms last week, NEOWIZ has now announced that Lies of P’s demo surpassed a million downloads in only three days post-launch. The demo gives players access to the game’s first two chapters months ahead of its September 19 release date.

At the Summer Game Fest showcase on June 8, NEOWIZ unveiled a public demo for its upcoming Victorian Soulslike Lies of P, available across PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox One. That demo has enjoyed significant success despite being released so close to the celebrated Final Fantasy 16 demo, and was downloaded over a million times in total just three days after being launched.

I'm not a beta boy. That said, I've paid it off in full for the collector's edition. Can't wait.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I downloaded it and I don't like it.
Combat feels bad, graphics are so so. Ui is trash.
I don't see and feel what apparently everyone else is.

And it shamelessly grabs everything from bloodborne. Style, mechanics, everything

Last edited:
I didn't finish the demo, but played enough that I will definitely play it on release.
Souls type games aren't usually my jam, but I had a good time with what I played so far.

I never played Bloodborne, so this will be fresh to me.

Top Bottom