• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG CX Oled issues with RTX 3080 cards broken G-Sync, Force Chroma Subsampling

skneogaf

The LG C9 supports 4k@120hz hdr gsync using hdmi 2.1 or it will do once LG and nvidia have released tweaks to their drivers and firmwares.

The cac-1085 was supposed to support gsync or vrr but it wasn't able to be done for the launch. Not sure if something can be done on the 1st version but maybe a 2nd version will definitely support it.

I can't remember where it was confirmed to not work but I definitely read it before I bought one.

Its actually not as big a deal as I first thought it would be as I'm not really seeing tearing without gsync.

The adapter is not perfect and I've had a few issues with it like pc restarts and black screens.

I've found myself debating wherever it's worth it anyway as it's not easy to get 4k@120fps on modern games on the highest settings so 1440p using hdmi 2.0b with gsync has still be used by myself at times.

If I can find where I read it I'll post it but I was unable to earlier when I replied to the tweet club 3d did.

skneogaf

God damn it. I ordered this adaptor this afternoon. What’s the fucking point if Gsync isn’t supported? Where does it say that???

ATRFlaw.jpg

Tygeezy

Okay, so what’s the situation with the 3080.... honestly, this thread is difficult to follow.... I thought we had proof that the adaptor displays 120Hz 4K on the C9 with Gsync, but apparently it doesn’t.

Does Gsync work at 120Hz with the C9 or doesn’t it?
It does, but apparently only on Turing cards. I exclusively use 1440 p 120 hz gsync on c9.

SuoGrey

Using a CX 48 w/ a 2080ti over here and it seems to work perfectly fine with g-sync, the chroma thing is only really noticeable on some text but overall in my experience at least for games and nearly all the web browsing I do I forget its even a thing. People must be super attached to old Angelfire and Geocities websites I guess...

dotnotbot

That's great, but I have to contact local LG support to get the update? How the hell does that even work

Unfortunately yes, and it seems like in some regions support has no clue about this special update. I guess the good thing is that they already have the fix in hands and in a few weeks it should be applied via standard fw update.

Unfortunately yes, and it seems like in some regions support has no clue about this special update. I guess the good thing is that they already have the fix in hands and in a few weeks it should be applied via standard fw update.

Even when they are aware, they say to wait for standard fw update. I think Vincent had wrong information from LG...

I found UK support totally useless, when I got my C9 I asked them when do they expect g-sync firmware to drop and they had no clue as to what it was. A week later it was available for download 🤨

does anyone know how to turn OVERSCAN off while in 4K 120Hz mode?

gsnyc firmware is still not out here in germany.

You can get it pushed to your TV set if you email local support asking for it, specifiying your TV's serial number and wired mac adr.

Overscan FW-update is due to Pixel Shift being too aggresive. You can turn off Pixel Shift to fix it. I'm on the new FW 04.90.33 and the overscan caused by pixel shift is not noticeable there.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
so gsync works with this tv? Didnt nvidia said that displayport is required for freesync to work?

i haven't tested this probably, but i have the slight suspicion that HMDI 2.1 VRR works even without gsync enabeled in 120Hz mode.

You can get it pushed to your TV set if you email local support asking for it, specifiying your TV's serial number and wired mac adr.

Overscan FW-update is due to Pixel Shift being too aggresive. You can turn off Pixel Shift to fix it. I'm on the new FW 04.90.33 and the overscan caused by pixel shift is not noticeable there.

great post. thanks for the advice!

Ma-Yuan

I have an issue with my E9 which is basically a C9 set with better sound. I read it might also affect CX as I read on reddit but no solution came from there for the issue

Basically I have sometimes a vertical flickering line when I use my ps5. I can't say why it happens sometimes but it's quiet annoying. If anyone has any suggestions. New cables don't seem to be the solution. And lowering bandwidth is bs in my opinion since you would give up imagine quality. Hope lg fixes it 🙄 if nothing turns up you can do manually.

I have an issue with my E9 which is basically a C9 set with better sound. I read it might also affect CX as I read on reddit but no solution came from there for the issue

Basically I have sometimes a vertical flickering line when I use my ps5. I can't say why it happens sometimes but it's quiet annoying. If anyone has any suggestions. New cables don't seem to be the solution. And lowering bandwidth is bs in my opinion since you would give up imagine quality. Hope lg fixes it 🙄 if nothing turns up you can do manually.

i also have the E9.
your running just 4K/60? than it really shouldn't be any bandwidth issues, as long as you used the provided HDMI cable. could you test if changing the HDMI port changes something?

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

i also have the E9.
your running just 4K/60? than it really shouldn't be any bandwidth issues, as long as you used the provided HDMI cable. could you test if changing the HDMI port changes something?

All ports affected. But it's random if it doesn't show up at boot up its fine all the way. I used the hdmi cable that comes with the PS5 :-/

All ports affected. But it's random if it doesn't show up at boot up its fine all the way. I used the hdmi cable that comes with the PS5 :-/

try changing to another HDMI cable so. 4K/60 should be able to work with most other cables. just to make sure your cable does not have a defect / knack

Ma-Yuan

try changing to another HDMI cable so. 4K/60 should be able to work with most other cables. just to make sure your cable does not have a defect / knack
People on reddit bought new cables didn't fix the issue. I can try a 2.0 cable later. Hoped that maybe a set up option will help. I had no voices in games until I switched from pcm from Bitrate on hdmi setting. In general the PS5 is quiet picky what works and doesn't in my opinion. Needed 3 attempts to install spiderman...

I had no voices in games until I switched from pcm from Bitrate on hdmi setting.

i think that's also an issue on PS4.

if i will get my PS5 eventually (should have been here since wendsday :messenger_face_steam:) i will report if i have the same problems. i have a working HDMI2.1 cable here to test against.

edit: do you have any power cables in direct proximity of your HDMI cable?

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I have a CX 55 and Freesync will not work with 4k/120. Only works with 4k/60FPS. I turned it off as I want the 120Hz instead.

Kuranghi

everything working flawless here with RTX 3080 + C9.
4k@120hz + HDR + 12bpc + Gsync (PC mode)
Only problem I had was the TV losing signal every 2min or so, but changing the cable solved the issue.

Gaming at 4k@120hz is just amazing.

Noice, what you been playing at 4K120 so far?

Kuranghi

Metro Exodus and FarCry 5.
Super hyped to Cyberpunk :messenger_beaming:

Far Cry 5 is pretty nice looking when its maxed out at 4K60, 120 must be amazing for shovel kills haha.

CB is going to be amazing on that card, good luck to you sir.

Last edited:

if i will get my PS5 eventually (should have been here since wendsday :messenger_face_steam:) i will report if i have the same problems. i have a working HDMI2.1 cable here to test against.

so i got my PS5 in the meantime. i've played a few hours now and can not report any flickering issues with the E9 yet. i used the provided cable.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Is this problem possibly caused by the CX's maximum bandwidth of 40GBs/s vs the full 48GBs/s of HDMI 2.1?

YouTube Channel Quantum TV has made numerous videos about this, one of which is below. I know that he's controversial, but maybe he has a point.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Is this problem possibly caused by the CX's maximum bandwidth of 40GBs/s vs the full 48GBs/s of HDMI 2.1?

YouTube Channel Quantum TV has made numerous videos about this, one of which is below. I know that he's controversial, but maybe he has a point.

No, it's not. 40GBps are enough to carry a 4K@120FPS 10bit signal.

sertopico

I was having screen flickering from black to normal on my CX 65 too, when using 4k Gsync 120Hz, with and without HDR, on the desktop, as well as ingame. I bought a better hdmi cable, the problem was still there, but much less present, then I switched from the side HDMI port n.1 to port n. 3 and the problem ceased to occur. Finger crossed, because it might happen again, seems very random to me. It's mandatory also to have the latest nvidia drivers, the previous version was even worse on this regard. Besides, there should be a new firmware for the CX, which has been released in some countries already, that should fix these issues.

Last edited:

sertopico

It does, you just need to set the hdmi port you are using to PC mode. There is a video from a guy which shows it's working after changing that setting.

edit: here

Last edited:

onesvenus

Do you have any examples of the CX successfully conveying a 10-bit-4:4:4 signal @ 120Hz?
I could show you the CX debug menu in Gears 5 but I'm not at home but this HDTVTest claims to be able. I've timestamped where he talks about it but the video description also says it.
I hope that's enough for you.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I could show you the CX debug menu in Gears 5 but I'm not at home but this HDTVTest claims to be able. I've timestamped where he talks about it but the video description also says it.
I hope that's enough for you.

I believe you.

EDIT:

However, if 10-bit-4:4:4 requires 40.1GBs/s, which is the maximum bandwidth of the LG CX, how does audio fit in?

Last edited:

onesvenus

I believe you.

EDIT:

However, if 10-bit-4:4:4 requires 40.1GBs/s, which is the maximum bandwidth of the LG CX, how does audio fit in?
The audio signal has always been multiplexed into the video signal. The HDMI spec papers are a great resource to learn how everything works.
Basically, there are gaps in the transmission (what's called the blanking interval) where the audio is encoded.
The audio bandwith doesn't add to the maximum bandwith. As a consequence of how HDMI works, that means that the video bandwith sets an upper bound on the total audio bandwidth available.

Top Bottom