• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tip for LG OLED owners (and TV gamers in general), care about chroma subsampling!

Whitecrow

Banned
As someone with OCD about image quality, I thought this thread would be helpful to some.

I've been gaming with my C9 for months with the default HDMI input device(PS4 / Console), but just some days ago, I got to know that Console mode doesnt have the full 4:4:4 chroma, but PC mode does.
Then I switched to PC mode (I must say that even when conecting the PC to the same input, th TV was still in Console mode) and what the fuck does it make a difference!!

I know I may come a few years late, but for those around there like me that never cared about chroma subsampling, DO CARE. If before the TV looked good, now looks fkn nuts.

The downside, is that for HDR, there's not enough bandwitdh for 4:4:4 HDR color, so it needs to be set to console mode and force it to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, but the thing is, I think I like more a perfect SDR than a bad HDR implementation (even with the lack of contrast punch) . but I need some more hours of comparing to be sure.

Making this thread just in case there's more people here like me.

Inviusx

As someone with OCD about image quality, I thought this thread would be helpful to some.

I've been gaming with my C9 for months with the default HDMI input device(PS4 / Console), but just some days ago, I got to know that Console mode doesnt have the full 4:4:4 chroma, but PC mode does.
Then I switched to PC mode (I must say that even when conecting the PC to the same input, th TV was still in Console mode) and what the fuck does it make a difference!!

I know I may come a few years late, but for those around there like me that never cared about chroma subsampling, DO CARE. If before the TV looked good, now looks fkn nuts.

The downside, is that for HDR, there's not enough bandwitdh for 4:4:4 HDR color, so it needs to be set to console mode and force it to 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, but the thing is, I think I like more a perfect SDR than a bad HDR implementation (even with the lack of contrast punch) . but I need some more hours of comparing to be sure.

I imagine you have enabled a setting via PC mode that you didn't enable when you had your TV running in Game mode because for gaming there is basically zero visual difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 / 4:2:0.

You sure you didn't enabled Vivid colour or something like that?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

On XSX there should be bandwidth for 4K@60 Hz and 120 Hz RGB 4:4:4 (PS5 probably downsamples chroma at 120 Hz):

PS5 sees to need a FW update to unlock HDMI 2.1 bandwidth and XSX seems to have problems with black levels:

Bonus - PS5 LG best settings:

Last edited:

DanEON

C9 + 3080 owner here. I literally can't see any difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 while gaming (PC mode). Only way to notice difference is when I am reading small texts on windows.

Imtjnotu

On PS5 (with pc set for the input through the home dashboard) it supports 4k60 4:4:4 @ 12bit.

Only on 120hz does the ps5 drop down to 4:2:2

Whitecrow

Banned
I imagine you have enabled a setting via PC mode that you didn't enable when you had your TV running in Game mode because for gaming there is basically zero visual difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 / 4:2:0.

You sure you didn't enabled Vivid colour or something like that?
C9 + 3080 owner here. I literally can't see any difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 while gaming (PC mode). Only way to notice difference is when I am reading small texts on windows.

I dont discard the possibility of being kind of placebo, but I swear I see an improvement. PC mode disables any kind of post process, and I checked it also.
But if with chroma compression the display have trouble displaying one color next to another in text, I dont see why it wouldnt have trouble in games also, since the display doesnt understand if it is displaying text, games, or whatever.

I will bring out my ultra instinct and make pic comparisons now that you made me doubt.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Well I just purchase a LG CX 55.
People know I was having issues with my PLASMA 2012 and it is since February on technical support... well it is dead and now I’m just let it open on my room to learn how TVs circuits works.

I’m now OLED.

PS. I paid R$ 4400 with a promotion... It was cheaper than my PS5.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I thikn the console mode on new c1 is actually full rgb on ps5.
At least this is what it says when I press the green button 8 times

xion4360

I thikn the console mode on new c1 is actually full rgb on ps5.
At least this is what it says when I press the green button 8 times
Its just the ps5 itself...tends to send out RGB full instead of limited when its supported.. its fine though

AGRacing

On PS5 (with pc set for the input through the home dashboard) it supports 4k60 4:4:4 @ 12bit.

Only on 120hz does the ps5 drop down to 4:2:2
Ok that's actually useful information... thanks.

Have you been switching back and forth without needing to change settings after they're "set"?

Well I just purchase a LG CX 55.
People know I was having issues with my PLASMA 2012 and it is since February on technical support... well it is dead and now I’m just let it open on my room to learn how TVs circuits works.

I’m now OLED.

PS. I paid R$ 4400 with a promotion... It was cheaper than my PS5.

Join Us GIF by memecandy

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Btw - I get 12 bit full 444 on ps5 but full rgb 10 bit on pc (but 120hz).
Is this difference worth anything ?

Imtjnotu

Ok that's actually useful information... thanks.

Have you been switching back and forth without needing to change settings after they're "set"?
No need to change anything. As long as the hdmi input you are using is set to PC it works and stays that way

Top Bottom