• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG CX Oled issues with RTX 3080 cards broken G-Sync, Force Chroma Subsampling

00_Zer0

Apparently there is an issue with LG CX Oled TV's forcing Chroma Subsampling at 4k 120hz. 4:4:4 @ 4K120 isn't possible on the CX, and it forces 4:2:2 instead.

Here is a link to the article with a quote from it: The FPS Review

The FPS Review said:
If you’re thinking of pairing NVIDIA’s new flagship graphics card with one of LG’s CX Class OLED TVs, you may be in for a sub-optimal display experience. Users on AVS Forum, HardForum, and reddit are complaining about forced chroma subsampling in 4K/120 Hz mode, whereby uncompressed 4:4:4 signals are being delivered in 4:2:2. That’s a little odd for a display with HDMI 2.1 ports rated for 40 Gbps of bandwidth.

If you go to the link, there are other testimonies from Reddit, AVSForum, and HardForum with these same problems.

Unfortunately, in preparation of RTX 3080 and the new consoles, I just bought the 48 inch CX at Microcenter. The good thing is I haven't opened it yet and am within the returning deadline. I'm debating on getting a 55 inch C9. I would then get 4:4:4 back, and be able to use 12 bit color.

EDIT-took out false information. According to DanEON in this thread RTNGS never had a proper 2.1 source to test the C9, but confirms that with a HDMI 2.1 source VRR@120HZ should work fine, but waiting on RTNGS to get a 3080 so they can officially do more tests.

I would also like the ability to be able to use Freesync as LG never updated C9 for it, and it looks like they aren't going to. I have to say that for a $1500 TV whether C9 or CX, LG should update these TVs to satisfy there customers and get these issues fixed. Now what to decide...keep it, return it and get a C9 or return it and wait for something better. It seems any way I do it will be a difficult choice.

Edit-According to Vincent Teoh on HDTVTEST LG is working on firmware fixes for these problems on both 2019 and 2020 models. Thanks to FromDuskTillGameOver for the heads up.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

This is why I suggest waiting for VRR/G-Sync/HDMI 2.1 problems to be sorted before diving in to that side of TV tech. Someone said that VRR "had no problems" and had been in TVs for years so its definitely mature.

Right, thats why stuff like this keeps happening over and over, even Sony isn't immune to having caveats for years (Weird problems with near black handling in trash-quality content so not really a problem if you watch discs) even thought they tend to hold off until things are a bit more established, but especially with LG.

They want you to buy the new set, so they won't update the old one unfortunately. They are all a bunch of mild-bastards.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Wonder if the issue is on the TV side or the GPU, though both can receive firmware updates these days.
Maybe return when the window is almost up and wait for issue to be resolved, then rebuy?

00_Zer0

Wonder if the issue is on the TV side or the GPU, though both can receive firmware updates these days.
Maybe return when the window is almost up and wait for issue to be resolved, then rebuy?
Reading some of the replies from links within the first article I linked(from reddit) it seems G-Sync issues are an Nvidia problem, and the forced chroma subsampling seems to be an LG problem. No one knows if it is a hardware issue that can never be fixed or a software issue where LG releases an updated firmware that fixes the problem of forced chroma subsampling....if they even will?

PhoenixTank

Reading some of the replies from links within the first article I linked(from reddit) it seems G-Sync issues are an Nvidia problem, and the forced chroma subsampling seems to be an LG problem. No one knows if it is a hardware issue that can never be fixed or a software issue where LG releases an updated firmware that fixes the problem of forced chroma subsampling....if they even will?
Unfortunate. Yeah, you don't want to be left holding the bag at the very least. Seems like a serious issue on either side, best option is to make some noise with support and make sure you don't end up with a finalised/nonreturnable purchase, I guess.

Siri

Banned
VRR not working above 60Hz is the bigger issue here. If Gsync doesn’t work beyond 60Hz then unlocking 60Hz is pointless.

I will not game on a fixed frequency display ever again. A huge letdown if this can’t be resolved.

onesvenus

Was 4K/120Hz/12bitHDR ever possible? I bought a CX a couple of months ago and some reviews mentioned that due to their HDMI 2.1 not being full-bandwith that would not work.
Another thing is that CX has a 10-bit panel so I don't know how 12bit HDR should be displayed

00_Zer0

VRR not working above 60Hz is the bigger issue here. If Gsync doesn’t work beyond 60Hz then unlocking 60Hz is pointless.

I will not game on a fixed frequency display ever again. A huge letdown if this can’t be resolved.

Just reading the problems of both the C9 and CX can be confusing which one lacks certain features, and which one runs ok.

It seems Gsync has problems on both the C9 and CX. People are reporting black screens and having to disable the feature all together. This problem seems to be on Nvidia's side and hopefully it's fixed in an update as other people are saying some other pc gaming monitors are reporting the same issue.

Here are the differences and problems of both the C9 and CX:

Edit-it seems DanEON confirms that C9 can support 4K VRR at 120HZ.... It's just that RTNGS didn't have a 2.1 source at the time. Waiting on RTNGS to get a 2.1 source so they can change their official results.

C9 doesn't suffer from the forced Chroma subsampling only the CX models do. This problem seems to be on LG's side, which if a hardware issue cannot be fixed, but if it's a software issue then LG could release a new firmware update to fix all CX models.

CX offers AMD Freesync, but C9 does not and it doesn't look like LG refuses to update the C9's to offer an AMD solution.

Finally, C9 offers full 12 bit 48Gps support, but CX does not. It only offers up to 10 bit 40GBps, and it looks like it will always be this way on the CX models.

Last edited:

DanEON

Just reading the problems of both the C9 and CX can be confusing which one lacks certain features, and which one runs ok.

It seems Gsync has problems on both the C9 and CX. People are reporting black screens and having to disable the feature all together. This problem seems to be on Nvidia's side and hopefully it's fixed in an update as other people are saying some other pc gaming monitors are reporting the same issue.

Here are the differences and problems of both the C9 and CX:

VRR at 4K is only possible at 60Hz on the C9 according to RTNG's. Not sure if Nvidia's GSync will be constrained by this.

C9 doesn't suffer from the forced Chroma subsampling only the CX models do. This problem seems to be on LG's side, which of a hardware issue cannot be fixed, but if it's a software issue then LG could release a new firmware update to fix all CX models.

CX offers AMD Freesync, but C9 does not and it doesn't look like LG refuses to update the C9's to offer an AMD solution.

Finally, C9 offers full 12 bit 48Gps support, but CX does not. It only offers up to 10 bit 40GBps, and it looks like it will always be this way on the CX models.
See my post above

REDRZA MWS

Got a 77” GX. Love it. Xbox one X takes advantage of the HDMI 2.1 features. Auto low latency mode, VRR, it’s a pleasure. Cant wait for both new consoles. Got my PS5 pre ordered at target, I’ll get a series x tomorrow...... can’t wait to play on my GX.

DanEON

Here is the prove that the Gsync issue is on the 3000 series (driver probably):

C9 at 4k/120hz/HDR/10bits/Gsync with an 2080Ti

Guys, C9 supports VRR at 4k@120hz. At rtings shows 60hz because they didn't have hdmi 2.1 source to test at the time of the review. While the CX they could use 4k@120 with 4:2:0 chroma subsampling (which the C9 can't do with hdmi 2.0).

Ah thank god!!! 🙏

Siri

Banned
Here is the prove that the Gsync issue is on the 3000 series (driver probably):

C9 at 4k/120hz/HDR/10bits/Gsync with an 2080Ti

Is the adaptor available for purchase? And does HDR work as well?

EDIT: never mind... the adaptor has way too many issues, judging by the comments at Amazon.

Last edited:
If it were me I'd just wait for LG to fix the chroma 444 issue, nvidia will fix the g-sync issue.

422 doesn't make them much of a difference strictly for games (consoles target 422), it hurts PC desktop text rendering the most.

The CX also supports LFC (low frame rate compensation) which the C9 does not, so anything below the 40-12Hz VRR range wont see a benefit.

The problem with LG is while they are fast on features they do not do a great deal of testing of them so the spit and polish comes later. LG really need to make a PC preset alongside standard, cinema, game etc so their QA people dont forget to test it, hiding it away by renaming HDMI input to PC is stupid.

DanEON

When? Do I have to get firmware for the adapter? The latest Nvidia driver? I have this adapter and it didn't support Gsync.
I dont know, I am just posting what the manufacturer of the adapter (club) said on twitter.
About the driver, I was saying that the gsync thing its probably an driver issue from nvidia, and it must be solved soon with an driver update.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I dont know, I am just posting what the manufacturer of the adapter (club) said on twitter.

Shit. This was the only hangup I had with using this adapter. That and sometimes the screen turns black when you start a game so you have to unplug it and plug it back in. Thanks for the heads up I would have never known. Hopefully Club3D doesn't tell me its for newer revisions of the adapter, I will be pissed.

00_Zer0

If it were me I'd just wait for LG to fix the chroma 444 issue, nvidia will fix the g-sync issue.

422 doesn't make them much of a difference strictly for games (consoles target 422), it hurts PC desktop text rendering the most.

The CX also supports LFC (low frame rate compensation) which the C9 does not, so anything below the 40-12Hz VRR range wont see a benefit.

The problem with LG is while they are fast on features they do not do a great deal of testing of them so the spit and polish comes later. LG really need to make a PC preset alongside standard, cinema, game etc so their QA people dont forget to test it, hiding it away by renaming HDMI input to PC is stupid.
That's why I'm about to say screw it and keep what I got. I have a gaming PC specifically for playing on an HDTV, and a laptop for anything outside of gaming so this won't affect me much, but it's still a shame that this happened. I still think evern with these problems LG Oled's are the best TV to game on compared to other brands and the features they offer.

Siri

Banned
Does anyone here actually own the Club3d adaptor?

RTX 2080 TI - LG C9 here.

I also have Dolby Atmos passing through my HDMI cable into my C9 and to my Sonos Arc - I only discovered last week that I could do this. No way am I giving up Dolby Atmos for the few pC games that support it. It’s anazing!

MrS

Banned
This seems like a big oversight that I'm sure they'll work hard to fix. If not, nothing in life is perfect.

Siri

Banned
Before I hit the buy button on the adaptor I’m wracking my brain trying to think which games I’m actually playing that will go well above 60 FPS maxed out at 4K - it’s not very many.

Must... try... to hold out... for... the 3080.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

120 hz gsync works on my geforce 2070 super at 1440 p on my lg c9. I think this is a bug in the new amphere cards. Reports are even 1440 p 120 hz gsync doesnt work.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not according to the RTNG's article I Iinked.
You need to read the article again because you’re unintentionally misleading people. Rtings weren’t able to test the C9 using an HDMI 2.1 source at the time of writing so they said VRR was limited to 60 Hz since that was the info they had at that time. I’m sure they’ll be able to test just fine once they get a 3080.

00_Zer0

You need to read the article again because you’re unintentionally misleading people. Rtings weren’t able to test the C9 using an HDMI 2.1 source at the time of writing so they said VRR was limited to 60 Hz since that was the info they had at that time. I’m sure they’ll be able to test just fine once they get a 3080.
Read my edit at the OP and in another post in here. I edited further. Sorry.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

This and a few other reasons is why I'm waiting for 2021 TV's

Games at 60 fps will have lower latency at 120 hz than they will at 60 hz. This 120 hz gsync bug is an nvidia bug with the new amphere cards. I've been using 1440 p 120 hz gsync plus hdr for almost a year now with a geforce 2070 super. There is no reason to wait on buying these tvs.

Last edited:

A.Romero

All this side of tech is a mess.

I have a 2080 super that I normally play through a receiver that goes into mid/high end Samsung TV. Somehow the HDMI port on the card stopped working. I can still get a signal to my receiver with a DP adapter, however I haven't been able to get a reasonable priced DP-HDMI adapter that supports HDR. I even got one from Amazon that is advertised as compatible and works for 4k/60hz but no HDR signal.

It's just not very user friendly and that's coming from an enthusiast who can read and understand technical documentation, tutorials, reviews, etc. It's basically impossible for a casual user.

Reallink

Bandwidth wise, the CX can handle 10 bit 4:4:4 4K/120, but NOT 12 bit 4:4:4 4K/120. Not sure whether Nvidia's drivers let you explicitly select 10 bit or not.

Last edited:
I hope they fix this soon. I was planning on replacing my current 40" VA panel with a 48" CX. Then again I only have a 2070S and I'm not upgrading yet, so I'd have to use a dp/hdmi 2.1 adapter to get 4K120, and that would probably break g-sync too...

DanEON

Bandwidth wise, the CX can handle 10 bit 4:4:4 4K/120, but NOT 12 bit 4:4:4 4K/120. Not sure whether Nvidia's drivers let you explicitly select 10 bit or not.
You can select 10 bit now with the new 3000 series. Nvidia has confirmed.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Should have gotten the C9, as it supports the full bandwidth of HDMI 2.1: 48Gbps. You'd have no issues with compression.

skneogaf

I have a LG C9, rtx 2080ti and a club 3d CAC-1085 displayport 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 adapter.

The adapter definitely doesn't give gsync which I read it doesn't before I bought it.

Possibly a 2nd revision will.

I use it with a 3 metre club 3d 48gbps hdmi 2.1 cable so I use 4k@120hz 4:2:2 10 bit hdr.

Siri

Banned
I have a LG C9, rtx 2080ti and a club 3d CAC-1085 displayport 1.4 to hdmi 2.1 adapter.

The adapter definitely doesn't give gsync which I read it doesn't before I bought it.

Possibly a 2nd revision will.

I use it with a 3 metre club 3d 48gbps hdmi 2.1 cable so I use 4k@120hz 4:2:2 10 bit hdr.

God damn it. I ordered this adaptor this afternoon. What’s the fucking point if Gsync isn’t supported? Where does it say that???

Siri

Banned
Okay, so what’s the situation with the 3080.... honestly, this thread is difficult to follow.... I thought we had proof that the adaptor displays 120Hz 4K on the C9 with Gsync, but apparently it doesn’t.

Does Gsync work at 120Hz with the C9 or doesn’t it?

Top Bottom