• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO City Undercover for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC first trailer, details

Schnozberry

How did the funding arrangement go for this? Wasn't it exclusive to the Wii U because Nintendo paid for part of the development, or maybe the publishing costs? I can't remember how it went down.

I'm curious because I'm wondering if they get a cut of sales on other platforms.

How did the funding arrangement go for this? Wasn't it exclusive to the Wii U because Nintendo paid for part of the development, or maybe the publishing costs? I can't remember how it went down.

I'm curious because I'm wondering if they get a cut of sales on other platforms.

There's really no way any of us could know the answer to this. Probably the only thing we know for sure is that Nintendo had some level of direct involvement with the Wii U version of the game, due to Satoru Iwata being listed as a producer in the credits.

I bought this game and just could not play it. I'm sure it's great but the load times were horrible and one of the worst I've experienced. If the remaster is cheap, has two player co-op, and the load times are substantionally better, I'll buy it.

Probably just an exclusively deal, dev funding can be part of this. Cheaper than buying it out whole and if the WiiU had been successful then relaunching it on other consoles would be less attractive since most of the target audience would have already played it. As it stands its a high quality game that never reached its potential.

EDarkness

I'm guessing either WB bought out Nintendo's stake to bring the game over and probably had to make an NS version, too. It was strange that the LEGO guys (who make an insane number of these games and seem to be running out of ideas) would let this stay on the Wii U. I bet they needed to pad out the release list so they'd pay to get this on all the other systems. Nintendo was obviously okay with that.

phanphare

Banned
oh wow, I skipped this on Wii U

in for Switch

Man I feel bad for the Wii U, it got completely sucked dry of all it's exclusives.

as a day 1 Wii U owner this is the best scenario. so many great games didn't reach the audience that they could have because of being on the Wii U. they should honestly port every good game on Wii U so more people can experience them.

Astral Dog

It did? Bayonetta 2, DK, Xenoblade X, Pikmin 3, can think of a lot more that has stayed exclusive.
Though I am expecting most of these to be ported to Switch ha ha, but I suspect some will stay on Wii U.

The vita is the more tragic tale to me. Only exclusives I can think of it still having is KZ Mercenary and Uncharted: GA. I guess P4G and P4DAN too kinda.
I think Iwsta saud they would find a way to move the Wii U librsry to the next system (and honestly,there isn't anything wrong with that they are still Nintendo exclusive they had their time on Wii U)

The lesser. non Nintendo published stuff might find their way to other platforms

Schnozberry

There's really no way any of us could know the answer to this. Probably the only thing we know for sure is that Nintendo had some level of direct involvement with the Wii U version of the game, due to Satoru Iwata being listed as a producer in the credits.

I remember conversations about it at the time it released, but I'll have to search for the details. I know TT had struggled to find funding for a non-licensed game, so it makes sense that Nintendo would have been on the hook for some of it.

This is an excellent announcement by the way. While the game is great, Nintendo inexplicably produced too few copies and refused to publish any more, and it became a total pain in the ass to find a copy down the road. Everyone should be happy that this underrated gem will become more available.

You're missing the part about the Best Buy listing saying it has two-player co-op. =P
Well, good thing I still haven't gotten around to getting the Wii U version. I play most of the Lego games with my girlfriend and the Wii U version lacking co-op was pretty disappointing. Sad I won't get the little Nintendo flourishes though.

Schnozberry

Probably just an exclusively deal, dev funding can be part of this. Cheaper than buying it out whole and if the WiiU had been successful then relaunching it on other consoles would be less attractive since most of the target audience would have already played it. As it stands its a high quality game that never reached its potential.

I'm not arguing against the game being out on other platforms. I really enjoyed it personally, and my daughter still plays it to this day. I'll probably double dip on Switch just to play it without the unreasonable loading times.

OldRoutes

That's great! Never had a chance to play it on the Wii U but I've heard great things about it!

Anything added beside 2 players co-op?

Dragoshi1

Hopefully they make the T-Rex unlockable for free roam this time.

Absolutely stupid that it's given to you for only 5 minutes or so.

daxgame

Never got it on WiiU because the loading times issue alwas worried me.
I suppose it will be resolved on Switch and if so I'll get it there

Luigiv

But have they fixed the load times?
Only thing after about the Wii u version

If you hated bloodbornes loading times pre patch you'll go mad at these load times

Fantastic game though , everyone should play it

Even without extra optimisation, it should have somewhat improved load times by sheer brute force alone (faster media and better CPUs). But yeah, it's anyone's guess as to how much they'll improve by.

This is considered the best lego game right? I have only played marvel super heroes at launch on ps4 so I'm interested in thid for ps4 as well

Mr-Joker

Banned
Man I feel bad for the Wii U, it got completely sucked dry of all it's exclusives.

It still has some exclusives and beside at least this way more people will get to play the game.

I don't understand even what is "current" and what is "new" gen consoles here

PS4, Xbone are current with the Switch being new generation.

I wonder how the game will be without the map on the GamePad, and if the Switch will offer this feature.

Yeah, I want to see how the game play will work without the pad.

Now if Bayonetta or W101 were to happen on PS4 you might have a point.

Which will never happen as Nintendo funded and published Bayonetta 2 and they straight up own The Wonderful 101.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Now my main conundrum is what i should be buying for Switch versus PS4. I guess i'll buy this for Switch as it fits Nintendo's image more.

mclem

It'd be intriguing to see the credits of the new version. Of course, you'd have to assume the direct Nintendo references will be excised (and replaced? I wonder how
you'll get to Lady Liberty Island?
)

That's a really confusing press release.

I mean 'current and new generation consoles for the first time'? So are they saying Switch is next gen, but the WiiU was last gen? So does that mean Nintendo had 2 7th gen consoles? Or that the Wii was a second 6th gen system? And why would WiiU be 7th gen and the Switch not 8th gen?

I know it's just meaningless marketing bollocks, but it's such utter nonsense it completely killed my ability to feel excited by anything else they wrote!

Still, yay! Lego City Undercover on PS4! My fiancée will be delighted.

That's a really confusing press release.

I mean 'current and new generation consoles for the first time'? So are they saying Switch is next gen, but the WiiU was last gen? So does that mean Nintendo had 2 7th gen consoles? Or that the Wii was a second 6th gen system? And why would WiiU be 7th gen and the Switch not 8th gen?

I know it's just meaningless marketing bollocks, but it's such utter nonsense it completely killed my ability to feel excited by anything else they wrote!

Still, yay! Lego City Undercover on PS4! My fiancée will be delighted.
Generations are pretty meaningless now, consistency has flown out the window.

With all this talk of all the Wii U exclusives being dead, I kind of would love that but don't feel that way unless they support Wii Remotes and Gamecube controllers and the like. The idea of re-buying Mario Kart and Smash and Mario 3D World and the like but needing to buy all brand new controllers for multiplayer has zero appeal to this frugal gamer. :-/

Top Bottom