• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga Confirms ‘Joker 2’ Role Opposite Joaquin Phoenix in New Musical Teaser

Pagusas

Elden Member
I love the zealous nature of them making the sequel a musical and hope it performs well

Joker 1 was Todd Phillips' love letter to Scorsese in a DCU wrapper. This is going to be him paying homage to other films

The average nerd is too dumb to understand. It's exactly why they panned Last Jedi

😤
...you were making such a good point then had to go in ruin it with an extremely bad comparison to Last Jedi... whyyyyy. I'm sorry, but I will fully derail a thread to stop any praise of that shit from happening, its bad film making and should never ever be in the same breath as Scorsese.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If we want more movies starring a psychotic Joker, this is the way to go. Every entry could be a new psychosis.
Ohh imagine the final one being a Bollywood film :messenger_grinning_smiling:

200.gif

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm pretty optimistic about this. Harley even has that exaggerated New York style accent that Gaga can do. It's pretty much perfect casting, and they're actually going to try something new.

Phoenix is a good singer as well by the way, in case you never saw the Johnny Cash movie.

Last edited:
that sillouette of her in the teaser leads me to think shes going to be styled out of date. looks kinda victorian or like 1800s wild west.

im pretty optimistic tbh. I like both performers. its being billed as a musical, but i think its going to be smartly done....essentially they will be killing, thieving, torching, causing mayhem while singing and dancing through it all in pure anarchy and chaos. with maybe 1-2 songs of tender depression and romance

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
...you were making such a good point then had to go in ruin it with an extremely bad comparison to Last Jedi... whyyyyy. I'm sorry, but I will fully derail a thread to stop any praise of that shit from happening, its bad film making and should never ever be in the same breath as Scorsese.

You like the Packers
I like Last Jedi

We can't all be winners 🤭

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm not really into musicals but this sounds interesting. i want to see how they do it. and of course if lady gaga is in it then i'm watching it.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I'm not a huge fan of musicals although I consider Blues Brothers the greatest musical of all time.

I'm not a huge fan of the Joker movie. I thought it was a great performance in a ok film.

I have no thoughts on Gaga as an actress, I've never seen her in anything but the girl has some pipes and can sing her ass off so in a musical I guess that is something.

A Joker movie without Batman is ok, once. I don't need or desire to have more of that. And since there is no current live action Batman that can be force feed into this narrative, I say make another Batman and never tell the audience who is playing him. I don't need any Bruce Wayne screen time or Wayne Manor. Don't need Alfred or Robin or even the Batmobile.
Batman needs to be in this with some significant screen time.

Even if the Batman that is chasing him throughout the movie is a construct of the Joker's own psychosis.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Did they have to CG out her dick bulge?

RAÏSanÏa

Grease was good

But nope most musicials aren't my thing
Can appreciate that.

Repo: The Genetic Opera was so good.

The recently deceased Paul Sorvino had a role as Rotti Largo.

See your knife.
See it glide.
See it slice!
Who's your Night Surgeon?

A little inspiration from this movie in Joker 2 would be welcome.

Can appreciate that.

Repo: The Genetic Opera was so good.

The recently deceased Paul Sorvino had a role as Rotti Largo.

See your knife.
See it glide.
See it slice!
Who's your Night Surgeon?

A little inspiration from this movie in Joker 2 would be welcome.

Still not interested in seeing Joker 2 due to it being a musical

FunkMiller

This will probably make annoyingly large amounts of money off people who like Lalaland, and comic book fans who will desperately pretend they like musicals for two hours.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
I've never seen gaga act but she cannot be so bad that she spoils a Todd Philips x Joaquin Phoenix movie.

Calm down with the musicalphobia guys, it's gonna be worth the watch for sure whatever genre it is.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I've never seen gaga act but she cannot be so bad that she spoils a Todd Philips x Joaquin Phoenix movie.

Calm down with the musicalphobia guys, it's gonna be worth the watch for sure whatever genre it is.
It'll be better than the 1st movie, easily, if it manages to capitalize on half the potential.

Has anyone here even listened to how Harley Quinn talks in the cartoon? It's over the top and almost musical. What must the world look like from inside her demented mind? Someone with a psycho smile and permanent happiness. She could easily see the world in a musical hallucination, even when it's dark and violent, everyone would be singing their dialogue. It's got potential to be a genius move.

Ionian

It'll be better than the 1st movie, easily, if it manages to capitalize on half the potential.

Has anyone here even listened to how Harley Quinn talks in the cartoon? It's over the top and almost musical. What must the world look like from inside her demented mind? Someone with a psycho smile and permanent happiness. She could easily see the world in a musical hallucination, even when it's dark and violent, everyone would be singing their dialogue. It's got potential to be a genius move.
Agreed. The first joker film was his downfall as it dealt with mental trauma. He hallucinate the whole time
. Or does he?
People might hate it for ladygaga, news to you though, you missed the point of the film

The haters are trippin' big time just because they hear "musical" and shut their brains down. This is the absolute perfect casting to pull something like this off.

I have more confidence in this movie being great than any other "superhero" movie announced right now across DC or Marvel.

UnNamed

Banned
Lady Gaga is like Jared Leto, if you find a good director to direct, and limit them, they will show their full potential like in A Star is Born and BR 2049.
Give them total freedom and this will lead to that clusterfuck called Gucci movie

RAÏSanÏa

With the funding and oversight of Arkham, a musical as a form of therapy for Joker that leaves the stage for the street sounds about right. Oscar potential.

Top Bottom