• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Epic say Unreal PS5 demo is also targeting Xbox Series X

onQ123

So why didn't you post a title that was better? That's the only question in this whole derail. You're complaining that a mod changed your reposted clickbait title into something less clickbaity, but still clickbaity. Plus your tag is on point in that case.

I posted the article as it was which I always do when posting a article

Radical_3d

By the way the new title is not what Epic said

Right they change the title to something that's not true the demo was for PS5 but the engine is for all platforms

“The demo we revealed [on Wednesday] is running on PS5 because that’s been our target platform for this particular experience,” a spokesperson for Epic told Kotaku in an email yesterday. “UE5, with core technologies like Niagara VFX and Chaos physics and destruction—and the newly revealed Nanite virtualized geometry and Lumen dynamic global illumination—is also targeting Xbox Series X.”

When pressed about if the demo was designed specifically for PS5 and couldn’t run on Xbox Series X the spokesperson simply said, “We aren’t running it on XBSX.”
Idk what is so hard to understand, people. Everyone and their mothers have been reporting marvels about the PS5 to credited journalist like Jason Schreier. That the important part of it was it’s SSD. Those are no indie devs, are big studios who already knew before us that the SX is the most powerful machine. Can’t you guys live with that? More powerful less innovative? I can certainly live with my more powerful less innovative PS4 since the Switch and the Wii U had SSD.

GAF has been convincing me for months that the PS5 SSD will shine in first party titles, and now its about 3rd parties again ?
That’s the wrong part of GAF. Everyone is implementing a good streaming workflow in their games since both consoles have insufficient RAM for their power.

Last edited:
Except for Bend, most Sony first party studios use their own custom in-house engine. So, Days Gone 2 is the best Playtation will get from this deal.
The real demonstration of Unreal Engine 5 capabilities will come from Xbox Game Studios.

Well now you metion it yeah very few games Sony makes that uses unreal so what would be the point of Sony marketing deal with epic like people say to push the ps5 ? Doesn't make sense not to go with ms then and use the xsx to showcase the engine but they didn't for reasons we don't know yet .

cormack12

Gold Member
The man getting mad about the question already makes it suspicious... just saying.

I don’t see why the second jornal can’t think of the second title.

lol, it doesn't matter. Reporting facts is meant to be that. The press aren't the courts or prosecution. Both those statements as headlines are accurate. It speaks to the integrity of the journalist and the publication as to what they choose to go with. Clickbait, seedy, disgusting publications will usually pick the clickbait one to generate hate clicks and glory clicks. Aside from the mistake about the 'demo', the title is now a direct quote from the epic source. How can that be misleading or misinterpreted?

longdi

Banned
That would be a waste though wouldn't it and what would the point be to lie this early ? , As soon as the df head to heads start at the beginning of the gen when they need to actually sell consoles it's not going to bode well if it was all 100% lies and marketing I mean why design it that way in the first place over raw power especially as theres not much design cost difference between the consoles It'll be interesting to say the least when the gen starts two different philosophy's in action .
There is no lying just stealing the first light, makes the deepest impression for casuals and fanboys

Just my opinion, but if MS wants to do an UE5 demo, it should be a completely different demo. Myriad of reasons, but just one example: as amazing as the Lumen/Nanite demo was, we've already seen it. It won't wow the same way twice just because it's running on a different platform.

Plus this way we could get two different/unique demos possibly showing off different aspects of UE5's feature set

My guess is

PS5
Render 8k assets at a cost of resolution aswell as fast LoDs and go far with it

Series x
Resolution will be higher but asset streaming will be more minimal and the assets will be more 4k and the lods will be lightly less due to the storage speeds

I mean, maybe?

But this completely ignores the ML and DLSS-type optimizations in XSX's hardware to assist with those very type of things. Also I doubt 2.4 GB/s raw sequential read speed is too slow for 8K asset streaming, especially if using the advantages of Velocity Architecture and DirectStorage in tandem.

It would probably need a tad more optimization for similar results, but the results should be very comparable between the two and not to the degree suggested in your post.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Of course it is a marketing deal, that's the only reason they were right lipped and non-committal on the other console. I guarantee Epic has it running on high end PC's and ported it over to PS5.

They could also port it over to the XSX, but they have a contract that probably makes that impossible and even if not, what's their incentive to do so?

Could it run better on XSX? Probably yes, but by how much who knows. Regardless, I am hyped for UE5.

GHG

Gold Member
GAF has been convincing me for months that the PS5 SSD will shine in first party titles, and now its about 3rd parties again ?

So the first party games won't also show it's strengths?

The reason the whole discussion came up in the first place was because rightly or wrongly many people thought 3rd party devs wouldn't give a hoot about the faster SSD in the PS5.

You know, the whole thing about how it's easier to be able to increase resolution and framerate rather than show of the capabilities of a high bandwidth SSD.

That's now been flipped on its head due to the fact that the most popular game engine this side of unity has built in technology that will take advantage of the extra speed.

So suddenly (and conveniently), we are now supposed to believe that it's Xbox who are poised to gain more from this technology rather than the platform Epic selected to show off their new tech on?

I don't know how you cope with all this winning.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Of course it is a marketing deal, that's the only reason they were right lipped and non-committal on the other console. I guarantee Epic has it running on high end PC's and ported it over to PS5.

They could also port it over to the XSX, but they have a contract that probably makes that impossible and even if not, what's their incentive to do so?

Could it run better on XSX? Probably yes, but by how much who knows. Regardless, I am hyped for UE5.

Yup! I also dont think it cost Sony much, maybe an endorsement here and there.
I mean the demo was running without AI, 1440p and not even stable 30fps. 🤷‍♀️
Im also sure MS have their own demo deals ready to show monthly.

Virex

Banned
Sounds like your standard marketing deal.

Also if Epic hasn't ported the demo to Series X what's MS supposed to do? Break into Epic and steal it?

Gyfzn3e.gif

iHaunter

Sounds like a marketing deal, Sony pays some pennies to talk about software to cover up their hardware disadvantage. 🤷‍♀️

You wouldn't be able to fully replicate this On XSX due to SSD deficiency. 18% slower hardware vs 50% slower SSD is too stark a contrast. Though I don't doubt Unreal Engine 5 will be on all 3 consoles.

Edit: You guys can LOL all you want. It's a matter of fact not opinion. You wouldn't be able to load all of these textures seamlessly on XSX due to the SSD limitations. Locally stored assets need to reach the data long before the GPU and CPU get involved. I was also mistaken, SSD differences are not 50%, closer to 115%.

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
If this was a marketing deal why did Sony totally ignore it? None of their social media pointed towards the announcement, there was no PlayStation blog post, and they didn’t even upload the demo to the official PlayStation Youtube channel.

Maybe, just maybe Epic made a demo to show off PS5 because PS4 was the market leader and many people who bought a PS4 might *shockingly* be interested in the PS5 🤯🤯🤯

I didn't realize Sony ignored it. Maybe they know the tech demo is unrealistic for an actual PS5 game? That is very interesting.

Vick

Gold Member
As Epic stated in the interview with Geoff Keighley the demo will run on other systems but with less detail.

My take is that the Series X version could even run at higher resolution than the PS5 one but with less polygonal detail.
That’s likely the case, instead of higher resolution though (with these reconstruction tecniques i don’t think it’s worthy), some additional ray traced effects such as reflections and better AO would be preferable imo.

Just my opinion, but if MS wants to do an UE5 demo, it should be a completely different demo. Myriad of reasons, but just one example: as amazing as the Lumen/Nanite demo was, we've already seen it. It won't wow the same way twice just because it's running on a different platform.

Plus this way we could get two different/unique demos possibly showing off different aspects of UE5's feature set

I mean, maybe?

But this completely ignores the ML and DLSS-type optimizations in XSX's hardware to assist with those very type of things. Also I doubt 2.4 GB/s raw sequential read speed is too slow for 8K asset streaming, especially if using the advantages of Velocity Architecture and DirectStorage in tandem.

It would probably need a tad more optimization for similar results, but the results should be very comparable between the two and not to the degree suggested in your post.

Not to bust ur bubble but with that software its not gonna make up for the speed as what the ps5 have thats like saying the same thing about the gpu on ps5

Drewpee

Banned
Except for Bend, most Sony first party studios use their own custom in-house engine. So, Days Gone 2 is the best Playtation will get from this deal.
The real demonstration of Unreal Engine 5 capabilities will come from Xbox Game Studios.

That is part of the reason I was surprised to see Epic work with Sony for the tech demo and not Microsoft. There has to be some type of strain between Microsoft and Epic somewhere. I wonder if it is related to the Epic Store.

What if Sony signed an exclusive deal with Epic to bring their first party games to Epic's store? That would explain the relationship.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Epic is being very wishy-washy. “We love all our children” and other such non-committal comments.

Compare this with their utter transparency on the demo being 1440p, and how all aspects of the demo were brought to life and perform.

Until they come out and directly say that this tech demo isn’t possible, as is, on a Series X, I’m inclined to believe that this is a profitable co-marketing deal with Sony that they understandably don’t want to break.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
From the article UE5 is supported on Xbox Series X (this was obvious, the engine can be used in multiple ways not just the way that was demonstrated and will probably pop up even on Switch and PS4)
So it supports all the features
But what we saw in the demo?
When pressed about if the demo was designed specifically for PS5 and couldn’t run on Xbox Series X the spokesperson simply said, “We aren’t running it on XBSX.”
So the question of if the demo is possible on XSX is still unanswered
All we know is
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Sounds like a marketing deal, Sony pays some pennies to talk about software to cover up their hardware disadvantage. 🤷‍♀️

Lol. Nothing in that demonstration looked like a disadvantage.

As with previous generations, the depth of the game studio 's talent pool will reveal what the hardware can do.

I'm not worried about the Series X being able to pull that demo off. I only wonder if it will be with brute force or with optimizing finesse?

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Lol who actually thinks that this cant run on the Series X? The XSX is more powerful so if anything it would run better on Xbox even. Its clearly a marketing thing and sony just doesnt want to mention Xbox.
I really can't see why it wouldn't be able to.
Why would they make a multiplatform engine that only runs on one platform.
It's common sense Xbox Series X can run it.
But watching people damage control over it is amusing

geordiemp

People spouting marketing terms again I see. Sounds good.

So, last gen games take 5GB of RAM that was available,

Stage 1 : should be able to load up a last gen game under 1 second easily, does RAM even need to be full to start..

Stage 2, stream 8K megapixels in nanoseconds within a frame with low latency and coherency. Does not matter what demo it is, players have infinite war chests, engine exists....

Lets see things get to stage 1 first, thats just fast streaming, stage 2 requires more.

We have not seen either yet.

Unreal engine will run on all platforms, does not mean it can do 8k asset voxel streaming in real time on all systems. I fail to see the logic here.

Last edited:
Anyone who honestly thought that UE 5 is not possible or not targeting Xbox Series X is either a massive fanboy or just a delusional idiot.

Considering how majority of Xbox 1st party Exclusives use Unreal Engine 4 such as Sea of Thieves, Gears 4 and 5 and State of Decay 2 you bet your ass they will use Unreal Engine 5 for Gears 6.

I cannot wait too see that leap, it will be absolutely insane, Gears was always a technical marvel and will continue to be so whether you like the recent entries or not.

Phil Spencer also confirmed Hellblade II uses Unreal Engine 5 so that's another fact.

Square Enix is also a big fan of the UE engine, look at Kingdom Hearts III and FF7 Remake. Would NOT he surprised if FF7 Remake Part 2 used UE5 and FF16 as well and these are multiplatform games.

God, I can't wait till July tor Microsoft's 1st party showing. I am so sick of this silly console war and bait bullshit nonsense. People pretending and acting like something is not possible somewhere else simply because Company A showed it before Company B. Dumb and childish.

People apparently feel so entitled and demanding everything right this second. It's just sad and annoying. Especially when everyone knows UE is such a massive engine across multiple platforms for different developers and publishers. But then you have the moronic fanboy trolls coming out of the woodworks and trying to start shit and twist wording to fit their "my hardware better than your hardware" fantasy land. Get lost.

Last edited:

sainraja

EPIC was showcasing their engine. I doubt there is a marketing deal that restricts them from speaking of competing platforms. Everyone knows that UE5 is going to be an engine used for more than just PlayStation games. That's always been the case.
Its kinda sad, people should just be looking at the demo as an indication of what PS5 is capable of when running UE5. A situation which pretty handily demolishes the notion that the hardware is graphically underpowered.

Whether XBSX is equal, better, or worse is irrelevant. Let their footage speak for itself, it doesn't have to be a contest. Especially when the most telling difference is likely to be first party/exclusive line-up.

Couldn't have said it better.

Last edited:

sainraja

I would be pretty shocked if someone could point out who on the internet actually thought that a new Unreal engine was exclusive to the PS5. When did it become a thing that we were pretending anyone thought that?

haha yeah. No one, even people thinking of the advantage the faster SSD offers, aren't saying it won't be on Xbox Series X. It's a multi-platform engine for goodness sakes lol.

haha yeah. No one, even people thinking of the advantage the faster SSD offers, aren't saying it won't be on Xbox Series X. It's a multi-platform engine for goodness sakes lol.

I wasn't speaking about Gaf specifically. I was speaking in general. You'd be surprised how many idiots there are on the internet.

BeardGawd

Banned
This just confirms that the Series X version would look better!

If the Series X version looked/performed worse then Sony would be delighted for that to be known.

Since the Series X version looks/performs better Sony would rather there not be any direct comparisons.

Last edited:
This just confirms that the Series X version would look better!

If the Series X version looked/performed worse then Sony would be delighted for that to be known.

Since the Series X version looks/performs better Sony would rather there not be any direct comparisons.

Can't tell if serious. My tingling senses tell me that this is a "grasp for straws" attempt into "my plastic box better than your plastic box"

Either way whether this post is genuine or not, UE5 will look amazing on both systems and both publishers and devs will bring experiences that will be glorious regardless of the platform you choose to experience it on. Let Digital Foundry do the technical comparisons before we start making silly assumptions considering we haven't seen anything substantial yet from either publishers.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't forget UE5 is not just supporting two platforms, everything from iOS to high-end PC is in the mix and Epic's business is driving adoption to all of them.

Which isn't to say that every platform will perform identically or equally, because that goes without saying. Its just not an issue though.

The point of the exercise is to show what a specific combination of hardware and their software can do at this stage, which lets not forget is pre-release so its entirely possible that the PS5 build might just be the most stable and optimized version they have at this point in time.

hyperbertha

i don't see why it couldn't. the PS5 is the weaker console. the only advantage the PS5 has over XSX is faster SSD speeds and even then the XSX isn't slow.

if anything i'd say the XSX could run it better. maybe that's why they showed it on PS5 because it's the weaker hardware and will be a better example of what to expect since so many games will need to be gimped down to work on PS5.
the amount of reaching in this thread 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

A more powerful console would run the demo better.
Slightly higher resolution with near undetectable effects in image quality. The asset quality, the polygons and texture resolution would be identical.

This will also depend on how critical the ssd performance is for this level of detail. And also how much vram was used at once, if it used more than 10GB of vram at once, the xbox would face issues. Assuming no issues, best case is slightly better but imperceptibly so(in terms of details)

hyperbertha

Epic said their tech was easily scalable depending on ssd speeds, which means third parties can take advantage of systems with extra read speeds. This is new info for most people as previously it was assumed third parties would just skip any extra speeds and go for the baseline (series X). So third parties can take full use of ps5's SSD and scale down to Xbox's SSD .

hyperbertha

Slightly higher resolution with near undetectable effects in image quality. The asset quality, the polygons and texture resolution would be identical.

This will also depend on how critical the ssd performance is for this level of detail. And also how much vram was used at once, if it used more than 10GB of vram at once, the xbox would face issues. Assuming no issues, best case is slightly better but imperceptibly so(in terms of details)
Asset quality and polygons will be higher on the ps5 version. They made full use of the SSD for the demo. The series X version could probably handle this at a higher resolution, 1800p maybe. There is no way series x will have same assets at 10 gb vram and less than half read speeds.

_sqn_

It probably could run at least as good on xsx except last fragment of running/flying here ssd could be too slow to show it exactly the same on xbox

Top Bottom