• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone on PS3. Killzone: Shadow Fall. A quick comparison

nib95

Banned
vycqfOW.jpg

OMFG look at that MOVIE QUALITY CGI REAL TIME GRAPHIX

Is it Killzone? A screencap from Avengers? Or just a real life photo? Impossible to tell.

Pretty impressive that each tiny building is a geometrical structure that is textured when you'll never ever see them in that sort of detail unless you super magnify a 4k version of the image. I mean, this is what it looks like as a whole, and that's without the additional post processing from the actual demo.

KZ4_Flyin1.jpg

The actual demo clip.

ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

Skyzard

Banned
Checking out the 1.1GB trailer 5 minutes left.. not much gameplay - you'll try to have to imagine those youtube 1080p shots without the artifacts//how it would look in-motion...or just watch it :p A lot of it was so incredible, the sheer scale of the battle and what was going on while looking so pretty!

vycqfOW.jpg

OMFG look at that MOVIE QUALITY CGI REAL TIME GRAPHIX

Is it Killzone? A screencap from Avengers? Or just a real life photo? Impossible to tell.

A crop from the 4K resolution shot?

Lord Phol

The images in the OP of Killzone 3 look alot more compressed than the Killzone: Shadow falle ones, does not really make for a fair comparison (unless I'm mistaken and Killzone 3 actually looks like that). I don't think I can make a fair judgement myself as I'm sort of bummed out by the 30fps announcement atm, but I'm just not impressed of what has been shown.

Skyzard

Banned
The images in the OP of Killzone 3 look alot more compressed than the Killzone: Shadow falle ones, does not really make for a fair comparison (unless I'm mistaken and Killzone 3 actually looks like that). I don't think I can make a fair judgement myself as I'm sort of bummed out by the 30fps announcement atm, but I'm just not impressed of what has been shown.

Watch it in slow motion.

Well, I've only seen the demo from the Jimmy Fallon show on youtube.

Okay, fair enough. You can't see any detail in that way.
The difference, especially taking into account that it's 1080p, alpha stage and they didn't even use The full potential of the RAM, is huge.

manixramz

Neo Member
killzone SF for sure is next gen ,

when people comparing this game to killzone 2 and 3 , its shows that cell is TEH POWER !

Can't wait for ND and SSM games..

guek

Banned
You're trying far too hard to downplay next-gen graphics.

I'm just having a bit of fun with hyperbole. I actually think we'll get some mind bending stuff within a few years, just like we did this gen post launch. Heaven forbid though that I don't think killzone looks as good as people have been claiming.

Again, I don't understand what's so offensive about other people being underwhelmed with this game. At the same time, I can see why it gets some people's motors running. It's a good looking game.

WinFonda

PS2-quality hair.*

* = Hyperbole? You decide.

lol, definitely not PS2 hair. It's next-gen, but not omgwow so. It looks like one of those assets thats in transitional period. 5 years from now we'll prob look back at those screens and think, jesus the hair is bad. But there's no doubt great looking video game hair is going to remain a big obstacle for some time. I expect some nice hair tech from Naughty Dog and Square-Enix, and probably very few else. Would love to be proven wrong though :)

noah111

Still Alive
These comparisons, :lol

Just go play KZ2 or 3, then watch an HD stream of KZ4. (and that's the alpha build!)

PS. cross posting:
I'll just leave this here for all you who have forgotten how much KZ2 was able to progress in such a short time span;

Killzone2CompareDecJan.jpg

This is a year away, not to mention the gameplay that was shown was probably from a build at least a month old if not way more (that's how these things usually go).

NeoUltima

Nice comparison. Really does put it into perspective. Not a mind blowing jump, but pretty good. And it's only a launch game.

But damn, those PS3 games still look awesome.

That skyview reminds me quite a bit of flying into Sao Paolo..So many buildings rammed together, crunching into their neighbours. Not how humans should live communally with the land in my view...

Im curious about what Dennis thinks of Killzone on Ps4. He plays Crysis on highest settings with crazy detail. To be honest, if Dennis cant tell a difference, or think it looks like crap, then maybe its MY eyes that are broken or maybe Im just wearing rose colored glasses. However, if someone who actually plays the latest games on max detail on a powerful PC rig says it looks crazy good (like myself also)... then you are all liars and just being negative or trolling others.

Too bad I cant summon him... :D

Exactly. Ive been playing C3 maxed @1080p between 50-70 fps. Thats why I'm really not impressed with KZ. It doesnt do much more than what I've played with KZ2/3 or look so completely different that it makes me want tget a PS4 at launch. Crysis 3 spoiled the PS4 unveil for a lot of PC players methinks.

Skyzard

Banned
Exactly. Ive been playing C3 maxed @1080p between 50-70 fps. Thats why I'm really not impressed with KZ. It doesnt do much more than what I've played with KZ2/3 or look so completely different that it makes me want tget a PS4 at launch. Crysis 3 spoiled the PS4 unveil for a lot of PC players methinks.

We need some crysis 3 shots - the characters and models didn't seem all that from the very few I looked at in the C3 PC settings thread, could have been bad shots - looked like a clear leap though.

meta4

Im curious about what Dennis thinks of Killzone on Ps4. He plays Crysis on highest settings with crazy detail. To be honest, if Dennis cant tell a difference, or think it looks like crap, then maybe its MY eyes that are broken or maybe Im just wearing rose colored glasses. However, if someone who actually plays the latest games on max detail on a powerful PC rig says it looks crazy good (like myself also)... then you are all liars and just being negative or trolling others.

Too bad I cant summon him... :D

Dennis already commented on this.

Looks insane

I have seen Crysis 3 maxed and it looks at par with KZ SH. Not sure why certain people are seeing the disparity.

FreeMufasa

If I dun no about the ps4 I'd easily say it looks like KZ4 for da ps3. Not to say there isn't a jump. It's just da same as kz2-kz3 kinda jump. It's no kz1-kz2.

FACE

Banned
We need some crysis 3 shots - the characters and models didn't seem all that from the very few I looked at in the C3 PC settings thread, could have been bad shots - looked like a clear leap though.

Here you go:

I think Killzone looks better than Crysis 3 overall, but it isn't the huge leap some people claimed it was. Someone even said C3 looks like a gameboy game in comparison.

kmag

Meh, it's still Killzone just prettier. If that KZ4 has an original thought or idea, it'll be the series first. I'm not particularly excited about the game more the possibilities the shots suggest for IP's which are actually you know good.

Exactly. Ive been playing C3 maxed @1080p between 50-70 fps. Thats why I'm really not impressed with KZ.

C3 isn't rendering to the horizon like KZ was, it's still set in small,memory restricted, closed in areas.

You get none of the same scale, distant rendered environments of the like shown in KZ.

Dennis already commented on this.

I have seen Crysis 3 maxed and it looks at par with KZ SH. Not sure why certain people are seeing the disparity.

The geometry doesn't look anywhere close in crysis 3 to me.
Effects and textures etc do, but everything else about crysis 3 still screams 'levels designed to run on ps360'

The tesselation up close and PoM textures up close for micro detail don't have nearly the same visual effect as just throwing 5-10x more polygons at a scene like in the killzone video

Bookmark this post and we'll talk again when crysis 4 is shown in another year and a half:p You'll see what I mean.

I'm not in this for the dickwaving, I doubt I'll buy killzone as I didn't enjoy killzone 2 (couldn't even finish it ), objectively the geometry in the ps4 demo is far more next gen looking to me than a blinged out to the bone ps3 game ran on pc

My only bias here is being sad that we didn't get to see what a crysis 3 designed for a modern pc could look like.
Mark my words, battlefield 4 isn't going to look that amazeballs either beause it's also a cross gen game. (unless the ps360 ports are like wii ports of call of duty... entirely diff games)

meta4

Here you go:

I think Killzone looks better than Crysis 3 overall, but it isn't the huge leap some people claimed it was. Someone even said C3 looks like a gameboy game in comparison.

That comment sure was hyperbole. I agree they are about the same but KZ still looks better in its unfinished form. At launch it will no doubt look much better than Cryis 3 which IMO is a great thing because having that as a benchmark for a launch title bodes well for the cycle 2-3 years down the line when people can finally design with final specs in mind.

Effects and textures etc do, but everything else about crysis 3 still screams 'levels designed to run on ps360'

The tesselation up close and PoM textures up close for micro detail don't have nearly the same visual effect than just throwing 5-10x more polygons at a scene.

Bookmark this post and we'll talk again when crysis 4 is shown in another year and a half:p You'll see what I mean.

Yup. One of the reasons why I felt it does not look as visually impressive as KZ SF

eso76

i think it might look better than crysis 3 but i'll have to see some good quality direct feed to judge.

In the meantime though, i'll say that i'm not really digging the look of it.
Kz2 and 3 were grittier, dirtier, with more post processing thrown onscreen, which was what made KZ2 look unlike anything else at the time in fact.

This looks so clean it actually reminds me of Halo, instead.
Probably just this part of the game though

I haven't played Crysis 3 so I can't offer an opinion but from what I've seen of Crysis 3, the fact we're talking about Crysis 3 and Killzone 4 in the same breath is giving me a semi.

Hei guize let's compare Killzone 4 vs. Crysis three:

Crysis 3 explosion in the distance (24x16 expanded to 720p resolution)
lLDzfdU.jpg

Killzone Shadow Fall in the distance (24x 16 expanded to 720p res)
vQrmq0j.jpg

I think that C3 has better colours and texture but Killzone SF looks a bit more realistic

#neogaf_attention_to_detail

meta4

i think it might look better than crysis 3 but i'll have to see some good quality direct feed to judge.

Kz2 and 3 were grittier, dirtier, with more post processing thrown onscreen, which was what made KZ2 look unlike anything else at the time in fact.

I am hoping the same. I loved 2 for the art style. But this footage takes place in Vekta and the player will go the helghan section on the other side of the wall as well so hopefully they offer a really nice contrast. Also bring back the rag doll in all its glory in the final disc.

Thanks for the thread

I read Chris Koller's liveblog during the conference. My eyes almost rolled out of my fucking head at his "This looks like a PS3 game" criticisms

We get it, you don't like games with bang bang

I'd bet anything that it wasn't running on actual Ps4 hardware.

Alpha and it's due out in less than 10 months.

Yes, of course.
I've just spoke to my mate at SCEE and its defo still in Alpha. If any mods want to verify this, I'll be happy to forward on a mail from my mate to prove I'm not bullshitting.

FACE

Banned

Here.

Binabik15

People still believe that their Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 on their consoles look like the promo bullshots that have perfect IQ and shadowing , when even downsampled shots in the high res thread have imperfect shadowing, edge shimmering, AO errors and other imperfections that show how touched up the press shots are.

Someone post the super downsampled Ratched and Clank: Tools of Destruction screens and tell us that PS3 can do more CGI like visuals than PS4.

demolitio

I haven't kept up with gaming for the past 4 - 5 years... did the finally game and real time engine for kz2 look as good as that scene? (I'm guessing it was cgi, I really don't remember).

Didn't see anyone answer this so I'll take a stab at it. The real scene looked better in some ways and worse in some ways, but a lot closer than most people thought and it still blew most people away.

Here's a video comparison. Original link was down so all I could find right now was a 480p comparison plus pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXQ1s_TXcMA

That 1080p shot on the previous page just shows how much of an impact 1080p will have vs the 720p games on the PS3. There is a massive jump in quality.

The tesselation up close and PoM textures up close for micro detail don't have nearly the same visual effect as just throwing 5-10x more polygons at a scene like in the killzone video

I'm not in this for the dickwaving, I doubt I'll buy killzone as I didn't enjoy killzone 2 (couldn't even finish it ), objectively the geometry in the ps4 demo is far more next gen looking to me than a blinged out to the bone ps3 game ran on pc

My only bias here is being sad that we didn't get to see what a crysis 3 designed for a modern pc could look like.
Mark my words, battlefield 4 isn't going to look that amazeballs either beause it's also a cross gen game. (unless the ps360 ports are like wii ports of call of duty... entirely diff games)

Yeah, that is what I feel. It is micro detail versus macro detail to some extent. I think on a micro scale, Crysis 3 currently gets the nod, there is so much detail packed into the players immediate sorroundings. But KZ impresses by rendering a whole massive city with fantastic variety. Also, both games do not render everything with all texture detail turned to the max...check Pyscho's shirt for instance...

I think people are underestimating the difference jumping from 720p to 1080p makes in terms of IQ.

Yes. But also the amount of texture detail that can be shown (thanks to the RAM increase, amongst others).

If you take a good look at the insane texture detail bump in the high res Killzone screens and vids, you'll see a BIG difference.

Yes. But also the amount of texture detail that can be shown (thanks to the RAM increase, amongst others).

If you take a good look at the insane texture detail bump in the high res Killzone screens and vids, you'll see a BIG difference.

Absolutely. I'm surprised some people can't see the difference. I guess it will be more obvious when seen in person.

eso76

Oh, thank you kind sir, i missed the post in the other thread.
Let's see...

And i'd say i'm more impressed with the macro detail in KZ anyway; Crysis 3 is a game structured to run on old consoles, PC version can only do so much to improve on the way the game is constructed. Textures and micro detail, that's great, but never did much for me and the opening in KZ4 is a different thing.

While i have to say that in the demo actual gameplay isn't as 'next gen looking/feeling as intro and outro cutscenes, that's exactly what i meant the past months / years when i said PC was just prettier current gen and the real next gen would start when consoles said so.

Top Bottom