• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Killzone HD aka The Halo Killer

Kerotan

So to my surprise recently I realised you could download Killzone HD for just €10 on the PS3 store. For some reason I thought this masterpiece was consigned to the PS2.

So in the last few day's I've platinumed it which means I've done 4 playthroughs each with the different character in your squad. I have to say I can see why this game spelled the end of Halo as a relevant IP.

In all seriousness, the game isn't bad. Probably a 7/10 but nothing special. It probably has some of the best graphics for a PS2 shooter. From your gun to special effects like glass shattering.

I've now played the entire series after recently playing liberation to psp game thanks to Sony porting it to PS Premium. I'd rate the series in this order.

1. Killzone 2
2. Killzone Shadow fall
3. Killzone 3
4. Killzone Mercenaries
5. Killzone Liberation
6. Killzone HD

Calverz

I have to say I can see why this game spelled the end of Halo as a relevant IP.
Mad Max Reaction GIF

Three

I have to admit that I've never played the original. I started from 2 onwards and only played about half of 3. The others I've completed though.

I loved killzone 2 and 3

I’d go as far as to say they were some of the best single player FPS shooters I’ve played

Is the PS4 one any good? Yet to play that one.
It's worth a play if you liked the previous ones since it's more of the same. I did struggle figuring out where out of bounds is more than the previous games though and I was frustratingly trying to zipline to places that were not accessible or got me stuck. Other than that it's an alright game with still stellar graphics.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I loved killzone 2 and 3

I’d go as far as to say they were some of the best single player FPS shooters I’ve played

Shadowfall honestly felt underbaked. Gunplay was cool, environments looked really nice, but it was missing something. KZ Multiplayer is still massively underrated.

Shadowfall honestly felt underbaked. Gunplay was cool, environments looked really nice, but it was missing something. KZ Multiplayer is still massively underrated.
It was a launch title for PS4, it had to be out on PS4 launch day. That's why it felt like half a game which suddenly ended. Too bad because I was enjoying that first half of the game.

I'm sad that Guerilla went on to other things (read: Horizon) but I'm happy that other things were so successful for them, something Killzone never was.

I would really like to play a remaster of Killzone 2 and 3, but with the gauze filter removed from the graphics and the input lag fixed. Fundamentally they weren't bad games but heavily limited by the PS3 hardware and also Guerilla's engine design which had absolutely hellish input lag due to all the deferred rendering that was going on to get around the PS3 hardware.

GymWolf

Gunplay and enemy ia was noticeably inferior to kz2 on ps3.

But yeah, rushing infamous and killzone killed both franchise, such a good job from sony...

Last edited:

SCB3

The original Killzone was pretty bad compared to Halo and Medal of Honor, however it really hit its stride with 2 and 3, no idea why a new one has not been made at this point though, the MP in 3 was pretty fun

Shtof

Was Halo really in need of killing in 2004?

Sure, it was the most popular game on the Xbox.
But Xbox was a marginal brand at the time, and the first Xbox was a marginal player in the sixth generation.

Ironically, even if there were Halo killers, Halo managed to peacefully die of old age.

Mephisto40

You should probably play the Resistance series as well if you haven't already, Resistance 2 and 3's campaigns were great

GymWolf

A small price to pay for Horizon and Tsushima.

Resistance 2 was actually the best Resistance.
Tsushima is made by sucker punch and i would gladly erase that one for a new killzone like 2 or even a remake of 2 tbh.

Not a big fan of samurai AC tbh.

I only enjoyed and finished resistance 1, i got bored with the other 2 even if they were probably better games overall.

Last edited:

Shtof

Tsushima is made by sucker punch and i would gladly erase that one for a new killzone like 2 or even a remake of 2 tbh.

Not a big fan of samurai AC tbh.
I recently played Shadow Fall, I liked it. But all the great aspects of Killzone can be found in Horizon, so I'm not complaining.

Never really cared for Sucker Punch, but at least Tsushima is better than Infamous ever was.

GymWolf

I recently played Shadow Fall, I liked it. But all the great aspects of Killzone can be found in Horizon, so I'm not complaining.

Never really cared for Sucker Punch, but at least Tsushima is better than Infamous ever was.
Disagree on everything you said.

I liked infamous way more than tsushima and kz2 strong points of fighting humans with decent ia and meaty gunplay is completely absent in horizon where fighting against human is dogshit, both mechanically and gunplay wise, the strong point of horizon combat are the dinobots and multiple combat options between traps and shit, the combat is nothing like kz so i'm not sure where you see what you see, i think the games have completely different strong points other than the graphic, even if you consider the good combat something they have in common, they both do different things.

Helghast are also super interesting enemies with a great lore, a lot of people side with them when they read the whole story, the human villains in horizon are very undercooked, monodimensional and forgettable between the space dudes in fw and helis in zd.

Sylens is not actually a villain, before you ask.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Still think Killzone 2 had some of the best multiplayer ever made.

It went down hill with every entry afterwards, I still remember Warzone as peak FPS.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Some of the most boring, mediocre, soulless FPS games in the history of gaming
Played 1,2 ,3 and i wish i didn't, this was back during he Halo craze where it was the game/franchise to "beat", unfortunately, no game ever did.

The only interesting bit about this whole franchise were the esthetics when it came to the Helgan - nothing else.
- Boring, uninspired gunplay
- Boring level design
- Some of the most - if not the most - obnoxious main characters to ever grace a videogame

just a mediocre franchise all around, never really got how it became so successful in the first place.

i was actually happy when i learned that Guerilla moved from Killzone to Horizon zero dawn but...after finishing Forbidden west, i can confidently say that the dudes are only good when it comes to graphics 'cause, once again, the gameplay part and writing are always bore fests.

PS : Just remembered that i also played the other one on the PS4 (can't even remember the name) and yep, it was also incredibly mediocre

Last edited:

midnightAI

Played 1,2 ,3 and i wish i didn't, this was back during he Halo craze where it was the game/franchise to "beat", unfortunately, no game ever did.

The only interesting bit about this whole franchise were the esthetics when it came to the Helgan - nothing else.
- Boring level design
- Some of the most - if not the most - obnoxious main characters to ever grace a videogame

just a mediocre franchise all around, never really got how it became so successful in the first place.

i was actually happy when i learned that Guerilla moved from Killzone to Horizon zero dawn but...after finishing Forbidden west, i can confidently say that the dudes are only good when it comes to graphics 'cause, once again, the gameplay part and writing are always bore fests.

PS : Just remembered that i also played the other one on the PS4 (can't even remember the name) and yep, it was also incredibly mediocre

Yeah, I totally agree with this, except the complete opposite.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Yeah, I totally agree with this, except the complete opposite.

It's ok Midnight, personal opinions and all that friend ;)

Personally, i found the Resistance games to be better (3rd one especially) but they still were nowhere close to the (then) almighty Halo (how times have changed).

Cheers

midnightAI

It's ok Midnight, personal opinions and all that friend ;)

Personally, i found the Resistance games to be better (3rd one especially) but they still were nowhere close to the (then) almighty Halo (how times have changed).

Cheers
I think I'm an anomaly when it comes to FPS games, the Halo games made by Bungie are great but the new ones not so much and Halo Infinite is pretty terrible if you ask me (single player) and that is due to the complete lack of variety in the game, for the sheer amount of time it took to make that game I'd expect more varied locations, it actually baffles me how it took so long to make and still turned out the way it did.

Resistance 2 is my favourite of the Resistance games, dunno what it is with 3 but I didnt enjoy it anywhere near as much (In order I'd say 2, then 1, then 3).

Killzone 2 is the best of the Killzone games, although I don't actually mind Shadow Fall, but Killzone 1 is definitely the worst one by far.

I actually think that Destiny is better than all of them as far as gun play is concerned, and I'd probably even put Destiny 1 above Destiny 2, they have tinkered too much, I wouldnt care about some tweaking here and there but outright removing areas is messed up. I'd actually like to see Bungie do a single player FPS again, heck, do it as a spin off to Destiny if you like. And why make Marathon a PVP extraction shooter? (yes, I know, GaaS makes money)

COD I'm not a fan of as I prefer single player games, but what campaigns they have are usually forgettable except for their WW2 games which are usually pretty good.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gunplay in kz2 absolutely destroy any resistance or halo game imo.

Halo has better shooting mechanics but when bullets touch the enemies, seeing the helgast do the bullet dance is better than any kill in halo.

Shooting motherfuckers in kz2 was incredible, the hit reactions, the blood splat effect, the heavy ragdoll etc.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Killzone 1 Rocked. An awesome introduction into a great franchise with unfortunatly some obnoxiously edgy characters created during the "AAA gaming is going full M-Rated" phase of this industry.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I think I'm an anomaly when it comes to FPS games, the Halo games made by Bungie are great but the new ones not so much and Halo Infinite is pretty terrible if you ask me (single player) and that is due to the complete lack of variety in the game, for the sheer amount of time it took to make that game I'd expect more varied locations, it actually baffles me how it took so long to make and still turned out the way it did.

Resistance 2 is my favourite of the Resistance games, dunno what it is with 3 but I didnt enjoy it anywhere near as much (In order I'd say 2, then 1, then 3).

Killzone 2 is the best of the Killzone games, although I don't actually mind Shadow Fall, but Killzone 1 is definitely the worst one by far.

I actually think that Destiny is better than all of them as far as gun play is concerned, and I'd probably even put Destiny 1 above Destiny 2, they have tinkered too much, I wouldnt care about some tweaking here and there but outright removing areas is messed up. I'd actually like to see Bungie do a single player FPS again, heck, do it as a spin off to Destiny if you like. And why make Marathon a PVP extraction shooter? (yes, I know, GaaS makes money)

COD I'm not a fan of as I prefer single player games, but what campaigns they have are usually forgettable except for their WW2 games which are usually pretty good.

Man, i bailed after Halo ODST, Reach for me was just...nope since i already had my Halo fill by then.
13 years pass and i finish both 4 and 5 on the XONE X : Didn't hate them but they failed to capture that Halo magic of yore - 2 years later i play Halo infinite on the XSX and...the less i say the better.

Anyway, this isn't a topic about Halo but KZ, and while i never was a big FPS fan and i mostly played the Halo games 'cause "online buddies on Xblive", i think that it's fair to say that Sony's efforts when it came to both Killzone and Resistance were a...direct response to Halo's success since it was massive back then and they wanted a piece of the proverbial pie, heck, i'd go as far as to say that the same thing happened with Uncharted since they wanted that piece from the 3rd person shooter pie (aka Gears of War) - it all felt so...reactionary and that's one of the reasons why i don't think highly of Sony from that era (i.e : way too "western"-type games especially after the magnificent PS2 era).

Destiny plays magnificently (i.e : the controls/aiming/shooting feel) but, we all know what happened there - MTX hell, repetition ahoy, becoming basically a 2nd job due to the grind etc etc.
Killzone was...bad
Killzone 2, well, they at least managed to create a very pretty game especially after all the hype of that BS trailer, gameplay wise though, for me, it was just mediocre, add the excessive input-lag on top of that and...(which btw, fans claimed that it was on purpose since it added "weight" to the whole shootbang - something which was obviously BS).
Killzone 3...played better IMO but, again, found it to be a completely forgettable FPS experience.
Killzone PS4 : guess it was pretty ?

The Resistance games were all kinds of mediocre IMO but at least had an interesting story.

Anyway, sorry for being off-topic ;)

Cheers

Shtof

- Boring level design

If you want good writing, read a book.

If you want great gameplay/combat systems there are many other games.

I love Horizon (and Killzone before that) for the immersion, presentation and world-building, something other games (or other media) can't give me.

I loved KZ1 because I only had a PS2 not an xbox and really wanted Halo. But in hindsight I did really like the atmosphere and world of Killzone. Helghast was a cool enemy. Killzone 2 I legitmately think is a great fps. I'd like to revisit it one day. I bounced off 3 and shadowfall.

Personally I'd love to see Sony reboot the franchise. They need a AAA FPS. I'm so bored of their third person games.

Makariel

Never played the first one, played 2 and 3 and remember being confused on why I was on that miserable planet and why the invading forces don't need to worry about the air while the Helghast need gasmasks at all times. I distinctly remember disliking Rico because he was being an idiot most of the time.

Shtof

Disagree on everything you said.

I liked infamous way more than tsushima and kz2 strong points of fighting humans with decent ia and meaty gunplay is completely absent in horizon where fighting against human is dogshit, both mechanically and gunplay wise, the strong point of horizon combat are the dinobots and multiple combat options between traps and shit, the combat is nothing like kz so i'm not sure where you see what you see, i think the games have completely different strong points other than the graphic, even if you consider the good combat something they have in common, they both do different things.

Helghast are also super interesting enemies with a great lore, a lot of people side with them when they read the whole story, the human villains in horizon are very undercooked, monodimensional and forgettable between the space dudes in fw and helis in zd.

Sylens is not actually a villain, before you ask.
Somehow I agree with almost everything you said, at least what doesn't directly contradict my previous statements.
Like you, I really love Killzone. I was also very skeptical of Horizon. But I really grew to love it.
Even with all those weaknesses you pointed out, there is nothing like Horizon out there.
They are some of the best games I ever played.

Sylens is just a plot device. Kotallo is the buddy you you'd wanna hang out with.

Based take, except that Killzone 3 with Move was the most fun Killzone though.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
All i remember is that the games horribly narrow FOV gave me motion sickness...

Last edited:

radewagon

Bro, Killzone 3, with the Move controllers attached to the "Sharpshooter" peripheral while displayed on a 3DTV. It was cumbersome, but it's an experience that was very unique at the time. It was like VR before VR.

Killzone has been a favorite of mine since it first released. I miss it a good deal and hope Sony decides to do something, anything, with the IP soon.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I picked it up too a few months back on PS3 and I was really excited to play it. I had fond memories of KZ1 on PS2, even with the awful framerate but the PS3 version felt awful to me. The weight of the movement, aiming just felt wrong and the framerate is still bad.

I want to take the time to get adjusted to it because I'm sure id enjoy it with enough time but it's on the back burner for the time being.

ungalo

It's the kind of games that i have some kind of nostalgia for. Not really for the games themselves but more the discussion they triggered at the time.

Killzone 2 was certainly not the Halo killer but it was pretty good i think. At least it made me want to play it unlike Horizon.

GymWolf

Somehow I agree with almost everything you said, at least what doesn't directly contradict my previous statements.
Like you, I really love Killzone. I was also very skeptical of Horizon. But I really grew to love it.
Even with all those weaknesses you pointed out, there is nothing like Horizon out there.
They are some of the best games I ever played.

Sylens is just a plot device. Kotallo is the buddy you you'd wanna hang out with.

Dude the first horizon was my game of the past gen, so i know how good it is :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Don't get fooled by how harsh i am, i really don't pull any punch with any game, even if i like them a lot, no game is safe with me around:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The sequel was superior in many things but the plot was just not as interesting and the new enemy reveal was pretty meh so i didn't liked it nearly as much.

And yeah kotallo was the best buddy by a landslide, i was shipping him with aloy.

(I even had a funny exchange with the voice actor of kotallo in a yt comment section where i trolled his presentation trailer and he had a chuckle about it :LOL: )

Last edited:
Killzone 1 Rocked. An awesome introduction into a great franchise with unfortunatly some obnoxiously edgy characters created during the "AAA gaming is going full M-Rated" phase of this industry.
Yeah, Killzone was not a Halo killer not by far....the first Killzone had a lot of bugs one that was bad in my eyes when you was near an enemy he had no face at al, 2-3 seconds later it popped in, also the same for the enviroment. But was the first game of at that time small developer out of Amsterdam from the Netherlands. The gunplay was good on the other hand. And now it is one of the best studios of Sony. I did not see that coming.......

Last edited:
I loved killzone 2 and 3

The story itself isn't as grandiose as 2 and 3. The plot is more about a cold war between Vekta and Helghan.

It's worth a playthrough though. The opening is fucking awesome and still looks pretty insane running in 60fps on PS5. Unfortunately it's only 1080p. But I can look past that for games that actually try such as this and The Order 1886.

It's nice seeing all of the guns from Killzone 2 and 3 in an updated engine as well.

I was hyped for the original back in the day, didn't quite live up to it but I still enjoyed it somewhat, even played it online

I picked it up too a few months back on PS3 and I was really excited to play it. I had fond memories of KZ1 on PS2, even with the awful framerate but the PS3 version felt awful to me. The weight of the movement, aiming just felt wrong and the framerate is still bad.

I want to take the time to get adjusted to it because I'm sure id enjoy it with enough time but it's on the back burner for the time being.

I think I know what you mean as I tried the PS3 port not long ago and it felt a bit wonky with twitchy aiming, probably prefer playing on PS2 :messenger_smirking:

Twinblade

since we are in the era of gaming remakes, why the fuck can't we get a damn remake of games that people actually wants like killzone, socom, twisted metal. Not fucking games that just been released a few years ago.

Last edited:

buenoblue

I loved killzone 2 and 3

Shadowfall plays at 1080 locked 60fps 9n ps5 and still looks better than most new games.

Top Bottom