• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Killzone HD aka The Halo Killer

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Dude the first horizon was my game of the past gen, so i know how good it is :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Don't get fooled by how harsh i am, i really don't pull any punch with any game, even if i like them a lot, no game is safe with me around:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The sequel was superior in many things but the plot was just not as interesting and the new enemy reveal was pretty meh so i didn't liked it nearly as much.

And yeah kotallo was the best buddy by a landslide, i was shipping him with aloy.

(I even had a funny exchange with the voice actor of kotallo in a yt comment section where i trolled his presentation trailer and he had a chuckle about it :LOL: )

HZD was mine also tied with Quantum Break. I absolutely hated Killzone Shadowfall, it's hard to believe both games came from the same studio. Killzone a Halo killer? Don't think so. 🤮

GymWolf

HZD was mine also tied with Quantum Break. I absolutely hated Killzone Shadowfall, it's hard to believe both games came from the same studio. Killzone a Halo killer? Don't think so. 🤮
Sony needed games for the launch window so he had to rush and waste both killzone and infamous.

Not a big fan of quantum break, not gonna lie dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Killzone ditto, it’s the gunplay, the atmosphere, the art style yes games got bigger but they lost the character the Killzone games had.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Sony needed games for the launch window so he had to rush and waste both killzone and infamous.

Not a big fan of quantum break, not gonna lie dude :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
At least you're honest.

I hated Infamous 2nd Son even more than Shadowfall I didn't finish it, I don't think I finished Killzone either, but I played Horizon Zero Dawn twice before I traded the PS4 in on an Xbox 1X.

GymWolf

At least you're honest.

I hated Infamous 2nd Son even more than Shadowfall I didn't finish it, I don't think I finished Killzone either, but I played Horizon Zero Dawn twice before I traded the PS4 in on an Xbox 1X.
I liked second son way more than kzsf because i was a huge fan of the past games but i didn't liked it nearly as much, especially the dogshit story and characters, and the game was just so short, i swear it must be the shortest open world game of all time if we don't count morales dlc (and i swear even that one seemed longer)

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I loved Killzone 2 and 3. Best Sony exclusives ever, imo. Killzone Mercenary on the Vita is a top 5 portable game of all time.

I think it’s fucking insane that GG is making bad Horizon games instead of Killzone.

Billbofet

I like Killzone 2 and 3 was amazing to play through in 3D, but I would say 7/10 on both. The gunplay just felt too floaty and hectic.
I much prefer the Resistance games, but I would love an HD remaster of either franchise.

GymWolf

I like Killzone 2 and 3 was amazing to play through in 3D, but I would say 7/10 on both. The gunplay just felt too floaty and hectic.
I much prefer the Resistance games, but I would love an HD remaster of either franchise.
The gunplay in kz2 felt too floaty and hectic? One of the heaviest and slowest fps ever made felt that way to you?

Billbofet

The gunplay in kz2 felt too floaty and hectic? One of the heaviest and slowest fps ever made felt that way to you?
Hectic to me in the way I always felt like I was focusing too much on the controls vs. the game happening in front of me. Like I was fighting the controls.
Maybe sluggish is a better word. Hectic because every time I had a bead on something, I would get shot or jossled out of it.
Maybe I just suck :).

Muffdraul

I was right there on day 1 when the first preview hit the internet circa summer 2003. I was fucking DYING of Halo 2 thirst, I was so desperate for a new major FPS. I latched onto Killzone pretty much the same way I latched onto Crash Bandicoot when I was losing my mind waiting for Mario 64 to launch.

Killzone was clunky as hell, but I enjoyed it a lot somehow. Enough that I played through it multiple times, once for each character and then some. Personally I regard all of the Killzone games to be flawed, but worthwhile and underrated. Even Shadow Fall. Haters of that game can kick rocks.

GymWolf

Hectic to me in the way I always felt like I was focusing too much on the controls vs. the game happening in front of me. Like I was fighting the controls.
Maybe sluggish is a better word. Hectic because every time I had a bead on something, I would get shot or jossled out of it.
Maybe I just suck :).
english is not my native language but i think sluggish is more appropriate than hectic.

A lot of people didn't liked the input lag and thought the game controlled like shit.

CamHostage

Tried Killzone 1 so many times, hoping there was something there to discover in the developer's early days if I just gave it more of a chance, but the consensus is right that this just wasn't then and isn't now worth most people's time. Nice technical work, and Guerrilla leveled up a lot afterwards, but that first one is a slog to plod through.

Shadowfall plays at 1080 locked 60fps 9n ps5 and still looks better than most new games.

Eh, sort of...

There's great tech in it, but I actually played it not too long ago (after loving Killzone Mercenary on Vita; also Killzone Liberation is pretty good IMO, albeit short and limited in mechanics) and the visuals didn't work for me. Effects and graphic density is great (that opening flight over a gleaming cityscape is just about perfect,) but the geometry is limited and covered over with textures in a way that makes it seem claustrophobic to me. They're not using photogrammetry AFAIK (they have photogrammetry methods in face creation, but seem to use that tool mostly for micro not macro functions,) but I had the same problem with Star Wars Battlefront, that it looks amazing in screenshots and video, but when you're in control, the disparity of how much the world moves compared to the detail invested in the moving elements feels off.

It's tough to explain without the game on hand to see again, but I was there for the eye candy and hoping to enjoy the gameplay, and I didn't really connect with either. Mileage may vary, I guess.

Last edited:
ID Software guys reading this:

1bbJ.gif

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Skifi28

Never played the first. Not sure I can be bothered to connect my ps3 and buy it there, I was kinda hoping there would have been a trilogy available for ps4/5 by now. Unfortunately Sony really hates their older games for whatever reason, even more than I originally thought.

Kerotan

I loved killzone 2 and 3

I’d go as far as to say they were some of the best single player FPS shooters I’ve played

Is the PS4 one any good? Yet to play that one.
The ps4 one isn't as good but graphics are better and it's still fun.
Killzone 2 was fucking GOAT and one of the best MP shooters of all time.

Those who know "dat chirp", they know.... they know.
I did my platinum on it this year. Beating it on elite was a challenge!
All i remember is that the games horribly narrow FOV gave me motion sickness...
Yeah I got dizzy a few times.
Shadowfall plays at 1080 locked 60fps 9n ps5 and still looks better than most new games.
I replayed Shadow fall the Day the ps5 launched and it looked superb.

Shtof

Dude the first horizon was my game of the past gen, so i know how good it is :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
Don't get fooled by how harsh i am, i really don't pull any punch with any game, even if i like them a lot, no game is safe with me around:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

The sequel was superior in many things but the plot was just not as interesting and the new enemy reveal was pretty meh so i didn't liked it nearly as much.

And yeah kotallo was the best buddy by a landslide, i was shipping him with aloy.

(I even had a funny exchange with the voice actor of kotallo in a yt comment section where i trolled his presentation trailer and he had a chuckle about it :LOL: )
I feel like I'm in the minority here but I thought the Far Zenith was more interesting than AI antagonists.

Just like in real life, I think people with AI is much more scary than AI itself.

GymWolf

I feel like I'm in the minority here but I thought the Far Zenith was more interesting than AI antagonists.

Just like in real life, I think people with AI is much more scary than AI itself.
The far zenith were intriguing at first, but they are just so undercooked and monothematic, just rich men that want to live forever with no grey aspect.
baldy was barely in the game and the goon is just your average dude who likes to kill.

Nemesys reveal is even worse and his reasons are fucking stupid, the far zenith are all dead, but now it just hate the whole humanity because of reasons...
Is the plot gonna be nemesys destroying earth because he still search for far zenith survivors? That sound super bad.

I'm very unhappy with nemesys as the next big villain and i don't see how they are gonna make it charismatic, especially when helis and the far zenith were so uninteresting.

Hades was mid, but his fucking voice was 10/10.

Last edited:

kyussman

I like the games but the franchise was a huge missed opportunity,such great world building and lore but the games never managed to get there.....I would actually love an open world Killzone if designed well,but that ship has sailed.

SkylineRKR

The franchise is overall pretty bad. A lot of wasted potential. The lore is quite good for example. But ingame its horrible.

KZ1 was forgettable. Killzone 2 was the standout, though it played like shit when it launched and it was completely unbalanced. Its ultimately also a rather linear game. But I did like it a lot and I played its MP for a good while.

KZ3 played well, looked well, but story was horrible and MP was trash. Shadow Fall was a turd with some of the worst level design you will find. I didn't play the handheld games but as far as the main entries go thats one quite good game out of 4.

Shtof

The far zenith were intriguing at first, but they are just so undercooked and monothematic, just rich men that want to live forever with no grey aspect.
baldy was barely in the game and the goon is just your average dude who likes to kill.

Nemesys reveal is even worse and his reasons are fucking stupid, the far zenith are all dead, but now it just hate the whole humanity because of reasons...
Is the plot gonna be nemesys destroying earth because he still search for far zenith survivors? That sound super bad.

I'm very unhappy with nemesys as the next big villain and i don't see how they are gonna make it charismatic, especially when helis and the far zenith were so uninteresting.

Hades was mid, but his fucking voice was 10/10.
Sure, Nemesis sounds just as boring as Hades.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
As much as I wanted to fall in love with the IP and support the talent of the Sony team... I even bought Killzone 2... I played it several times, but I couldn't get past the second scenario... IT'S SO BORING, I couldn't stand it.

There I abandoned the Saga and was willing to Buy Killzone 3....

General Radec was the only good thing in the saga.

Top Bottom