• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Killzone 2 (2009) via PS3 “Super Slim”

fart town usa

Gold Member
I love KZ2, I've always thought the controls are too sluggish and I get the whole weighty feel and can absolutely respect a design choice like that but I still feel like it's inherently flawed. I still love the game though and do my best to power through it. I was actually playing a few weeks back and it still looks stunning.

My main critique is the story delivery. The story itself is great and KZ has some great lore but guerilla never quite stuck the landing overall. I'd say the same with Resistance. PS3 had some top tier shooters but the story delivery always felt like an afterthought for me.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Bought this at launch I loved the campaign but played the shit out of online and got every single online trophy. Anyone who played it knows that was impressive. I never platinumed it though because beating it on hard was notorious. Only this summer I went back to my ps3 and finished it off. What a game.

Enjoyed killzone liberation which they added to premium recently so only the original killzone left now to play.
KZ HD is still on the PS3 store if you need a copy. $20, bought it the other week.

Apocryphon

Nah there have been worse trailers and the game surpassed the trailer in many ways.
He’s talking about the E3 2005 trailer which was absolute bollocks. Same as the MotorStorm trailer.

When we saw the game again at E3 2007, people had become cautiously optimistic and nobody thought it could actually look that good. Then the retail version hit in 2009 and ended up actually looking even better in many areas.

Unknown?

He’s talking about the E3 2005 trailer which was absolute bollocks. Same as the MotorStorm trailer.

When we saw the game again at E3 2007, people had become cautiously optimistic and nobody thought it could actually look that good. Then the retail version hit in 2009 and ended up actually looking even better in many areas.

I know which one he's referring to and yeah the final game surpassed that trailer in many areas, not everything obviously.

Unknown?

What areas did the retail release surpass the internal render target trailer in?
Textures, density, fire. The target trailer had very good anti-aliasing and animations(as CGI isn't effected by aliasing and animations are less complicated), but if you go back and watch it the actual environments are barren AF, textures aren't good, and the fire effects are trash. I'd also say lighting but we don't have any environments in the trailer that is darker but the game has some impressive lighting effects in the darker areas.

Last edited:

M.W.

If it wasn't for the massive input lag (lol it's not weighty) I would agree they would be classics.

Kakax11

Banned
KZ2 was the goat in characters and story

that film grain/motion blur though yikes, makes me feel i'm playing a Naughty dog game o ps3

Ozzie666

Great games on the Vita as well. Call me crazy, but the box art and the box layout in general is simply amazing. I recall everyone joking about the Playstation 3 logo looking like Spiderman. But that box for Killzone just works, they really nailed the branding.

Killzone suffered the same fate as SOCOM, but it might have the smallest chance of coming back.

RPS37

NGL I clicked on the thread hoping to see what a super slim looks like…googling.

edit: I own one.

Last edited:
Let’s start by saying Killzone was once upon a time apart of SONY’s game plan. This game is seriously impressive, the way the lighting hits, the different color palettes. People forget Killzone 2 does have colors, and lighting, I like the browns and greys though but the graphics and colors are so underrated.

Be honest GAF what do you think of Killzone 2? The multiplayer servers are now shut down, its flaws are the controls and graphics which I will say are its best features.
J Peterman No GIF

Game had AWFUL IMPUT lag on release. It was the first game I ever played where I actually noticed it. It was so bad that I couldn't play it anymore after a few hours. Graphics were freakin' awesome though, it looked incredible for the time. I'd love to replay it on a PC with M/kb one day. Last I checked a few years ago there were a few decent m/kb implementations with some emulators.

Fahdis

J Peterman No GIF

Game had AWFUL IMPUT lag on release. It was the first game I ever played where I actually noticed it. It was so bad that I couldn't play it anymore after a few hours. Graphics were freakin' awesome though, it looked incredible for the time. I'd love to replay it on a PC with M/kb one day. Last I checked a few years ago there were a few decent m/kb implementations with some emulators.

For the last time. The game is not a twitch shooter like COD. It has intentional weight on it on purpose. No noscope360s for you cap.

radewagon

Because it has no marketable value due to the fact that no one in the series is gay, trans or whatever the fuck. And the lead is a male. Sony can't afford to lose anything on their ESG score.
Killzone the series may not include those triggers that you mentioned (not that that has anything to do with why Sony chooses to market something LOL), but the Killzone series is diverse for its time; featuring minorities, women, and even half-breed alien human hybrids in prominent roles.

Let's not retroactively pretend this series wasn't trying to push games forward towards a more inclusive future.

SkylineRKR

Great game. I remember liking it a ton though the input lag was a struggle.
Textures, density, fire. The target trailer had very good anti-aliasing and animations(as CGI isn't effected by aliasing and animations are less complicated), but if you go back and watch it the actual environments are barren AF, textures aren't good, and the fire effects are trash. I'd also say lighting but we don't have any environments in the trailer that is darker but the game has some impressive lighting effects in the darker areas.

Weapon textures, enemy design and fire effects are def. worse in that trailer. Also the gunplay itself, lack of ironsight and the impact of bullets. That trailer honestly looks like shit. The FOV is awful and the sway is vomit inducing. I'm glad the full game turned out to be different from whatever the hell that was.

StereoVsn

Great games on the Vita as well. Call me crazy, but the box art and the box layout in general is simply amazing. I recall everyone joking about the Playstation 3 logo looking like Spiderman. But that box for Killzone just works, they really nailed the branding.

Killzone suffered the same fate as SOCOM, but it might have the smallest chance of coming back.
Unfortunately I don't see it coming back as anything but GaaS considering Sony's announced plans.

You wouldn't know how to play anything without an instruction manual. Stick to COD please. Any excuse to not say that you sucked at the game.
Bud, I'd wager I've played video games longer than you've been potty trained. If your best retort is "lol, stick to COD." GAF may not be the best place for you, especially if you are so emotionally invested in a dead franchise known for it's horrendous 2nd game's input lag.

Last edited:
Loved the weighty, laggy feel of KZ2. Its not like it was a disadvantage to one player. Everyone had the same laggy experience. Whether intentional or not, I loved how it felt different than the typical snappy fps. MP was a treat as well. Tactician was my jam!

Sushi_Combo

Loved the weighty, laggy feel of KZ2. Its not like it was a disadvantage to one player. Everyone had the same laggy experience. Whether intentional or not, I loved how it felt different than the typical snappy fps. MP was a treat as well. Tactician was my jam!
A good tac was able to control the outcome of the match. I loved how each class had their own strategic uses.

truth411

3133267773_1cc10316c6.jpg

I just played the craziest FPS ever.

Let’s start by saying Killzone was once upon a time apart of SONY’s game plan. This game is seriously impressive, the way the lighting hits, the different color palettes. People forget Killzone 2 does have colors, and lighting, I like the browns and greys though but the graphics and colors are so underrated.

images

The script for the game is you play as a dude soldier who wouldn’t win an Emmy but you get great gunplay, solid controls, button layout, (3 boxes to check if you’re an AAA fps) and are invading an alien world (Helghan).

7 hours long (10 chapters) is good, short games matter and I respect them more today.

Tharsis Refinery

Going back try to remember the shooters in 2009, gears of war, halo, battlefield, call of duty, so it means something to be apart of that group on top of the expectations.

IMG-3038.jpg

Crushed the reviews.

Killzone2_b08_124.jpg

Taken from the mission “the cruiser” a very good chapter.

Killzone 2 is a good game and Sony eventually screwed up their shooter security blanket, when playing the game it really felt legendary. The controls feel physical, you play with a sense of urgency because enemies are zoning in on you, as much as people have laughed at killzone 2, it’s certainly a game for its time.

Be honest GAF what do you think of Killzone 2? The multiplayer servers are now shut down, its flaws are the controls and graphics which I will say are its best features.

Killzone 2 on Elite difficulty is still the best (and hardest) FPS I've ever played.

Edit: Also the Multiplayer was incredible!!!

Last edited:

Fahdis

Bud, I'd wager I've played video games longer than you've been potty trained. If your best retort is "lol, stick to COD." GAF may not be the best place for you, especially if you are so emotionally invested in a dead franchise known for it's horrendous 2nd game's input lag.

I'm guessing you're finally reached the grave at 21 grandpa, but I would assume that a game like this would be up your alley. I guess arguing about dead franchises at your age would make sense. But that's the thing, "input lag in the game was horrendous so it deterred me from enjoying the game", ok get on with it then. Why are you in this thread anymore? Any excuse to not say you sucked at it, no accountability. Pray do tell, did you even finish the game, or are you the 30 minutes into the game word warrior? And GAF suits me just fine, you have REEEE to go back to pal.

I'm guessing you're finally reached the grave at 21 grandpa, but I would assume that a game like this would be up your alley. I guess arguing about dead franchises at your age would make sense. But that's the thing, "input lag in the game was horrendous so it deterred me from enjoying the game", ok get on with it then. Why are you in this thread anymore? Any excuse to not say you sucked at it, no accountability. Pray do tell, did you even finish the game, or are you the 30 minutes into the game word warrior? And GAF suits me just fine, you have REEEE to go back to pal.
Aww..You're a bucket of sunshine huh? I can say that I remember slogging through the mess of a game until a final push in a giant courtyard, probably 6 or so hours if I remember correctly. Look, I get you love it, but it's apparent from the sales and general response as to why the game was a failure, and it's horrendous input lag is only one of the reasons. You may not like that, but it's the truth bud.

And why not come in here and give it my opinion? You want a circle-jerk hug fest over a mediocre game? Not sure what your point is, or even if you know what your point is. Usually the people telling people to go to REEE are just projecting because their feelings are hurt. The game had awesome graphics and art direction.....Good enough to keep people talking about it, not it's trite ass story or gameplay.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I remember not thinking it was that great back when I played through the main campaign back in those days. The gameplay felt dull to me. I'm pretty sure I played it after playing a lot of Crysis back then and for me Crysis' gameplay flexibility and sandbox made fps games like Killzone feel generic and boring. Looking at videos on Youtube it still doesn't look very exciting to me. I remember enjoying Killzone 3 more.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Aww..You're a bucket of sunshine huh? I can say that I remember slogging through the mess of a game until a final push in a giant courtyard, probably 6 or so hours if I remember correctly. Look, I get you love it, but it's apparent from the sales and general response as to why the game was a failure, and it's horrendous input lag is only one of the reasons. You may not like that, but it's the truth bud.

And why not come in here and give it my opinion? You want a circle-jerk hug fest over a mediocre game? Not sure what your point is, or even if you know what your point is. Usually the people telling people to go to REEE are just projecting because their feelings are hurt. The game had awesome graphics and art direction.....Good enough to keep people talking about it, not it's trite ass story or gameplay.

Awww bless, I want to say so much but you are really not worth my time. Cheers mate. Keep the haterade and your own projections to yourself.

I remember somehow playing this WAY late, into the PS4 life span sometime, and I still thought it looked fantastic. The art direction sometimes reminded me of Children Of Men. A lot of...dirt? It fits.

I just remember that I liked it a lot overall. Time to replay at some point, still have my PS3 and the games.

Unknown?

Sony needs to revisit some of it's franchises from PS3 era.

This, Warhawk and Motorstorm.

I don't know what they're waiting for.
Motor storm sold worse with every sequel and Apocalypse flopped hard. Although things are different today so maybe a sequel could see success.

Top Bottom