• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Peterson has covid-19

cheezcake

Can some of the daddy lobster haters explain what's so bad about him? The one thing I can think of is his vagueness,, but that's what you get when you talk about mostly metaphysical topics. Anything else?

He got famous by trying to stop a bill which enforces compelled speech for trans people else discrimination. That position (which is free speech oriented) gets easily mischaracterised as transphobic. The rest is bitch eating crackers syndrome.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Does anyone think Peterson's perspectives on life will change at all based on what he's been through? Or do you think it'll reinforce his current philosophy?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Everyone either already has Covid-19 or will eventually get it because it has become endemic. Like the common cold or influenza, it will never go away but will cycle through phases of regression and resurgence depending on the season. Hence, what determines survival in the long run is the strength of one's immune system and subsequently whether or not they'll be asymptomatic or symptomatic.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Reinforce.

Peterson was always very aware of the darkest truths of life. He is no stranger to suffering.

Disclaimer I know, I am talking only about some subset of his teachings and yes he has a lot of interesting things to say, however how much practical are they, I am not sure about it. I was hooked to teachings of Peterson at one point in my life and that...did not help. Which may be my fault, but it also shows that applying same standard to everyone is not helpful.

So reinforce taking responsibility, getting things in order and stuff like that? Not sure, him being surprise what Benzos do during that podcast, while being clinical Psychologist and thus I would expect him to know about effect of psycho active drugs. Because old J. Peterson would whoop the ass of current one. If he came out with same tough stuff about having everything in order, be strong, etc. He would be nothing more than virtue signaller who cannot live up to standard of what he is preaching. Well to be honest most men does this, including me...in the past.

And it was also anxienty > Benzos which fucked me up, but due to magic of modern medicine I somewhat got out of it.

So it's terrible what he been through including his sick wife, his daughter which probably something which I have (Psoriasis), however getting addicted to probably worst drug know to mankind (go search of what Benzo w/d do and how long it takes to get out of the system and how illegal drug addict have it easier to overcome their addiction), is polar opposite of "responsibility", "order", etc.

And my lack of emphaty in here is result of his apathy towards deep pit of mental issues and some broather inspection of why people get addicted in a first place. Which he should know better.

Ironically enough, his disconnect between reality and his preachings could very well be due to Benzos themselves, he even admit something along those lines in that podcast from Serbia.

And again tallest trees fall the hardest.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hope he recovers - his is a voice that we need, though perhaps not one we deserve. It's easy to say that he simply repackages age-old wisdom for modern times, in part because it is mostly true, but there is value in that repackaging in that it places it before the eyes of those who would otherwise miss it. Good advice is useful, and the 12 rules are precisely that.

A reminder:

Rule 1 Stand up straight with your shoulders back
- Hell yeah. Your outward appearance affects how others treat you, which affects your mental state. I've offered similar advice, a kind of fake it til you make it, to students being bullied and it was effective. As a teacher I do of course have to give bullies some shit, but the best I can do is to give them the tools to not be bullied. Overall the policy worked pretty well.

Rule 2 Treat yourself like you would someone you are responsible for helping
- Given all of us can give good advice to other people but then forget to do the same for ourselves, there is some value here. Why not take yourself out, into the third person, and ask what you'd advise someone in the same situation?

Rule 3 Make friends with people who want the best for you
- The number of people I've known over the years who were held back by their friends is astonishing. Much failure comes from that - friends who resent success, or don't support you, or worse actively hold you back by dragging you into their shit.

Rule 4 Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today
- Again a sensible option. Others may be further along the path to success, that doesn't mean you can't get there, but there's little point a 20 year old who hasn't done anything yet comparing themselves to a 50 year old who's been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and acquired the material possessions and life success that brings.

Rule 5 Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
- Seems like a pretty obvious and sensible rule for deciding how to handle discipline.

Rule 6 Set your house in perfect order before you criticise the world
- Repackaging the old saying 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'. We'd all do well to follow that one - if nothing else we'd see fewer Twitter mobs.

Rule 7 Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
- Delayed gratification? What is this shit? Oh wait, yep, the foundation to civilisation itself.

Rule 8 Tell the truth – or, at least, don’t lie
- I would extend that by adding that one should not lie to oneself. Too many people engage in deception.

Rule 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t
- Every online debate would be more civilised this way. I remember waaaay back when I first arrived and still had a bit of the screeching REEer in me (having fled RPS' god-awfulness) and I was being a bit of a prick to DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi - but he was so patient and civilised (and to be fair lots of others were too, but he stands out because he does it so often) and honestly he must be practicing that approach - it helped me so much and I honestly wish I could be better at rule 9.

Rule 10 Be precise in your speech
- One of the biggest difficulties faced by the poorest kids was not a failing of intellect necessarily, nor a lack of academic capability, but communication. They would shout abuse at each other instead of stopping to take the time to explain their issues. Precision in speech is vital because if we can't communicate properly with each other how are we ever going to improve our own understanding of the world and truly debate issues? In many ways it's a partner rule to rule 9.

Rule 11 Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding
- Kids will do stupid shit, but they'll learn from falling off their skateboards. Leave them to it.

Rule 12 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street
- I always do because I love cats, but that's the literal take. Taking some time out to enjoy the small joys in life is good for your mental health, so damn well do it. Take the time to look at that lovely sports car someone's parked up. Enjoy the lovely pair of jiggling tits on the jogger. Smell the air when someone's just cut the grass. Life has good things and just skipping them to get to other 'more important' things misses something vital in life.

So, yeah I think he's a good guy. His rules are sensible. Now go clean your fucking room, it's a mess.

Hope he recovers - his is a voice that we need, though perhaps not one we deserve. It's easy to say that he simply repackages age-old wisdom for modern times, in part because it is mostly true, but there is value in that repackaging in that it places it before the eyes of those who would otherwise miss it. Good advice is useful, and the 12 rules are precisely that.

A reminder:

Rule 1 Stand up straight with your shoulders back
- Hell yeah. Your outward appearance affects how others treat you, which affects your mental state. I've offered similar advice, a kind of fake it til you make it, to students being bullied and it was effective. As a teacher I do of course have to give bullies some shit, but the best I can do is to give them the tools to not be bullied. Overall the policy worked pretty well.

Rule 2 Treat yourself like you would someone you are responsible for helping
- Given all of us can give good advice to other people but then forget to do the same for ourselves, there is some value here. Why not take yourself out, into the third person, and ask what you'd advise someone in the same situation?

Rule 3 Make friends with people who want the best for you
- The number of people I've known over the years who were held back by their friends is astonishing. Much failure comes from that - friends who resent success, or don't support you, or worse actively hold you back by dragging you into their shit.

Rule 4 Compare yourself with who you were yesterday, not with who someone else is today
- Again a sensible option. Others may be further along the path to success, that doesn't mean you can't get there, but there's little point a 20 year old who hasn't done anything yet comparing themselves to a 50 year old who's been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and acquired the material possessions and life success that brings.

Rule 5 Do not let your children do anything that makes you dislike them
- Seems like a pretty obvious and sensible rule for deciding how to handle discipline.

Rule 6 Set your house in perfect order before you criticise the world
- Repackaging the old saying 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'. We'd all do well to follow that one - if nothing else we'd see fewer Twitter mobs.

Rule 7 Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)
- Delayed gratification? What is this shit? Oh wait, yep, the foundation to civilisation itself.

Rule 8 Tell the truth – or, at least, don’t lie
- I would extend that by adding that one should not lie to oneself. Too many people engage in deception.

Rule 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t
- Every online debate would be more civilised this way. I remember waaaay back when I first arrived and still had a bit of the screeching REEer in me (having fled RPS' god-awfulness) and I was being a bit of a prick to DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi - but he was so patient and civilised (and to be fair lots of others were too, but he stands out because he does it so often) and honestly he must be practicing that approach - it helped me so much and I honestly wish I could be better at rule 9.

- One of the biggest difficulties faced by the poorest kids was not a failing of intellect necessarily, nor a lack of academic capability, but communication. They would shout abuse at each other instead of stopping to take the time to explain their issues. Precision in speech is vital because if we can't communicate properly with each other how are we ever going to improve our own understanding of the world and truly debate issues? In many ways it's a partner rule to rule 9.

Rule 11 Do not bother children when they are skate-boarding
- Kids will do stupid shit, but they'll learn from falling off their skateboards. Leave them to it.

Rule 12 Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street
- I always do because I love cats, but that's the literal take. Taking some time out to enjoy the small joys in life is good for your mental health, so damn well do it. Take the time to look at that lovely sports car someone's parked up. Enjoy the lovely pair of jiggling tits on the jogger. Smell the air when someone's just cut the grass. Life has good things and just skipping them to get to other 'more important' things misses something vital in life.

So, yeah I think he's a good guy. His rules are sensible. Now go clean your fucking room, it's a mess.
Hey thanks for the mention. To be honest I don't remember you ever being a screecher :goog_grinning_sweat:

These are the 12 rules from his book, correct? I've never read it but I do recognize some of the ideas in here from his other lectures. Out of all his hours and hours of content, I've invested the most time into his biblical allegory series. I think Peterson's attitude toward religion -- politely denying the spiritual aspects that he does not believe, but otherwise acknowledging the pragmatic social benefits -- is the next model for pop secularism. I also think he / his daughter will be instrumental in popularizing the carnivore diet, but that's down the road. I disagree with many of his conclusions about the Bible. But that's okay. People who speak their mind are bound to say something you disagree with, and Peterson is the sort of person who regularly tried to speak his half-formed ideas and his impressions (though he meticulously gives himself caveats to make sure he is not misunderstood).

I would rather hear the honest, imperfect, cutting-edge thoughts of a lucid thinker than to hear the sterile, packaged opinions of someone living in fear of the school board and PTA. Peterson fits into the former category, and I think his detractors tend to fit into the latter category.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hey thanks for the mention. To be honest I don't remember you ever being a screecher :goog_grinning_sweat:

If I recall it was guns. Certainly I was never a social justice screecher, but I didn't really get the American conservative view of guns, and still had some daft ideas about conservatives in general that had come from years of being a big old leftie.

I should probably check the biblical stuff at some point. Honesty though I can never be a believer I do think there's value in the bible as it informed the development of Western culture, which is quite clearly fucking amazing and something we should all defend more against the barbarians at the gate. I have also come to respect more the need for those with religious convictions to have the right to follow those convictions (ie not having to bake the cake) though I do draw the line at say the Jehovah's Witnesses not letting their kids have vital medical treatments to save their lives (because the kid didn't get to choose their religion - adults can make informed choices in ways that kids cannot).

Last edited by a moderator:

Tesseract

Banned
experts fall into the same traps as everyone else, knowledge only takes you so far and most people are inherently paradoxical in some way or another

you needn't know better to lose your better angels and become a junkie

dependency be dat way, dude studied alcoholism for years so i'm sure the parallels hit him like a ton of bricks once the effects wilted his bones and soul down to nothing

the difference is he was incredibly productive over those years, encouraging people to do as he says, not does which is where the sting hits hardest since the man fell short of the legend

i hope he recovers and comes back stronger than ever, something tells me he will

Last edited:

karasu

But see, he already told us how smart he is. Too smart. So smart he can’t even explain it to us. You know how in that song, the guy is too sexy for his shirt. Well that’s how this guy is, but with smart.
I'm smart enough to know that I can't win. I do not have the power or the charm to change half a dozen people's minds about a thought leader/guru type. I don't fight battles I cant win. I thought I was just making a throwaway post and didn't foresee this level of pushback. My apologies for that.

Tesseract

Banned
I'm smart enough to know that I can't win. I do not have the power or the charm to change half a dozen people's minds about a thought leader/guru type. I don't fight battles I cant win. I thought I was just making a throwaway post and didn't foresee this level of pushback. My apologies for that.
that's not what's happening here at all, i think you are protesting against a collectivist shadow that doesn't exist

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Does it matter if you change minds? You don't have to win every debate. If nothing else, explaining your viewpoint can do wonders for your own clarity - it helps you to think through the logical steps to reach a particular conclusion and check if there's any logical inconsistencies. Honestly I find writing stuff out is incredibly good for that (I do often find out that I'm full of shit though, which can be a bit bruising for the ego). Also don't forget it's not just the people who participate in the thread that are reading, it's lurkers too. They might get something from what you have to say. Finally, any idea is only of any use if it's tested in battle. For those with whom you disagree, if you put forward a good cogent argument you'll be doing them a service, giving them a chance to test their ideas in battle, and maybe you might get lucky and meet them in the middle (if you both manage to follow Jordan Peterson's rules* 9 and 10 (sorry, I had to do it). You might even make a friend from across the aisle. What more could you want?

* Rule 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t

Last edited by a moderator:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm smart enough to know that I can't win.

Why is this about "winning" to you..? Why isn't it just about contributing with your to-the-point opinion? I dare even say that I can guarantee that you would not get a fraction of the pushback you're getting had you just given your honest non-toxic opinion instead of acting sly.

And to be clear: I like Peterson, but I don't always agree with him, and that's how things should work in the first place so-to-speak.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Disclaimer I know, I am talking only about some subset of his teachings and yes he has a lot of interesting things to say, however how much practical are they, I am not sure about it. I was hooked to teachings of Peterson at one point in my life and that...did not help. Which may be my fault, but it also shows that applying same standard to everyone is not helpful.

So reinforce taking responsibility, getting things in order and stuff like that? Not sure, him being surprise what Benzos do during that podcast, while being clinical Psychologist and thus I would expect him to know about effect of psycho active drugs. Because old J. Peterson would whoop the ass of current one. If he came out with same tough stuff about having everything in order, be strong, etc. He would be nothing more than virtue signaller who cannot live up to standard of what he is preaching. Well to be honest most men does this, including me...in the past.

And it was also anxienty > Benzos which fucked me up, but due to magic of modern medicine I somewhat got out of it.

So it's terrible what he been through including his sick wife, his daughter which probably something which I have (Psoriasis), however getting addicted to probably worst drug know to mankind (go search of what Benzo w/d do and how long it takes to get out of the system and how illegal drug addict have it easier to overcome their addiction), is polar opposite of "responsibility", "order", etc.

And my lack of emphaty in here is result of his apathy towards deep pit of mental issues and some broather inspection of why people get addicted in a first place. Which he should know better.

Ironically enough, his disconnect between reality and his preachings could very well be due to Benzos themselves, he even admit something along those lines in that podcast from Serbia.

And again tallest trees fall the hardest.

I get your disappointment but he never pretended being a perfect man or that he doesn't make mistakes. In fact, in his book and interviews, he said many times how insufficient men can be and how powerful is the force of corruption. I even remember him saying it was entirely possible he messes with something and his carrear was finished overnight. We don't know the nuances of his life. Sometimes things are not as clear as we thought to be.

Also, the knowledge of his book is not owned by one single man. They are teachings made with a lot of trial and error by generations of people. Even if professor Peterson got insane, his book is sound advice and the way he explained why it is sound advice continues to be an achievement. Following all its rules are no easy task for anyone.

Nobody thinks Nietzsche's books are worthless because he got crazy in the end of his life.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I think your initial generalizing take was off base, but I can't blame you for not wanting to engage with a bunch of people all calling you out at once.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
sometimes you gotta hold your feet to the fire and fall on the field, you don't get pity points without making an effort

we've all been piled by storms of ninjas here or there, comes with the territory
Also how will he know if anyone agrees with him and is willing to support him if he doesn’t give them a flag to rally to?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

On one hand, you could explain your viewpoint and we can have a discussion that allows us to know you better and maybe see a new point of view, even if it doesn't change our opinions all that greatly - if at all.

On the other hand, you can continue to do what you have been doing and lose any and all respect by the community here.

I would go with the first option.

karasu

On one hand, you could explain your viewpoint and we can have a discussion that allows us to know you better and maybe see a new point of view, even if it doesn't change our opinions all that greatly - if at all.

On the other hand, you can continue to do what you have been doing and lose any and all respect by the community here.

I would go with the first option.
lol I'm losing people's respect? I've posted here for like fifteen years and nobody knows who I am. I never had any respect.

Amory

Made the mistake of looking at the JP thread on the shithole forum. They're predictably giddy.

If you hate Jordan Peterson the one with a problem is you. All he does is try to help people get their lives in order (and he's helped many people do just that). If you're not interested just ignore him, you don't have to hope the guy fuckin dies

Tesseract

Banned
i was aware of some of that stuff, not all

she's def out there, appearance on jre put her all over the map on several issues and it seems clear she has difficulty separating wheat from chaff on important medical issues

weird disconnect from her father, hope he's being treated well ...

Amory

Jesus he's got to stop listening to her if all that's true. Dude's gonna end up dead

Based on what he's said in his JRE interviews, Peterson seems extremely susceptible to new age diets and medicine. Which is strange because he's an intelligent and skeptical guy overall.

Tesseract

Banned
elimination diet is good for autoimmune stuff, problem is when you go all in and make claims about radical healing properties that may have more to do with cutting out other foods

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does the benzodiazepine prescription match up with his trying the carnivore diet? I think that timeline may be off a bit, since he didn't begin eating meat only until 2018. Maybe I'm getting something wrong.

As someone who does do basically meat only 80% of the time, I personally doubt it is the cause of any of his issues. Tons of other people without the same kind of food allergies also use the diet to great success to get slim, strong and healthy.

Top Bottom