• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johnny Depp Allegedly Uses an Earpiece to Feed Him Lines

Honestly, if you can stay in full character while winging it as someone feeds you lines that pretty god damn impressive anyway.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I know this thread isn't about "hey hes not doing the real work!" and about his entitlement..

But strictly speaking acting with someone feeding lines into your earpiece seams more impressive than if you had them memorized? I know Marlon Brando did it, and the idea of performing off the cuff by lines fed to you on a moment to moment basis seems like a pretty incredible skill. As opposed to having it all memorized and rehearsed.

...is that real.... and they edited it out in the film?

The shot is mostly from Tom's backside. I believe this is the scene when Tom asks why he's being cut out, but I forget.

Robert Duval gave an interview where he said that Brando read almost all of his lines from a sign off-set in 'The Garden Scene' one of the scenes with him and Michael early in the film. Never would have noticed it watching if you're not looking for it... You just think it's a quirk of his character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxFEOJo874

eot

Banned
Fuck this guy, no one needs that kind of excess. Worse still is to feel entitled to it

RDreamer

Why would the earpiece thing even matter? He's acting in movies that will do hundreds of takes, paint him up digitally, splice different takes, and do all sorts of stuff. This isn't the fucking stage. Nothing is 'real' anyway. If it saves him thousands of hours and he can still to the actual work there's really no problem with it.

Hell the earpiece could be a good business move. With it he could possibly do more movies even better rather than mixing up lines and having to save time to memorize everything.

Chumley

Banned
He improvs every single one of his lines over all five movies?

I don't know about every single line but his freewheeling performance style has been well documented ever since the first film. There's no way he's being fed lines.

I know the dude is rich. But I hope he's keeping track of his finances and doesn't end up broke and desperate--doing direct to dvd movies.

RDreamer

I don't know about every single line but his freewheeling performance style has been well documented ever since the first film. There's no way he's being fed lines.

Being fed lines wouldn't mean he can't perform loosely and ad lib things.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Eh, delivery is all that counts anyway.

In most of is output sure. However, it's TREMENDOUSLY disrespectful of the other actors. They all worked harder than he did. And it's not like he's effing Laurence Olivier. Dude is doing a one note amble through his career where makeup and funny voices are his entire range.

As others have noted, this kind of thing is what happens when you get old, or are ill etc.

Loxley

My favorite example of Brando not bothering to memorize his lines was when, for Superman, he literally had post-it notes stickied to baby Kal-el's diaper with his lines written on them.

Ck83a7Y.jpg

Aselith

Well, if he can do that and make enough to make it worth it, good on him. It's not like he's plagarizing or something. His job is to act the lines out and generally memorization is part of that but if you have the cash skipping it seems like a good option.

I don't have a single issue with this, especially if he has physical or mental disabilities now.

I would be ok witv this becoming more widespread if it means more actors and actresses with ADHD, asperger, autism, downs, blindness, and dyslexia are able to prosper.

shoelacer

Banned
Not that unusual. A guy I know who was an extra on The Departed mentioned Nicholson had the same thing. He flipped the fuck out when the guy on the other end didn't do it to his liking, too.

bunbun777

14 residences, whatever. I guess one of those is that island he bought unless he's sold it. Am I jealous, not really, but it does affirm my belief the guy is a bit of a chod. Maybe the residences are more of an investment and not just extravagant ego splurging.

liquidtmd

Banned
TMG says Depp's sense of entitlement is "clear and epic," as evidenced by his recent interview with The Wall Street Journal — in which he said, “It's my money. If I want to buy 15,000 cotton balls a day, it's my thing."

Hmm he may be an ass, but why is this entitlement?

I go to work. I earn money. The money is mine. I can spend it on whatever I choose. Same applies to all.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
yeah, I don't see why anyone would give a fuck. unless you could point at the earpiece as the time where Johnny Depp started being kind of shit. Otherwise, who cares. My enjoyment of a movie does not hinge on lines being memorized.

dh4niel

The 'financial problems' are somewhat believable. We've had several celebrities now buying a ton of pointless extravagant shit and then wonder where all the money went.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
The shot is mostly from Tom's backside. I believe this is the scene when Tom asks why he's being cut out, but I forget.

Robert Duval gave an interview where he said that Brando read almost all of his lines from a sign off-set in 'The Garden Scene' one of the scenes with him and Michael early in the film. Never would have noticed it watching if you're not looking for it... You just think it's a quirk of his character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJxFEOJo874

Wouldn't that have been after Sonny was killed?

that scene in the movie is when The Godfather askes if mr waltz has balls, and they are discussing whether they should get into narcotics or not. If they dont they will lose all their political power etc and the families will come after them.

Top Bottom