• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: "Final Fantasy IX Remake is real, that is real and happening"

The Shepard

Very doubtful they would skip FFVIII when it sold twice as many units as FFIX.
And even the Remaster got a physical release.
it's literally the biggest FF after VII followed by X.

I'm hoping the 7 Remake team jump on this after 7remake trilogy is finished. 9 looks like it'll be a different team and more traditional.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm hoping the 7 Remake team jump on this after 7remake trilogy is finished. 9 looks like it'll be a different team and more traditional.
Yeah I think 7 Remake style maybe more suited to 8 with Squalls Gunblade then 9.
Although I still think 9 will be similar but different.

Go_Ly_Dow

Do not listen to this guy.

Was he not among the insiders who were hyping up the previous PlayStation Showcase and ended up being very wrong about that on multiple levels? Now we get a rumor about something that is said to be a PlayStation exclusive, and here again the insiders come crawling out to hype it up. What if this remake doesn't actually exist? What if it does exist but it's closer to a HD Remaster?

I can't exactly recall what Grubb said about the PlayStation Showcase so if he wasn't among those hyping that up with stuff that ultimately never happened, fine. And I know it is kinda funny to say don't listen to him when I actually did listen to them about the Hifi Rush stuff but that is Xbox-related and he has a much better track record about Xbox-related things. This isn't Xbox-related so bring some extreme grains of salt to the table.

1. Nvidia Leak

2. New big FF announcement this year, not FFVII related. I think either something to do with 9 or 10. Tactics Remaster wouldn't be BIG, but very nice lol.

3. FF9 Animation in the works

Chukhopops

It's going to be three games again right
Pick your poison:
- minimal budget remake with AI upscaling of the backgrounds, running at 26 fps like Chrono Cross;
- complete reimagining with time ghosts, action-based gameplay, you meet Kuja in the first 30 mins and the full game happens in Alexandria.

Or there’s a small chance it’s a good remake like Trials of Mana or Tactics Ogre.

Elysion

Banned
At that point, why not just upres the original backgrounds and be done with it? 3d models in real-time won't look as good as pre rendered.

3d environments allow for things like dynamic camera angles, which games like FF10 or the classic God of War trilogy used to great effect, though I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to pre-rendered backgrounds.

Dis

I want it to be like memoria project
HD revamped tetra master
Traditional turn based combat, make it like 10 where you can switch out party members.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
1. Nvidia Leak

2. New big FF announcement this year, not FFVII related. I think either something to do with 9 or 10. Tactics Remaster wouldn't be BIG, but very nice lol.

3. FF9 Animation in the works

Add this to the pile

Varteras

Gold Member
Not sure if thread worthy but ResetEra is saying that FFX is next, not IX.

IIRC, that same person said that FF9 remake was in the works and is two years away. If SE is going all in on remakes, like Capcom, we could easily see FF9 followed by FF10 a year later.

Zuzu

I'd be interested to see them remake it in the more realistic style similar to FF7 Remake. I like it when remakes have their own special identity and build significantly upon the original by changing and adding their own unique style, features and story. Remakes that are mostly just graphical revamps aren't as interesting to me. Then we can have the remaster version for the original vision of the game and a unique remake which gives us a fresh, new vision for the game.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Specifically says:

No idea how accurate they are though

They might have meant that's the next remake after the ones we "know about". Because I'm pretty sure they were already quoted on ResetEra as having said the FF9 remake is two years out. Which would put it in 2025. We'll see how accurate they are.

Top Bottom