• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: "Final Fantasy IX Remake is real, that is real and happening"

Imagine if the remake was 2d or if the entire game was about chasing a softdrink. Also they should include an in-game web browser to a playonline site for in game hints and all the in game browser links go to 404s

I like it.....back in the day....playing now...is slow, not really that much of a strategy going on...just a menu selection game
Ok, but it's an old game. I wouldn't ask for a remaster of Snake Eater and demand it be changed to doom style fps action-only, for instance.

Elysion

Banned
I‘m hoping for 3d environments with fixed camera angles, like FF10. That would be a nice compromise between the original‘s pre-rendered backgrounds and the series‘ later 3d environments. It would also serve to keep the budget in check, since they wouldn’t have to fully model every environment, but only the parts that we can actually see.

I also hope there‘s a proper traversable world map (but with a bigger scale than the original), as well as airships that we can control.

I just pray to god that this isn’t some chibi shit or something like that, but a proper, faithful remake, even if it‘s not on the same scale as the FF7 remakes.

lyan

IX is fine for what it is, I would appreciate a gunblade action battle as Squall against Seifer in something like Dissidia-style more.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Good luck. Having replayed the game not too long ago, I was reminded that it has several scenes that would stir a lot of shit in the west these days. Zidane and Eiko get downright rapey in a couple of scenes, and Quina appears like they thought “let’s have all the existing kinds of minorities in a single character”. I also doubt they can keep the original game’s whimsical tone these days. I wish this turns out well, but there’s so many ways this can turn out wrong. And it probably won’t launch on Xbox anyway.

i like the way octopath looks. It has a nice 2d look to it with some nice improvements
I do too. That makes sense for FF1-6 and stuff like that, but I don't see it working for FFIX with 3D characters and CG backgrounds. It would be odd, to take the HD pixel route for that game.

But, speaking of HD2D remakes, where the hell is Dragon Quest 3 Remake? That game looked perfect, but it just went completely MIA.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I do too. That makes sense for FF1-6 and stuff like that, but I don't see it working for FFIX with 3D characters and CG backgrounds. It would be odd, to take the HD pixel route for that game.

But, speaking of HD2D remakes, where the hell is Dragon Quest 3 Remake? That game looked perfect, but it just went completely MIA.
Holy smokes you are right. I kept thinking of Ff6. 100% agree

Last edited:
That would be great! But haven't this been a rumour for a while now? Think We've heard it at least 2 years ago. Anyways, it's a good time to be Square fan right now that's for sure

AJUMP23

Gold Member
FF9 is one of my favorites. I loved Vivi and actually have a stuffed one that I got from Square for online points or something. Also the song in the game is a real tear jerker.

Elios83

This has been like their worst kept secret since the nVidia leak.
Really looking forward to it not only because it's a great game but it will be a rare chance to see that kind of artstyle with a AAA budget or at least I hope so.

TheAssist

Interesting if true.
Its weird how in my head a FF9 remake can be more traditional, meaning top down and turn based just with updated graphics and some mechanical upgrades while the same same doesn't apply to seven, which in my head head always need to me more "modern" meaning basically what they made. FF7 simply screams the reinvention of what a FF can be and 9 is the embodiment of the FF roots.

I dont mind remakes if they are good, so I'm looking forward to this.

simpatico

One of my favorite FF games, but I don't see the commercial incentive for them to do this one. Especially if we're expecting the same scope and budget of FFVII.

At this rate we will have a remake for all 3 final fantasy 13's stating next year along with Saga Frontier.

Seems reports of Squares woes are coming true with how hard they are relying on revisiting their catalog, they might even translate and release all those Front Mission games in English.

It doesn't take an insider to know this. It was part of the Nvidia leak.

Can I be an insider to if I tell you now that they're making a Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster, as well?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Very doubtful they would skip FFVIII when it sold twice as many units as FFIX.
And even the Remaster got a physical release.
it's literally the biggest FF after VII followed by X.
Maybe they think that FFVIII benefited from FFVII and FFIX was hurt by FFVIII.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Does he mention in what style? I’m hoping not ff7 style and more octopath
From what I’m seeing from an article earlier…it’s not to the scope of FFVII Remake. It’s not to the point of a full blown remake like that, but it’s also not low on the scale to where it’s a remaster type release. They also said it will maintain the turn based/atb battle system and won’t be action based like 7.

All this added, I’m assuming, like I’ve said multiple times on Gaf before, that it will be a 2dhd type remake in the realm of Octopath.

Myths

I mean we had the leak a year or two ago as far as a list. Dropped everything and came quick when I heard this resurfaced once more. I do wonder how they would go about the character and world design considering the chibi decision in the original (as a homage to the first 6 games).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe they think that FFVIII benefited from FFVII and FFIX was hurt by FFVIII.
FFIX was hurt by releasing at the launch of the PS2 and having a main character walking around with a......well as you can see
ZidaneTribal.png

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

And the combat is painfully slow, and the characters are probably probably the only ones in the whole series I don't really remember that well outside of Vivi & Steiner, Don't get me wrong it's still a good FF game but it's probably the least memorable FF out of all of them for me.

FFIX was hurt by releasing at the launch of the PS2 and having a main character walking around with a......well as you can see
ZidaneTribal.png

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

And the combat is painfully slow, and the characters are probably probably the only ones in the whole series I don't really remember that well outside of Vivi & Steiner, Don't get me wrong it's still a good FF game but it's probably the least memorable FF out of all of them for me.
vivi has the same "issue"

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
The best Final Fantasy gets a lesser remake than the most overrated. Humorous... But also painful. Not that FF IX needs to be remade.

Brigandier

IX is the only FF I have never replayed, I want to but everytime I tried on PS3,4 or 5 the horrific battle performance made me stop it's so awful.

I welcome a remake or a very substantial remaster.

Best field music!!! Even better than Xenogears which is great.

Do not listen to this guy.

Was he not among the insiders who were hyping up the previous PlayStation Showcase and ended up being very wrong about that on multiple levels? Now we get a rumor about something that is said to be a PlayStation exclusive, and here again the insiders come crawling out to hype it up. What if this remake doesn't actually exist? What if it does exist but it's closer to a HD Remaster?

I can't exactly recall what Grubb said about the PlayStation Showcase so if he wasn't among those hyping that up with stuff that ultimately never happened, fine. And I know it is kinda funny to say don't listen to him when I actually did listen to them about the Hifi Rush stuff but that is Xbox-related and he has a much better track record about Xbox-related things. This isn't Xbox-related so bring some extreme grains of salt to the table.

H4ze

This thread is full of miserable old assholes xD muhh ff7R is sooo bud muhh muhhh

Pathetic.

Btt: Awesome, I really loved IX and also enjoyed ff7R, so i will be there, maybe not day one, but I will get it.

Ar¢tos

It prints money! It's milking the IPs dry.

PS4 - FF7 Remake Part 1
PS5 - FF7 Remake Part 1 Intergrade + DLC
PS5 - FF7 Remake Part 2
PS6 - FF7 Remake Part 1 Intergrade Remaster
PS6 - FF7 Remake Part 2 Intergrade + DLC
PS6 - FF7 Remake Part 3
PS7 - FF7 Remake Part 1 Intergrade Remaster Remaster
PS7 - FF7 Remake Part 2 Intergrade Remaster
PS7 - FF7 Remake Part 3 Intergrade + DLC
PS7 - FF7 Remake Full Trilogy + DLC + QoL improvements (1 year later)

Rinse and repeat with FF9 up to PS9 or PS10.

hyperbertha

I‘m hoping for 3d environments with fixed camera angles, like FF10. That would be a nice compromise between the original‘s pre-rendered backgrounds and the series‘ later 3d environments. It would also serve to keep the budget in check, since they wouldn’t have to fully model every environment, but only the parts that we can actually see.

I also hope there‘s a proper traversable world map (but with a bigger scale than the original), as well as airships that we can control.

I just pray to god that this isn’t some chibi shit or something like that, but a proper, faithful remake, even if it‘s not on the same scale as the FF7 remakes.
At that point, why not just upres the original backgrounds and be done with it? 3d models in real-time won't look as good as pre rendered.

sendit

It prints money! It's milking the IPs dry.

PS4 - FF7 Remake Part 1
PS5 - FF7 Remake Part 1 Intergrade + DLC
PS5 - FF7 Remake Part 2
PS6 - FF7 Remake Part 1 Intergrade Remaster
PS6 - FF7 Remake Part 2 Intergrade + DLC
PS6 - FF7 Remake Part 3
PS7 - FF7 Remake Part 1 Intergrade Remaster Remaster
PS7 - FF7 Remake Part 2 Intergrade Remaster
PS7 - FF7 Remake Part 3 Intergrade + DLC
PS7 - FF7 Remake Full Trilogy + DLC + QoL improvements (1 year later)

Rinse and repeat with FF9 up to PS9 or PS10.

Should have used a better example. FF9 in no way even comes close to the popularity of FF7. Final Fantasy 6 maybe.

Ar¢tos

Should have used a better example. FF9 in no way even comes close to the popularity of FF7. Final Fantasy 6 maybe.
If they take a different route of just redoing characters and backgrounds, revamping a bit the battle system and releasing it all in a single game, they'll get my money straight away!
But I doubt they'll resist the temptation to release it in 4 parts and charging the full 70$ for each of them.

Top Bottom