• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jackie Chan's emotional reunion with his original stunt team [PSA: grab some tissues]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamp

Oh please, do people think this is some kind of reunion with his long lost brothers?

He's Jackie Chan, if he really wanted to see any of his original stunt team members since their split in 1992, he could have done so at anytime. And why did they split from Jackie in the first place? Cause they couldn't make a stable living working for Jackie and Jackie made no effort to help elevate his stunt team members to stardom.

It's also ironic how Eric Tsang is hosting the show. Jackie Chan once tried to get Tsang to join his crew, but Tsang decided to go work with Sammo Hung and Andy Lau since "Jackie Chan was unlikely to give him prominent screen time."

Jackie Chan is a stark contrast to Sammo Hung, who has helped many of his stunt and film crew members rise to stardom. Hung is also much willing to share the spotlight with Lau, Fat, and assist in the rise of next gen HK movie stars (e.g. Donnie Yen). Heck, Sammo Hung has even financially supported Jackie Chan's old stunt team members.

Ken Lo and William Duen are both considered the right hand mans of Jackie Chan for a long time. Ken Lo, specifically, been working for Jackie Chan since the first gen stunt team. After 30 years of service, Lo was fired in 2009 without a reason. For his 30 years of service he was at least entitled to 300K HKD in severance pay, but Jackie only gave him 100K and said it's his wife (secretary)'s decision. Ken Lo is now in his late 50, can't land stable jobs, trying to raise 2 kids and rely mostly from support provided by other actors.

William Duen worked for Jackie chan for 20+ years, supposedly never had a raise (can't confirm) and also didn't get much of a severance package. Although Jackie Chan did pretty much get rid of him cause he's a big mouth when it comes to the man's extramarital affairs.

(Yes, Jackie Chan is a legend for his work. However, his political stance, excessive spoiling of his child, shit load of extramarital affairs, recent rip-off films and poor treatment of former workers hardly makes him deserving of the "good guy" meme in my book.)

Thats very interesting, is there anywhere I can read about this more? I would really like to know more about Jacky, Samo Hung and others.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jackie Chan is a stark contrast to Sammo Hung, who has helped many of his stunt and film crew members rise to stardom. Hung is also much willing to share the spotlight with Lau, Fat, and assist in the rise of next gen HK movie stars (e.g. Donnie Yen). Heck, Sammo Hung has even financially supported Jackie Chan's old stunt team members.

Ken Lo and William Duen are both considered the right hand mans of Jackie Chan for a long time. Ken Lo, specifically, been working for Jackie Chan since the first gen stunt team. After 30 years of service, Lo was fired in 2009 without a reason. For his 30 years of service he was at least entitled to 300K HKD in severance pay, but Jackie only gave him 100K and said it's his wife (secretary)'s decision. Ken Lo is now in his late 50, can't land stable jobs, trying to raise 2 kids and rely mostly from support provided by other actors.

William Duen worked for Jackie chan for 20+ years, supposedly never had a raise (can't confirm) and also didn't get much of a severance package. Although Jackie Chan did pretty much get rid of him cause he's a big mouth when it comes to the man's extramarital affairs.

(Yes, Jackie Chan is a legend for his work. However, his political stance, excessive spoiling of his child, shit load of extramarital affairs, recent rip-off films and poor treatment of former workers hardly makes him deserving of the "good guy" meme in my book.)

Welp... that's disappointing. It almost makes this whole thing seem like a PR stunt for him.

akira28

Welp... that's disappointing. It almost makes this whole thing seem like a PR stunt for him.

well they did it for him, to surprise him, right? so I don't see it like that. They do make him sound like a true man of virtue though, instead of just a pretty good guy for the most part.

gogogow

People who don't follow Chinese (entertainment) news won't know what kind of person he is. The same goes for Stephen Chow. He treats his move friends like shit too and only cares about money. A lot of his movie partners/friends/actors who were regulars in his movies parted ways with him. Oh, he also cheated on his GF. They both, Jackie Chan and Stephen Chow are quite similar lol. This was all over the Chinese Entertainment news some years ago.

Oh please, do people think this is some kind of reunion with his long lost brothers?

He's Jackie Chan, if he really wanted to see any of his original stunt team members since their split in 1992, he could have done so at anytime. And why did they split from Jackie in the first place? Cause they couldn't make a stable living working for Jackie and Jackie made no effort to help elevate his stunt team members to stardom.

It's also ironic how Eric Tsang is hosting the show. Jackie Chan once tried to get Tsang to join his crew, but Tsang decided to go work with Sammo Hung and Andy Lau since "Jackie Chan was unlikely to give him prominent screen time."

It's worth noting that a lot of Chinese people have a dislike for Jackie "shagger"Chan. Mostly it stems from in my opinion jealousy of his success (read: money) and the fact that he had affairs. Well, international movie star sleeps with starlets isn't exclusive to Jackie. Strange thing is that he endorses a lot products here in China and on any trip to the supermarket you'll see his face and Eric Tsang (thumb up) on so many products. So I doubt any his brand is toxic as much as the haters like to think.

faridmon

People who don't follow Chinese (entertainment) news won't know what kind of person he is. The same goes for Stephen Chow. He treats his move friends like shit too and only cares about money. A lot of his movie partners/friends/actors who were regulars in his movies parted ways with him. Oh, he also cheated on his GF. They both, Jackie Chan and Stephen Chow are quite similar lol. This was all over the Chinese Entertainment news some years ago.

Can you tell me about Daniel Wu?

I heard he is a decent person, and I ask because I love his movies.

No_Style

You don't need to login to watch it.

Also there goes my long post at the bottom of the last page *sigh*

Thanks for explaining! I don't keep tabs on Chinese entertainment whatsoever but I recognize actors so it's good to get the low down periodically.

Zips

Emotional, but of the sort that seems staged. Maybe it was the overproduction, but I don't think it was actually a surprise for Jackie.

man i don't want to hear about how stephen chow is a douche, that guys movies were my childhood :(

what has he done?

DkfVMKJ.gif

Arkeband

Banned
Got him by the balls? I don't know it seems he is just a hard liner for the party.

His parents sold him because they didn't want him implicated in their drug running (iirc, it's been a long time since I read his book) because the government is so ruthlessly anti-drug - his movies took on a very political nature after his son got caught. When you put two and two together, he's shilling for the party for leniency for his son.

I've also heard sections mentioning the drug running were removed from newer editions of his book (denoted by the "now with a brand new chapter!" sticker or w/e)

Anyway, Jackie Chan still owns, but that's why his movies now have mandatory cutaways where they sing the praises of the party even when it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot. Gotta program the populace.

edit: Dreamgazer seems like he has a way better understanding of Jackie than I do, so take my anecdotal and cursory knowledge with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the rundown. I was really curious.

LiK

I teared up pretty badly. I grew up watching those movies and seeing all of them all old now was also a revelation.

Llyranor

Did Jackie have a falling-out with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao? They did a bunch of movies together, and then nothing. I know Yuen Biao starred with Jackie in Rob-b-hood, and with Sammo in Ip Man The Legend is born, but that's about it.

Do we know exactly why they split up or got cut out. I mean just because they worked together long ago, doesn't mean they have to like each other. People do fight, grow distant, etc. It's often a two way street, just because Chan was popular, we can automatically blame him in any breakup of relations?

dramatis

Do we know exactly why they split up or got cut out. I mean just because they worked together long ago, doesn't mean they have to like each other. People do fight, grow distant, etc. It's often a two way street, just because Chan was popular, we can automatically blame him in any breakup of relations?
You can perhaps excuse ruined friendships with 'two way street', but you sure as hell can't excuse adultery and then the abandonment of a mistress when she got pregnant.

890daca4678c41357f54c9a2e341db62.500x456x1.jpg

LiK

Did Jackie have a falling-out with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao? They did a bunch of movies together, and then nothing. I know Yuen Biao starred with Jackie in Rob-b-hood, and with Sammo in Ip Man The Legend is born, but that's about it.

Not sure but they just ended up doing their own things. Yuen Biao mainly does TV stuff in Hong Kong these days while Sammo Hung is still doing choreography. They stopped working together pretty far back and did their own movies without Jackie. I think it's mainly because they all got super famous and I guess they just went with whatever offers they got.

Wuiji

He's Jackie Chan, if he really wanted to see any of his original stunt team members since their split in 1992, he could have done so at anytime.

It was an emotional moment, but this was my thought as well. He's Jackie Chan, it couldn't have been that difficult to get his people to organise a reunion every now and then if he wanted to hang out with his old brothers.

Granted, sometimes life gets in the way and it becomes a bit difficult for the layperson with limited resources and contacts to make it happen, but this is Jackie Chan.

Dr.Acula

Banned

What, Chow too? That bums me out.

It's worth noting that a lot of Chinese people have a dislike for Jackie "shagger"Chan. Mostly it stems from in my opinion jealousy of his success (read: money) and the fact that he had affairs. Well, international movie star sleeps with starlets isn't exclusive to Jackie. Strange thing is that he endorses a lot products here in China and on any trip to the supermarket you'll see his face and Eric Tsang (thumb up) on so many products. So I doubt any his brand is toxic as much as the haters like to think.

By your logic, a lot of Chinese people will just be disliking any type of successful stars in general...

I would say the general's populace's attitude toward Jackie Chan is just indifference. As long as he does his job well, people won't care. The same also goes with Eric Tsang. They'll both be legends of their relative fields, but no one is going to think they're patron saints in their private lives.

That being said, Chinese actress will be shitted on for life if they were to do the same with their private lives.

For those that will hate Jackie Chan, it boils down mostly to a couple things:
1) He got horrible excuses for his not-so-favorable behaviors. ("I'm poorly educated" is not an excuse for affairs.)

2) Political stance/shilling/HKers feeling betrayed &

3) The guy doesn't elevate anyone

These articles are biased toward the TW/HK view, but you can get an idea:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/kevintang/jackie-chan-offends-chinese-netizen

http://www.theworldofchinese.com/2014/03/10-reasons-why-you-want-to-punch-jackie-chan-in-the-face/

We can't automatically blame him.
The stunt crew team left him by their own will since they needed other jobs/ways of living. With no insurance coverage and poor equipment in the early HK movie production scene - being a stunt man is basically gambling your life for a chance of money and fame. Chan wasn't getting them there so they had to part ways. Is it plausible to say that Jackie Chan probably didn't know how to elevate his team at the time? yes. However, even now, it doesn't seem like he's doing much for those that were with him for the longest time (other than his son.)

And as for Kenneth Lo, most people had an issue with how Chan treated him after a friendship for 30 years. Even if there is a fallout, you don't just short-change someone 2/3 of their severance pay and then just say "my wife did it." Not to mention, 200K HKD is chump change to him. East-Asian culture believe strongly in having loyalty and support among male friends (I chi.) If you really want to treat your old friend as shit, at least take the guts to cut if off clean.

What, Chow too? That bums me out.

Ng Man Tat (Chow's sidekick in almost all of his film pre-2002) has not been on speaking terms with Chow for the past 16 years. That being said, the two are very professional about it. Chow in general has just been growing more and more reclusive over the past decade and people view his private life with more of a curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom