• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jackie Chan's emotional reunion with his original stunt team [PSA: grab some tissues]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoeless

That actually got me to cry quite a lot. Really surprised at how touched I was to see that reunion, especially all their reactions.

China's kind of had Jackie by the balls ever since his son got busted for drugs - my brother lives in China and he saw a new Jackie Chan movie that was basically a shameless Indiana Jones ripoff with a bunch of One China propaganda. I hope he's still enjoying himself, but it seems like he's kind of a puppet at this point.

it's not that China has him by the balls, but that he takes on these movies to provide work for his stunt crew. He actually has a lot of influence with the Chinese government. His son would've received a much harsher punishment if it weren't for him.

Voror

Could have done with the music when the reveal happened to him. It occurs to me I've never actually seen any of his older work. The more I think about it, I can only recall seeing his American films with the Rush Hour movies and Shanghai Knights.

What are considered his best?

Haven't watch the video but this is what i imagine the tearful Jackie Chan will look like...

giphy.gif

Arkeband

Banned
Could have done with the music when the reveal happened to him. It occurs to me I've never actually seen any of his older work. The more I think about it, I can only recall seeing his American films with the Rush Hour movies and Shanghai Knights.

What are considered his best?

Some of his older best stuntwork would be Wheels on Meals, Drunken Master, and maybe Police Story.

RedSwirl

Serves as a reminder that I still need to track down Jackie's late 80's early 90's stuff. Can't figure out the best way to do that.

Ashhong

it's not that China has him by the balls, but that he takes on these movies to provide work for his stunt crew. He actually has a lot of influence with the Chinese government. His son would've received a much harsher punishment if it weren't for him.

Damn is that true? This guy is a fucking amazing human

Pretty good, but I would've enjoyed it without all the close-ups on Chan's eyes, and the slow motion effects when he turned out, was hugging them, etc. Just let it play out natural. Would've hit me harder without them making it so obvious they're trying to pull at my hearstrings.

Qvoth

lost respect for jackie after i found out how he treated his 2 "closest" stunt crew, william duen and ken lo

Szu

Fun little side note.

The one non-Asian guy standing near Stanley Tong is a friend of mine. I was very happy when I learned he accomplished his dream to be a part of this stunt team.

Actually, we've shared a fight scene together.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XU8XwdhmiYU

Our fight starts at 26:40.

Kadin

That was amazing to watch. Jackie is in a class all by himself along with a group of ppl who would do anything for him. Thanks for posting this.

Ashhong

Everyone complaining about the dramatic editing haha. Welcome to reality shows! I thought Gordon Ramsey was bad, China and Korea take it to another level and the viewers love it

Mr_Moogle

Agreed. The "trying super hard to make this even more dramatic" dampened a lot of the impact of the video for me. Just let those raw emotions play out! Sheesh.

Bad music seems to be a theme in Chinese TV. Have you ever watched 'If You are the One'? The music is hilariously bad.

I have nothing but respect for Jackie, even if he had made some questionable choices throughout his life, whether regarding political matters or in his private life. he is a true legend and he really dedicated his whole life into his craft. that video got me a little misty eyes too. hope he really does follow through with that promise of seeing his old crew every year.

What the fuck?

that's Timedog. just ignore his comment on these matters.

KeRaSh

Very emotional video.
On a completely unrelated note, Ninjas suddenly started cutting onions behind me. Ignore the water in my eyes.

ISOM

China's kind of had Jackie by the balls ever since his son got busted for drugs - my brother lives in China and he saw a new Jackie Chan movie that was basically a shameless Indiana Jones ripoff with a bunch of One China propaganda. I hope he's still enjoying himself, but it seems like he's kind of a puppet at this point.

Got him by the balls? I don't know it seems he is just a hard liner for the party.

Jimrpg

Jackie Chan > Everybody Else

I remember all those guys, I remember all those movies.

So good, you know when you get asked, what movies would you like to experience for the first time again? Jackie Chan movies. Those stunts were INCREDIBLE. Now its all computer generated or done with stuntmen.

-BLITZ-

That's amazing T_T. This tells he had a deep beautiful memorable moments behind the scene with the crew. His work, at stage was his home and family. Never seen Jackie crying before.

Is unbelievable that he is only 62 right now. Hope for another 20 more.

Oh please, do people think this is some kind of reunion with his long lost brothers?

He's Jackie Chan, if he really wanted to see any of his original stunt team members since their split in 1992, he could have done so at anytime. And why did they split from Jackie in the first place? Cause they couldn't make a stable living working for Jackie and Jackie made no effort to help elevate his stunt team members to stardom.

It's also ironic how Eric Tsang is hosting the show. Jackie Chan once tried to get Tsang to join his crew, but Tsang decided to go work with Sammo Hung and Andy Lau since "Jackie Chan was unlikely to give him prominent screen time."

Jackie Chan is a stark contrast to Sammo Hung, who has helped many of his stunt and film crew members rise to stardom. Hung is also much willing to share the spotlight with Lau, Fat, and assist in the rise of next gen HK movie stars (e.g. Donnie Yen). Heck, Sammo Hung has even financially supported Jackie Chan's old stunt team members.

lost respect for jackie after i found out how he treated his 2 "closest" stunt crew, william duen and ken lo

Why leave this without explaining???

Yeah, what? lol

Ken Lo and William Duen are both considered the right hand mans of Jackie Chan for a long time. Ken Lo, specifically, been working for Jackie Chan since the first gen stunt team. After 30 years of service, Lo was fired in 2009 without a reason. For his 30 years of service he was at least entitled to 300K HKD in severance pay, but Jackie only gave him 100K and said it's his wife (secretary)'s decision. Ken Lo is now in his late 50, can't land stable jobs, trying to raise 2 kids and rely mostly from support provided by other actors.

William Duen worked for Jackie chan for 20+ years, supposedly never had a raise (can't confirm) and also didn't get much of a severance package. Although Jackie Chan did pretty much get rid of him cause he's a big mouth when it comes to the man's extramarital affairs.

(Yes, Jackie Chan is a legend for his work. However, his political stance, excessive spoiling of his child, shit load of extramarital affairs, recent rip-off films and poor treatment of former workers hardly makes him deserving of the "good guy" meme in my book.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom