• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Thompson sues Facebook for $120 million

bigosc2k

Banned
spats said:
I don't know who to root for here. I hate Facebook and Jack Thompson equally.

So confused. :I

Seriously dude do you have to ask yourself that, it would be Jack, seriously Facebook isn't all that bad since there isn't any random profile whore trying to add you to gain fame, such as Tila Tequilla.

Mileena

Banned
Sean said:
here's the facebook group he's "emotionally distressed" about: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2215436182

f309e
Thanks, joining now.

Loam

Actually he does have a point, he emailed Facebook asking them to remove a derogatory group about him and they ignored his request.

He would probably have a case if:
A) He asked for a reasonable amount of money or compensation (removal of the group)
B) Didn't compare his issue to a poll about killing the president
C) Didn't have a past history of being a raving nut-job

I'm sure if there was a Facebook group about punching little Timmy in the face which got noticed and ignored you could win that case. Its absolutely ridiculous of course but with the amount of paranoid people and over zealous lawyers in the US at the moment I can see it happening.

Also, somebody with some art talent needs to draw him getting smacked with an atari. I could use a new desktop background.

Asmodai

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
This is actually a pretty smart move.

Start high. Let's say $120 MILLION DOLLARS.

Oh no I lost. I only got $1 MILLION DOLLARS.

Win-win.

If the justice system actually worked like that, Thompson wouldn't be such a bad lawyer.

Oh, I guess now he'll sue NeoGAF too. My bad! :lol

justchris

"There are more than 300 million people in The United States of America and I shall not rest until I have sued them all!"

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
I really do wonder if he's mentally ill. There's just something about reality that he's not grasping.

Cowie

Unrelated, but I sort of wish there was some kind of designation for posters who actually know what the fuck they're talking about re: the law, and those who don't. Because every time someone even mentions the word lawsuit, the internet erupts in an overabundance of armchair lawyers disagreeing and nitpicking and generally dicking about. I'd like to see people get 'Actually a fucking lawyer' tags so I know who to believe >:|

Cowie said:
Unrelated, but I sort of wish there was some kind of designation for posters who actually know what the fuck they're talking about re: the law, and those who don't. Because every time someone even mentions the word lawsuit, the internet erupts in an overabundance of armchair lawyers disagreeing and nitpicking and generally dicking about. I'd like to see people get 'Actually a fucking lawyer' tags so I know who to believe >:|
If I was a lawyer I'd be off doing lawyerly things.

Blow, hookers, etc.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/10/01/one-mouse-click-later-thompson-fb-group-removed

I asked Thompson if he had tried simply clicking on the Report Group link (found at the bottom of every Facebook group) or emailing abuse@facebook.com. According to the Facebook Safety page, complaints submitted via these methods will be addressed within 24 hours and those who email will receive a response within 72 hours detailing what actions, if any, were taken.

He responded by calling me a “total moron.”

So, I browsed Facebook and found about 80 Jack Thompson groups. Most were of the “I Hate Jack Thompson” or “Jack Thompson is a Douche” variety but I did find three that condoned violence towards the man. I picked a group called “I will pay $50 to anyone who punches Jack Thompson in the face” and clicked the Report Group link. Unsurprisingly, the group was removed less than a day later. (Old link to the now deleted group)

Incidentally, this particular group turned out to be the first of four cited in Thompson’s complaint.

So, you’re welcome, Thompson.

Glad I could help.
:lol

Replicant

So no one likes him and he got butthurt.

He should do what most people do: move his thumb out of his ass and stop being a cry-baby.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I like how all this has done was give the group more exposure to get a bunch of people to join. :lol

ashism

Proof that he is suing over this only proves that he takes internet comments and posts very seriously.

That cracks me up, I can see that crazy old fool sitting in front of his computer 10 hours a day just smoldering. Writing down names, checking people off.

You are next Andrew Eisen, he will drink your blood.

IrishNinja said:
this is brilliant. this did more for jack's cause than jack will.

i see you, cat-man. do you see me? look for the pastiness. :D
Seriously?!

Fuckawesome!

Shenmue fans unite!

You're gonna have to help me out man... I see a lot of pastiness.

IrishNinja

...is it too late to hijack this page and turn it into a shenmue 3 campaign? if we could employ the 120 million and find suzuki, i think we've got this.

IrishNinja said:
...is it too late to hijack this page and turn it into a shenmue 3 campaign? if we could employ the 120 million and find suzuki, i think we've got this.
Unfortunately that would accomplish nothing.

Me and Suzuki were just talking about taking Thompsons $120 million and blowing it on booze and loose womens.

John

ashism said:
Proof that he is suing over this only proves that he takes internet comments and posts very seriously.

That cracks me up, I can see that crazy old fool sitting in front of his computer 10 hours a day just smoldering. Writing down names, checking people off.

You are next Andrew Eisen, he will drink your blood.
Dude, video games drive people crazy.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Choppasmith said:
Unbelieveable. JUST when he was starting to fade from memory, he has to go do something stupid again.

Really, Jack?
Attention whores can't be attention whores if you forget about them.

Jamesfrom818 said:
How many members did the group have before this was posted?
200 members like six hours ago.

Probably should have added that bit to my prior post.

You guys are too slow for me.

I need a new post every couple of seconds.

Top Bottom