• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jack Thompson sues Facebook for $120 million

HUELEN10

HEY JACK!
30j5zs8.gif

Frawdder

JT has turned into an attention whore in my mind. He can't do anything in court to get himself in the news anymore, so he has to grab petty things like this to satisfy his needs.

Crazetex

I don't see how this is like assassination when there's no mention of wrapping a controller cord around his neck. Life != A few knocked-out teeth.

There is this rather HUGE difference between threatening to commit an act of terror against the US state (= kill the president) and suggesting that some regular citizen needs to get a good smacking.

Which would hurt, but most likely only do minor damage, if any damage at all. That doesn't make it right, but the up and close and personal scale does imply -to me!- that this is a case of individual agency, not a case of structure laid down by an external authority (state / facebook).

Not to mention the fact that noone actually benefits from giving any regular individual a ridiculous amount of money for "failure". Why does this practise even still exist? You know, post-financial crisis and all...

If this is true, then he actually has a winnable case. Maybe not 120 million, but a winnable case

Actually no, because threatening the president is actually a federal crime, whether you are joking or not. It is like joking "Man, I forgot my glock!" at the airport. Serious or not, it is a crime. That is the reason the presidential threat stuff is pulled down. Threatening a random person is wrong, but it is not the same level of crime (if at all) as threatening the president.

Mommy they laughed at me and made fun of me because I said a bunch of stupid shit again! Quadruplify my allowance bitch!

So who is actually going to draw him getting smacked with a 2600 in paint or on paper? GAF has the best drawings. I am waiting..........

Internet sites can be held responsible for libel, because the courts treat message boards and similar places as 'publishers' (which they are). That said, I don't see how this case will work. I am certain Thompson was libeled in postings, but it will be an extremely difficult case to win.

Furthermore, there is no 'clear and present' danger here. The suggestion of smacking him in the face with a 2600 isn't exactly realistic.

Dumbass. I guess if he gets himself elected President of the United States, he'll have a case. But, oh, yeah, he has trouble keeping the title "attorney."

Edit: Jack Thompson for president! I'll be your campaign manager, Jack.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
+1 on the I hate Jack Thompson group thanks to this. Any press is good press amirite?

Definity

This is the best group I've ever joined on facebook. :lol

F'n guy is like a cockroach, he will be around forever.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Curufinwe said:
What lawyer would be stupid enough to represent Jack Thompson, given that he can't represent himself anywmore?

you don't have to be barred to represent yourself

I guess this is how he plans to make money now that he no longer has a job because he got disbarred for doing exactly what he's still doing.

Jack Thompson, you are stupid. Either that or you've got some form of compulsive attention whore deficit disorder. And I'm not even joking particularly much. There has got to be something wrong with him, right?

billy.sea said:
Can some GAF members make a group that go against me at Facebook, so I can sue them for $120 million too?

I found this funny not only because he is pretty much suing internet users for their comments, he is also overvalue himself for comparing himself to Obama.
According to himself he's the President of the United States of America fighting in the trenches of WW2 on a crusade of God to smite perverts, morons and Hitler. Again, not joking particularly much.

Still, kudos to him for this. ...was going to link to that Jace Hall Show episode but the site appears to have brokened.

If this is true, then he actually has a winnable case. Maybe not 120 million, but a winnable case

no he doesn't, since threatening the president of the united states, even in jest, is a crime, possibly a felony. facebook HAS to take it down.

Jack Thompson is a public figure (due to his media intensive crusading against videogames.) he's intentionally placed himself in the public spotlight and thus has LESS right to privacy than you, I, or any other non public figure does. And it should go without saying that threatening him in jest is NOT a felony.

this lawsuit won't even get to court, it will be dismissed outright.

OMG I GONNA JOIN DAT GROUP NOW

IZE A REVOLUTIONIST

I'D MAKNG A DIFFRENCE FOR THE CAUZE

And you wonder why people like this guy are still relevant.

Many of you make him that way.

Top Bottom