• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its Mandatory Sony's Next System at least Matches Xbox Series X!

onQ123

Sony had help from the beginning of this generation. Microsoft fumbled hard from the onset and continued to do so. Sony was there to pick up the pieces and run with it. As you can see, that didnt happen this time. The TGA announcement was clear, concise and to the point. To knock it out of the park, they introduced a very impressive in-engine trailer from one of their own award winning studios to show the visual targets for next gen visual fidelity.

Pretty much error free. It's going to be real interesting to see how Sony handles a different kind of Microsoft this gen. I look forward to seeing motherfuckers go from moving goal posts to actually just picking up the fucking thing and throwing it across the field. Lol

Had help?

lol

Who helped them?

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You've already stated you dont 'rock their games' when speaking of SONY...so if the X was lower powered than the PS5 it wouldn't sway you to the PS5 camp. So why do you not see the opposite side of this coin. I personally don't care if the PS5 is 'weaker' than a X, there is nothing on the X I wont get on PC and the exclusives on SONY systems are what I enjoy. No one needs to be 'high' or be insulted to hold these views.
Again, (for, like, the nine thousandth time...) power isnt necessary to be a successful console. But....

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Definitive opinions - check

Angry attack posts - check

Lines in sand drawn - check

Wishful thinking - check

Ahhhhhh, that new-car smell of the nextgen battlefront.

A new generation of fanboys...their skills honed by their foregamers teachings. It shall be a battle of epic proportion.

dilbag

im positive power why both systems are going to be close

I just hope Sony has bc, and does upgrade patches that match xbox. its cool that if you buy the xbox one version of halo infinite that MS will upgrade it for free. Plus its cool that all your accessories will work on next gen.

Gavon West

Games and price will always be the two most important factors in consoles selling.

Personally, I care little about price. I'd happily pay $1000 for a console that justifies its price. However, games will always be #1.

PlayStation and Nintendo consoles are day one purchases because of the games. I've always bought Xbox too, but they now need to prove they can bring the games first.
But how old is this argument though? How on earth can you see all of what Microsoft has been doing and achieving just in the last couple of years, and still say they need games? Genuine question, are you serious right now?

I can't tell if this thread is real. Like the assumption is Microsoft is going to crush next gen so hard it's unclear Sony can even compete because... what? Like literally why would anyone think this way? The PS4 has sold over 100 million consoles, X1 is at about 41 million or so. The Switch is outpacing the X1 through the same time frame. The real question is whether or not Microsoft can remain competitive in the console market or are they on their way to being the next SEGA.

nani17

are in a big trouble
The Xbox One X is the most powerful console on the market yet it's still didn't beat the PlayStation 4. I said it a thousand times. It is all about the exclusives and will always be about the exclusives. Yes there are those that are fanboys yes there are those that buy a console because their friends have the same one but most people buy a system for that one or two amazing games no one else has.

I don't care if it 2% better or 10% it's about the games. Remember this gen all the ms fanboys talking about backwards compatibility because that's all they could talk about. They had nothing that matched Sonys exclusives for an entire generation and please don't respond with fanboy I own over 20 plus systems I'm a gamer. The end of the X360 was a shit show of nothing this gen was bad imo the worst console out at the moment and now we're back at "oh they'll do it this time"

We have to wait and see first. Hopefully all companies they bought will get us some amazing new games

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
For example lets go with what we know, "mindshare" . Can the Playstation generate as much hype for their reveal as MS did with Xbox Series X? Will blogs, podcasts and news feeds talk about the reveal for what is going on 5 days now non stop? I certainly hope so.

What are you on about "mindshare"???

I'm the biggest Xbox fangirl around, but even to me it's very obvious that even with all the hype surrounding XSX, Sony still has by far the biggest "mindshare" going into next. MS is the one that needs to up it's mindshare to be more competitive and they are doing a lot of things right, but they have a ways to go to catch up to Sony.

I can't tell if this thread is real. Like the assumption is Microsoft is going to crush next gen so hard it's unclear Sony can even compete because... what? Like literally why would anyone think this way? The PS4 has sold over 100 million consoles, X1 is at about 41 million or so. The Switch is outpacing the X1 through the same time frame. The real question is whether or not Microsoft can remain competitive in the console market or are they on their way to being the next SEGA.
Oh you better believe its real.

Gavon West

This post isnt even based in reality. I cant....

Gavon West

I'm the biggest Xbox fangirl around, but even to me it's very obvious that even with all the hype surrounding XSX, Sony still has by far the biggest "mindshare" going into next. MS is the one that needs to up it's mindshare to be more competitive and they are doing a lot of things right, but they have a ways to go to catch up to Sony.
No one can deny Sony's mindshare. That much is certain. Xbox has a load of work to get to that level. But they are off to a great start!

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Still boggles my brain, when I see subjectively comparitive adjectives used like they're a statement of concrete fact -- like "better", etc.

Just as a case in point: Was a sony fanboy from announcement of PS1, after having followed SNES CD-Rom project near-religiously. Owned every Sony console right up to PS4.

I'd also completely LOATHED and HATED Microsoft for some 3 decades -- for legit reasons from how MS even came to be right along to the fact system securities in Windows is a total joke and responsible for 90% of hacks, nukes, malware, viruses, exploits ever created (very earliest exploits was named WINnuke stemming from code exploit in port 139).

I always swore I'd never own an XBox and was fairly adamant about it. That's right up until late November of 2018. Was getting bored and torn with PS4 (jaded over PS Home and semmed like dry spell in games), and there were MS franchises that I *really* wanted badly wanted to play -- like Sunset Overdrive, Forza, State of Decay.

On a whim I purchased the One S Minecraft bundle. At first I was very reluctant on XBox, first Xbox I'd ever know... proceeded first few months cautiously, worried about an account hack or something equivalent to red-ring... neither ever happened.

Today my PS4 pretty much gathers dust unless I'm playing something I'd already bought for it, like FFXV or RDR2 or COD: Infinite Warfare. I now primarily game on my XBox One S, enjoying the 4K coupling with Ultra high-end 75" 4K TV.

In general, for things I can compare, I can have so many more games on XBox, even ratio-wise. Since PS4 has 500Gb and Xbox 1Tb, it should only be around twice as many games, but in checking right now, there's 7 medium to large games on PS4 before it's nearly full, while on the XBox I seem to have 57 games installed presently, including small games, 360 games, but also games like Black Desert, GTAV, NFS 2015, NFS Payback, Monster Hunter World, Remnant, Rage 2, Outer Worlds, Forza Horizon 4, ReCore, Technomancer, and several others with *still* 32Gb free. I'm seriously not kidding, my mind is BLOWN at how with only double the storage size it manages to store so damn much! (Was getting so tired of PS4 running out of space that I wanted to punt it.)

*Should also be noted, both consoles were purchased brand new, factory specs -- no HDD upgrades and no external HDDs.

Then as stated with graphics, XBox can do 4K output while the PS4 just 1080P. (I also like XBox UI better, PS4 is *too* streamlined.)

The even more bizarre kicker is I super-love third-person narrative-driven open-world RPGs... Sony has tons, so would be logical to be over there... but several recent ones don't speak and resonate with me, so here I be, still on an XBox One S.

Just because on paper something should seem better -- doesn't mean it is, especially if comparing quantity over quality.

EDIT: It all boils down to what boils consumer's fancy.

Last edited:

Read through the posts I'm sure your answer is in there somewhere, but thanks for your opinion.

He’s not wrong, though.
That topic is pretty stupid, considering Playstation was never left in the dust spec-wise. Any person with 10 minutes of googling and not living under a rock would say so
Like I told him/her why are you in a stupid post? Go to a non stupid post and have fun. bye.

You should try because I'd really like to know how you guys can view the world so skewed that the people coming in last place 3 gens in a row are somehow going to win next gen.
Based on historical data no one company is promised victory going into the next-gen, I understand blind faith to a brand but come on now, anything can happen .

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Actually, the original Xbox came in (an extremely distant) second place.

GameCube - 21.74 million
XBox - 24 million
PS2 - 155 million
daleearnhardt5-2x.jpg

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Atari VCS excluded, beat everyone and was the most powerful, too bad wikipedia messed up the gen order and put the 2600 with the Colecovision and 5200.

I guess Gameboy Color would be another example of that though it's portable. It's competition was the Tiger.com and the NeoGeo Pocket color which didn't even fully color in sprites in some games.

But as a general rule that's correct, but ti can help with sales in combination with other factors.
Just my two bits having gamed and grown up through that era, and having tried each system, including Intellivision -- ColecoVision FTW especially with gameplay, Atari adapter, and so many controllers to play everything, even before the Adam came around. :p

Gavon West

You should try because I'd really like to know how you guys can view the world so skewed that the people coming in last place 3 gens in a row are somehow going to win next gen.
360 took last gen, so....

Also, be honest, can you say Sony is going to take next gen with confidence? With all we now know and will know in the future? Xbox has been building and setting pieces relentlessly since Phil Spencer took over. This is indeed a very different Xbox division. I cant say with any certainty, but I'd bet the farm things wont be the same next gen for Sony.

Anyhow, next gen will be much different from the rest in numerous ways. Hardware sold will be simply one metric of success. But, I stand by my opinion that power will definitely play a roll next gen. Even if its by 1%, fanboys will play that up to generational leaps and be done with it, especially if its Sony. If Sony has the power deficit, you can expect Sony fanboys to play it off and sweep it under the rug. If Xbox claims the power crown, "it won't matter". Count on it.

Last edited:
Actually, the original Xbox came in (an extremely distant) second place.

GameCube - 21.74 million
XBox - 24 million
PS2 - 155 million

Yeah I figured but man I really don't want to give these guys credit for it beating Gamecube by 3 million while it lost by 131 million to its competitor

360 took last gen, so....

Anyhow, next gen will be much different from the rest in numerous ways. Hardware sold will be simply one metric of success. But, I stand by my opinion that power will definitely play a roll next gen. Even if its by 1%, fanboys will play that up to generational leaps and be done with it, especially if its Sony. If Sony has the power deficit, you can expect Sony fanboys to play it off and sweep it under the rug. If Xbox claims the power crown, "it won't matter". Count on it.

What does 360 took last gen mean? It's literally third place for consoles sold under the PS3 and Wii. It had the AMERICAN mindshare last gen and was very big out of the gate, the first half of the gen. Sony really flubbed the start of that gen. But the gen is now over and the receipts still have 360 in dead last despite everything they had going for them, things they don't have now.

Disagree. Only if they are asking same $$$ must they match specs.

Sony can release a lower spec console at a lower price with their superior 1st Party support and sell better than a higher priced Xbox spec matched machine.

DanielsM

Banned
First, its not mandatory any manufacturer has to be just equal to competitor, let alone with Microsoft which really doesn't care if it sells plastic.... surely hasn't hurt Nintendo for 25 years.
Second, whether the OP thinks its mandatory or not is basically moot at this point as specs are fairly close to final at this point, although some slight adjustments can be made this late in the hour.

That is why the thread is silly. My guess, is the PS5 will have a decent power to price ratio which is generally more important.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
First, its not mandatory any manufacturer has to be just equal to competitor, let alone with Microsoft which really doesn't care if it sells plastic.... surely hasn't hurt Nintendo for 25 years.
Second, whether the OP thinks its mandatory or not is basically moot at this point as specs are fairly close to final at this point, although some slight adjustments can be made this late in the hour.

That is why the thread is silly.

It's a honeypot thread, and he knows it.

bitbydeath

You do realize consumers were still buying Xboxs even with RROD right?

Also revisionist history? RROD was all oer the news.

No, people on forums point it out but the media doesn’t like to focus on Xbox’s negatives. Like their gaming output being completely abysmal this gen. If that were Sony like the network outage they get burned hard.

That is why the thread is silly. My guess, is the PS5 will have a decent power to price ratio which is generally more important.
I dont get how you think a thread is silly but yet you take your time to participate in said silly thread. I appreciate your contribution though.

Gavon West

Disagree. Only if they are asking same $$$ must they match specs.

Sony can release a lower spec console at a lower price with their superior 1st Party support and sell better than a higher priced Xbox spec matched machine.
Are we just going to ignore the recent acquisitions, awards and announcements of late from Xbox, or....

I mean, if that's how we're gonna play it, I'll try my best but its gonna be hard to do. Im just warning you...

DanielsM

Banned
I dont get how you think a thread is silly but yet you take your time to participate in said silly thread. I appreciate your contribution though.

Because you are spreading nonsense. What you are talking about is basically moot at this point anyhow. What you are saying isn't anything different than the people that were getting hyped over the Xbox One X... most powerful... or the power of cloud nonsense.

Your thread started bad at, "Its mandatory".

Last edited:
Top Bottom